Is Browner good or are we all expecting too much?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

Is Browner good or are we all expecting too much?

The fact that Seahawks cornerback Brandon Browner was benched for the second quarter of Sunday's game spoke to both the concern about his tendency to being beaten on the outside as well as the coach's belief in the talent behind Browner on the roster.

Whether Browner remains the starter will depend on whether he continues to get beaten down the sideline. It happened against Indianapolis when Andrew Luck threw that 29-yard touchdown pass to T.Y. Hilton in the second quarter of Week 5. It happened again on Tennessee's second possession when Kendall Wright caught a 32-yard pass, and it nearly happened again later in the opening quarter when Ryan Fitzpatrick overthrew receiver Damian Williams, who had gotten behind Browner.

It was after that incompletion that Browner came out of the game, replaced by Walter Thurmond.

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2374571/Notebook-Browner-benched-but-not-buried

Back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Is Browner good or are we all expecting too much?

Stole my source and comment from patsfans.com I see lol

But no, I think with Browner its all about matchups. He struggles vs. the smaller quicker WR, but is at his best when he can get up on the line and be physical with a bigger WR. Browner is one of the best CBs in the NFL inside 10 yards of the LOS.

Revis will defend the #1 WR always then from there, its matchups. Browner will take the next biggest weapon and Dennard will take the smaller weapon whether it be in the slot or on the outside. Browner also will at times probably guard TEs like J. Thomas for Denver because of his physicality.

If we put BB in the right spot to defend, which we will, he is gonna be very good.

Also here is a table of the matchups for each week that I think is very possible for the season. So Revis takes the #1, then BB takes a taller bigger guy and Dennard gets whats left... http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/2014/06/patriots-secondary-matchups.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

I'm a regular on that forum, I know of a few people who post both here and there and have done so for a long time.  I have promoted the patsfans site here many times.  Did you hear about that site from me mentioning it here? 

The Russy character here calls me bustchise and a Jets fan.  As you see, he is wrong but he continues to accuse me of that.  He is still mad that I made a fool of him on here concerning a couple of pictures of me I posted here, but I digress.  I invited him a few times recently to come join over there.  Truth be told, he wouldn't last a minute on that site.  Ian runs a clean, no nonsense sight over there.  Russy would be laughed out of there and IP banned pretty quickly, probably why he doesn't post there, he would be in over his head.  Joker who is one of the funnier, better and long time posters there came over here and took Russy to the woodshed.  It was comical, not sure Russy has ever recovered from it.

I noticed you posting there recently and have watched you bring over some topics from there to here also.  I don't understand where I stole your comment.  I posted an article that you happen to have provided in the discussion on Monday but I didn't steal your comment.  I haven't made a comment.  This topic just happens to be a very interesting topic over there that has yet to be mentioned here.  I am surprised you didn't bring it over here yet.  I don't know much about Browner, saving my comments about him until I get the time to watch video of him on NFL rewind. I know he is a big physical player but that's about it.  The topic is getting good feedback there, interested in what people here think.  As a side note, It's very interesting to compare peoples opinions there to here.  Funny to watch some people who think they know a lot here really don't when you compare the two forums.  Russy be one of those people.

Back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Browner is a corner in name only, if he played ten years ago when Randy Moss was considered a really big WR then he would be called what he actually is, a strong safety.  I have plenty of questions about Browner, the first of which is can he stay healthy and productive at SS for a full season.  He hasn't proven anything yet.  Revis and Dennard will be the starting corners if healthy, Ryan is probably next in line to start on the edge.  Browner is only a "corner" when a 6'5" 230 pound or bigger receiver is across the line, otherwise he is a SS.

While I'm dispelling myths lets do away with another, Logan Ryan is a corner not a safety.  Devin McCourty is up for a new contract, BB leaking that Ryan might play some safety is a negotiating ploy.  Can he play some free safety, yes, but every player in the entire defensive backfield has the potential to play safety, not every player can play corner.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Browner's  a corner; can't find any reference anywhere that has him play safety since he's been in the NFL.  He's a big corner who relies on physical play to disrupt receivers' routes.  I think he's a good signing that upgrades our secondary.  I don't think he's an all-pro.

Yes, BB will use him wherever he needs to but the guy's a cornerback. If he plays safety here then it will be a first.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Browner is a corner in name only, if he played ten years ago when Randy Moss was considered a really big WR then he would be called what he actually is, a strong safety.  I have plenty of questions about Browner, the first of which is can he stay healthy and productive at SS for a full season.  He hasn't proven anything yet.  Revis and Dennard will be the starting corners if healthy, Ryan is probably next in line to start on the edge.  Browner is only a "corner" when a 6'5" 230 pound or bigger receiver is across the line, otherwise he is a SS.

