Is Brady Better With A Run Game?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Is Brady Better With A Run Game?

Nah, we need to pass into 7 DB's more. Sooner or later we will score a td, it just might take us a few 3 n outs to get there....our defense should have no problem with multiple 3 n outs by the spread offense....should it?

A run game compliments a defense, I wasn't smart enough to say it, I heard it from every succesful coach in NFL history.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

agree Hannah, and to add to it our yards per run is usually good too, which really makes me wonder.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

You guys are so right! I love the run game! I especially like it when we run for nothing on first down!

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Just heard a nice lady on NFL NTK commenting on how the Patriots offense has scored less points consecutively every week since the start of the season....while the defense has actually played better until letting up only 23 pts on the road against Pitt. hmmmmm

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

I think he is.  The run game is important to any offense, providing a different dimension that the defense must account for and it also allows for misdirection and play action, which Brady may be the best at ever but then you don't need me to tell you this.  IMO and I think you'll agree, the PATS abandon the run game much too frequently and then get pass happy and predictable.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hannahman. Show Hannahman's posts

Absolutely......i cannot for the life of me figure out why O'Brien abandons the run for quarters at a time

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from profootball. Show profootball's posts

110% with any QB in the league.  It will have more chance to play fake actions.
    In Response to Is Brady Better With A Run Game?:
    [QUOTE]Lets' put it to a hard vote and end this silliness once and for all: Is Brady better with a run game?
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Is Brady Better With A Run Game?:
    [QUOTE]Lets' put it to a hard vote and end this silliness once and for all: Is Brady better with a run game?

What a silly thread. Even Jets' fans can answer this question correctly. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from orangecrush28. Show orangecrush28's posts

KING, I think abandoning the run game is more of a problem than the formation. I know you like to bash the shotgun spread, but GB and NO are the two most recent Champs, and they run similar offenses to the pats. NO may be under center a little more often, but they still use 4 WR sets frequently. Point is, you can still be successful in the spread, you can still run it. But I dont think our passing game in general could make the spread work without a run game

I totally agree that the run needs to be established early in the games. But when you look at the Pitt game again, to open the game Pittsbugrh marched right down the field on the D with a long drive that put the team down 7-0. Then on the first pats possesion, it was 3 and out. If I remember correctly they tried to run with BJGE and he got blown up for like a 2 yard loss by Hampton. Quick punt and Pitt marched down the field again and got a FG. 10-0. The O is already behind by 2 possesions. In that situation, establishing a run is really difficult. The pats were down the whole game, which contributed to trying to play catch up, which ultimately abandons the running game. 

Thats why I think whenever we win the toss we need to take the ball first. It makes it easier for the team as a whole to dictate the flow of the game.

Definately agree, I love faulk, but no way in hell should a 35 year old RB fresh off an ACL tear be our lead running back. I would like to see more Ridley and Woodhead involved. It seems like #39 has fell off the face of the earth

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Russ, that's a no brainer, but I'll also add that someone also talked about GB and NO's offense. The main difference is that GB and NO both have 4 good to very good WRs that can create mismatches and get seperation.

I don't see the Pats as having that. We have 2 good TE's and 1 WR in Welker. Branch to an extent, but his age is catching up. All you have to do is bounce Wes around like a pinball, jam him off the line (he has to rely on quickness not strength) and his route is disrupted. Play man coverage on Gronk and Hern and our passing game is pretty much shut down. My point is the spread with TB in shotgun is only have the issue. It also comes down to the personnel we are throwing to and their ability to get seperation and run clean. It's a timing offense, and all you have to do is disrupt the timing and receivers and TB is all deer eyed in the pocket.

