Is it just me or ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPAT. Show SANPAT's posts

Is it just me or ...

Is it just me or our playcallig was totally unpredictable?  I remember last couple of years under bobrian third down meant look for welker.  I for one was happy to see some diversification.  It will really help the offense in playofffs and critical moments.

Welcome back JMcD

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Is it just me or ...

Adding Lloyd changes everything. Just like adding Ocho was supposed to last season. Wes in a contract limbo also changes everything.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Adding Lloyd changes everything. Just like adding Ocho was supposed to last season. Wes in a contract limbo also changes everything.

Or perhaps it could have been that the Pats were a threat to run the ball on all 3 downs?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPAT. Show SANPAT's posts

Yes Ridley showedup big time.  I hope to see more of the same from him and hopefully vereen as well.  Lately looks like woodhead has lost his spring or something...is the jig up with him or what? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Or perhaps it could have been that the Pats were a threat to run the ball on all 3 downs?

[/QUOTE]

I don't think the team's potential for running on a given down had much to do with Welker getting targeted or not.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPAT. Show SANPAT's posts

It will be interesting to see if early in the game the run ge doesnt work.  Will they abandone it soon or stick with it?  Also i dont remember seeing screens or end arounds etc.  hopefully they can  unveil it when its needed or when it matters...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Message to the rest of the NFL..  "You won't know what we are going to do.  We may be pass happy or run happy!  Try and figure us out!". 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think the team's potential for running on a given down had much to do with Welker getting targeted or not.

[/QUOTE]

I think the OPs post was referencing the unpredictability of the O now and not Welker. Since you put it on Lloyd as the difference I was commenting back that I feel it had more to do with the run game on all 3 downs then Lloyd. I did not comment on Welker

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yes, play calling was noticeably more varied (especially in the first half--second half it was a bit more predictable/conventional, I thought, but that isn't surprising since we were trying to maintain a lead rather than build it in the second half).

In addition, the new weapons make a difference.  

1. Ridley is far more explosive than BJGE and that makes a heavier use of the run possible.  BJGE wasn't going to break a big gain and defenses knew that, so they didn't worry that much about him.  Same with Woodhead.  Ridley forces them to be prepared for the run because if they're caught sleeping (or focusing mostly on the pass), Ridley can burn them. 

2. Lloyd adds a whole new dimension to the passing game we just didn't have last year.  You can't ignore him, which means safeties can't just key on the short middle zones where the TEs and Welker work best.  Branch just wasn't scaring guys like Lloyd can.  

Also, the defense helped.  It was clear by the second half that the Titans were going to struggle to score.  This allowed a bit more ball control and running.  The improvements in the defense complement an offensive strategy that relies more on the run.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out.  The offense actually scored less than they did in the opener last year (5 TDs, 1 FG last year vs. 3 TDs and 2 FGs yesterday).  but they seemed to execute well early and slow down late as the game was in control.  (Last year, the Pats never let up, in part, I believe, because BJGE wasn't as effective as Ridley and in part because the defense never looked fully in control).  

The offense had a whole different feel yesterday.  It's still new, so maybe it will look less unpredictable after we've seen it for a few games, but for now it really seemed more dynamic.  I think that's part a reflection of the new OC and part a reflection of the new talent.  I also think the better D helps the O.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to SANPAT's comment:

Is it just me or our playcallig was totally unpredictable?  I remember last couple of years under bobrian third down meant look for welker.  I for one was happy to see some diversification.  It will really help the offense in playofffs and critical moments.

Welcome back JMcD

Night and day. Guys here will protect their argument that OB was fine and personnel and apparently supreme talent at each skill position is the only thing that matters to executing an efficient offense.

The rest of us will recognize the instant impact that McD has already had.

Here is a thought. If Lloyd wasn't on this team yesterday, would it be possible that WW would have had his 6 catches for 60 yards? I think so. Lloyd is a good receiver with great hands, but he doesn't make this offense. It is proper timing of play calls, formations, keeping the defense guessing....a great OC is and will be the difference from the last 3 years to now.

31 passes to 35 rushes. I would be willing to bet it is the 1st time we ran more then threw in maybe 3 years.

Welcome back McD. Help BB and Brady win a 4rth SB!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

After week one, minus tonights games, the Patriot's rank #1 in running first downs.  With the threat of Brady under center, you would have to be a complete moron not to run... or Bill O'Brien.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Night and day. Guys here will protect their argument that OB was fine and personnel and apparently supreme talent at each skill position is the only thing that matters to executing an efficient offense

Sorry, but the main difference is personel.
    The infusion of the rookies on D and their nefound ability to get off the field is making all the difference.  Not to mention a back that can put up 6ypc.  Ask BB.
    Does McD run 35 times with BJGE or if the D can't get off the field?

