is it just me, but i LOVE the approach we are taking in the DRAFT!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Re: is it just me, but i LOVE the approach we are taking in the DRAFT!

In response to BostonProSportsLover's comment:

been saying for years, the win doesnt always go to the tallest, biggest, most talented, most powerful or the fastest.. but thats the way to bet at some point! we've reached that point. nothing against the eldelman and woodhead grinders but its a question of quantity. one or 2 troy browns is good, when u start having 8 or 9, thats when u get into trouble. we need someone to cover the tightends and backs, rather than going for the gutsy and scrappy undersized and slow guy who may take great angles, we start the equation to the solution with a guy actually already fast and big in one jamie collins... "At 6-foot-3 and 250 pounds, Collins is considered a top athlete by analysts. He had 10 sacks in his final season at Southern Mississippi and is also viewed to be strong in coverage. Collins, also has a 41.5-inch vertical leap"... enough said for me!

sounds like chandler and hightower to a degree (prototype middle linebacker).. yeah he could play inside and elsewhere in the sub but the BOTTOM line is that this is a real edge rusher. u never know about heart and desire and attrition but point blank.. we b talking TALENT here.. period! u need to satrt there at some point, and take a flyer on character.. see how it goes. seems to me bb has sometimes been afraid to face this simple reality like a Doc Rivers.. without the troops, all your Xs and Os will come up short, perhaps 2 SBs short!

ditto with one aaron dobson. projected as a 3rd Wideout type and bla bla. could care less abvout that esp when u have guys projected so low they dont even get drafted... what are his tools?  ok, has the uncoachable 6'2 frame.. check! fast enough to run QUICK flanker routes.. check! guess burners that can catch and fight for the ball do not grow on trees. guess this means jenkins will likely make the team over the 6'0 jones. if its just about speed, slaughter would b an all-world flanker by now. he does enough for us right now. seems faster than lloyd. fast enough. great project.

the rutgers duo is classic belichick in overdrive. he loves the philosophy and approach there. not necessarily about superior talent but coherence. so many times we have simply been lost out there. figure these guys will b eating together and bonding. with the newbies they already have a communication track record with similar dynamics and terminology. add in big bro mccourty and thats an easy transition. within 2 years, they could all b starting back there. bad news for dowling. see all of them making the team.

if chandler makes a huge leap and without middle class depth, we could b in there all year. in the future with things are top heavy, i would hope we would finally prioritize some really top level elite talent. for now, good enough. i see us making one more big time move on D before the season starts by way of a trade. perhaps abraham walks thru those doors as well or lloyd. team has tons of options and tons of competiton for pre-season. love what we've done and what we have from 1-90! 

no it's just you

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

no it's just you

And me.

I like it so far. Harmon was a head scratcher, but I have decided he is there to learn from A.Wilson for a year or maybe two at which point A Wilson is gone.

I think Abraham or Lloyd are possible, but only at very low numbers. I think BB is pretty much done - maybe a OL or DL project with the pick early tomorrow or a double dip receiver, and the rest is camp bodies to compete for back end of the roster spots.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

an organization can do whatever they want when they have Tom Brady. Let's see what happens when Brady retires and they draft like this. There's a HUGE advantage of having Tom Brady!Am I the only one that fears the way the Pats draft when Brady retires?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In response to rickrand3's comment:

an organization can do whatever they want when they have Tom Brady. Let's see what happens when Brady retires and they draft like this. There's a HUGE advantage of having Tom Brady!Am I the only one that fears the way the Pats draft when Brady retires?

Yes (well no, but maybe the only sane one (you are sane aren't you?)

The Brady factor - all success in coaching and GM duties is because of TB.

But the guy in Balt is brilliant (even though he has a $21M QB so maybe the QB had something to do with his success. Oh yeah, and he could have signed the guy a year earlier for $4M less per year - nice gamble)

For years the guy in Indi was brilliant (and that had nothing to do with Peyton?)

The guy in Pitts is brilliant (and nothing to do with Big Ben) Oh yeah - not sure how brilliant he looks this year.

The guy in GB is brilliant (Farve/Rogers anyone?)

That new guy in Denver? (Peyton again?)

Seems to me that all the brilliant GMs have great QBs during their periods of brilliance - and BB has been more consistent in results for a longer time than just about anyone else you care to mention. Even during a year when he did not have his brilliant QB, but a scrub replacement.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I can't complain, but I won't stand up and give BB an ovation. The first 3 picks I am totally cool with and think we shot a WR just as good as anyone we could of had after we traded our first pick.  We addressed needs and added depth. Time will tell, I can't remember how many times fans have been excited over sexy picks only to watch them become busts in 2-4 years. 

Last year was sexy draft picks and trading up, BB went conservative this year. I can't wait to see them in camp, then we all can have an honest early assessment of our new picks.

Dont forget we will save some cap space by going with these type of picks versus high end sexy picks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Well, the more I see BB's picks the more I am getting a feel for what he looks for in a player.

I believe he really values what coaching a player has had. It matters not if the player is refined yet, BB sees them, I think, as in the 3rd of 4th year of a 6 year program. It seems he sees them as clay with which to mold into something that fits the scheme, attitude and role of each player. Ever notice how players who leave the Patriots for supposed greener pastures never quite pan out in another system? 

I like this approach as the OP states. I tend to think other teams see players they draft as near complete players. BB does not see it that way. Your taking a young kid and expecting them to do a 180 and digest the Patriots playbook and then perform in your expected role to a "T". Ocho Cinqo couldn't so it. A few players have come here after years of NFL experience and just can't jell here. 

BB has made a system completely based around him and his strategies. In drafting players he wants them to be able to understand it. Some do, some don't. Some veterans do, some don't. 

While I love the approach to the draft, it's so much more than that. Belichick's football mind is astonishing really. He sees it all in 3D compared to others. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In response to mrbungle's comment:

Well, the more I see BB's picks the more I am getting a feel for what he looks for in a player.

I believe he really values what coaching a player has had. It matters not if the player is refined yet, BB sees them, I think, as in the 3rd of 4th year of a 6 year program. It seems he sees them as clay with which to mold into something that fits the scheme, attitude and role of each player. Ever notice how players who leave the Patriots for supposed greener pastures never quite pan out in another system? 

I like this approach as the OP states. I tend to think other teams see players they draft as near complete players. BB does not see it that way. Your taking a young kid and expecting them to do a 180 and digest the Patriots playbook and then perform in your expected role to a "T". Ocho Cinqo couldn't so it. A few players have come here after years of NFL experience and just can't jell here. 

BB has made a system completely based around him and his strategies. In drafting players he wants them to be able to understand it. Some do, some don't. Some veterans do, some don't. 

While I love the approach to the draft, it's so much more than that. Belichick's football mind is astonishing really. He sees it all in 3D compared to others. 

Great post.

I also think he values the 'Intangeables' grade higher than most other coaches. He wants intelligent players (IQ but more football IQ), he wants film freaks (the guys that enjoy spending hours watching film), and he wants solid citizens. It is no surprise that he drafts a higher percentage of college team captains than anybody else.

Not saying a guy like Dennard or Hernandez will not get drafted, but it only happens a number of rounds later than their talent would normally get drafted. And it isn't habitual - one off mistakes happen to everyone and especially to college kids. 

If you are trying to figure out which of a group of pretty equally rated players BB will pick - check the intangeables. I think that is one reason Dobson was the WR we ended up with. Fans all had their personal favorite but the skills were all pretty similar - Dobson had the strongest intangeables to go with the skills.

9. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts