IS BELICHICK MOSTLY TO BLAME FOR THE ADELIUS THOMAS SITUATION?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-SPIKER. Show KOOLAID-SPIKER's posts

IS BELICHICK MOSTLY TO BLAME FOR THE ADELIUS THOMAS SITUATION?

i am a bill guy but overall i believe his personality shortcomings and poor communicational skills have ultimately led to this debacle. fact is AD hasnt changed much from the proud stubborn guy he was in baltimore. he showed poor judgment by having the BRINK's truck special deliver this dude to Foxboro. Even worse, by not working him as he was accustomed like in ravens' defense. and by not giving him basic decency and respect in terms of the lack of communication 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: IS BELICHICK MOSTLY TO BLAME FOR THE ADELIUS THOMAS SITUATION?

Thomas needs to man up and stop crying like a powder puff girl

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dantehopkins. Show dantehopkins's posts

In Response to IS BELICHICK MOSTLY TO BLAME FOR THE ADELIUS THOMAS SITUATION?:
    i am a bill guy but overall i believe his personality shortcomings and poor communicational skills have ultimately led to this debacle. fact is AD hasnt changed much from the proud stubborn guy he was in baltimore. he showed poor judgment by having the BRINK's truck special deliver this dude to Foxboro. Even worse, by not working him as he was accustomed like in ravens' defense. and by not giving him basic decency and respect in terms of the lack of communication 
    Posted by KOOLAID-SPIKER

First of all it's spelled A-d-a-l-i-u-s.

This guys ONLY job, that he gets paid MILLIONS to do it, is to stop people from getting past him on a football field and apparently he's the worst in the league at it...

I'd rather see you explain why the Coach is to blame if a player isn't good at this level of a Professional sport.  I'm pretty sure you wouldn't blame your boss if you couldn't perform at your job.  This isn't developmental JV football.

"The New England Patriots outside linebacker was the NFL's worst tackler, according to ProFootballFocus.com research.

This week, I've been sharing tackle data compiled by ProFootballFocus.com analyst Sam Monson. He constructed a stat called "tackle inefficiency rating," which takes a player's number of missed tackles and solo tackles to come up with an evaluation.

We've already taken a look at how the cornerbacks and safeties fared. Now we'll wrap up the series by breaking down linebacker and defensive lineman grades.

Thomas failed miserably. Of the 436 defenders on the list, he finished dead last. ProFootballFocus.com tallied 18 solo tackles and eight misses for Thomas, giving him a 30.77 TIR. "

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

BB's track record for developing productive LB's is much better/longer than AD's career as a productive LB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I disagree that we have any idea what BB communication skills or personality are.  We don't know him just his media persona and anyone that knows him says he is completely different. 

I would guess there is much more to this story than AD is saying.  I highly doubt that one bad game led to this deal, since many players have had one bad game, I think that's just AD's story.  I would guess that BB wanted him (because he is one of the highest paid players) to be more of a leader and set a standard for the younger guys with his work ethic and attitude. 

AD probably was consistently showing up and going home doing the minimum while other lesser paid guys put in the extra time.  BB probably talked to him about his expectations and this may have led to some generally disgruntled comments about the coaching staff.  Having a big name guy saying negative things about the coaches to younger players can be very cancerous.  Maybe he said he would put extra time in and did  for a few weeks and the staff rewarded him with a game ball but then he returned to his old habits and the coaches saw his poor play as a reflection of poor work ethic and sent him a message by benching him.  Then he showed up late again along with Moss and Guyton and the situation escalated when he went to the media.  BB probably saw him going to the media to complain as the last straw.

Again this is just a guess, but my point is it is more likely that AD's eventual benching was the result of a pattern of behavior and not an isolated incidence. The fact that AD story makes little sense is evidence that he is hiding or ignoring other facts.   Still, I think BB could have diffused the whole situation with a simple conversation, but maybe he felt he had babied him too much anyway.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Nice thread. I wouldn't say he is mostly to blame, but I would say he had a little to do with it. Now do I think Adalious is a dirt bag? Absolutley. But I'm not convinced that Adalious wasn't missed cast a little bit, still that doesn't excuse him from mailing it in last year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I'm drinking the koolaid-spiker. Thomas' job is to do what he's told, collect his huge paycheck and keep his mouth shut. I've had plenty of bosses that I hated and done plenty of jobs that I didn't want to do. You keep your mouth shut and do it. There's nothing I hate more than listening to guys at work whine about work. Life isn't fair, work Sukkks and things seldom go the way you want them to. Big deal...Thomas' fault 100%.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Best thing Thomas could do is show up at camp and say "I'm ready!" and go out and give it 100%. He should be using all this bad press as fuel. I think the reaction to the off-field stuff was just an extension of the lack of on-field play and desire. The Patriots expected a LOT more out of this guy. If I were in his shoes, I'd be a man about it, be quiet and do the talking on the field. Show us we were all wrong Adalius!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

I'd say it was both their faults. Remember, at one point AT was a rah-rah guy in the locker room - he bought the team "I eat humble pie" t-shirts.

