Is it play calling or lack of execution??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Is it play calling or lack of execution??

In Response to Re: Is it play calling or lack of execution??:
    Execution in my opinion is the thing that matters most. You can make people look like heroes if you execute it. Happens every year, a team with talent executes really well, the coordinator gets praised and moves on to bigger and better things and falls flat on his face. 
    Posted by mthurl

You know what else happens almost every year, coordinators get promoted and become SB winning head coaches. Don't take my word for it just look at the last 2 SB winning coaches.  Most teams have great talent but dont always win, usually only teams that are well coached execute and win on a consistent basis.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrtm70. Show mrtm70's posts

I read most of the topic but didn't feel like commenting until I came across this interesting peice over at the Herald:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/20100926trent_dilfer_patriots_attack_went_off_track/

I don't care too much for Dilfer (like some others here) but he makes a great point that goes in line with this topic...basically saying that BOTH Randy & especially Brady was to blame in the second half.  He states that Brady keeps looking for Welker & then Moss in his progressions (like on the sack by Jason Taylor) & that needs to change to Welker to Hernendez (Hernandez was wide open on the sack) & just because teams put Randy one-on-one Brady needs to be aware of how defenses (like the Jets did in the second half) know that when Randy is one-on-one BRady looks to strike only to Randy.

Oh...I forgot to mention that one thing I definetly noticed during the first Patriots offensive drive in the second half...the body language form the offense was like they no longer had to put full effort in, like the game was won.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Its play calling AND lack of execution.  I can tell what they are going to call.  They run very predictable, and the short screens can be seen coming from a mile away.  I watched part of a Kansas game, and even though Cassel isn't getting it done, Charlie Weis is still a GREAT play caller.  We need to fix this.  Maybe execution is rotten because the other team always knows what we are doing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Is it play calling or lack of execution??:
    I read most of the post but didn't feel like commenting until I came across this interesting peice over at the Herald: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/20100926trent_dilfer_patriots_attack_went_off_track/
    Posted by mrtm70

That's a really good article. Thanks for pointing it out.  What we started to see last year and are still seeing this year is that teams don't fear Moss like they used to and are willing to cover him one-on-one and dare Brady to throw to him.  This is exactly what happens on the Cromartie interception.  The safety who is defending the right side (where Welker and Moss are) breaks toward Welker before Brady throws.  This triggers Brady to throw deep to Moss--and I think the Jets are betting that most of the time they can win that match-up.  Don't get me wrong--I still love Moss--but he's not the dominant receiver he once was.  We need Tate or Price to step up to give us a more threatening deep game; and we need to start spreading the ball (as Dilfer recommends) to our TEs and other short receivers besides Welker.  Right now, it's too easy for teams to double Welker and tempt Brady to go to Moss. Moss will win occasionally (as he did with his touchdown), but teams are starting to think that the odds are generally with them when Brady goes deep to Moss.  

Sections
Shortcuts