Is Carson Palmer The New Drew Bledsoe?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

Is Carson Palmer The New Drew Bledsoe?

Both a prototype franchise QB's.  Tall, strong arm Pac-10 Blu-chip franchise QB's.  The first half of both their careers they looked like they could develop into Hall of Famers, but they never could take that next step. 

They hang onto the ball to long taking sacks that kill their offensive drives and they throw costly picks. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Re: Is Carson Palmer The New Drew Bledsoe?

No cause Drew at least completed some passes. Palmer is holding the Bengals back. He has good games at the end of the season but its junk and spoiler time then.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

drew also had a strong work ethic and helped mentor/develop his 2nd string quarterbacks and gave them something to emulate in the training and film room - tom brady went from 180lbs to 220lbs after his first year in ne, and romo went from undrafted to fringe pro-bowler. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

NO, plus Palmer doesn't have an in-waiting future HOF on the bench.

But in all fairness, he played pretty good yesterday against the chargers with all the young receivers he was targeting and getting TDs. They may have found something yesterday

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

Another big difference is the era when they played.  In the 90's, especially in the mid-90's, there was only a handful of franchise QB's.  Young, Aikman, Marino, Elway, and Farve.  Bledsoe really stood out during his short career as a star. 

In this era of the NFL I can name at least 15 QB's you could label a franchise QB.  Brady, Manning, Flacco, Big Ben, Rivers, Matt Cassel, Jay Cutler, Sam Bradford, Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Tony Romo, Michael Vick, Eli Manning, Matt Schaub.  A guy with an 80 plus QB rating and 25 TDs year in and year out is that amazing as it was in the 90's.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

They may have found something yesterday

Yeah they found out that running it on first for 2 and second for 3 then throwing it 40 yards down the field gives you a 3 and out a lot of time. Palmer hardly used Shipley and when he did it wasn't the right way. Jordan Shipley could play for the Pats anytime far as I'm concerned.

Palmer tries to force the ball into coverage too far down field. As you can see yesterday if they play more small ball it works a lot better. I wonder sometimes if Palmer can read the D.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Is Carson Palmer The New Drew Bledsoe?:
    [QUOTE]drew also had a strong work ethic and helped mentor/develop his 2nd string quarterbacks and gave them something to emulate in the training and film room - tom brady went from 180lbs to 220lbs after his first year in ne, and romo went from undrafted to fringe pro-bowler. 
    Posted by jrmccook[/QUOTE]

Excellent comparison! I thought of this in the past. Palmer of course is a better athlete, and Drew played for much better coaches that really put him in position to win. Drew had some outstanding talent around him at one point and went to the Super Bowl with it; Armstrong, Megget, Martin, Brisby, Glenn, Jefferson, Gash, Coates, Byers...loaded, just completely stacked!! If Brady had that throughout his career he'd be in the Super Bowl every year and win it. He also had a very under rated defense. But both Palmer and Brady are missing something that the great ones have...that x factor that is at times not tangible. For Brady; it's the field vision and quick feet, timing, acuracy, toughness, mind, heart, competiveness. Plus he's got the good enough arm and nice height for the position. It's funny, but he's always being thought of as a guy that gets the most out of limited skills, but he has all the tools that a top ten pick would have.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I blame the organization.  Palmer started out as a fine QB.  The last couple of years have been hard.  No telling what he would have done under proper coaching.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Palmer can't carry Bledsoe's jock.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

nah Bledsoe was good, palmer is not. Bledsoe took a 1-15 team and turned them into champions.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I guess there is a similiarity in skillset but Bledsoe was much better.  He played in a SB, something Palmer hasn't ever come close to.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

The biggest comparison I see is two guys who force the ball. Bledsoe had that rifle and he always believed he could fit the ball into places it realistically was not going to go -- hence he threw a lot of interceptions. I haven't watched Palmer nearly as much, be he has shown a tendency to throw the ball up for grabs, particularly deep. From a results standpoint, Bledsoe is clearly head-and-shoulders above Palmer, but there are certainly similarities.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE] They may have found something yesterday Yeah they found out that running it on first for 2 and second for 3 then throwing it 40 yards down the field gives you a 3 and out a lot of time. Palmer hardly used Shipley and when he did it wasn't the right way. Jordan Shipley could play for the Pats anytime far as I'm concerned. Palmer tries to force the ball into coverage too far down field. As you can see yesterday if they play more small ball it works a lot better. I wonder sometimes if Palmer can read the D.
    Posted by Philskiw[/QUOTE]

you missed the whole point. they beat the top ranked defense in the league and used alot of young talent doing it. not the loudmouths TO and ocho

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Another big difference is the era when they played.  In the 90's, especially in the mid-90's, there was only a handful of franchise QB's.  Young, Aikman, Marino, Elway, and Farve.  Bledsoe really stood out during his short career as a star.  In this era of the NFL I can name at least 15 QB's you could label a franchise QB.  Brady, Manning, Flacco, Big Ben, Rivers, Matt Cassel, Jay Cutler, Sam Bradford, Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Tony Romo, Michael Vick, Eli Manning, Matt Schaub.  A guy with an 80 plus QB rating and 25 TDs year in and year out is that amazing as it was in the 90's.
    Posted by DuncanOrange[/QUOTE]
    I wouldn't call half the guys you mentioned today as franchise QB's. To me Tony Romo, Cutler, Bradford, Eli, Schaub, Flacco and Castle are franchise guys in name only. They haven't done it long enough, well enough, cosistently enough and aside from one of them... won enough.

You could go back in the 90's and add a few that did a lot more than these guys; jim Kelly, Warren Moon, Montana. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Carson Palmer did have that major injury the year he went to the Super Bowl.  He hasn't been the same since and probably never will be.  Bledsoe never had that type of season ending injury but in the end he was always watching the rush and not looking downfield and so it goes.   As for Palmer, his career is on the back side of the mountain.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Not even close. Bledsoe was a much better QB than Palmer. Bledsoe did well with what he had to work with. He took the team to a Super Bowl. He lost his starting job due to injury but still came back and won a crucial game when Brady was injured. Palmer has all the physical skills and has been surrounded with offensive talent and still stinks.

Sections
Shortcuts