is Gost not mentally tough enough?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

is Gost not mentally tough enough?

listening to felger and mazz on the radio for a few minutes......i dont usually take much of what they say seriously....but i think they are right on this one. they brought up the kickoff where lamichael james returned it for 63 yards.....he had been booming the kick out of the end zone on most of his kicks all night, but yet barely managed to get it to the goal line on the most important kick off of the night? so was that the gameplan or did he choke? its easy to say he isnt a clutch kicker because he misses so many kicks, but now im starting to wonder if he really just doesnt have it mentally to be a kicker.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Re: is Gost not mentally tough enough?

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One thing watch the replay, he at least went for the tackle, and somebody clocked him. He also kicked it to the right side of the field, a lot easier for Special Teams when it is on one side of the field. The whole group blew it.

[/QUOTE]

that is one thing i like about him, he isnt scared to go after the returners and make a tackle.....but we dont get a kicker to be a good tackler.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Cold air is heavy so the ball won't travel as far. Heavy rain is also beating the ball down. A wet ball has far less surface energy so his foot can't drive it like a dry ball.

The tacklers simply must make the tackle. (Brady has stated "We kinda gave the game away")

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Which way was the wind blowing? Could be he was kicking into the wind there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Which way was the wind blowing? Could be he was kicking into the wind there.

[/QUOTE]

possible, but when they were making their comeback, he was kicking the ball out of the end zone with ease, as far as i can remember.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:
    [QUOTE]

sounds like an easy scapegoat argument to me. maybe the wind was blowing, maybe he didn't get everything into it... none of that has anything to do with the ST's not making a tackle and letting him run 60 yards. the kickoff was plenty far enough to expect professional players to make a play.

[/QUOTE]

yea i agree the whole ST unit choked on that play

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:
    [QUOTE]

listening to felger and mazz on the radio for a few minutes......i dont usually take much of what they say seriously....but i think they are right on this one. they brought up the kickoff where lamichael james returned it for 63 yards.....he had been booming the kick out of the end zone on most of his kicks all night, but yet barely managed to get it to the goal line on the most important kick off of the night? so was that the gameplan or did he choke? its easy to say he isnt a clutch kicker because he misses so many kicks, but now im starting to wonder if he really just doesnt have it mentally to be a kicker.

[/QUOTE]

Felger and Mazz are morons. Granted they can be funny morons at times but morons just the same.

First is the obvious. 49ers had 6 KO returns. If Gost was booting every single one out of the endzone then how did they have 6 KO returns? Pats did not KO to start the game just the 2nd half. Only scored 4 TD's I think and 2 field goals. What is that? 7 KO's? So ONLY 1 KO if I am not mistaking was not returned.

If I was accurate above(?), that kills their mindless drivel right there but I will go on...

Lets say Gost kicked most KO's 3-5 yards deep in the endzone most of the night but in the middle of the field. Lets say he kicked them deeper but on more of a line drive, out kicking his effective coverage. Middle of the field gives the returner more opportunity to work the entire field for his return. The speed at which the KO gets to him on a line drive potentially out kicking his effective coverage. Are those really good things?

Situational football and pros and cons... While kicking it out of the endzone might eliminate a possible big runback it ALSO eliminates any chance for a turn over as well as the possibility of forcing a kick returner into a corner with an angled very high(more time for better coverage) KO and trying to pin him deep in his own end. Essentially forcing a young inexperienced QB to start a possession deep inside his own redzone, late in a critical game.

Felger and Mazz nor anyone else including myself have any idea what Gost's marching orders were for a particular KO.

As far as wanting to question his dependability because of a few past misses in previous games? Sure if you want to but botom line is that the Pats don't even really have a reason to try an onside kick if he doesn't come in at a critical time under junk conditions and nail that FG just prior. I'd say he showed his mental toughness on that.

It's complete nonsense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

With the kickoffs moved up there is no excuse for not reaching the endzone in weather like last night.  I sometimes wonder if they are trying to force a runback.  But with Edelman gone from the coverage team they have slid in performance.

On a related note (punter, not kicker) Andy Lee (SF) had a 56.6 yard average last night in the cold and rain.   He's a very good kicker, but I am more than a little suspicious.  That's more than 10 yards more than Zoltan who has a strong leg himself.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeritasMD. Show VeritasMD's posts

Gost is a huge weak link, who gets away with it because we usually win by 50 points.  He choked away a game early in the year, and we'd have a first round bye in the playoffs if it wasn't for that. 

Compared to Viniteiri, who made every clutch kick ever, Gost scares the heck out of me.  You can tell Belichick has no faith in him too.  Any time they have a chance to try a 45+ yard FG, Bill goes for it, or punts. 

God help us if we need Gost to make a 45 yard FG to win a playoff game. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The whole group blew it.

[/QUOTE]

That's what I saw. Ghost didn't cause that debacle.

But If i were BB I'd bring a new kicker for tryouts next season

Sections
Shortcuts