Is Ben Watson the odd guy out?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

Is Ben Watson the odd guy out?

I hope it's not the case. I will always remember him for the play in Denver playoff game where he ran diagonally more than 100 yards down the field to prevent Champ Baily from scoring a touch down.

However, with the talent the team has added in Chris Baker and Alex Smith; and Thomas you have to wonder. He has had a bit of the injury bug lately.

I do recall Belicheck saying this is the most talented group of Tight Ends he has ever worked with.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Re: Is Ben Watson the odd guy out?

If Baker keeps it up Watson could be traded. They wont cut him cause he is too cheap but they might trade him if they can get something for him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

To tell the truth I don't know how he stuck this long.  The dude is always injured and can't catch the ball.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gapc. Show gapc's posts

I'm sure KC will take him.  They seem to be stockpiling former Patriots.

As for that play against Denver, I have always thought that the ball went out of bounds in the end zone and not at the 1.  It should have been a touchback.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

MVPkilla, I was thinking the same thing. I have to imagine someone would be willing to part with a late round draft pick for him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

Watson can be had for a 3rd round pick ..... My thoughts are a fourth would be a deal clincher for most clubs desperate at TE

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

Except that BB has been praising him a lot lately, making it seem that he is #1 and the others are competing for the other numbers.  But perhaps te build-up is part of his trade scenario---but i very much doubt it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrtm70. Show mrtm70's posts

In Response to Re: Is Ben Watson the odd guy out?:
    Except that BB has been praising him a lot lately, making it seem that he is #1 and the others are competing for the other numbers.  But perhaps te build-up is part of his trade scenario---but i very much doubt it.
    Posted by jcappy

But this might be a sales tactic too...I live in FL so I cought the re-play & I think they where saying that the Eagles might need a TE...not sure if I'm remembering correctly or not though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rowech. Show rowech's posts

They'll keep B Watson - reason I think they keep 4 TE's is they have no true FB on the roster. I think you'll see ALOT of Dave Thomas in the FB position this year... Baker, Smith, Watson, and Thomas will be the 4 TE's kept... Perhaps BB has something up his sleeve where they have 3 (maybe all 4) of them line up against smaller CB's in short distance situations...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

If Baker keeps it up Watson could be traded. They wont cut him cause he is too cheap but they might trade him if they can get something for him.
    Posted by MVPkilla

Should atleast be able to get a 5th round pick that they sent to Tampa for Smith.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

4 TE's on this roster?...no way, unless someone or 2 gets hurt.  This will be a tough season to make 53...the cuts will get signed quickly.  The D line looks very deep and there is the usual scramble in the secondary and at LB, with high draft picks in the mix....some familiar names may be leaving.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Here is an idea, this is something I thought about a couple of years ago. We have seen Watson chase guys down the length of the field on more than on occassion. No one has ever questioned his physical abilities, he is a monster. Is he just out of position? How about Ben as a pass rushing line backer/DE (i.e. the Willie McGinness Elephant role). He has the size, speed and strenght, to blow past tackles and could be a force.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Ben and Lawrence should skip off into the sunset together!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OutofTownPATS Fan. Show OutofTownPATS Fan's posts

Posted by MVPkilla

i agree with keeping Baker and trading Watson for a mid round pick next year , BUT if Baker continues to wear yankee hats in the clubhouse for interviews i would send his a@%$ packing to cincinnati

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomar5forever. Show nomar5forever's posts

They should trade Watson and a first rounder to SF for Crabtree

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Ben and Lawrence should skip off into the sunset together!
    Posted by NEGAME

The NFL is my reality TV.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

....maybe....but we still need to see Smith and Thomas play to get a better idea as to how worried should Watson be....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

The Eagles are desperate for a TE.  The announcers were even saying that with all the TE's the Pats have, the Eagles need to keep a close eye on the Pats to see who gets cut.  I know Killa would hate to have Watson go to the Eagles, and he's probably right.  Then again, I can think of few people I'd rather see have a potentially game-winning TD pass thrown to by the opponent than Watson.  Just when it looks like we might lose the game, the ball would slide through his fingers and hit the ground.  

What would even make me happier would be for the opponent to not only have Watson on that potentially game winning drive, but also our friend Caldwell.  His bug-eyed look when he dropped the pass against the Colts that year was priceless.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 12greg. Show 12greg's posts

I like Ben but Chris Baker looked SHARP!!!........... he just needs to lose the yankee hat!!!!!!!1

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

You guys realize that Baker was born in New York don't you? Do you expect him to become an instant Sox fan because he was signed by the Pats? That would be like one of you getting a job in NY and your neighbors expecting you to wear a Yankee hat.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

DeVree is the odd man out. He's got good hands, but on the talented TE depth chart the Patriots have, he doesn't stand much of a chance.
    I think Baker has done well enough to earn himself a place on the 53. Watson, Thomas and Smith are fighting for (IMHO) two roster spots, and it appears to be a tight race. I think we'll have a better idea of who is doing better after two more preseason games.
    Could the Patriots keep four TE's? Sure, it is possible, but I'm not sure the position is that valuable. Especially when one considers that some RBs, OL and LBs can fill in at TE (and FB, which appears to be a part of the TE's duties this year)--certainly several versatile Patriots can be that "fourth TE". 

Sections
Shortcuts