Is BB's Playoff Philosophy at Odds with Himself?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Is BB's Playoff Philosophy at Odds with Himself?

I watched BB: A Coach's Life, Part II on You Tube recently. 2 things jumped out:

1) how BB's time with his dad at Anapolis, a military college prepped BB to adopt mililtary strategy and philosophy to football. 

2) that BB believes if you make 1 mistake in the playoffs you are done. There is no room to recover.

BB's time at Anapolis was very powerful. Everything was about being selfless; giving oneself up for the team so the team could win. There is nothing more simple, yet powerful than this point and it is entirely admirable that BB clung to it and rode it to success. The second point is that the playoff season comes down to 1 game (agreed). A game you must win (agreed) and you cannot make 1 mistake. It is the part of not making any mistakes that injects incredible Pressure and FEAR into the situation. Pressure is inherant in many situations, Fear is counterproductive to accomplishing the goal. 

I cannot say what influence BB's implied philosophy effects execution on the field. Could a philosophy like this cause a team to break down at key points? Could it cause Welker to drop a pass? Asante Samuel to drop a potential interception? I have no answers about this. I can only ask questions. I can only speculate. What I see is a person at odds with himself. A person who believes in the team, believes in sacrificing for the team yet it comes down to winning in the playoffs he dominated by fear of losing via 1 mistake. .What I would like to see is a coach who believes the team will come through no matter what the situation. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Is BB's Playoff Philosophy at Odds with Himself?

I saw that too, but I've also seen (or read) where they place an emphasis of playing fast, loose and super confident. I imagine that as the week goes on (and players work to understand the game plan) that confidence grows. Then you can also throw in a nice stirring pregame speach...then maybe Vince Wilfork and Tom Brady doing some sort of on the field chant (think of Ray Lewis) and I think it's all good.

As far as the Welker drop - there is no way that is from tension or nerves that late in the game...I imagine all the stress, jitters, pressure, was gone by that point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

It's never about one mistake.

On every single snap, someone makes a mistake either proactive or reactive.

There are 22 players on the field for each snap, chances are several players made a mistake.

If you advance, someone or many on D made a mistake, if you don't then someone on O made a mistake or didn't execute.  Even when you do advance on O, it's possible for someone on O to makie a mistake.  missed block or wrong route run.

You just don't want to be the guy that makes "THAT" mistake, (Welker, Samuels), even though it never boils down to "THAT mistake".

The team that makes the least of them usually wins.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

BB is like Lombardi. He strives for perfection and tries to get each player to control his opposite. Do your job!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

In response to NYC's comment:

I watched BB: A Coach's Life, Part II on You Tube recently. 2 things jumped out:

1) how BB's time with his dad at Anapolis, a military college prepped BB to adopt mililtary strategy and philosophy to football. 

2) that BB believes if you make 1 mistake in the playoffs you are done. There is no room to recover.

BB's time at Anapolis was very powerful. Everything was about being selfless; giving oneself up for the team so the team could win. There is nothing more simple, yet powerful than this point and it is entirely admirable that BB clung to it and rode it to success. The second point is that the playoff season comes down to 1 game (agreed). A game you must win (agreed) and you cannot make 1 mistake. It is the part of not making any mistakes that injects incredible Pressure and FEAR into the situation. Pressure is inherant in many situations, Fear is counterproductive to accomplishing the goal. 

I cannot say what influence BB's implied philosophy effects execution on the field. Could a philosophy like this cause a team to break down at key points? Could it cause Welker to drop a pass? Asante Samuel to drop a potential interception? I have no answers about this. I can only ask questions. I can only speculate. What I see is a person at odds with himself. A person who believes in the team, believes in sacrificing for the team yet it comes down to winning in the playoffs he dominated by fear of losing via 1 mistake. .What I would like to see is a coach who believes the team will come through no matter what the situation. 

And Kubiak says play loose and let is fly. I say practice with intense focuss and then let it fly. Playing sports while thinking opposed to reacting or using your instincts is not good. The best players talk about being in the zone or the game moves slow and they can see the whole field. Game of chess is easy if you know your opponents next move. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to thehub's comment:

... I say practice with intense focuss and then let it fly. Playing sports while thinking opposed to reacting or using your instincts is not good. The best players talk about being in the zone or the game moves slow and they can see the whole field. Game of chess is easy if you know your opponents next move. 

I agree with this. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

I don't think Belichick really believes that you cannot recover from mistakes in a football game, whether it be regular season or playoffs. I think he emphasizes the need to not make mistakes to the players so that less mistakes happen in the course of the game. But he probably fully expects SOME mistakes to happen and that he'll have to account and plan for those. He's too great of a coach not to do that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Perfect games are for baseball and bowling. In football if you put up more points than the other team that's good enough for me. Game plans always look great on paper, but if you aren't nimble enough to make in-game adjustments your team is probably screwed. Belichick has shown he is smart enough to prepare his players well and to devise successful game-winning strategies. Is there anybody better?

Sections
Shortcuts