Is Dobson on the bubble?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Is Dobson on the bubble?

In response to russgriswold's comment:

And who claims TCal is not a troll?  Anyone (besides his troll buddies)?

His observation may be against conventional wisdom, but I don't believe it was posted for the sole purpose of ruffling feathers and getting attention.

Not a troll.

Not a good observation or opinion, but not troll work.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I don't think he's on the bubble at all.  At the same time, I haven't been overly impressed with his performances in the games.  Some good stuff, some bad stuff.  For those who question BB's drafting, I think the interesting thing will be to watch how Cordarelle Patterson does in Minnesota.  We could have had him, but traded that pick and ended up getting four guys instead:

• Jamie Collins
    • Logan Ryan
    • Josh Boyce
    • Lagarette Blount (with Jeff Demps thrown in along with the pick).

On the surface, that seems like a really good deal to me, especially if Collins, Ryan, and Boyce all live up to their potential.  But the trade did mean we passed on a receiver who many think will be a very good one and had to "settle" for Dobson and Boyce.  Judging the success of this trade, I think, will require seeing whether our glaring receiver need is met by Dobson and Boyce better than it would have been with Patterson, as well as looking at how the four guys we got for the Patterson pick turn out.    

Only issue with this is you must presume BB would have taken Patterson if he kept pick 29. Although we'll never know, I doubt that would have happened. Just doesn't seem like a BB kind of player.

So, really you need to look at all the players selected between Patterson and Collins as ones that BB may have passed on by making the trade. For all we know, he may have grabbed Collins with that pick had he stayed there. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

The thought that this is even in conversation is crazy. For starters hes hands down the best blocking reciever we have. He's only four games into his early career and has tons of room to develope. 

Most importantly if Mallett throws that ball in the corner endzone a foot to 3 feet higher Dobson comes down with it and its a TD. Did you see how much higher he was than Prince. Dobson will be more of a threat in the redzone along with Zudfeld. But look for Danny, Thompkins and Boyce to take more advantage of the open field and move the chains. Dobson is not on the bubble. Not even close. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I don't think he's on the bubble at all.  At the same time, I haven't been overly impressed with his performances in the games.  Some good stuff, some bad stuff.  For those who question BB's drafting, I think the interesting thing will be to watch how Cordarelle Patterson does in Minnesota.  We could have had him, but traded that pick and ended up getting four guys instead:

• Jamie Collins
    • Logan Ryan
    • Josh Boyce
    • Lagarette Blount (with Jeff Demps thrown in along with the pick).

On the surface, that seems like a really good deal to me, especially if Collins, Ryan, and Boyce all live up to their potential.  But the trade did mean we passed on a receiver who many think will be a very good one and had to "settle" for Dobson and Boyce.  Judging the success of this trade, I think, will require seeing whether our glaring receiver need is met by Dobson and Boyce better than it would have been with Patterson, as well as looking at how the four guys we got for the Patterson pick turn out.    

Only issue with this is you must presume BB would have taken Patterson if he kept pick 29. Although we'll never know, I doubt that would have happened. Just doesn't seem like a BB kind of player.

So, really you need to look at all the players selected between Patterson and Collins as ones that BB may have passed on by making the trade. For all we know, he may have grabbed Collins with that pick had he stayed there. 

I know what you're saying--but part of the evaluation is whether BB should be taking players he normally wouldn't take.  I think those who criticize BB's drafts sometimes do so because they think he passes up on raw talent to get guys he believes will be better fits with the team or his approach.  Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but it's part of what you need to evaluate. For instance, does BB value discipline and/or versatility too highly . . . and should he value raw athleticism more? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I get that the thread was initiated for discussion purposes (as I would hope all are intended to be). I like Dobson but I have seen some things that tell me that he remains raw in a few areas (double catches, makes tough catches/drops easy ones).  Under no circumstances do I believe he's on the bubble.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Maybe the fact he's a lock has been reflected in his play.  Just seems all the other Rooks including UDFA Sims have been performing at a higher level so far.  Of course his performance over 4 preseason games (small sample size) doesn't mean he can't turn out be our most productive WR this year. 

Obviously there's a reason why BB had him playing during garbage time of the 4th preseason game.  That's not a reward for outstanding play.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Playing in the 4th Qtr of the last preseason game can't be a good sign.  I read great things all camp about him yet he showed nothing durning any of the games.  If he and Sims were in competition tonight I'd say Sims won by a Knock out.

Dobson makes the team and isn't even cose to the cut line.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Maybe the fact he's a lock has been reflected in his play.  Just seems all the other Rooks including UDFA Sims have been performing at a higher level so far.  Of course his performance over 4 preseason games (small sample size) doesn't mean he can't turn out be our most productive WR this year. 

Obviously there's a reason why BB had him playing during garbage time of the 4th preseason game.  That's not a reward for outstanding play.

All good points.  Maybe he's just not that good, or maybe he's just not that good yet.  Either way, I don't see Belichick dumping him before the first regular season game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Dobson is already good. He already is a threat deep for his ability to go up for a ball. He is already a threat in red zone. He is already willing to catch the ball over the middle. He already has very good hands.

He is on the team. He will play some as he develops. DA, and Thompkins area ahead of him in tiems they will be targeted. I assume also for Edelman. But I think Dobson see field time each game. THey want him developoing along with Boyce and Thompkins so that by playoff time they are 1 year veterans not raw rookies and have good rapour with TB.

Efficiency wise this could be TBs best year andb  overall when you also factor in Gronk, Sudfeld (a br recvier than AH was) and Vereen. Maybe more running this year than previous but with play action this could be TBs most efficient year ever.