AT hasn't met "expectations". But is it the player or is it the system?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimNotJimmy. Show JimNotJimmy's posts

Bill doesn't have poor communication skills. He comes off like he does to the media but alot of players over the years have said he's practically the nicest guy in the world and very personable. Thomas is just a big stubborn baby

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Who knows?  It's like any employer/employee relationship...sometimes it's spectacular and both benefit, sometimes things just don't work out.  Once tarnished it's almost impossible to change.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RealtyPats. Show RealtyPats's posts

It is Belichick's fault.  Not because of what happended last year because BB got him to NE.  Everything good or bad regarding personnell in NE goes thru Belichick he's the top of the pecking order, BUT he's got an amazing track record.... resurrecting careers, getting the most of his players and taking probem players (Moss and Dillion) and getting them to buy into our system is as impressive as what he did with this organization the last decade.  No one is perfect who would have known Adalius would turn into a little cry baby. For a big intimading guy he's got a fragile little ego, he probably goes into the corner and cries when Belichick gives him and critisism.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

bb's fault? ad's? does it really matter to the team now whose fault it is? ultimately, ad won't play in ne.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: IS BELICHICK MOSTLY TO BLAME FOR THE ADELIUS THOMAS SITUATION?:
    bb's fault? ad's? does it really matter to the team now whose fault it is? ultimately, ad won't play in ne.
    Posted by seattlepat70

I say keep him. He's in the last year of his contract. Let him play it out.

His incentive? Play well or possibly get a lousy contract the following year....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Posted by KOOLAID-SPIKER

Yep, Belichick is to blame....he should have talked Harrison and Bruschi into not retiring......should not have made that great Seymour trade....should not have traded big mouth Vrable to KC with an overpaid Cassell for a second round pick last year.......

I am joking of course.....but maybe Belichick expected the team's leadership to come from elsewhere....and it didn't.....that backfired. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Yes he's at fault for expecting men to be men, for high paid players to be a leader on and off the field.  To play in his scheme and at a high level.  That is not to say they can't question or suggest anything to BB.

Remember an interview Willie did a few years ago talking about the developing of the OLB in the BB D.  Bill had a different positions doing different roles and Willie asked him to consider letting him (sorry but don't remember all he said) cover and do other things and he did.  After that OLBs evolved in BB 3 4 D to what they are now.  I'll try to look for the interview but that is what BB expects from a leader and player.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I do think both parties have some share in the blame here.  Adalius started doing the squeaky wheel thing and joking to the media about in house stuff, and that doesn't fly.  If there's truth to how his injury was handled, that wasn't cool either.  Personally I think he is still one of the best at his position and if utilized properly could give us an outstanding year before we part ways with him.  Would love to see BB and him sit down, hash this out and come to a mutual understanding and mindset. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Posted by KOOLAID-SPIKER

Reg122, is that you?  The most annoying troll of 2009 has returned.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: IS BELICHICK MOSTLY TO BLAME FOR THE ADELIUS THOMAS SITUATION?:
    "If the Orders are not Clear" it is the fault of the General "If their is Insubordination"" it is the fault of the General The Art of War... Sun Tzu
    Posted by bobbysu

I like this line of thought.  Of course, Sun Tzu could say this because in those days, the General could just execute someone who was insubordinate.  My thoughts:

1. I blame AD for being a legend in his own mind and being too vocal.  I can only guess he's also a cancer in the locker room.

2. I blame BB for not assessing this guy well enough before we signed him.  He was clearly not a difference maker in our scheme.  That said, I don't think he was a bad player either.  He was just OK.  

3. Since there is no salary cap hit this year, I will blame BB if he both remains on the roster and still disrupts the chemistry this year.  I'll be real surprised if that happens though.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

"If the Orders are not Clear" it is the fault of the General "If their is Insubordination"" it is the fault of the General The Art of War... Sun Tzu
    Posted by bobbysu

That would make sense if that were the case.....it isn't.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

http://www.patspulpit.com/2010/4/19/1429355/new-england-patriots-links-4-19-10?ref=CBS

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Not at all. Bill tried to change his game up and make him play something else so that he didnt rush the passer as much.

Nope he didnt want that and took it as a smack at his game. Bill tried to help the punk and he took it as an insult. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

I do blame Bill, he should have known he was a crybaby little girl! Of course I say that from across the country LoL. I just wish AD would be a team player and DO HIS JOB!

Sections
Shortcuts