Is Hightower All That?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Is Hightower All That?

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You listed his tackle total as a great accomplishment, are you now saying his tackle totals weren't anything great because of Spikes?

[/QUOTE]

The middle linebacker or a safety should lead your team in tackles every year.  Hightower covering downfield is terribly unfair to him and not conducive to him racking up tackle totals.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I think we can all agree that a LBer combo of Mayo Hightower and Collins is about as dynamic as can be. Very excited to watch this group and hope they all stay healthy! 

[object HTMLDivElement]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

You listed his tackle total as a great accomplishment, are you now saying his tackle totals weren't anything great because of Spikes?

[/QUOTE]

The middle linebacker or a safety should lead your team in tackles every year.  Hightower covering downfield is terribly unfair to him and not conducive to him racking up tackle totals.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well I'm sorry he had to "cover down field", but sooner or later the other team passes the ball and football players have to cover for it. I think he played a bit inside too and prior to Mayo going down he wasn't used in that capacity as much - then when Spikes was slowed with injury he took over some of those duties as well. I agree middle backers or the safety is going to be leading the team in tackles, however take a look at who was second in tackles on our team...Steve Gregory...hopefully anyone will tackle more than that guy.

So I hope Hightower takes over for Spikes and is every bit the player he was - or more - but I think that is far from a guarantee based off what I saw last year. I think he'll need to improve...will he? I think so, but again, that is no guarantee.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

Yeah, well I'm sorry he had to "cover down field", but sooner or later the other team passes the ball and football players have to cover for it. I think he played a bit inside too and prior to Mayo going down he wasn't used in that capacity as much - then when Spikes was slowed with injury he took over some of those duties as well. I agree middle backers or the safety is going to be leading the team in tackles, however take a look at who was second in tackles on our team...Steve Gregory...hopefully anyone will tackle more than that guy.

So I hope Hightower takes over for Spikes and is every bit the player he was - or more - but I think that is far from a guarantee based off what I saw last year. I think he'll need to improve...will he? I think so, but again, that is no guarantee.

[/QUOTE]

Spikes while a good player is somewhat overblown, he started 14 games once and never had 100+ tackles.  While he was very good in zone coverage, he was useless in man coverage, he attacked the line of scrimmage but didn't make many plays up the middle.  I think Hightower brings the same thump as Spikes but in a much larger, more athletic body, health provided.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I think more of Hightower than most here seem to. He is not a speed merchant. He is more like a McGinest in that he is a big body with strength and instincts (yes, I know some here will question that last remark but when you look at his film in college it is very clear... here he is trying to learn to play within the BB system - and that speaks even more to his long term value). He can certainly play inside but he can also play outside in a 3-4 like McGinest.

He wont be a stand out in pass coverage. He wont be Collins. BUt Collings wont be Hightower. It will be great to have both of them as they bring different talents.

Hightower wont be a human highlight real except to coaches who can see the value of guys who, like Vinny, make the job of the players around him easier.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

I think more of Hightower than most here seem to. He is not a speed merchant. He is more like a McGinest in that he is a big body with strength and instincts (yes, I know some here will question that last remark but when you look at his film in college it is very clear... here he is trying to learn to play within the BB system - and that speaks even more to his long term value). He can certainly play inside but he can also play outside in a 3-4 like McGinest.

He wont be a stand out in pass coverage. He wont be Collins. BUt Collings wont be Hightower. It will be great to have both of them as they bring different talents.

Hightower wont be a human highlight real except to coaches who can see the value of guys who, like Vinny, make the job of the players around him easier.

I'd liken him more to an athletic Ted Johnson, but like you said they could also play him on the edge akin to Vrabel and move Mayo inside for more speed.

Sections
Shortcuts