Is Brady a system QB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ColtsPacersFan1. Show ColtsPacersFan1's posts

Is Brady a system QB

I know * Nation is stinging from the loss.  As a Colts fan Im not feeling as bad as I did last week losing to the Jets.  But I am not gonna be disrespectful here.  Pats had a good season and will be tough next year.

Ive always felt Brady was only a good system QB.  its a compliment to the Coach you have more than anything.  Though he is a rule breaker no doubt.  tarnished his legacy imo.

still, Brady and Cassel had very similar #'s the first full season as a starter.  in fact cassels #s are comparable to Bradys three seasons.

I agree Brady is good.  Has more to do with Lombardis than ability.  If Tuck Fumble is called correctly gone is 1.  needed AV's help to do it.

I think spygate helped the pats have HF advantage vs the Colts twice.  Colts still should have won.  gained HF winning in regular season *

I think Brady is a good system QB.  Im not gonna confirm it until later, but I dont think Brady is great.

Its always said 18 has better wr's.  i argue Bradys line is better, and surrounding team including defense.

any pats fans disagree that brady is a system qb.?  much like cassel.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Is Brady a system QB

On a roll aren't you?  Every QB plays in the system devised by the team they play for.  Manning is a QB of the Colts system, Brees of the Saints system blah blah blah.  Need I go on?  I see you are also one of those fans duped by spygate.  You really believe that crap too?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Gee, where to begin.  How about at the beginning:

-  Yes, Pats fans are stinging from the loss - it's disappointing as you well know.
    -  Is Brady a system QB?  Who isn't.  By the very nature of their position, they are charged with executing the offense.  The offense is called by the o-coord.  The o-coord works for the head coach and together they work the offensive game plan.  So yeah, TB's a system QB - so is Manning, Brees, and all other QBs.
    -  With regard to Brady...."has more to do with Lombardis than ability."  Don't really know what you're talking about with that bon mot.
    -  "If Tuck Fumble is called correctly, gone is 1."  No so fast Einstein - it's the "tuck rule," and it was called correctly.  Hence, there was no fumble.  Fortunate - yes, but we still had to take advantage of a fortuitous turn of events.  The "rule" didn't give us a score or the game, it gave us a chance.  The Raider's D then spit the bit.
    -  Who's better, TB or PM:  this will continue to be debated until long after each one retires.  But in this year, it really doesn't matter because they both will be watching the SB from the couch.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ColtsPacersFan1. Show ColtsPacersFan1's posts

Im not the sharpest pencil in the box, give you that but I know football.  System QB you need to look it up.  Means the player only excels in the specific system alas Matt Cassel.

The #s do not mislead.  Cassel and Bradys stats are very similar with the exception of 07.  If Cassel can step into the offense in his first full season, and put up #'s similar to Brady, my statement is supported.

Secondly, Great Qb's like Elway, Montana, Marino, Favre, and 18 can step into any offense and excel.

Insert Manning on the Panthers and they are a playoff team.  With Brady they are not going to make the playoffs.  Purely hypothetical but im basically saying that without Belicheat, Brady would have three less rings and seen as only a dink and dunk qb who manages the game.

sorry pats fan, its belicheat that deserves the credit.  nvr thought a coach was worth a first round draft pick to acquire but bb proved otherwise.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In Response to Re: Is Brady a system QB:
    Im not the sharpest pencil in the box, give you that but I know football.  System QB you need to look it up.  Means the player only excels in the specific system alas Matt Cassel. The #s do not mislead.  Cassel and Bradys stats are very similar with the exception of 07.  If Cassel can step into the offense in his first full season, and put up #'s similar to Brady, my statement is supported. Secondly, Great Qb's like Elway, Montana, Marino, Favre, and 18 can step into any offense and excel. Insert Manning on the Panthers and they are a playoff team.  With Brady they are not going to make the playoffs.  Purely hypothetical but im basically saying that without Belicheat, Brady would have three less rings and seen as only a dink and dunk qb who manages the game. sorry pats fan, its belicheat that deserves the credit.  nvr thought a coach was worth a first round draft pick to acquire but bb proved otherwise.
    Posted by ColtsPacersFan1

"I know football."  Don't know if I agree with that - seems PM's had the same offensive coaching for quite some time.  Let me ask you this: would you rather have a "dink and dunk" passer that led your team to three SBs, or one who is a "field general," and led your team to one SB? 