While I'm dispelling myths lets do away with another, Logan Ryan is a corner not a safety.  Devin McCourty is up for a new contract, BB leaking that Ryan might play some safety is a negotiating ploy.  Can he play some free safety, yes, but every player in the entire defensive backfield has the potential to play safety, not every player can play corner.

[/QUOTE]

Good Post! Ive also said the same thing about browner since his signing. He is here to play safety so the coverage issues dont really concern me. This is not the 1st time BB has taken a guy who was a CB in Carrol's system and converted him to safety. *Tebucky Jones comes to mind and he was never a real fundamental guy back there but his speed/athleticism along with BB putting him in position, he was successful for the most part. 

Chung will battle with Browner for the starting SS spot and in certain looks, BB will have all 3(Dmac, Chung, Browner) on the field.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Browner's  a corner; can't find any reference anywhere that has him play safety since he's been in the NFL.  He's a big corner who relies on physical play to disrupt receivers' routes.  I think he's a good signing that upgrades our secondary.  I don't think he's an all-pro.

Yes, BB will use him wherever he needs to but the guy's a cornerback. If he plays safety here then it will be a first.

We've done this dance before, but another thing I might add to this debate that Browner is not young any more either, he played 4 seasons in Canada (2007-2010) before playing 3 with the Seahawks.  

Even if we say he is a corner, he would be the first tall, not very fast (4.6 forty when he was young), average mobility, 30+ year old corner ever.  

He can't run forever, but if he can play zone, endure the rigors at one of the NFL's highest impact positions, tackle in space, intimidate (as much as the NFL still allows) and not fail drug tests than we may have a safety.

Otherwise we'll have another Tebucky Jones like Triple referenced above.  A big special teams player and situational role player but he won't be a starter at CB.  

If he can play strong safety than you might have a starter there, I guess you could say I was projecting upward, call me a homer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

Look at the efforts by bustchise above to sell his board character. Priceless.

tell us all again, busty.   Tell us how you were not trolling the espn boards for years and years now, too.

dahmer = blushing in his grave or bustchise/rico

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

[QUOTE]

We've done this dance before, but another thing I might add to this debate that Browner is not young any more either, he played 4 seasons in Canada (2007-2010) before playing 3 with the Seahawks.  

Even if we say he is a corner, he would be the first tall, not very fast (4.6 forty when he was young), average mobility, 30+ year old corner ever.  

He can't run forever, but if he can play zone, endure the rigors at one of the NFL's highest impact positions, tackle in space, intimidate (as much as the NFL still allows) and not fail drug tests than we may have a safety.

Otherwise we'll have another Tebucky Jones like Triple referenced above.  A big special teams player and situational role player but he won't be a starter at CB.  

If he can play strong safety than you might have a starter there, I guess you could say I was projecting upward, call me a homer.

[/QUOTE]

We have indeed, sir, done this dance before.  And I'm projecting upward as well.  Time will tell.  I guess the matter will boil down to how much he plays at either position.  I do agree, though, that his size is ideal for the SS position.  And clearly you didn't get the memo - I'm a bigger homer than you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

He is good.  Of course we are expecting too much.  It's the offseason.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think the thing that I like most about this defense, is the diversity. Against some offenses, we may see Browner play 90% of the snaps. Yet against other offenses, we may see that snap count decrease into the 20% area. All depends who the opposing WR's are, what the opposing teams offense is trying to do, what the injury situation is, etc. We could actually see a dime defense with Browner not on the field!

This defense will put each player in the best possible position to gain an advantage, and the result of this unusual depth will result in of course a better defense, but a fresher, healthier defense as well.

I am curious to see how/where BB plays Revis however. Does he put him on one side of the field, or does he move him side to side following the other teams most dangerous WR? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, and I'm 100% certain we can numerous articles that contradict what the article quoted in the OP says.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

When Browner played against us in Seattle a couple of years ago, he played good. Hits hard for a CB, and supports the run big time. The guy who got burnt a lot in that game a lot was Chancellor, but a Rookie then.

Game that still haunts me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, so true pcmIV!

Good discussion here, great points by everyone.  This is a very interesting topic and discussion.  I will be very interested watching Browner develop in the Pats system and see how he will be used.  Probably one of the players I am most intrigued by on the defense.  Hope I'm not disappointed.

Funny watching  Joe and Rico get into it a bit.  I visit the mentioned forum sometimes, I know Rico posts there, didn't realize Joe did too.  It is a good forum, just too big, imo.  One poster there called me a racist for posting a picture of Vince Wilfork seeing Phillip Rivers as a piece of bbq chicken leg, lol!!  To me, this place is still the best.  It's a a good size, not too many people, just enough to make it fun. 

Oh, and LOL at Rusty still accusing Rico as being a jets fan.  What a fraud!  Even when there is proof that he isn't a jets fan Rusty still accuses him as being one. Unbelievable!  But not really.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When Browner played against us in Seattle a couple of years ago, he played good. Hits hard for a CB, and supports the run big time. The guy who got burnt a lot in that game a lot was Chancellor, but a Rookie then.

[/QUOTE]

Hey buddy, how are things?

Good points.  From what I have seen of Browner he is a very aggressive and hard hitter. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

[QUOTE]

He is good.  Of course we are expecting too much.  It's the offseason

Yes, and I'm 100% certain we can numerous articles that contradict what the article quoted in the OP says.  

Exactly.  The op is bustchise.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey buddy, how are things?

Good points.  From what I have seen of Browner he is a very aggressive and hard hitter. 

[/QUOTE]

bobbysu ain't your buddy. He knows your game here.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lmao!  Another lie from Rusty the DB!

Bobbysu is a good dude, I'm sure he doesn't agree with you.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to Uncle Rico's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm a regular on that forum, I know of a few people who post both here and there and have done so for a long time.  I have promoted the patsfans site here many times.  Did you hear about that site from me mentioning it here? 

I noticed you posting there recently and have watched you bring over some topics from there to here also.  I don't understand where I stole your comment.  I posted an article that you happen to have provided in the discussion on Monday but I didn't steal your comment.  I haven't made a comment.  This topic just happens to be a very interesting topic over there that has yet to be mentioned here.  I am surprised you didn't bring it over here yet.  I don't know much about Browner, saving my comments about him until I get the time to watch video of him on NFL rewind. I know he is a big physical player but that's about it.  The topic is getting good feedback there, interested in what people here think.  As a side note, It's very interesting to compare peoples opinions there to here.  Funny to watch some people who think they know a lot here really don't when you compare the two forums.  Russy be one of those people.

[/QUOTE]

No I didn't get into that forum from seeing it from you, but I have seen you promote which is good because the forum over there is solid. Its really big and a lot going on.

I'm not like mad that you took the source I was just saying, being observant. The only reason I even put that link up over there was because I knew Browner had some problems last year and that Andy Johnson guy didn't believe me so I had to find proof.

But, I agree I like to check both boards just to get a wider array of opinions on things and see what other fans think. And its also good to bring topics from there to here that have yet to be discussed like you said. I'm not on that forum as much because its so big and I like this one better because its smaller and entertaining.

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog: http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lmao!  Another lie from Rusty the DB!

Bobbysu is a good dude, I'm sure he doesn't agree with you.

[/QUOTE]
    He is.  He does.  You are not.  Phonies are not allowed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

He is.  He does.  You are not.  Phonies are not allowed.

[/QUOTE]

I welcome his comment about this.

So Phony, time for you to run along now.  You must get tired of getting owned on here day in and day out.  You were probably the kid in school that had the kick me sign on his back.  Do people still do that to you in public?  Haha! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Well I hope he is what I hope he will be...a big corner who can play man and give our pass rush time to get to the quarterback. I'd hate to see him turn into a glorified Kyle Arrington - a limited guy - who we always have to make excuses for every time he ventures 10 feet out of his comfort zone. When I run out of toilet paper, I always tell my wife I'm going out to get some more Arrington paper...it fits.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well I hope he is what I hope he will be...a big corner who can play man and give our pass rush time to get to the quarterback. I'd hate to see him turn into a glorified Kyle Arrington - a limited guy - who we always have to make excuses for every time he ventures 10 feet out of his comfort zone. When I run out of toilet paper, I always tell my wife I'm going out to get some more Arrington paper...it fits.

[/QUOTE]

His tape says he is, but prepare yourself, he will be exposed against certain defenses/players. The nice thing is there appear to be options when Browner may be exposed. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

I love how no matter which good, experienced FA BB brings in on D, somehow, some way, there is this problem with it.

On defense only, though.

Note how Brady does not play on D.

Not a coincidence. These are all built in excuses in case Brady soils his panties in the AFC Title game for the 5th time in a row.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

I love how no matter which good, experienced FA BB brings in on D, somehow, some way, there is this problem with it.

On defense only, though.

Note how Brady does not play on D.

Not a coincidence. These are all built in excuses in case Brady soils his panties in the AFC Title game for the 5th time in a row.

[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen anyone complain about the Revis signing or say something negative about him but you, claiming he's overrated

It's just a fact that Browner, while a very good physical CB, has his limitations as does anyone. He struggles with the smaller quicker WRs and can play with any big WR in the league.

God forbid we talk about a weakness in a player other than Brady.