And if Jones, Kelly, Nink, Forston, Buchanon, Highhtower, Spikes all step up and we have a noticably better pass rush then the O will be even more efficient.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

No way BB cuts a second round pick the very same year he drafts him.  He's lagging a bit behind the other receivers, but I see that more as a testament to the stepping up and quick development of some of the other receivers than a knock on him personally.  He has the size and skill set we've been looking for, it's just going to take some developmental time for him to have a chance to shine. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Playing in the 4th Qtr of the last preseason game can't be a good sign.  I read great things all camp about him yet he showed nothing durning any of the games.  If he and Sims were in competition tonight I'd say Sims won by a Knock out.

No. Dobson makes the team.

After the draft, I had questioned the Dobson selection at #59, over Washington State WR Markus Wheaton, now with the Pittsburgh Steelers. I liked Wheaton better because he's a speedster, with the ability to stretch the field. Since then, after seeing both play in the preseason games, I'm afraid that we could be looking at another Brandon Tate over Mike Wallace WR decision. It doesn't appear to me that Dobson is getting any separation when running his patterns. On the other hand, Wheaton looks explosive, and athletic. Hope I'm wrong.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Yes TCal, the first offensive play drafted this year is on the bubble because a PS WR played well against the Giants' final cuts.Undecided

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[QUOTE]

Good post.

Good post? I nominate this for most ridiculous post of the month! Cmon Tcal and Truechamp you both are much better than this!

[/QUOTECome on Quag, one of us is better then this.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Yes TCal, the first offensive play drafted this year is on the bubble because a PS WR played well against the Giants' final cuts.Undecided

This board has a habit of falling in love with guys that play a nice quarter in the preseason. 

Sims is behind Dobson.... who cares what he did against Giant's cuts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

He's not on the bubble, but I think I'd put Boyce, Sudfeld, Thompkins and Amendola ahead of him in terms of what they've showed/played. And that's not good enough - let's hope this guy isn't the way he is starting to look on the field right now. The guy ran a 4.4, but man he doesn't look like the type of receiver we usually go for around here (quick twitch, run after the catch types). We will learn a lot more as the season goes on. 

Very good point. He looked slow to me both down the field and much more glaringly underneath with the quick moves across the field. One or two plays I thought out loud that he appeared to be A) in slow motion or B)running in cement. Boyce looks like pure lightening in all facets. Ironic given the fact I was much higher on Dobson from day one. I found myself cheering for Dobson to "become" my new favorite wide out. I was biased. boyce won me over on pure eye test material. Same with k.thompkins. Sudfield and Simms are both growing on me. This being said...4,6,8 weeks from now it could and probably will all have changed. That's the nature of rookies.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Not even close....

Dobson is the real deal...stay tuned.

He's been affected by the Pats having some O line troubles in pre-season in terms of pass protection. Dobson is a downfield guy and that takes time to work.

Once the Pats go live with the first string O line, and Brady is behind center, it will be Dobson time and it will be really good stuff.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

No. Dobson makes the team.

After the draft, I had questioned the Dobson selection at #59, over Washington State WR Markus Wheaton, now with the Pittsburgh Steelers. I liked Wheaton better because he's a speedster, with the ability to stretch the field. Since then, after seeing both play in the preseason games, I'm afraid that we could be looking at another Brandon Tate over Mike Wallace WR decision. It doesn't appear to me that Dobson is getting any separation when running his patterns. On the other hand, Wheaton looks explosive, and athletic. Hope I'm wrong.   

I must say I felt exactly the same way when we drafted Dobson (I wanted Wheaton too and thought he was exactly the type of receiver we usually would go for). I got slammed pretty hard when the pick came up and the name we turned in was Dobson.

I will say that this is a kid that I will give plenty of time to before calling him a bust, because I watched him in camp and just with his size and hands alone, he should produce something. I imagine this kid should be a redzone threat at the very least right away....hands, size, etc.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

It would truly be disappointing if neither Dobson or Boyce becomes a quality starter and Wheaton does.  I think it's far too early to know though. 

It will be really interesting to see if BB solved our WR issue in this draft or missed the mark.  Remember, we had the opportunity to take Cordarelle Patterson as well as Markus Wheaton.  If neither Dobson or Boyce provides good production and either of those other two does, I think we'll have to conclude that BB failed.   If they work out, BB potentially did a great job, because the trade for the Patterson pick netted four guys (Collins, Ryan, Boyce, and Blount) who could all be significant contributors.  But we'll have to see how those four do, too . . .

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

This board has a habit of falling in love with guys that play a nice quarter in the preseason. 

Sims is behind Dobson.... who cares what he did against Giant's cuts.

Z... always good to hear from you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

And that is what happens when you base your opinion on a couple of drives and limited knowledge of what football players are actually supposed to be doing out there. 

Sims = cut. I guess he was on the bubble ... in fact. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

And that is what happens when you base your opinion on a couple of drives and limited knowledge of what football players are actually supposed to be doing out there. 

Sims = cut. I guess he was on the bubble ... in fact. 

Wow, relax Rusty.  It was a simple late night thread to draw a discussion.  Of course a 2nd round pick would never be on the bubble.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

[/QUOTE]

^^Sweet backpedal.

It was a troll thread.  The premise of your thread would never be a discussion.

I have no idea why people defend you or take you seriously. You are a troll.

[/QUOTE]

"If he and Sims were in competition tonight"

Sorry Farmer Ted.  I know your reading comprehension is poor but I forgive you.  My exact words.  It's called a HYPOTHETICAL.  You see the word "if".....right?

Sections
Shortcuts