Is Brady Clutch? Great Article

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Is Brady Clutch? Great Article

I'm sure many of you have read this and lived this...going into the fourth quarter is no longer a done deal for me as a fan - I used to chalk up another victory, now I hold my breath. Do you think its because of the knee injury, age, or something else?

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/8517311/have-tom-brady-new-england-patriots-lost-their-fourth-quarter-magic

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Is Brady Clutch? Great Article

im typing this while throwing up, but i will still blame the coaching staff for Bradys demise in the 4rth qtr since 2009. we have left the offense on his shoulder [literally] for the last 4 years. we have turned into theColts with a soft finesse offense and it has obviously had an impact on Bradys ability to play "clutch" football wih the game on the line. 15 total qbr rating in the last 5 minutes WITH the lead?? i hope we continue to utilize the running back talent we have acquired. at 35 years  old we should never ask Tommy to throw the 60 times like last week, because we all know the outcome.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think it might be a combo of a number of things:

Hurry up - The more you run the hurry up the more you wind the opposing D but also the more winded your O becomes. It's a two edge sword. The end result might be a stalemate if the opposing D is still fighting. You can't run the ball because your OL can't push and you can't pass the ball because the opponent can sit back in coverage. So as we've seen lately you almost need to score all your points in the first 3qts before the team winds down and just tries to kill whatever clock they can

Randy Moss - The more I think about it the more I'm beginning to realize there might have been an unwanted side affect to having Moss. Before the Moss era Brady didn't have someone you could lobe the ball up to and let them go get it. As such, Brady had to be smarter at the line, check down, take what the D gave him, even call draw plays. He mastered simplifying the O to the point where they could run a 10 play drive to move the ball 60 yards a little chunk at a time in just over a min. He would destroy prevent D's but hitting his WR's on flats and slants in stride and letting them make plays. One huge benefit was because it was such short yards he could get the team up to the line quickly. Now look at post Moss era, when was the last time you saw Brady audible out to a draw play with less then two mins needing a score? How many 15+yrd passes have you seen him throw one first, second, third, and forth down? How many times have you seen 4 DB's 15yrds off the line and open receivers on short dump off pass but Brady taking the Bledsoe route and just sling it deep? Having Moss's ability to go get a ball might have rusted Brady's brain from when he didn't have a guy like that. If you look at the fundamental approach Brady took from 01'-06' compared to 07'-present they are complete opposites. The Brady of 01-06' would have little issue moving the ball 50yrds to give Ghost a good shot with 1:20 left and no TO's. It would have been an 8 play drive leaving just enough time to give his kicker a chance. What did Brady do against Sea, first throw for 30yrds on a low % play. The old Brady would have never had done that

Pressure of a bad D - it's the oddiest thing to me. This D works reasonable well when they are aggressive. Yes they give up points and big plays but they also create turn overs. In the 4th when we go into prevent it might as well be swiss cheeze. The opponent scores quicker, gets more big plays, and has their way with this D. I have no clue why BB is so afraid to be aggressive in the 4th when the prevent is giving up way more then when they are aggressive. This relates back to the O because you can see the O feels the pressure from their D not being able to hold a pillow and try to force plays they shouldn't. Instead of taking what they can like earlier in the game they get away from what works and try to force something that doesn't, ie if you haven't committed to run the ball all game you won't be able to run it when you need it, if you have been using dump offs all game and they have been working you don't need 10+yrds on every play every down, if you have been running the ball affectively don't switch to a shot gun spread formation and try to force the pass.

Getting away from what worked early in the game - I don't know if it's the pressure to close out a game but lately they have complicated things with the OP when they are trying to close things out. It use to be that they would run what worked down your throat until you stopped it. It made things very simply. We run these 3 plays until they stop it then we run these 3 plays but the major thing was they never forced anything and took what they got whether it was 3 yards on a carry or 2 yards on a pass. Simple right? Now you look at it and they are complicating things by trying to force the ball down field on long plays or running trick plays trying to catch the D off gaurd. Sometimes I see them run things and it looks like parts of the O have no clue what's going on. They feel the need to get firsts on every down now or eating as much clock as possible in 3 plays instead of taking what they can

There's a number of factors I think have lead up to this but these are the major differences between 01-06 and 07-present right now

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to Mighty2013's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brady's clutch factor has always been his ability to come from behind while trailing - not the ability to run out the clock while holding on to a lead.  How many playoff games from 2001-2004 did the Pats offense run out the clock in the 4th quarter while holding on to a close lead - none.