You mention "great Qb's Secondly, Great Qb's like Elway, Montana, Marino, Favre", but didn't include PM in that august group.  You don't think PM's great?  Also:
    - Elway didn't win until Denver got a very good RB.  Also, Shanahan (I know, bad speller) - is famous for his "system."  Just ask Donovan McNabb.  Is it a coincidence that Elway didn't win a SB until he ceased slinging the ball around?  I think not.
    - Montana was the epitome of the "system QB" - he ran Walsh's "west coast offense."
    - Marino never won a thing.  So if he wasn't a "system" QB, maybe he should have tried being one.
    - Farve had one SB and lots of playoff wins - he also had great defenses.  Heck, if it hadn't have been for their special teams, they may not have won the one SB they did.
    -  I think there's a difference between a QB that can improvise when the play breaks down and a system QB.  Any good QB, "system" or not will make positive yardage on busted or initially well-defended plays.  Brady, despite yesterday's stinker, does that with aplumb.

You mention "and 18 can step into any offense and excel. Insert Manning on the Panthers and they are a playoff team."  Perhaps you're right, we'll never know unless he signs with a losing team.  That said, playoffs are one thing, SBs are another.  Every year 12 teams make the playoffs, but only one wins the big prize.  But if PM was so great - how come he didn't beat the Jets?

In the end, I'd rather have a team with 3 recent (last 10 years) SBs than an all-world, non-system QB with one or none.  But to each his own.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ColtsPacersFan1. Show ColtsPacersFan1's posts

At least you realize there is a such thing as system QB's.  most nfl fans are too dense and that esp includes some pats fans.

like shannahans rushing offensive system, doesnt matter who you plug in they will excel.  same with Belicheat is true.

as far as the QB I would want, hands down Manning.. the surrounding team brady has had with a defense during the early 00's i would prefer over the colts D no doubt.

I still have faith the Colts can win 3 of 5 going forward.  it will be interesting to see the offseason both teams have.  I like the Colts chances with a healthier roster next year.

as far as GQ Brady.. no thanks, Peyton is a better qb.  this year was one of the least dissapointing because i lowered expectations for the first time in awhile. 

I think the decline of the Pats is imminent.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Good thing it doesn't matter what you think.  Go back to watching your sister shower.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Im not the sharpest pencil in the box, give you that but I know football.  System QB you need to look it up.  Means the player only excels in the specific system alas Matt Cassel. The #s do not mislead.  Cassel and Bradys stats are very similar with the exception of 07.  If Cassel can step into the offense in his first full season, and put up #'s similar to Brady, my statement is supported. Secondly, Great Qb's like Elway, Montana, Marino, Favre, and 18 can step into any offense and excel. Insert Manning on the Panthers and they are a playoff team.  With Brady they are not going to make the playoffs.  Purely hypothetical but im basically saying that without Belicheat, Brady would have three less rings and seen as only a dink and dunk qb who manages the game. sorry pats fan, its belicheat that deserves the credit.  nvr thought a coach was worth a first round draft pick to acquire but bb proved otherwise.

Sharpest pencil in the box? You're not even the smallest pink crayon on the floor of a preschool classroom. Which of course puts you in the top 10% of Colts fans when it comes to football knowledge

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

At least you realize there is a such thing as system QB's.  most nfl fans are too dense and that esp includes some pats fans. like shannahans rushing offensive system, doesnt matter who you plug in they will excel.  same with Belicheat is true. as far as the QB I would want, hands down Manning.. the surrounding team brady has had with a defense during the early 00's i would prefer over the colts D no doubt. I still have faith the Colts can win 3 of 5 going forward.  it will be interesting to see the offseason both teams have.  I like the Colts chances with a healthier roster next year. as far as GQ Brady.. no thanks, Peyton is a better qb.  this year was one of the least dissapointing because i lowered expectations for the first time in awhile.  I think the decline of the Pats is imminent.

With respect to me "realizing there is such a thing as a system QB," I think I did poorly communicating my opinion - I say all good QBs are "system" QBs, including some that you mentioned, and Manning.  I can understand your preference for Manning, but isn't football a team sport?  And isn't the goal of that team to win a SB?  Heck, I could care less "how" a team wins (powerhouse O, powerhouse D, or just good across the board), as long as they win.  As far as the "decline of the Pats being imminent," that's what folks have been saying for years.  The 1 SB was a "fluky" win, the 2nd and 3rd because of this or that - whatever.  Despite recent playoff futility, we've (Pats and Colts also) have put playoff caliber teams on the field for a decade.  It will end eventually, for us and for Colts fans as well.  Manning and Brady won't be around forever, so I guess you just got to enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts - and I think it's safe to say we'll be very competitive for a few more years.  Then, like GB, Dallas, Miami, San Fran, Pittsburgh, we'll have to restock, reshape, and try like hell to get back to the top all over again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Evil & gr8tbme...   this joker is using "system" QB to denounce Brady without realizing he dissed his own QB Manning.  This statement alone is proof..  Secondly, Great Qb's like Elway, Montana, Marino, Favre, and 18 can step into any offense and excel
    Of the 5 mentioned here, only ONE, Favre, moved on to another team and excelled to a certain degree.  This joker has no idea how Elway, Montana, Marino or Manning would fare elsewhere as they have played for only one team, and that team's system, in their careers.  How can one make a judgement with no evidence these QBs could even excel in other systems?  As we note from all his posts, he is simply bashing with opinions, albeit, misguided ones!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Purely hypothetical . . .  .Posted by ColtsPacersFan1

In other words, I'm just talking out my hindquarters . . .

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Evil & gr8tbme...   this joker is using "system" QB to denounce Brady without realizing he dissed his own QB Manning.  This statement alone is proof..  Secondly, Great Qb's like Elway, Montana, Marino, Favre, and 18 can step into any offense and excel Of the 5 mentioned here, only ONE, Favre, moved on to another team and excelled to a certain degree.  This joker has no idea how Elway, Montana, Marino or Manning would fare elsewhere as they have played for only one team, and that team's system, in their careers.  How can one make a judgement with no evidence these QBscould even excel in other systems?  As we note from all his posts, he is simply bashing with opinions, albeit, misguided ones!
    Posted by agcsbill

I hear ya' agcsbill - I've been reading his/her other posts.  I simply wanted to punch a few holes in his inane arguments.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

In Response to Is Brady a system QB:
    I know * Nation is stinging from the loss.  As a Colts fan Im not feeling as bad as I did last week losing to the Jets.  But I am not gonna be disrespectful here.  Pats had a good season and will be tough next year. Ive always felt Brady was only a good system QB.  its a compliment to the Coach you have more than anything.  Though he is a rule breaker no doubt.  tarnished his legacy imo. still, Brady and Cassel had very similar #'s the first full season as a starter.  in fact cassels #s are comparable to Bradys three seasons. I agree Brady is good.  Has more to do with Lombardis than ability.  If Tuck Fumble is called correctly gone is 1.  needed AV's help to do it. I think spygate helped the pats have HF advantage vs the Colts twice.  Colts still should have won.  gained HF winning in regular season * I think Brady is a good system QB.  Im not gonna confirm it until later, but I dont think Brady is great. Its always said 18 has better wr's.  i argue Bradys line is better, and surrounding team including defense. any pats fans disagree that brady is a system qb.?  much like cassel.

more drivel from the tuscon accompliss

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

System QB?

Really?

brady has had how many OC's?

go ahead count them up, 4.

what the funk are you talking about him being a system QB?

You mean getting a playbook learning the plays and then playing?

look at the offense from 2007 to the offense now. Its completely different in both style, and the players running it.

I dont think you understand what a system QB is. Peyton is a System QB. same offense every year, with the same players every year. look what happened this year, take out a couple of his receivers and the entire system stalls. luckily hes in a very weak division and got gifted a division title.

Brady adapts to the situations he is given, if brady is on the colts this year the colts win 2-3 more games then they did.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

He is angry because someone went over to indystar.com and stirred up trouble on a Colt thread last week.  So he comes over here to start some.  He's more or less a nostril pimple, painful, but gone soon enough.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

EVERY damn team's QB is a system QB.
    Every team sets a system to make the most and best of their QB's talents.
    If Vick was in NE the system would be very different.

Brady has little if any ability to move so the system works under that problem.
    Vick can run better than most RBs thus his system uses that in sprint outs for him.
    Any team that takes a QB and makes him not what he is, is courting disaster.

EVERY TEAM HAS A SYSTEM and gets players to fit that system.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I heard Peyton Manning is headed to the Detroit Lions.  He wants to be on a winner now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

What QB isn't a system QB. 

It comes down to a couple of things. 

1) Accuracy and arm strength - Brady is extremely accurate in his placement of the throws and has had good arm strength. 

2) Decision making. Peyton and Brady are two of the best at reading defenses, and knowing what each situation will present. 

3) Mental toughness to win under pressure. You don't win a SB, especially a come from behind win without that. 

4) Other factors beyond the QB control like play calling, the system, the timing of the rest of the team and so forth. 

The system comes in at number 4. You can't get anywhere without the top 3. 

Why did Brady and Cassel do so well? They spent time on the bench learning the system and developing before they were thrown to the wolves. So many great qbs with a lot of potential are put immediately into a starting role and have not had time to develop the reads, understand the system, or even develop timing with his own players. This kills them. Only a few have been able to over come that. 

Sections
Shortcuts