Is it officially OK to call Patrick Chung a Bust now?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Is it officially OK to call Patrick Chung a Bust now?

Just wondering.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Is it officially OK to call Patrick Chung a Bust now?

He's a bust and Merriweather was a boob. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

look! up in the sky!

it's a bird!

it's a plane!

no it's...

rusty coming to attack the entire premise of this thread b/c bellichick NEVER drafts a bust!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Not the worst BUST... but a bust... 100%

i really liked him, had lots of hope...

i think he´s gonna be around the nfl for a long time, but not in a TOP team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

No - he was not a bust. He started a whole bunch of games, played pretty well when healthy and got snapped up pretty quickly be another team. Just because Pats went another way, not sure you can label a player a bust.

Is BJGE a bust? Played out his rookie deal and wasn't resigned.

A bust is a first rounder who never starts, a second rounder who never plays, and a third rounder who gets cut.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Not sure I'd call him a bust.  He gave the Pats 4 productive if unspectacular years. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

I think he really fell off the cliff in 2012. Here are his stats with the Patriots:

http://www.patriots.com/team/roster/Patrick-Chung/6127d947-cf4c-480b-97ca-b75b54aba2d4

I think he was good in 2010, and then declined. I had high hopes for him back then, and thought he would solidify our DB group. Do you guys remember the Miami game back in '10?

So, it's not like he didnt' contribute at any time, but he started to fade in '11, and was mostly a non-factor last year.

DMC and A. Wilson > Chung and Gregory - I hope.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

He couldn't cover the pass.  Ever. I'd assume they knew that going into it.  Good luck to him in Philly   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Not a bust, he was a starter and played out his rook contract. But, he wasn't a very good pick in the least. Really except for Vollmer (who was taken with their orginal pick) that year will be the one where people will continually question the trading back method as we gave up on Oher and Matthews (they were picked in the spots we traded out on) and missed out on Davis, Nicks, Delmas then got instead Chung, Butler, Brace. Sometimes moving back works and sometimes it ends in a horrible car crash.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

never the same (good player) once Rodney left

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

look! up in the sky!

it's a bird!

it's a plane!

no it's...

rusty coming to attack the entire premise of this thread b/c bellichick NEVER drafts a bust!

great avatar.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Injury played a large part in Chung's demise, undersized strong safeties don't last long without a lot of luck and when they breakdown, it happens fast.  The guy played like a missile and missiles blow up.  He was great in 2010, got injured in 11' and hasn't been the same since, either he takes some HGH, bulks up (Laron Landry?) and lasts a little longer or he washes out in a year or less...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I think the injuries did him in.  I agree that he was not always very good in coverage, but he was solid/above averge in run support before the injuries piled up, and he played STs.  Bust might be too harsh.  Disappointing maybe.  To-mato to-mah-to.   

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Seriously, I look at Chung as a guy who was a "disappointment" not a "bust."  As a high second round pick, you would expect him to develop into a solid starter.  Instead, he ended up as a marginal starter or back-up player.  Given where he was picked, he would have had to have been bottom of the roster material to be truly a bust and he was better than that.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

It's a free country, you can call him whatever you want, might want to tone it down in his presence though.  Anyway, what does it matter?

Call Brady a bust if you like. I think Obama is a bust (unless anybody on here works for the IRS, in which case he's the best ever).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Nope, he wasn't a bust.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

It's a free country, you can call him whatever you want, might want to tone it down in his presence though.  Anyway, what does it matter?

Call Brady a bust if you like. I think Obama is a bust (unless anybody on here works for the IRS, in which case he's the best ever).

kind of like GW Bush was a bust (unless you like stealing elections and premeditated, immoral and unnecessary wars that bankrupt your country while making sure your 1% billionaire buddies rake in the profits)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to fatsam72's comment:

In response to 42AND46's comment:

look! up in the sky!

it's a bird!

it's a plane!

no it's...

great avatar.

thank you kind sir!

my tribute to a fellow poster here  :  )

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Chung's team racked up a 49-15 record over his four seasons.  I would be extremely careful when calling any starter on a team with such a record a bust, just as I would be suspicious of the genius label for any starter on a 15-49 team.  It could be that Chung simply did what coach wanted and it usually won the game.

In particular, Chung played prevent defense whenever the team was 21 points ahead in the fourth quarter.  Other teams scored most of their points in the fourth quarter precisely because the Patriots were all out playing center field, so the other teams typically threw short and killed their own clock.  Also, the Pats were racking up a wonderful number of turnovers and QB hits all of the time that they were giving up yards on the opponent's side of the 50 yard line, but the Patriot defense got tougher just outside of field goal range. 

The Patriots usually let good players walk.  They only re-sign great players.