Is Edelman on the Bubble?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Is Edelman on the Bubble?

I don't think he makes the team.  Every day I'm reading about the rooks and nothing on Edelman.  To be honest I thought he would have been cut last year had Demps not hurt himself.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Is Edelman on the Bubble?

Edelman is just coming back from the injury, give him some time. But really if they carry 6 WRs like most years who's going to replace him, Jenkins? I can see BB carrying 3 rook WRs but not 4 and Boyce, Dobson, Thompkins are making the most noise at camp. Amendola makes the team and Slater as the 6th WR/STer so that leaves one spot open. If it's not Edelman looking at this roster I'm not sure who would play that roll as Jenkins seems to have regressed

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I hope so.  Not because I dislike Edelman, but because if he's a lock it means our WRs are still weak. If Edelman does make the team I hope it's because he's the best punt returner.  If he's the best fourth or fifth receiver, though, I'll be disappointed in the depth of our receiving corp. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

He's never done anything on offense. Had one good game a couple years back....that's it.

I'd keep him as a punt returner.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Too early to tell.  Tackle football doesn't start until Friday.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

No, he's Amendola's back up and a heck of a PR.

There are 32 reasons not to throw the deep ball against the New England Patriots this season, they all end in "Because Devin McCourty will INT it".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I don't think so. Plus, I don't think he is a bad 5th option at WR. We could do a lot worse. 

amendola, Dobson, thompkins, Boyce, Edelman, slater...not a bad group.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Imagine Brady with Falcons receivers!!!!!!! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

No.  BB loves explosion and versatility.  That's Edelman.  Yes he's getting squeezed a bit by the good rookies and an excess of tight ends too, but he's still going to make the team. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I'd be very surprised if he is cut - heck he was taking Welkers reps in the first two regular season games last year - he is a good slot receiver with some open field elusiveness. I think Amendola splits time betwen slot and split, and when he is split Edelman may well be in the slot. Finally - Brady trusts him - he knows the offense and all the wrinkles in it - and he is the only receiver to have caught passes in live action from Brady (Slater doesn't count.)

He only had 21 receptions last year but 12 were 1st downs and 3 touchdowns and 11+ per catch in his 8+ games - 10 receptions in his first three games, 7 in the two games before the one he got injured in, and was only targeted 4 times in the three middle games (3 catches.)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Watch this 1 on 1 drill with Pats receivers vs Eagles DB's and it looks like Edelman has some very tough competition.  Not sure he sees as much time as many of us thought he would.  Edelman might be the 5or 6th best WR of the group, imo.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/multimedia/videos/DBs-Square-Off-vs-Patriots-WRs/6e5f12fd-810b-4c9a-85a4-464acd5a46b9

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

He makes the team. Amendola, Dobson, and Boyce are locks, because of not only their talent, but also the money and draft picks invested in them.

Thompkins makes the team because he is having one heck of a training camp. Slater makes it because of special teams.

Edelman makes it because a) he is the best punt returner the team has ever had, b) he is the only of the receivers on the team Brady has ever thrown to in a game, and c) he is actually a pretty decent receiver when he isn't injured.

Supra societatem nemo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

might as well clean up house....and get rid of Slater too. That way there would be no WRs with prior experience with Brady....lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

I just watched some games from the last couple of seasons, and I watched Slaters' one reception.

I have already forgotten which game it was, but I remember it was a really deep completion. Slater looked crazy fast, it's a shame he never has caught on as a receiver.

Supra societatem nemo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I say he makes it due to his versatility.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Edelman will be on this team if he is healthy. Granted he is not a major player in this offense but he is a versatile piece that can be used in multiple ways on offense and special teams.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

thanks for posting that video TFB. Good stuff.

it doesn't look like Edelman is getting much separation, and he looks a bit slower than years past. Honestly, I think he is still working his way back into football shape. I say he makes it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I've been on record as saying I don't like Edelman and thinking there's no way he turns into a NFL wide receiver...plus he gets hurt too much (that will happen again). But I must say the one practice I saw him in camp this year he looked much better than I ever remember seeing him and I've seen him live maybe four times. He looks much more polished now and still has that explosiveness that would make him valuable. I'd be shocked if he didn't make it at this point, mainly because the receivers are so young and let's face it, they are going to struggle against NFL corners...there will be a serious growing adjustment...no one knows how that will go, or how long that will take. You need a experienced guy like Edelman in this offense. I'll tell yeah Brady seems to trust him and looks for him in practice - same with Amendola - I could see the two of them being a dangerous combination (for three weeeks, until one of them goes down). 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Edelman strikes me as pretty inconsistent catching the ball.  He is a small target with only average hands who lacks the size to fight for the ball against bigger defenders. His success depends purely on quickness and toughness, which he does have, but I wonder if it's really enough to prompt BB to stick with him over some of the other receiving options.  His punt return skills, though, may save him, because all his strengths are utilized there and none of his weaknesses make much of a difference because punt returners aren't being covered when they catch the ball like receivers are.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Edelman strikes me as pretty inconsistent catching the ball.  He is a small target with only average hands who lacks the size to fight for the ball against bigger defenders. His success depends purely on quickness and toughness, which he does have, but I wonder if it's really enough to prompt BB to stick with him over some of the other receiving options.  His punt return skills, though, may save him, because all his strengths are utilized there and none of his weaknesses make much of a difference because punt returners aren't being covered when they catch the ball like receivers are.

I watched him a few years ago struggle to catch any pass over 7 yards - he would fight the ball - it was like he was trying so hard just to run the route right that when the ball came it was an afterthought. I think he has improved a bit...how much? That's the problem - he is hurt so often that you never really get to see him string games together for long to see what he can do. It looked like he was going to be a part of the offense last year, but of course he got injured. I'll tell yeah I was impressed with how polished he looked catching the ball in camp this year, aside from Amendola, he was the most game ready guy I saw out there. I'm sure in a couple of years Boyce, Dobson and Thompkins will be better, but right now I think he is more ready. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

No, wide receiver, punt returner, special teams, cornerback if need be, the guy is versitile and a good athlete.  Plus who makes it ahead of him...?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

I'm not saying he is a HoF-receiver, but less is needed to make the roster. Edelman is a 30-40 catches pr. season kind of guy, and thats fine! Plus he is a good PR, averaging more than 13 yards pr. PR over his career, with 3 TDs to boost.

If he doesn't make the team, then who does in his place? As of now it could be Aiken or Jenkins, but why? Do they bring something special to the table either as a receiver or in the return game?

Supra societatem nemo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to DanishPastry's comment:

I'm not saying he is a HoF-receiver, but less is needed to make the roster. Edelman is a 30-40 catches pr. season kind of guy, and thats fine! Plus he is a good PR, averaging more than 13 yards pr. PR over his career, with 3 TDs to boost.

If he doesn't make the team, then who does in his place? As of now it could be Aiken or Jenkins, but why? Do they bring something special to the table either as a receiver or in the return game?

Supra societatem nemo

It might be another TE or running back, too, that beats him out. Or even a defensive player.  All depends on how important Edelman's punt return skills are (does anyone beat him out there?) and how critical they see him as a back-up to Amendola.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

What about Tebow?  He plays no position well and most of you have him on your depth chart.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

What about Tebow?  He plays no position well and most of you have him on your depth chart.

Not me. TT is a wasted spot IMO.