The only time the Pats have successfully run out the clock in a playoff game was the AFC Championship against the Chargers in 2008 - the year of the much maligned pass-heavy offense.

The reason Brady isn't "clutch" anymore is because he's now getting the Pats ahead much earlier in games, so the Pats almost always have the lead as the 4th quarter is winding down. At that point the team really needs to step up and protect the lead that Brady has built.

[/QUOTE]

It is a fair point Mighty but that is where the offense also has to figure out how to keep the ball away and eat up s much clock as possible. Throwing a lot with the lead is not a sound game plan. the same 3 guys will probably now come on this thread and yell at us for ever questioning BB but the fact remains that throwing a lot with your older QB with a lead does not translate to wins. Of course a shutdown defense would solve our problems, but how many teams with a top scoring offense and a sht ton of money invested on O have a great defense???. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Total QBR is not a reliable stat.  It is telling to me that the author uses no other individual stats to assess Brady's performance.  My guess is that other stats the author could present don't fit his narrative quite as nicely.  Total QBR penalizes the QB for the performance of the defense for crying out loud.

It's the stat that once gave Tebow whose stat line was 4/10 passing for 79 yards and 1 TD and 6/38 rushing and one TD a higher rating than Aaron Rodgers who that same week was 26/39 passing for 396 yards and 2 TDs.   No statistic is perfect, but that is pretty bad.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Total QBR is not a reliable stat.  It is telling to me that the author uses no other individual stats to assess Brady's performance.  My guess is that other stats the author could present don't fit his narrative quite as nicely.  Total QBR penalizes the QB for the performance of the defense for crying out loud.

It's the stat that once gave Tebow whose stat line was 4/10 passing for 79 yards and 1 TD and 6/38 rushing and one TD a higher rating than Aaron Rodgers who that same week was 26/39 passing for 396 yards and 2 TDs.   No statistic is perfect, but that is pretty bad.

[/QUOTE]

I agree I hate the total QB rating system but, and here it comes, you just look at Brady visually and noticed his approach to the final 5 mins of a game has changed. When was the last time you saw Brady slowly and methodically pick a team a part to either eat a ton of time or because they needed points? It just doesn't happen anymore. If you think about it take the 01' SB and the 07' SB and compare that last drive. 01' people didn't think a dink and dunk O using mixed in draws had a shot at getting into FG range but they did. In 07' what did Brady do, deep pass, deep pass, deep pass, deep pass. That's what Brady has morphed into from a cool calm calculating force that will kill you with a thousands cuts to Brett Farve I'll throw it up and get the killing blow in a couple large strikes. I mean talk about a turn around, if Brady had the ball with more then a min left and just needed a FG to win everyone knew the Pats were going to win. Now, if the Pats are up by a FG and just need a 1st down to close it out every I don't know many people who are confident anymore that they can even get a first yet alone drive to get a score when they need it. I want to old cold calculating Brady back not this gun slinger

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Incomplete passes only helps the Opponent, when the are behind. If you are going to Pass you absolutely have to have High Percentage Passes that will not stop the Clock. At times I do not understand our Coaching Staff.

[/QUOTE]

Ya, 3 or 4 straight DROPS in the 4th will do that to a guy. 

Hernandez drop was crucial last week.  Can't move the ball if recievers don't recieve.  Also, not much hope in moving it if your best back is averaging 1.2 yrds pc and the coaches don't trust than you can pick up 1 yard, on 3rd and 1.  I really don't know what some of you expect.

How many people think LLoyds fanstatic sideline catch (out of bounds) was a poor pass by TB?

Truth be known (they were talking about it on PWF the other day) and the thing that we didn't see,  was the fact that Lloyd slowed way down on his route for whatever reason and that if he hadn't, he could have easily made the catch in bounds and in stride.  I actually have serious questions about LLoyd, it seems it's either a high light or a no light.  Don't think he likes contact either, thus most of his catches  are on the sidelines where he just steps or dives out of bounds and are rarely in the middle with no or very little YAC's.