OB just did not have the kind of talent or diversity that the Pats have now.(despite a 2nd ranked O) 
    He had a injured lead back and 2 rookies without the benefit of preseason.  He had no one to stretch the field or work the lines.  Ocho was supposed to be that guy but it didn't work out.
    McD has the luxury of a much more diverse O and an (so far) effecient D.
    You cannot ignore these facts.  It makes all the difference in the world.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

A solid running game made this team less predictable. One efect of that is to take at least some passes away from Welker as he often represents "safe" passes that you might employ when you have some trouble running. Also, Gronk and Hern are such big targets that Welker gets less unless the D decides to overcompensate their coverage of TEs. If they try to jam the running game Welker will benefit but likely not as much as Lloyd. Another factor will simply be weaknesses of that games opponent.

Lloyd does add more dimension to the passing game and so makes even passing downs harder to defend as the areas are opened that much more.

But the more we can run the more difficult it is for a D because you can't just pretend it isnt Tom Brady back there.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Stevan Ridely was on this team last year, so was a pretty good workhorse back in Law Firm, the OLine was better because it was the same as this year only with Waters and Light added. 

The Pats proved they could run the season before last when Law Firm ran for over 1000 yards; Tommy had his most efficient season under O'Brien in 2010 not coincidentally

They proved it again last season after an embarrassing loss to the Bills where they surrendered a big lead in the 2nd half by forcing the pass, Tommy threw more picks in that game than he did the entire previous season when they leaned on Law Firm. The next game Law Firm and Ridely teamed up and crushed the Raiders with an overwhelming run game.

What has changed this year is philosophy, scheming, playcalling and the insistence of McDaniels to reintroduce a fullback to the roster as well as a heavy, talented TightEnd corps. 

We've never been short on talent, just coaching talent where we absorb losses every off-season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

It is definitely nice to have OC who is not affraid to stick with what is working and let his run game better set up the passing game. Lloyd is going to make defenses think twice about double teaming anyone. You can't double team one of Welker/Lloyd/Gronk/Hern because the other three will burn you all day long!

Can't wait till Vereen is healthy and our other TE's get up to speed because McD will have some really amazing wrinkles for this offense. it was nice to see the screen run once or twice.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Remember this was only Titans

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Two things changed things yesterday...Lloyd and a running back that could get out of his own way. I hope they all stay healthy because the "Wes Welker all the time" offense doesn't cut it against real good defenses.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Stevan Ridely was on this team last year, so was a pretty good workhorse back in Law Firm, the OLine was better because it was the same as this year only with Waters and Light added. 

The Pats proved they could run the season before last when Law Firm ran for over 1000 yards; Tommy had his most efficient season under O'Brien in 2010 not coincidentally

They proved it again last season after an embarrassing loss to the Bills where they surrendered a big lead in the 2nd half by forcing the pass, Tommy threw more picks in that game than he did the entire previous season when they leaned on Law Firm. The next game Law Firm and Ridely teamed up and crushed the Raiders with an overwhelming run game.

What has changed this year is philosophy, scheming, playcalling and the insistence of McDaniels to reintroduce a fullback to the roster as well as a heavy, talented TightEnd corps. 

We've never been short on talent, just coaching talent where we absorb losses every off-season.

[/QUOTEAre you really this stubborn and one-sighted?
    Repeat Repeat Repeat........
    BJGE was injured more than half the year and when he did come back he was less than good.
    Ridley was a 1st year rook with no pre-season, could not help with blitz pick-up and developed a case of fumbleitis at the end.
    Vareen was hurt 9/10th of the season.
    That left Woody.
    The D sucked and the O was  nearly always playing from behind or nursing a short lead when the said D was giving up scores 50% of the time and never effectively got off the field.
    The play calling was limited due to the poor D, the lack of a good back, no deep threat and the circumstance of TB having to throw to secure a lead.  They were still the second best O in the league in spite of all this.
    Every stat, injury report, ....whatever...supports this.
    BB himself said they had production problems ( lack of talent) and yet they went to the SB and lost by 4 measly points despite being on the field for only 22 minutes.
    That took coaching, whether you want to admit it or not.  You act like they had the worst O in the NFL because they didn't run as much as YOU would have liked. 
    Have you put in your resume for BB's job yet? 

This from Bru. today.  Note the biggest difference in the SB years.  
    angel from fl [via mobile]

First I wanted to say thank you for the way you played the game you are my favorite patriot of all time. The way the Patriots played Sunday reminded me of the 3 in 4 year championship heyday. I know its one game but did you see any similarity?

Tedy (2:10 PM)

Thank you Angel. When we won championships, there was one similar characteristic to all those defenses -- big plays that resulted in points. Sometimes just turnovers, sometimes scoring on defense. That's exactly what this defense did on opening day. If they can keep this up, they're on their way.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

After week one, minus tonights games, the Patriot's rank #1 in running first downs.  With the threat of Brady under center, you would have to be a complete moron not to run... or Bill O'Brien.

LoL

[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

JM or TB are not too proud to win, if they are getting 6 ypc they are going to keep running the rock.  They look commited to be a physical team upfront.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts