Is coach BB's EGO hurting the PATS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Is coach BB's EGO hurting the PATS

In Response to Re: Is coach BB's EGO hurting the PATS:
    [QUOTE]Nope, not at all. He has been coach of the decade. He has been coach of the year three times, won three super bowls and the AFC championship 4 times. Had a perfect regular season in 2007. Won 11 games with a QB that hadn't started a football game since HS in 2008. Etc, etc. His coaching staff and front office has been raided mercilessly over that time. He's not kicking tons of coaches out the door. Just a few notables to remember of people making career advancement of their own accord... Weis moved on to greener pastures. Romeo same thing. Mangini same thing. (Year Mangini left he was D coordinator and knew Pats opinion on Revis and out bid the Pats in the bidding war to trade up to get him. Coincidence? I think not!) McDaniels same thing. (Took the special teams coach with him and made him assistant head coach similar to Scar here, also went after and got some Patriot FA's) Pioli same thing. (Took others from the department with him offering better positions/opportunities) Dimitrov same thing. (Took a number of others from the scouting department with them offering better positions/opportunities) He's had Dom Capers in working with him. No one can assume it was BB who didn't want Capers as his D coordinator. BB has a system. Continuity is extremely important. Capers is a successful Coordinator in his own right running his "own" system. BB could have offered to have Capers run his D system for him and Capers might have said no thanks I have an opportunity to go run what I know and want out in Greenbay. No one knows. After Romeo was out of football BB offered him the coordinator job back and Romeo would have but simply had already agreed to be KC's coordinator and didn't want to burn a bridge. He's brought in and still has Floyd Reese to the best of my knowledge who has been a successful GM. Yes Reese publicly is supposedly more involved in the contract side but does anyone really think BB doesn't listen to any opinion Reese might have on such matters? If you have a player who is not buying in or refuses to do what they are told you don't play them and if you aren't going to play you don't keep them. Try coaching something at any level and play a player who has all the talent but never does what they are suppose to and see how fast your hair turns grey and how quickly you sit that player. ...At least in teams sports where a unit has to work collectively together. I'd like to know if anyone knows of any other organization that has sustained even close to the turnover the Patriots have sustained in the past decade due to "success" and people leaving of their own accord for career advancement? All while still maintaining a winning team and keeping offensive and defensive system continuity. These are just some of the things that fly in the face of him having an ego that is detrimental to the team. Have the Pats made some player personnel blunders? Yep. Can anyone name an organization that hasnen't? Are all those other organizations blunders due to some coach or GM's ego? Come on people. Is BB perfect, nope far from it. Does the team/organization do some things that drive me crazy as an outsider not knowing the facts. On the surface, absolutely. Do I think it simply boils down to BB's ego? No Way!!
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

re: "Is BB perfect, nope far from it. Does the team/organization do some things that drive me crazy as an outsider not knowing the facts. On the surface, absolutely. Do I think it simply boils down to BB's ego? No Way!!"

bb's emotional limitations (what others here refer to as ego) are visible not just in the way he runs the organization. brilliant man. emotional limitations that he is not working on do affect the running of our team and therefore the product and result.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Whatever Davedsone. It was just a question. So many of you can't have discussions without just bashing the person for asking the question. You all carry it way beyond the discussion point. It is like as Pats fans we can never say a bad word about the team. It appears more like you want to maintain your inflated ego by knocking others for just asking a simple question. All you have to do is give your response. Why you feel the need to attack another poster is beyond me. I don't know you and you don't know me, so why make it personal. It makes no sense.
    Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE]

its called fascism. those who are emotionally weak are very susceptible.
    it often is displayed in support of a nation, ie natzi germany, or closer to home, her in the u.s. where it tries to pass as "patriotism". our way is right, no matter what, f u if you say otherwise. do not use your brain. do not question anything. blind allegiance or we all will attack you. makes for great dictatorships and atrocities (including those done by the u. s. govt.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from doticus. Show doticus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is coach BB's EGO hurting the PATS : There's a lot more proof it's Brady and not BB. Look at the all the little geeks here following the anti-BB media's lead. The D is improved dramatically over last year's but all we here is how bad it is. Run D, red zone D, and pass rush = All improved. These are facts.  In the last 3 games, the NE 3rd down D?   Outstanding. The media is afraid to challenge and question Brady, so we end up with Gasper behind his keyboard and his small wee-wee writing about how BB doesn't know hwo to draft, coach, develop players, or hire coordinators. SO, we also end up with his minions doing the same thing here, totally unable to analyze this game. Here are 3 dead giveaways that prove it's not BB, but Brady: 1. BB traded Brady's binky (Moss) last year.  NE's offense became more balanced, NE rolled into the postseason with the best D in the NFL for the month of Dec.  I think they overthought the gameplan with Brady winning out, and the base shotgun spread failed miserably. He also drafted two TEs, brought back Branch, brough into Ochocinco and took two RBs.  Maybe if we threw less than 45 times in a game, Ridley can help? 2. We start the Oakland game in the shotgun spread formation, where our O Line is totally blasted off the line by a gacked up, aging Seymour, who hasn't played with that kind of energy, before or since.  A timeout is called. We then switch to running the ball and essentially taking over the game on that first drive. I think BB called that timeout, not Brady or O'Brien. I also think BB reined in Brady after the horrendous display in Buffalo. I think thhey let Brady try run his Addiction Offense in Oakland, BB saw Oakland's linneup and just pulled the plug right then and there. 3. Fast forward to Dallas.  BJGE up the middle, 9 yards. Brady to the shotgun.  hard to ignore this...B rady takes a sack. Again. 3rd and long, a timeout. Who called that timeout? BB. They draw up a play they think can work to bail them out, but what if that hadn't have happened and BB lets O'Brien call some shitgun play and we punt? Do we win that game? I don't think so. In Pitt, no run game even attempted in man coverage, late to adjust, Brady wants to be a hero throwing again on national tv. It's becoming way too obvious. Didn't Brady seem distant after the great, physical Raiders and Jets wins, postgame? The fact is, the media makes more money off of this anti-BB crusade, they can't see the elephant in the room is really Brady. Not BB. BB was coach of the year last year, should have been executive of the year and is constantly trying to what is best for the team. Is Brady?  Does Brady see what he's doing? I agree none of us know, but I write this, because the media plays BB out to be a bad guy, Brady has ZERO accountability here, and we see little geeks like Mt. Hurl, Babe Parillo and the Brady Ballwashers all buy into premises by Gasper, ESPN, Mazz/Felger, instead of actually watching these games. We are witnessing the worst stretch of BRady's career, so let's see if he backs up his statment about "seeing how tough we are" this week. Yup. Let's see, Tom.  Let's see if you can realize how sad it is educated Pats fans see the the problems more than you do. I just saw Reiss's breakdown of the Pats game and on Brady's 2nd INT on 2nd and 3 to start the half, Ochocinco was wide open. Uh-huh.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

I can think of 30 teams that would be happy with Tom Brady as a QB (maybe not Green Bay this year).  He is human, in that if you consistently hurry him, he makes mistakes.  So do 31 other QBs in this league.  But I will still take him over all the others.

He did have problems on Sunday, but he also drove down the field for what should have been the final score.  He was the MVP last season.  Your post is why people consider New England fans spoiled.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is coach BB's EGO hurting the PATS : I can think of 30 teams that would be happy with Tom Brady as a QB (maybe not Green Bay this year).  He is human, in that if you consistently hurry him, he makes mistakes.  So do 31 other QBs in this league.  But I will still take him over all the others. He did have problems on Sunday, but he also drove down the field for what should have been the final score.  He was the MVP last season.  Your post is why people consider New England fans spoiled.
    Posted by doticus[/QUOTE]

New England fans are spoiled. No doubt. Sox winning twice, Pats 3 times, the Cs and now the Bs. But for some it could be just passion. The Pats have had the stuff to win again and have not. And having exited so quickly the past few years is troubling. And to lose last Sunday the way they did was painful. But, it is only half way through the season, so we shall see.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I don't know if it's ego or what. Something is obviously hurting the Pats and it aint' Brady Rusty. Yes, Brady has been off the last 3 games or so, and not the best year for him in terms of protecting the football which is what he was so great at in years past.

Sometimes I think BB thinks he can change mediocre and washed up players into talented contributors. I also think he gets a bit too cute in the draft by always trading down and picking for value. Hey Russ, you mention all the great weapons on offense we added, but 2 of those RB's really haven't seen the field, nor our supposed deep threat weapon in Price. So, that's Ridley with promise but not used enough, Vereen who hasn't seen the field, Price who hasn't really seen the field, Ocho who looks lost. What does that leave us with? Same as last year in Welker, Gronk, Hern, Branch, Woody, BJGE, Faulk...And a Brady that looks somewhat off this year in terms of decision making and accuracy.That is not the greatest recipe for success.

I won't go to the defense because Russ will repost his stuff about being better than last year, and MThurl will have to chime in and clearly point out the 32nd ranking in a few categories, which is probably more indicative of what this defense really is.

So, is it BB's ego? Yes and No. No on the above. I just think those are miscalculations and not sure what you chaulk those up to. Yes on the fact that he has not brought in any proven OC/DC talent to coach these young guys up. O'Brien and Patricia?...are you joking? It's not like this team has 5 years to wait for those boneheads to catch up...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]New England fans are spoiled. No doubt. Sox winning twice, Pats 3 times, the Cs and now the Bs. But for some it could be just passion. The Pats have had the stuff to win again and have not. And having exited so quickly the past few years is troubling. And to lose last Sunday the way they did was painful. But, it is only half way through the season, so we shall see.
    I'm the only one here I guess who came away encouraged by how the defense played for most of the game Sunday. If they hold on that last drive they would have been the talk of the town this week. But they didn't so they stink. Truth of the matter is committing four turnovers won't win you many ballgames.

A couple of losses and people around here are calling for someone's head. It's crazy. There's still a half a season to go. A lot can happen. I'm staying optimistic.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is coach BB's EGO hurting the PATS : There are alot of good points in there but it glides right over the problem that since 2004, when the gang broke up they have been to 1 SB in 7 years.  Worse then that (since getting to a SB is dam hard) is there continual decline in the play-offs from the SB to losing in the second round, to 2 first round exits.  There is a downward tratectory that at the moment has them in 3rd place in the division and out of the play-offs.
    Posted by Patsman3[/QUOTE]

Re-read this please, and tell me it doesn't sound a bit silly.  ONLY been to ONE Superbowl since 2007?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Davedsone. Does it not read since 2004 they have been to one super bowl in 7yrs. Is that not correct. I did not write it just saying....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from vapatfan1. Show vapatfan1's posts

[QUOTE]Well, I think he is still a good defensive coach, but his grocery list stinks and is stale and outdated. Thats the problem. These not very talented players arent grasping schemes and are hit or miss. Some week they seem to execute zone defense ok and we have a chance and other times they are all over the place. Its hard to go from Rodney Harrison to Chung who is good but just too young. Remember when Rodney came here he was an 11 year vet who saw it all. We have no Willie Mac!  No body that makes a difference. Noone that loves football so much they are willing to sacrifice anything to win. You cant expect there to be Troy Brown in 2011 because the generation is different and B.B. aint exaclty bridging the gap, so to speak. Meriweather didnt care enough.  Mayo is a hard worker but isnt making plays due to being out of place. Ninkovich, God love em, but c'mon.  When he is the most consistent Backer in terms of snaps played, you are in trouble. Who wanted Kyle Arrington.  Atleast he has been coached up, but these guys in the back end , Barret, Brown I mean they had lackluster collegiate careers and we expect them to play at a high level in the NFL I dont... B.B. created this problem, so I guess its still him but he needs to realize, NOW is the time to get TALENTED players, as there arent many "run thru a wall for you players" left. Eventually you need playmakers and we havent got many right now
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

Jay, you make very good points.  I think BB let too many good players get drafted by other teams in his endless trade-down mode.  Has that worked?  Having a bunch of draft choices do no good if you draft crap.  You're not going to find the next Tom Brady in the sixth round every single draft.  You see the proof of staying put in Nate Solder, who I think is the first Patriot draft pick in a while who I think is going to actually play to his draft position. 