THat brings me to point 2 and in terms of transforming this offense going forward. We have 2 good TE's, one more in the mold of a HB/WR, and 3-4 good RB's. Why not complete the transformation, go get another TE like Gronk and a big outside the numbers WR like Colston. My thought is to let Wes walk unless he signs a team friendly deal, play Hern/Edelman/Vereen in the slot, and you have Colston/Price out wide when you need them. Use the running game as you mention above, but now you have a better run blocking Offense and 2 big TE's that can either line up on the line, or split outwide. Hern lines up in the slot or as a FB blocking for Ridley/BJGE/Vereen/Woody. THere's a lot you can do with that flexibility, unlike today, where Wes is a slot WR bottomline.

This will not be a popular opinion because everyone loves Wes including myself, but we need to understand how we want to invest in the WR/TE positions going forward and in turn, dictate the flow of the game by being more versatile and unpredictable.

Okay, I'm ready for my lashing....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

Why not look at this from an intensity level.  If the Pats always pass, the O Line is always reacting to the D pressure, the offense is always back on their heels and they never get to exert themselves, where in the run game, the whole offense gets to hit people, especially the O line and they get real aggressive, and in doing this, the team gets more involved in the game physically.  Winning in the trenches is so important and to make my point in all this;  do you remember the O line in the SB vs the Giants?  They were so lethargic right from the start, and the D line of the Giants kicked their butts and annilated Brady all day.

So along w/ balance and variety, and all everyone else has said, It makes your team play tougher in the trenches, and that makes you a better team than playing finesse ball all day, scoring in 3 plays w/ the long ball to Moss and no one really gets to hit, and let's face it; football IS about hitting - don't tell anyone this though, because you really can't do that anymore with all the new rules.  Just be nice!!

sh sh, bye.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Is Brady Better With A Run Game?:
    [QUOTE]So far, 5-0 with 5 fans completely befuddled why we ignore our RBs.

Every QB is better with a good running game.  QB's with a bad running game are the same as QB's with no running game.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

Any offense is better if it can incorporate a decent running game. It's a good clock eater when you're ahead. It's a better type of offense to use inside the ten yard line on both the oppenent's and your end of the field and it forces the opponent's LBs to play closer to the line.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Silly question!  What QB isn't better without a run game?  Elway needed Davis before he could win a Superbowl, Marino never had a good run game and he never won a superbowl.  All the great teams had good run games or at least a run game that could be a 2nd tier threat.  Patriots, well as of late has had no run game and look where that has gotten them.  Easy answer on this one.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

In Response to Re: Is Brady Better With A Run Game?:
    [QUOTE]So far, 5-0 with 5 fans completely befuddled why we ignore our RBs.

You brought this up in another thread.... you said that Brady's ego was becoming a problem and you may be right on that.

Brady was his best when he was listening to the play calling from Weiss (or replace with any decent OC) and he then executed the play....  now that he's THE MAN with 3 rings I'm beginning to worry that he is dictating how the offense is run and he is getting in over his head.

Yes I believe he very well may be the greatest QB of all time...  however the best in any field also understand the power of knowing how to delegate and let talent around you make you better.

BB also needs to realize that surrounding himself with talent better than him (or at least almost as good) is how he will win another SB.

The Pats have some major talent at RB (Ridley, BJGE, Vereen, Woodhead and Faulk... in that order) and it is complete insanity to not have a gameplan each week that incorporates a variety of runs, end arounds, play action passes, screens, shovel passes and numerous other creative ways to get these guys in the game....

THEN weave in an assortment of passes from under center and a few from shotgun.... 

....and for crying out loud get Price in there to strech the field.... the kid is a baller!  ... and for those who don't yet see it....  YES I said Price is a BALLER.... you will see that soon.  (providing that numb nut O'Brien gets him on the field and Brady decides to quit focussing on only two recievers and actually target him)

The talent is there... 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Teams that can run and thow the ball are harder to defend. News at 11. The bigger news is that statement is near irrelevant for offenses facing the Pats with good QB's because running the ball against Pats is waste of time when you can almost throw at will. See exhibit Steelers.

Sections
Shortcuts