Is Bill Belichick in need of HELP? This is Crazy!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BloodnGutz. Show BloodnGutz's posts

Re: Is Bill Belichick in need of HELP? This is Crazy!

In Response to Re: Is Bill Belichick in need of HELP? This is Crazy!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Bill Belichick in need of HELP? This is Crazy! : OK here is one for you:  what happened to the previous dynasties?  The 60's Packers, 70's Steelers, 80's Niners, and 90's Cowboys?  All had prolonged periods of decline. The Patriots worst post title year is a 10-6 division title year.  BB is rebuilding while remaining relevant each year.  He has a championship level offense, solid special teams,  and a young defense.  For someone that has watched for 35 years you sure are ignorant.    
    Posted by Encinitas[/QUOTE]

Encinits, I respect you have your opinion but my concern isnt over actually winning the games as foolish as that sounds. My point is , Bill B is seemingly taking the team building into his own accord and you cant do that. No matter how good you are you cannot have your eyes, ears and mind everywhere at once. You have to trust others to help you.  Do you really think he built the Giants D when he was there or Parcels had somthing to do with it.

All Im trying to say is he should get help, the reason the Patriots are in it almost every year as many say is due to Tom Brady. Take away Tommy boy and will they do well? I dont know. The other point is Im tired of the Wal Mart quality runningbacks. 

I dont expect any football team to win it every year or even come close, but for Gods sakes, get a running back and some other quality people please!
    ITs really that simple.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In Response to Is Bill Belichick in need of HELP? This is Crazy!:
    [QUOTE]OK, before anyone goes Bombs Away insane lets just look at some facts here ok? 1) 5 running backs, (2 on pre injury watch, 1 a 3rd downer, 1 inept dancer, and 1 hopeful)...................isnt it time to just get 2 real running backs for Gawd sakes? 2) NO rushing linebackers......enough said about that. 3) Receivers- finally stacked. 4) Secondary is a constant question in progress. Once again the so called Genius of Defense cant seem to put a decent defense together.  Sorry folks, you can hate on me all you want but these are just simple truths.        No Im not saying take the Kool-Aid, Im just saying  this seems rather ridiculous for a guy that lives and breaths DEFENSE! I still think BB takes on too much and it now shows more than ever. You have to have other input in order to reach a common goal. Yes thank Gawd we still have Brady, and now a great looking offense, but hwo far will that go with a defense that is in question every week? All Im saying is for a guy hailed as a Genius, he seems to be having some very big problems. I hope for the best but facts are facts and once again, this defense is going to be a year long project in motion.  Too many games are going to come down to who has the ball at the last 2 minute drill.
    Posted by BloodnGutz[/QUOTE]

1 - Five RBs are a lot I must admit.  It wasn't a high priority going into the off seasons so I see why this was but to the side.  The Pats did have other pressing needs.  Time I feel has run out and something will have to be done next year.
    2 - I don't know what Belichick really looks at in an OLB.   The other thing is looking at how the draft went the past two years Belichick thought that the defensive backfield was a bigger issue.  I really didn't like the idea of Cunningham missing so much time.
    3 - yep.
    4 - I differ from you here.  With Bodden this would be a very different looking DB squad.  Very young and talented.  It takes a couple of years for DBs to get the hang of it.  Revis wasn't Revis until last year.

On the defense rant what would you have him do?  He's trying to build through the draft.  Again, if Ty Warren isn't on the IR the DL is very sound.  The only thing you're looking at is can Cunningham get to the QB.  But because of injuries this defense is on shakey ground.  The number one reason is youth.  They have to get experience and it's going to be painful on the way. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

BloodnGutz:

1) Who cares how long you've been a Pats fan?  Longevity doesn't lend any more credence to your posts. Been one over 45 years myself and I'm no smarter than you (not saying much based on your original post)

2) Try not to become confused between fact and opinion. 

3)  9 consecutive winning seasons, 3 S/B wins, always in contention - yep BB is losing it alright.

4)  Come back and talk to me about Rex Ryan and his defense after he's put together a couple of consecutive winning seasons.