How many plays even from this years draft are making an impact now that could have been Patriots picks.  Given our immediate needs on defense BB couldn't find ONE defensive player in say Shane Vereen's draft spot or in the later part of the first round when we had another pick?  Was Ras-IR Dowling really worth dropping down to the 2nd round for?    

BB needs to wear the hat he's best at, the coaches hat...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is coach BB's EGO hurting the PATS : re: " Is BB perfect, nope far from it. Does the team/organization do some things that drive me crazy as an outsider not knowing the facts. On the surface, absolutely. Do I think it simply boils down to BB's ego? No Way!!" bb's emotional limitations (what others here refer to as ego) are visible not just in the way he runs the organization. brilliant man. emotional limitations that he is not working on do affect the running of our team and therefore the product and result.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

Seriously? You are actually trying to say you have psycho analyzed him from a far? You must be some sort of super therapist or something. I am being facetious ofcourse but honestly to you freely judge everyone in life that you never met or know well so quickly and easily?

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know if it's ego or what. Something is obviously hurting the Pats and it aint' Brady Rusty. Yes, Brady has been off the last 3 games or so, and not the best year for him in terms of protecting the football which is what he was so great at in years past. Sometimes I think BB thinks he can change mediocre and washed up players into talented contributors. I also think he gets a bit too cute in the draft by always trading down and picking for value. Hey Russ, you mention all the great weapons on offense we added, but 2 of those RB's really haven't seen the field, nor our supposed deep threat weapon in Price. So, that's Ridley with promise but not used enough, Vereen who hasn't seen the field, Price who hasn't really seen the field, Ocho who looks lost. What does that leave us with? Same as last year in Welker, Gronk, Hern, Branch, Woody, BJGE, Faulk...And a Brady that looks somewhat off this year in terms of decision making and accuracy.That is not the greatest recipe for success. I won't go to the defense because Russ will repost his stuff about being better than last year, and MThurl will have to chime in and clearly point out the 32nd ranking in a few categories, which is probably more indicative of what this defense really is. So, is it BB's ego? Yes and No. No on the above. I just think those are miscalculations and not sure what you chaulk those up to. Yes on the fact that he has not brought in any proven OC/DC talent to coach these young guys up. O'Brien and Patricia?...are you joking? It's not like this team has 5 years to wait for those boneheads to catch up...
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Was Mangini or McDaniels proven before they took the roles? Were they not snapped up to be head coaches because of the league reputation they earned? Before you say oh and look how that turned out, let's not forget Romeo suffered the same fate and he was proven and IS often brought up by fans as the guy everyone would want back. ...and I am not saying it would be a bad thing if we had gotten him over KC.

simple fact...

Patricia lead Pats D. Ranked 20th in points allowed per game currently. 23/g

Romeo lead KC D. ranked 25th in points allowed per game currently. 25.1/g

Capers lead GB D ranked 17th in points allowed per game currently. 22.4/g

Sure stats can say anything you want them too which is why BB makes that stats for losers statement half in jest. ...but last I checked the team who scores more points than the other or gives up fewer than the other wins. So total D, passing D ratings etc, I could care less about.

So you could argue against the Patricia lead Pats D saying that Brady and the O help out the D and that's why  Patricia's D give up fewer than Romeos D because the KC O is not very good.

...but if you make that argument then you have to make the same argument in support of Patricia vs Capers since GB's O is higher rated than the Pats and yet the Pats D is only giving up less than 1 point more per game so far this year.

Name recognition is often way overrated in coaching. It's simply more sellable.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]Davedsone. Does it not read since 2004 they have been to one super bowl in 7yrs. Is that not correct. I did not write it just saying....

I assumed Patsman was meaning haven't "WON" one since 2004 and so 7 years but they were "IN" one only 4 years ago after having a perfect season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

Rusty - you really make me laugh - your thesis is simple - BB has historically been a great coach, likely hasn't forgotten how to coach - so it can't be on him that the Pats are struggling

There is some validity in that - if BB was only the coach, and not the GM as well, most of this criticsm wouldn't stick to him - but he IS both - and most of the frustration people have is related to the talent on the field - which is, in a lot of cases, mediocre  - that is entirely on BB - as is his inexplicable need for control that has him with only one good coordinator (Scharnecchia)

The simple truth is that Belichick the coach is suffering from the failures (especially on D, this last game notwithstanding) of Belichick the GM - said another way, BB the coach is bailing out BB the GM by getting more out of this talent then most coaches would

Rusty - your incessant busting of Tom Brady is ludicrous on its face - he has played some bad games this year for sure - I haven't seen him ducking that fact either - but you, on the one hand, hold up Bill Belichick as the best coach in the history of the world, but on the other hand state that Tom Brady has hi-jacked Bill Belichicks team for the sake of his own ego and BB is powerless to stop it -

How is BB the greatest as a coach if he can't control his own QB?

How about this - Brady is a hall of fame player who has had some bad game recently, Bill Belichick the coach is doing the best he can with mediocre overall talent  - and BB the GM need to step up his game........

Can you explain it to us Rusty? - Also, don't suggest that I get my opinion on any of this from any news source - the only Pats writer I read is Reiss - and I have been traveling since Monday am and haven't read him either - I just watch the games and call it like I see it

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

they don't call BB "little big man" because of his humility. our receivers are a joke outside of welker and the tes, our linebackers are blah, our secondary is super blah, and bb drafted 3rd and 4th string rbs in the top 3 rounds. genius.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

BB is one of the greatest coaches of all time, but I think he has too much power. He is th Head Coach, he is the Defensive Coordinator, he was the Offensive coordinator, he is the GM, and he is in charge of everything in football operations, minus negotiating (Floyd Reese and Nick Casario).  BB thrived when he had some authority, but coaches and a GM there to question him, to feed new ideas.  BB can't run this team alone, it's time to get him some help.  

I still love BB, and would not trade him for any othe coach, but even the greatest leaders have advisors.  It is never good for so much power to belong in in one man's hand, in life and in football.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]BB is one of the greatest coaches of all time, but I think he has too much power. He is th Head Coach, he is the Defensive Coordinator, he was the Offensive coordinator, he is the GM, and he is in charge of everything in football operations, minus negotiating (Floyd Reese and Nick Casario).  BB thrived when he had some authority, but coaches and a GM there to question him, to feed new ideas.  BB can't run this team alone, it's time to get him some help.   I still love BB, and would not trade him for any othe coach, but even the greatest leaders have advisors.  It is never good for so much power to belong in in one man's hand, in life and in football.

"BB thrived when he had some authority, but coaches and a GM there to question him, to feed new ideas.  BB can't run this team alone, it's time to get him some help.  

"I still love BB, and would not trade him for any othe coach, but even the greatest leaders have advisors.  It is never good for so much power to belong in in one man's hand, in life and in football."

thats what i've / we've (a few) been saying 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxpowers034. Show maxpowers034's posts

Her's a good artice on this
    http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/is_bill_belichick_spreading_himself_too_thin/7816168

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Is coach BB's EGO hurting the PATS : yes, absolutely!..His ego has gotten in the way for the last couple of years. His thinking that you can get rid of talent and replace it with "plug-ins" is ridiculous, his drafting stinks, his bargain shopping for talent is absurd, plus I'm soooo tired of hearing how this guy is a "defensive guru, genius, or whatever other lofty title you want to bestow upon him. That's a bunch of garbage when you consistently have on of the WORST defenses in the league!
    Posted by smorgan86[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

you are correct. I made the same observation on this forum last week. People seem to forget that he inherited a lot of talent in 2000 from Bobby Griers' great work and drafting. Guys like Bledsoe, McGinnest, Law, C Martin, Glenn, Bruschi, Faulk, T Johnson.

Exactly who has he added since? Seymour, Wilfolk, Samuel and exactly who else in 10 years.

The man can't deal with not having the spotlight hence no good assistants and horrible drafting.

How do you go from a dominant defensive team to a joke giving up 323 passing yards/game?

Look at his record of drafting secondary players over the past 5 years: Willhite Wheatley, Merriweather, Butler, even Chung is suspect. Why can't he draft? Simply his EGO. He won't listen to ANYONE and the team is breaking down and can't stop anyone

Sections
Shortcuts