And yes, having a D that can't hold a big lead does put too much pressure on an O and makes them one dementional, the same way it makes a team that is behind late in the 4th, one dementional because passing to score (again) becomes the mentality.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

I really, REALLY hate to say this, but in the 4th quarter, Brady is looking like Bledsoe did his last year here.

Holding the ball too long, seeing ghosts rushing him, being indecisive, making bad decisions when he finally throws and taking sacks he shouldn't.

I'm not sure if it's a product of age, taking too many hits or bad coaching (probably a combo of all 3), but it's clear he is not as clutch as he once was...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

While no QB likes pressure in his face, since the injury, I've seen Brady duck, fall down, or at the least, lose focus down field. I think it's a combination of game plans where we are throwing too often, too much pressure on Tom to carry the day, and bad play calling on O and D in these situations. I also would say, sorry to mention this, he seems more fearful.

I was traveling back from the Chiefs/Ravens game and listened to Pats/Broncos - loved all the running plays, giving Tom ability for play action pass. I also wasn't comfortable even when we were up 31-7, as I've come to realize the Pats don't give a knockout punch. They could have lost that game as well if not for the gifts McGahee provided.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

If he's such a clutch QB then why couldn't he drive down for at least a fg against Seattle ? What about in the Rvens game? The Super Bowl?

Why does he take so many sacks and why does he throw the ball into the dirt when the receiver is WIDE OPEN?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to kjfitone's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If he's such a clutch QB then why couldn't he drive down for at least a fg against Seattle ? What about in the Rvens game? The Super Bowl?

Why does he take so many sacks and why does he throw the ball into the dirt when the receiver is WIDE OPEN?

[/QUOTE]

Gee, with performance like that, it's a miracle they scored 23 at all.

Maybe someone from Seattle can answer that question better.  Ya think?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

He no longer has a defense that guarantees he will be within a fg of a tie or a win.  That was the Brady magic. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps the better question is why Brady chose to waste his career with a team that can't support him.

[/QUOTE]

He's loyal to the guy that gave him a chance.  Too bad there aren't more fans that are loyal to the guy that has given them a chance, year in and year out for the past 12 years.  It's mindboggling!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps the better question is why Brady chose to waste his career with a team that can't support him.

[/QUOTE]

Troll!   Go join your fellow Seahawks fans on their site. This is a patriots forum.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

It's not a "great article". It's garbage.

The D can't hold the lead Brady stakes them to in the endgame. Nothing new.

They have allowed a rate of 30 ppg in the second half of the 3 losses. That would place them among the worst in the league as a ppg average.

In one loss Gost missed a perfect condition 42 yarder. In another the Ravens missed a FG that was allowed by replacements refs. But blame Brady, LMAO. Learn the game.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

Since all of y'all hate the Patriots so much why troll here? You don't just like one part of the team and hate the rest. It don't work like that. That's for band wagoners like half of you are.

win together and lose together. Walk into the locker room and tell them how bad you think the defense is. Brady will be the first one to punch you in the mouth. Why? Because he's for the whole team, unlike half of you nerds.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Troll!   Go join your fellow Seahawks fans on their site. This is a patriots forum.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, clifford.

I'll try to do better!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

Since all of y'all hate the Patriots so much why troll here? You don't just like one part of the team and hate the rest. It don't work like that. That's for band wagoners like half of you are.

win together and lose together. Walk into the locker room and tell them how bad you think the defense is. Brady will be the first one to punch you in the mouth. Why? Because he's for the whole team, unlike half of you nerds.

[/QUOTE]

We love our pathetic defense.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The D can't hold the lead Brady stakes them to in the endgame. Nothing new.

They have allowed a rate of 30 ppg in the second half of the 3 losses. That would place them among the worst in the league as a ppg average.

In one loss Gost missed a perfect condition 42 yarder. In another the Ravens missed a FG that was allowed by replacements refs. But blame Brady, LMAO. Learn the game.

[/QUOTE]

Ya and Brady can't pull out a win in the last minute and a half, same thing since 2005

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

That's right, I am Clifford/ Rusty.   Got a problem there big boy?

Sections
Shortcuts