My 2 cents.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Bill Belichick in need of HELP? This is Crazy! : Encinits, I respect you have your opinion but my concern isnt over actually winning the games as foolish as that sounds. My point is , Bill B is seemingly taking the team building into his own accord and you cant do that. No matter how good you are you cannot have your eyes, ears and mind everywhere at once. You have to trust others to help you.  Do you really think he built the Giants D when he was there or Parcels had somthing to do with it. All Im trying to say is he should get help, the reason the Patriots are in it almost every year as many say is due to Tom Brady. Take away Tommy boy and will they do well? I dont know. The other point is Im tired of the Wal Mart quality runningbacks.  I dont expect any football team to win it every year or even come close, but for Gods sakes, get a running back and some other quality people please! ITs really that simple.

You do realize that when Cassell took over in 08, by the time the playoffs started, his Pats were far more playoff ready than Brady's 07 or 09 teams.  We were blowing people out down the stretch with a far better running game, and our O line was winning the physical battles in the trenches.  This was more because of the balance of the offense.  Brady changed his whole game, and yes his stats were far superior his past 2 years, but our O line was very passive, and believed they were invincible.  when Michael Strachan asked his defensive front after the first few sets of downs or so in the SB if we were actually trying to block them, Pats fans felt offended, but it was true.  Not once in SB week interviews did I hear Brady or any other Pats player even mention they were playing the Giants on Sunday.  All I heard was if we win we make history.  BB gave them permission to speak of such things, because there were no other games after that.  Well we weren't trying to block the Giants front line, and we were pathetic. On the other hand, our Defense played their hearts out all game. When we lost and every Pats fan blamed our D.  Our D played spectacular, and if our offense was so great, we should have smoked the Giants.  Like last year, our offense kept placing our D in bad predicaments all the time.  It couldn't get a drive going if it wanted to.  

At the end of the 08 season, that Cassell offense was playing smash mouth football, much better playoff ready than Brady's last two years.  Even our 06 Reche Caldwell offense was better.  At least we scored some points and moved the  ball against the Colts in that AFC title game, scoring more than twice the points in that loss, 34 than this greatest offense scored in their 2 playoff losses, 14 points in 2 games is 28 points, a disgrace.  it was more of offensive philosophy than talent.  Brady stopped being Brady, and now we will see if he starts spreading the wealth, and running it no matter what.  I have said this again and again since early 07 that I take Patten, Branch, and Givens over Moss, Welker, and Stallworth any day of the week.  They all always stepped up, all could score in the clutch of the biggest games, the playoffs and SBs, where this team now could be stopped.  I got killed on this spread for saying this, and now a few are seeing how pass happy teams usually get burned in the playoffs.  You still need to show at least a little something in the trenches, not just finesse pass blocking.

Do I take Brady over Cassell?  Yes, but Brady forgot what got him here.  The first thing a QB does is manages his offense, his team, and not just be a chucker.  Brady has become too much of a chucker, and this has to change.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

BloodnGuts = Albie

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Let's try to be "fair and balanced" here.  

On the positive side. BB has kept this team playing at a very high level for a full decade.  That's a rare accomplishment.  The results make it hard to second-guess anything BB does. 

