Is Gronkowski the next great tight end?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prob2236. Show prob2236's posts

Is Gronkowski the next great tight end?

This guy was a red zone beast last season as a 22 year old rookie.  It seems like hes having a great training camp so far to.  Reports are that hes catching everything that comes his way and some reports even go so far to say that he has been dominating training camp.  It seems like the sky is the limit for this guy and hes taking off like a damn Nasa shuttle. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Re: Is Gronkowski the next great tight end?

In Response to Is Gronkowski the next great tight end?:
    This guy was a red zone beast last season as a 22 year old rookie.  It seems like hes having a great training camp so far to.  Reports are that hes catching everything that comes his way and some reports even go so far to say that he has been dominating training camp.  It seems like the sky is the limit for this guy and hes taking off like a damn Nasa shuttle. 
    Posted by prob2236

premature...wait it out a few years. Dont even think hes top 5 in the league right now

Gates, Davis, Witten, Miller, Carlson

I might even put Finley up here when healthy. Though I havent seen him block, and consider him more as a WR, but hes def in the conversation. Dallas Clark, when healthy, is also up there

IF youve seen these guys play, you know theyre good. Some of their stats may not be as great, but I think thats cause of their QB

Being a great Red Zone Target is great. But as soon as he does more in the other parts of the field, Im not ready to say hes the next great...

His blocking is pretty good too though

And yes, i left Gonzalez off the list. Hes still top 10 right now, but i dont think top 5...if we're talking about career achievement...hes up top

im sure im forgetting other guys ttoo...but the point is, just wait before making a premature statement haha. Its good wishful thinking though

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I want no other TE in the league but this guy

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I think Gronk could be the best TE we've had since Ben Coates. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ben-umass. Show ben-umass's posts

In Response to Re: Is Gronkowski the next great tight end?:
    I want no other TE in the league but this guy
    Posted by JayShizzle45

agreed

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuckItOnce. Show TuckItOnce's posts

He's Witten, but faster and more athletic.  He might even be a better blocker than Witten.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Imagine having Witten and Dallas Clark on the same team.  I kinda think that's where we are right now w/ Gronk and Hernandez.  Hernandez is no slouch himself.  His presence, and the need to feed him passes, will somewhat limit how 'great' Gronk becomes in the short term.  They both need the ball.  Gronk has better overall game.  But I feel like with these two, we almost have a 1a and 1b.  Bad news for opposing teams for the next 3 years.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Gates(mr turf toe) is starting to look like Alge Crumpler and if not for his great route running, probably couldnt outrun a linebacker at this stage in his career.

Davis has put it together now for 1.5 years after showing early signs of being a bust. I give him the nod in terms of speed, but not nearly the redzone threat that Gronk is

Witten is the product of Romo being his best friend and lack of consistent outside reciever, that allows Witten to catch a lot of balls. He has some of the surest mitts in the game, but not a spectacular athlete or redzone target. Good intermediate reciever and security blanket, but I'll take Gronk.

H.Miller is a great blocker and reliabe reciever, but nothing special and not close to the talent that Gronk is.

Carlson shouldnt even be mentioned in this discussion...

Everyone on your list is on the decline...and going forward I think Gronk will be the best.  Im not going on past accolades..this is now!  No homerism...just the truth

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

he only turned 22 in may.
    it seems like every media outlet is saying that gronk is the best player on the field at training camp

Posted by prob2236

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

One thing to watch for may his back. I know it was a concern when drafting him. Let's hope it doesn't affect his career.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

I think he already is the next great TE.  He is the total package the way Coats was.  He can block, catch, get YAC, go short, go deep, etc... 

The fact we have Hernandez too on this roster almost seems unfair! 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

He's better than Coates, which is scary.  Coates wasn't that great a blocker. Coates was an incredible pass catcher, but not as athletic as Gronk. It was always funny watching Coates catch balls at his ankles and then drag 3 tacklers 10 yards down the seam.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Agree that Gronk is superb and has plenty of upside left but the kid who was a real surprise to me was Lee Smith from Marshal.  They list him at about the same size as Gronk but his stride is much smoother and he does have great hands.  I did not get to see him block but the book on him is that he is a lights out blocker.  This kid is a real keeper.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Gates(mr turf toe) is starting to look like Alge Crumpler and if not for his great route running, probably couldnt outrun a linebacker at this stage in his career. Davis has put it together now for 1.5 years after showing early signs of being a bust. I give him the nod in terms of speed, but not nearly the redzone threat that Gronk is Witten is the product of Romo being his best friend and lack of consistent outside reciever, that allows Witten to catch a lot of balls. He has some of the surest mitts in the game, but not a spectacular athlete or redzone target. Good intermediate reciever and security blanket, but I'll take Gronk. H.Miller is a great blocker and reliabe reciever, but nothing special and not close to the talent that Gronk is. Carlson shouldnt even be mentioned in this discussion... Everyone on your list is on the decline...and going forward I think Gronk will be the best.  Im not going on past accolades..this is now!  No homerism...just the truth
    Posted by JayShizzle45

I meant Zach Miller. Look at Carlson's numbers...hes right on par with Gronkowski...on a much worse offense. His numbers dipped this year cause he was asked to block a lot more to cover for that horrid o-line

Dont get me wrong, Gronk has all the potential in the world...hes only in his second year.

But the guy had 5 games last season with under 15 receiving yards.

Gates may be slowing down...but hes still among the best. 10 TDS in 12 games last season...and he gets more attention from the defense than Gronk

Davis is a beast. Look at his QB situation and o-coordinator situation in SF...If you put him in the Pats offense youd probably respect his redzone skills more

Witten was good before Romo came in. And he did most of his damage this season after Romo got hurt...and Dez and Miles Austin are pretty good outside threats.

Gronk is in a great situation with one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time throwing him passes. I dont know how great he'll be in the future. He has potential to be great...but im not ready to say hes the next big thing. IMO

Im not attack Gronk here. Im just trying to be objective. Feel free to disagree with me. just an opinion

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

*attacking

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

agreed, he stays healthy he may be the best in the NFL sooner than later. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Did you just say that after ONE SEASON he is better then Ben Coates? NO WAY. Im not saying he wont be better then Coates but one good rookie season does not make to better then a legend. Gronk might be the next great TE but right now he is just a very good second year player who still needs to prove he can do it from year to year. Dont get ahead of yourself when it comes to young players. How many great rookies end up gone by year 3? A lot. I love this guy and have high hopes im just trying to keep it real. And Rusty Dustin Keller will have a good season so dont turn your nose up just yet. Who else are they going to throw to other then Keller and Holmes? Plex? Who will be hurt half the year im sure of it and wont be very good IMO or Mason who is 37 going on 50? Keller is not a well rounded TE, I would rather have the guys we have over him any day, but he is a good pass catcher and Sanchez trusts him, in fact I would say he is Sanchez's favorite target even more so then Holmes.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

Agreed. You cant assume hes going to get better each season. There have been rookies who have had great rookie seasons only to be a bust afterwards.

Lets give gronk at least some more time before comparing him to all time greats

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

He looks like he has teh potential to be the Ben Coates of this decade.  He's probably a more physically gifted player, but let's see if the consistency is there.  Gronk's dad should go the the fertility clinic and charge a premium, put his face on the vial with his three NFL sons! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

BB made a great pick in Gronk, I think if he can continue to develop his skills, he can be one of the greatest tight-ends in football. It's still early in his career to say he will be better than Gonzalez, but he has a ton of potential.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

No Dmc, I dont disagree with any that you are saying, im just stating that where Gronk is now comapred to everyone you mentioned, I will take him. I cant remember any of the others getting as many td's as a rookie.  Also, Gronk was a rookie playing with Brady who is very selective at who he throws too and has Wes (800) catches in last 4 years, and Branch who came back midway who was once his favorite reciever , not to mention Hernandez, so Im not sure playing w/Brady and his bunch was easier than a guy like Zach getting balls cuz noone else is there, or Witten who is Romo's favorite target or anyone else for that matter.  Understand I know He is not better now, but in 3 years He will be the Best, unless some other freak comes along.  All the guys you mention are not gonna be great going forward for much longer, so Yes, he is the next great or one of the great TE's...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

So I shouldnt be asking for his jacket size yet for the orange blazer...lol  - I got you...

Im just excited about actually having a real tight end in the mold of a Mark Bavarro throwback type player... 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Posted by prob2236

HE ALREADY IS. However, purely on the receiving side, Hernandez is the next great Dallas Clark type TE (Keller is perhaps a poor man's Hernandez).

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts