Is it play calling or lack of execution??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Is it play calling or lack of execution??

All week long I have seen many posts complaining about OC OBrian and the second half issues the Patriots' offense seem to have lately.  So, I ask, is this bad play calling or simply a lack of execution?  Let's discuss..

First off, no one here complained about the first half of the Jets game, right? Nor the Bengals game.  But, the second half?  All this week complaints about bad play calling.  So, let me thrown in a what if - If the plays that were called in the second half were executed properly and worked, would we still be complaining?  I think not.  Seems some here infer the coaches are calling for plays which they must be thinking would not work?  If so, why call them?  I presume the team has practiced these plays and are confident they are the right ones to call at that time, so, if it is not the call, it's the execution.  I think everyone here would agree, if each play called were executed properly, passed balls caught, not over or under thrown, run blocks blocked etc..  we wouldn't say "boo"!

Seems when the team is firing on all cylinders, no one complains about the calls, but, when things aren't going well, everyone complains about the play calling!  Which is it?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Re: Is it play calling or lack of execution??

I think I agree with you.  However, to be clear, I think its a lack of execution.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In Response to Re: Is it play calling or lack of execution??:
    [QUOTE]Way to steal my thread man lol I have a thread right now called "I blame Brady" where we have been debating this very subject for 3 days now. But since you brought it up it is 100% not the coaching, its the execution. In some games it might be the play calling been in the Jets game it was all execution the coaching was good enough to win that game.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

His headline is asking a question that is open for discussion. Yours is stating your opinion "I blame Brady". I read the headline and thought oh good for you but I didn't bother to open it. So maybe he didn't open your thread either so he didn't know he "was stealing your thread". Please forgive him, I'm sure it was a mistake.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I don't think it comes down solely to execution. I think it is a combination of strategy and execution.

Assuming you agree that the Pats have had 2nd half woes going back to 2009 or earlier, this would give us roughly 19 games to look at (16 last year, 1 playoff game last year, 2 games this year). A majority of those games, the Pats did not perform as well as they did in the 2nd half compared to the 1st half. (See statistics to back up). If it was just execution, how could a team just drop off completely in the 2nd half in games and do so consistently? Wouldn't we see more drop off or slow starts in 1st halves as well, and possibly some better 2nd halves than 1st halves? It would seem that we would have a mixed bag of results between 1st and 2nd halves, not a consistent trend one way or the other.

To me, the drop off in 2nd half performance is a direct result of 2 things;
    1. Lack of effective in game adjustments, half-time adjustments (strategy)
    2. Lack of execution as you detail above (both offense and defense)

So, it comes down to players and coaches I think. Both are not working as effectively as needed to win 2nd halves. Or perhaps we just don't have the personnel to execute adjustments made by the coaches and Brady. It's a hard problem to figure out. But, this is one man's perspective on it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Execution. In no league is coaching more significant than in the NFL but at the end of the day, it still comes down to players executing the plays coaches put in play.

Anyone else also consider that the offensive playbook isn't as open as it could be in November considering the younger players we have on offense?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

MVP... sorry to steal your thunder..  just saw so many posts about "play calling" and not enough about the team's accountability to execute the game plan properly.  I am certain, referring to Brady, he's made those passes dozens of times...  this time, the cards didn't fall for the Pats that day!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Patslifer....   how about this thought, or rather, word...   "complacency"?  The team executed so well in the first half of many games that when it came to the second half they believed all they had to do was the same as the first half without many adjustments.  Also, the thought they could tunr it back on at any time?  That is the ruin of many teams when their opponent is already ramped up and playing much better, having made the adjustments, the other team just can't get it back in gear.  The momentum has shifted all the way in which the team has grabbed hold of a loss from the jaws of victory!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]Way to steal my thread man lol I have a thread right now called "I blame Brady" where we have been debating this very subject for 3 days now. But since you brought it up it is 100% not the coaching, its the execution. In some games it might be the play calling been in the Jets game it was all execution the coaching was good enough to win that game.

Absurd and highly egoistical.

I blame Brady is the reason why I didn't open the thread.  More diatribe.  Be careful on how you address a thread and this would not happen.  Oh yeah, lol.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rick8795. Show Rick8795's posts

Only two games into the season mistakes will be many. Time, and practice will iron out a lot of the execution issues. When receivers outrun a pass or make a cut too early thats going to take practice to eliminate. I'm excited to see how all these parts begin to gel.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Well MVP's thread certainly has covered this subject but I will throw this out there to the poster.

If we were successful in the 1st half and a complete failure in the 2nd half, where do you think lies the problem? The Jets almost stopped blitzing in the 2nd half.  3-4 rushers with an occasional 5th. Completely different then what they did in the 1st.  We ran the same plays over and over. Now of course execution comes into play but I would argue it is execution of having 3 rookies as receiving options Gronk,AH,Tate(pretty much a rookie after missing last year). They have minimal time with Brady to develop proper route running and there all important QB-WR timing issues. This is my argument to MVP that I think Brady is the last person to be blamed but clearly everybody is at fault.

I also think Wozzy's post about tale of 2 halves is key. I think we script the first series or 2 of plays to take the pressure off the young guys. Later on we rely on them to be in the right place and as with all rookies that is not going to happen. Growing Pains as N.E GAME has said. I think this is why we suffer in second halfs. Young guys or in last years case NO guys in the passing game and a coaching staff which lacks coordinator experience. BB can't be in 2 places at once and we lack half time adjustments.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

It was the sun in their eyes.  Plus they didn't have the Reebok pumps.  When you pump them up you can run like ten times faster.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Albie Breer actually pointed out something really great in the blog and probably his best post really.

He talked about how Brady at times will have to carry this young D and you know its true. We gotta move the ball on offense and it starts with Brady he had probably his worst second half performance ever. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Brady couldn't run the ball in the second half? Did he also drop passes? Did he also allow himself to get blind-side sacked one half second after the snap?

He didn't have his best game ever, but saying his execution is the difference is incorrect. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Zb, you seem like a smart guy and an intelligent poster. Why do you think they're crapping the bed in the second half? It's happened on several occasions in important games. It's as statistically significant as you can get with the small sample football provides us? Why isn't the O making plays? Isn't brady the QB? Isn't he a large part of that?

Also, I blame the O more than the D. They stopped the Jets during their first drive of the second half and looked good doing it. The offense comes on and goes three and out. That CANNOT happen.

[QUOTE]Brady couldn't run the ball in the second half? Did he also drop passes? Did he also allow himself to get blind-side sacked one half second after the snap? He didn't have his best game ever, but saying his execution is the difference is incorrect. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The problem isn't that they're playing bad the second half, it's that they're playing too good the first half.  They had a lead at some point in every loss last year. 

Hopefully they can get behind and stay behind the whole game, that should make some people here happy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Thanks killa. I think a lot of it has to do with the QB. People hate hearing that, but he's the leader of the offense and he hasn't led a 2nd half comeback in a while. Maybe I expect too much from him, but isn't it kind of weak to blame an OC when you have one of the best two qbs in the game? Brady a genius on the football field, yet we're blaming a second year OC? It doesn't add up for me. Bad OC chats almost always coincide with bad QBing. How many OC's did Bledsoe have?

In general, the Pats come out and play great then they slowly start crapping the bed on O. The Miami game (@ Miami) is probably the best example. Last week was similar. They come out, run the ball and pass the ball well (anyone remember the 39 yard run that was called back?), then they go towards a heaving the ball to Moss strategy. W T F?!? Brady ultimately throws the passes, so blame has to go in his direction. 

I really hope they get this issue fixed, bc this team has some serious talent.

[QUOTE]RockDog you are a smart guy you should be able to figure this out lol I think that over all its a coaching issue, but in the jets game I think it was an execution issue but like i said over all I think BB needs to get himself a real OC like he had in Weis and McDanials.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Poor Judgment.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

"Why do we see it and OB doesn't?"

.......or BB or TB.  Maybe, just maybe, football people arn't as intelligent as we like to give them credit for.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

execution will only work I the right play calling is done, end of story. The second half of the Jets game seemed like the offensive game plan was partially abandoned and I blame Brady or getting a hard on with Moss just because Revis is out of the game. a QB of his caliber shouldn't make those mistakes.

Brady should take over, at least, 50% of the play calling on offense.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

It's both, but maybe 70% coaching in the second half of both games played so far. Ergo, the Coaches did a real good job in the first halves of both games, but coached panicky and flatfooted in the second halves. Brady can move the ball...he has many weapons...the Jets aren't that good unless you just listen to Rex or ESPN. And on D, that prevent defense thing is a DISASTER...has been for several years now. Young, athletic players need to attack, not fall back. I blame BB for that and it must stop. Bill, and only Bill, owns the D.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Great questions, and I have no answers. It frustrating that we see the problem well but can't do anything about it. Some mechanism in the offense isn't working. 

Moss pretty much goes deep every play (for real or as a decoy), so I don't blame OB for Brady hucking it deep to Moss too much. I blame Brady for that. Maybe it's up to the OC to call plays where Brady disregards Moss and passes to the open guy? I'd love to see Tate and Edelman in the open field with the ball more...

[QUOTE]Guys, I did say it's never one thing and I really believe it's a combination of things and not just OB. With that said how is it the execution is solid in the first half of games and not the second? I think defenses are making adjustments throughout the game and the Pats (OB) just isn't seeing them or doesn't call plays to exploit them. Everyone on this thread said the same thing last week in the third quarter, why are they throwing deep with 3 rushing? How about this? With Revis out and Cromartie on Moss wouldn't Cromartie be their #1 back at that point? Why wouldn't you throw opposite Moss? Why do we see it and OB doesn't?
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]"Why do we see it and OB doesn't?" .......or BB or TB.  Maybe, just maybe, football people arn't as intelligent as we like to give them credit for.
    Posted by Tcal2[/QUOTE]
    Maybe we're not as intelligent as we give ourselves credit for.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]When the Jets dropped out of the blitz crazy send everyone D they had in the first half why didn't we shorten up the field and go for clock control? Why didn't we run it more with 3 or 4 rushing? IMO it's never one thing over another but when the defense makes a serious adjustment you have two choices, adjust to the adjustment or play into it and unfortunately I think they did the latter. I'm just not convinced OB is the guy. These threads sound like a lot last year and I remember people wanted him hog tied, thrown in a burlap sack with an angry wolverine and then dumped in the Charles.

While I don't only blame Obrien I think you have agreed with what I have been pushing to the point of exhaustion. I don't want to go into more specifics but your opening statement sums up what I think is the problem.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Guys, I did say it's never one thing and I really believe it's a combination of things and not just OB. With that said how is it the execution is solid in the first half of games and not the second? I think defenses are making adjustments throughout the game and the Pats (OB) just isn't seeing them or doesn't call plays to exploit them. Everyone on this thread said the same thing last week in the third quarter, why are they throwing deep with 3 rushing? How about this? With Revis out and Cromartie on Moss wouldn't Cromartie be their #1 back at that point? Why wouldn't you throw opposite Moss? Why do we see it and OB doesn't?

Thanks again Sam. It is a great question. has Brady suddenly been unable to make the same throws he made in the 2st halves? Or has some other variable come into play?

Sections
Shortcuts