On the negative side.  There are things that BB does that do raise questions:
    • The lack of experienced offensive and defensive coordinators since Crennel and Weis left.  It seems to me that BB could benefit from some help--or at least other points of view--here.  Schemes seem a little  stale at times.
    • The mixed results with talent acquisition over the past few years. Generally, I think BB's value approach (i.e., stockpiling draft picks) makes sense.  But I sometimes wonder if he's leans too much to maximizing theoretical value and as a result leaves us with some damaging gaps in real talent.  At times, these gaps force him away from the value strategy--as in the Thomas and Burgess acquisitions where he ended up paying (in picks and dollars) a lot for guys that didn't pan out.  Using those picks (and dollars) to move up in the draft and pick a good young OLB might have been a better strategy.  But then hindsight is 20/20 and no one has a crystal ball.  Look at Leinart.  
    Overall, I trust BB is doing the right thing, but I think BloodnGutz also raises some fair issues to at least think about. The answer will come over the next few seasons when we see whether this team gets better or worse.  Honestly, I think the team has some significant holes right now, but I think this last draft was a great one--and one or two more good drafts could make the Pats a dominant force in the league once again. What's amazing is this team is definitely rebuilding--and it remains competitive.  That too is a pretty nice accomplishment for which BB deserves a lot of credit.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Is Bill Belichick in need of HELP? This is Crazy!:
    [QUOTE]OK, before anyone goes Bombs Away insane lets just look at some facts here ok? 1) 5 running backs, (2 on pre injury watch, 1 a 3rd downer, 1 inept dancer, and 1 hopeful)...................isnt it time to just get 2 real running backs for Gawd sakes? 2) NO rushing linebackers......enough said about that. 3) Receivers- finally stacked. 4) Secondary is a constant question in progress. Once again the so called Genius of Defense cant seem to put a decent defense together.  Sorry folks, you can hate on me all you want but these are just simple truths.        No Im not saying take the Kool-Aid, Im just saying  this seems rather ridiculous for a guy that lives and breaths DEFENSE! I still think BB takes on too much and it now shows more than ever. You have to have other input in order to reach a common goal. Yes thank Gawd we still have Brady, and now a great looking offense, but hwo far will that go with a defense that is in question every week? All Im saying is for a guy hailed as a Genius, he seems to be having some very big problems. I hope for the best but facts are facts and once again, this defense is going to be a year long project in motion.  Too many games are going to come down to who has the ball at the last 2 minute drill.

Dude I told you that you would get killed. Ten years from now people will look back and say wow what a great run, but they left too much on the table. THey could of won more, they had the best QB and best coach. THey played in a poor division for a long time and the NFC was a joke for a majority of it. Add in the fact that they had to worry about the Colts (always a possibility that Manning would choke) and Pittsburgh (who were never as well coached) and there wasn't a lot out there during the run for them to worry about. THere was no 49ers, Cowboys, super dominating defenses or other world class QB's to deal with.
    Am I spoiled? Hell yeah!! I love watching and expect the best from people that get payed that much and make a living by playing and running a game. They got to cute and thought they were smarter than they were...Not the first time something like this has happened and it won't be the last. The product they will put on the field this year will not be good enough. Period! I went to too many games last year to notice that. Do I compare them to the Super Bowl teams? Hell yeah! Because those are teams that would win it all, this one is not. Twenty years ago I would have been delighted to just make the play-offs and have a (chance) to win every year, with Brady that's no longer good enough. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BloodnGutz. Show BloodnGutz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Is Bill Belichick in need of HELP? This is Crazy! : Dude I told you that you would get killed. Ten years from now people will look back and say wow what a great run, but they left too much on the table. THey could of won more, they had the best QB and best coach. THey played in a poor division for a long time and the NFC was a joke for a majority of it. Add in the fact that they had to worry about the Colts (always a possibility that Manning would choke) and Pittsburgh (who were never as well coached) and there wasn't a lot out there during the run for them to worry about. THere was no 49ers, Cowboys, super dominating defenses or other world class QB's to deal with. Am I spoiled? Hell yeah!! I love watching and expect the best from people that get payed that much and make a living by playing and running a game. They got to cute and thought they were smarter than they were...Not the first time something like this has happened and it won't be the last. The product they will put on the field this year will not be good enough. Period! I went to too many games last year to notice that. Do I compare them to the Super Bowl teams? Hell yeah! Because those are teams that would win it all, this one is not. Twenty years ago I would have been delighted to just make the play-offs and have a (chance) to win every year, with Brady that's no longer good enough. 
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]
    Well gentlemen, thank you all for your thoughts whether you think Im a troll or not.
    Yes the Patriots won in the past but this isnt the past.
    AND QUASI, you are right, I would have traded BRADY and kept Casell big time, used Brady for bait to get a whopping defense and win another 3 SUper Bowls.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveB7SFG. Show SteveB7SFG's posts

I for one am glad that Bill Belichick is as horrible a coach as he is, 112-48 and 14-4 in the playoffs. I too have been a fan since the mid - '60s and can't remember any decades like the organization has had like the past one.

The last few drafts with Scott Pioli were definitely misses, the past two with BB and Nick Caserio are too soon to tell whether they will hit or miss.

The running back position does need to be overhauled next draft, and with two 1st round picks, I think it will be addressed. But even during the SB years except for the one with Corey Dillon, they weren't a juggernaut rushing anyway. Unless Antwain Smith was a juggernaut.

All of the gloom and doom before the first game is a bit premature, I will be the first to say that many questions linger on defense. The secondary wasn't one of them. Until Bodden and McGowan got hurt, I would look at that as position of strength. The pass rush and and the edges in the running game are the two biggest areas of concern. Sacks don't tell the story, QB pressure does. The Jets, with that genius Ryan (not my opinion) had only one more sack than the Patriots did last year, but were much better at pressure.

But until they actually play a few games that count, I'd be willing to give the guy whose record is 112-48 the benefit of the doubt.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Some posters only come here to be negative. They call themselves realists. I call them pessimists. The reality is right here:

[QUOTE]I for one am glad that Bill Belichick is as horrible a coach as he is, 112-48 and 14-4 in the playoffs. I too have been a fan since the mid - '60s and can't remember any decades like the organization has had like the past one. The last few drafts with Scott Pioli were definitely misses, the past two with BB and Nick Caserio are too soon to tell whether they will hit or miss. The running back position does need to be overhauled next draft, and with two 1st round picks, I think it will be addressed. But even during the SB years except for the one with Corey Dillon, they weren't a juggernaut rushing anyway. Unless Antwain Smith was a juggernaut. All of the gloom and doom before the first game is a bit premature, I will be the first to say that many questions linger on defense. The secondary wasn't one of them. Until Bodden and McGowan got hurt, I would look at that as position of strength. The pass rush and and the edges in the running game are the two biggest areas of concern. Sacks don't tell the story, QB pressure does. The Jets, with that genius Ryan (not my opinion) had only one more sack than the Patriots did last year, but were much better at pressure. But until they actually play a few games that count, I'd be willing to give the guy whose record is 112-48 the benefit of the doubt.
    Posted by SteveB7SFG[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

For you Gutz---

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=tsn-166944

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BloodnGutz. Show BloodnGutz's posts

[QUOTE]For you Gutz--- http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=tsn-166944
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]
    Listen to me very closely.......Bill Belichick has lost his mind, he's kicking out the entire defense and going to play all the positions himself

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm not going to pretend that all his picks worked out, because well a lot haven't, but lets take a realistic look at what has happened in the last 3 years.

TE: Before we had Graham (very good blocker but not much of a redzone threat) and Watson (serviceable TE but you don't want a serviceable TE as your #1). This year he drafted 2. Gronk looks like the second coming of Coates and lets be honest, he has a great shot of being the best TE taken from the draft. Hernandez is more of a hybrid H-Back but can come in as a FB in short yards or swing out to slot. Combine them and this gives teams heartburn trying to figure out the best match up to cover both.

WR: With Moss and Welker this wasn't a huge concern but neither Moss nor Welker will be here forever. Edelman, although not as game play quick as Welker, is a bit bigger and seems to be straight line faster. He's going to make a deadly #2/3 wr for years to come. Tate is showing great signs of the speedy elusive #2 we've been waiting for that might one day turn into a #1. Price is still learning but has shown great flashes with his hands and ability to create separation.

ILB: We once had an incredible core but they did age and needed to retire. In it's place we've added Mayo who was a rookie defensive player of the year and looks to be a very smart player who can setup the D. Now he was injured last year so it's hard to say if he will continue his 08' play or if he'll be the 09' average ILB. Guyton an UDFA, although he isn't a starter he is a very strong backup. Spikes is not as smart as Mayo and his speed has shown to hinder his ability to cover TE's but is an extremely instinctual player.

CB: CB has been a huge weakness. McCourty has shown flashes of being a shut down corner with huge upside. Butler has also shown to be a very good cover corner. Both are very young but are developing quicker then expected.  Wilhite will never be a starter but has been a reliable nickel CB. Provided he's only used as a #3/4 CB I think he will also be fine

S: It's hard to replace a Harrison but I see a lot of Harrison in Chung. Merriweather will never be a Harrison but if you let him be a roaming S covering over top he's a pro-bowl caliber safety

Argue with any of the above you want but that's 5 positions completely rebuilt in 3 years and we have 4 more top 64 picks next year to rebuild a couple more positions (OLB, DE, RB hopefully). I'd like to see any coach attempt to do the same and still manage to win 10+ games every year.

14. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts