Is it possible the Pats deliberatley tanked the Ravens' game to avoid the new final-8 F/A rule?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Re: Is it possible the Pats deliberatley tanked the Ravens' game to avoid the new final-8 F/A rule?

Here's a government conspiracy to discredit government conspiracy theories:

http://rawstory.com/2010/01/obama-staffer-infiltration-911-groups/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Re: Is it possible the Pats deliberatley tanked the Ravens' game to avoid the new final-8 F/A rule?

But what about the corporate conspiracy to discredit the government conspiracy to discredit conspiracy theories, LOL.   Seriously though, no politicks.  I didn't even open it after reading the HTTP. Thanks.

Anyway, like I wrote previously, I absolutely foresee teams folding first round if this rule stays around long enough.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

"As of now, they are one of the lowest committed cash teams for 2010 in the NFL. They will be able to spend freely if they chose because their roster is not loaded with many high-priced players."

Anybody know of a good list of over-payed but underperforming, decent quality players that other teams might drop for financial reasons?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Hopefully this rule doesn't last long, and we get a salary cap. It's one of the biggest reasons the NFL is so fun to watch. Any given Sunday, as they say.

Who wants to watch the Yankees beat up on the Royals when there's only 16 games in a football season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

haha - aaaah, NO.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Love this.  The mere implication of it is...(at a loss for words).   

This board was apoplectic (particularly Texas Pat and Enoch Root) over the colts choosing health as the better path to the superbowl (which may not happen) over the pursuit of perfection.  This was the colts preogative, and the final goal (superbowl) was the reason for their decision.  But the board went crazy with claims of the colts being wimps, lacking integrity, etc. 

But this??  Well this rises to a level never ever ever considered.  Tank a playoff game.  Wow.  Throw in the towel of the pursuit of the ONLY thing that matters each season in the NFL.  For what, the future?   The cliche meaning of NFL is Not For Long.  A season is a lifetime and a new one begins each year.  Talk about a lack of integrity.  The only thing with less intergity than doing something like this would be...well...cheating. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Hey UNDEROO, it is a new level based on a new rule never seen before, the final-8 rule.  No other team had ever had the incentive to do this until this year. I think it is naive to expect that teams will not do this in the future.  There is a definite incentive to do so, just like there is an incentive for losing teams to continue to lose at season's end to secure the #1 pick in the draft order.  How many teams have we seen intentionally lose regular season games?  Too many to count.  In case you missed it on this thread, I bring up as example the Colts tanking it week 17 of 2007 against the Titans so as to improve their post-season schedule.  So don't go all high-and-mighty here.  The Colts have thrown away more games this past decade than any other team, bar none.  On that we can all agree.

If you want to talk about cheating, let's talk about piped sound.  That's black and white cheating.  No grey area there, is there?

As for the Colts sitting when they could have reached the pinnacle, no comparison.  They had history within their grasp.  (And I dare you to cite where I condemned the Colts for taking that path, other than this reference, because I never did, troll.)

Nobody expected the Pats to go deep this year, certainly not you.  The odds of them winning the SB as of last week were around 25:1 in Vegas. They were not going to win a fourth SB in this decade, so they were not missing on history.  So maybe this was the pragmatic thing to do. Remember, this is the coach who directed Lonnie Paxton to snap the ball through the end zone for a safety to gain a bigger advantage later in the game. It worked.  And guess what - before the play happened, I thought in my mind that taking an intentional safety was something they should do at that time.  Maybe I am not all that bad at this insight stuff.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

A coaching staff could very easily tank a game by preparing a game plan that wont possibly work or plays to the strengths of it's opponent.   Having watched the game, screaming loudly at the TV I thought "they are playing this game like they want to lose."  It was that bad...

That being said, I really don't think so.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukebusy. Show lukebusy's posts

I think Grady Little was coaching the team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Just found this on another thread. VERY germain:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-morning-news-Pats-loss-was-a-good-thing.html

Wow, that is an awesome story.  Now I am really psyched for this off-season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

I must admit, the same thought crossed my pea brain. Maybe they intentionally didn't rush the passer, and let Brady get harrassed, and didn't establish a runnining game.........hey wait a minute.........maybe they intentionally tanked seven games this year! Just enough to avoid the second seed! That explains the 4th and 2! That Bill, the man is a genius! Way ahead of us. he'll probably throw every game next year to get two top ten picks in 2011 what with the rookie cap and all. My admiration grows by the day.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeachRooster. Show BeachRooster's posts

KG, as I understand, play-off success does not play into the draft order.  The draft order is only based on the regular season, so Arizona got better draft positon last year than all the other post-season teams, save for maybe San Diego, even though Arizona was in the SB.  That is, unless I am mistaken.

Chris aka Woody for what it is worth, Arizona drafted second to last in 2009 for making the SB

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Woodster - Don't care if something never existed before.  There is truly only one goal for every team in the NFL and that is the goal of winning the superbowl.  This goal is not a realistic goal for all teams as some simply are not good enough to even think they can get to the playoffs. 

But for a team like the patriots, who were a preseason favorite to win it all, to possibly throw a playoff game so that they may simply participate in free agency is the worst of all scenarios. 

Teams have been sitting starters in meaningless games for years in order to be healthy for the playoffs.  No team, to my knowledge, has ever before thrown a playoff game.  Donaghey must be in awe.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

They got their a$$es kicked plain and simple

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Love this.  The mere implication of it is...(at a loss for words).    

This board was apoplectic (particularly Texas Pat and Enoch Root) over the colts choosing health as the better path to the superbowl (which may not happen) over the pursuit of perfection.  This was the colts preogative, and the final goal (superbowl) was the reason for their decision.  But the board went crazy with claims of the colts being wimps, lacking integrity, etc.  

But this??  Well this rises to a level never ever ever considered.  Tank a playoff game.  Wow.  Throw in the towel of the pursuit of the ONLY thing that matters each season in the NFL.  For what, the future?   The cliche meaning of NFL is Not For Long.  A season is a lifetime and a new one begins each year.  Talk about a lack of integrity.  The only thing with less intergity than doing something like this would be...well...cheating. 

Hmm, another reason why you never be more than you are. Yet another example from you about lacking integrity and, unfortunately, it does not rise above other things you have done before. It quite actually hangs right along with all your posts.

You are actually comparing an odd posted thought from a random poster to the actuality of the colts actions. 
    And beyond that, you are assuming it is true and making judgments on it. 
    And even beyond that, these are the same judgments you refused to make about the colts a few weeks ago saying that you have no opinion (even after writing an opinion, but that is another thing.)

So, you seem to have very strong opinions on things that didn't happen if that is something that is a mark against the Patriots yet you have no opinion on something that actually did happen especially because it reflected badly on your beloved colts.

Have you no sense of integrity at all, sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of integrity?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

As I pointed out, MVP, no team has ever had an incentive to throw a play-off game prior to this new rule (unless of course, something like gambling is involved, but that is a whole other thing).  This is the first time in the NFL that a team could benefit from losing in the play-offs.  Who knows, if I am right, maybe this plan was only conceived after Welker went down. 

Going to the post-season but not winning it all is probably less than novel for this team. For other teams, it is a victory of sorts, win or lose.  So they had different priorities than the other 11 teams.  The Pats and there fans want to win SBs.

Selling tickets is not a problem for the Pats, like it is for other teams (i.e. San Diego).  But rebuilding in this uncapped era is - if they make the final 8. BB must realize this team needs more overhauling, like he did to the secondary last year.  Making the final 8 would have greatly hamstrung him. And as I have already written here twice before, does anybody doubt that it is only a matter of time before a team tanks the first round under this idiotic rule?  The conditions would have to be right - the dire need to rebuild, solid existant fan attendance, a gutsy manager - but some day some team will do it, you watch.  FYI, I am one of the guys who predicted back in late September that the Pats would not go beyond the first round if they even made the play-offs, and I caught all kinds of incredulous sounding "band wagon jumper" h#ll for it. With the Pats, you have to think outside the box, to use a tired cliche'.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Root - my opinion is that if people like you are apoplectic over the colts decision to get starters healthy for a playoff run in meaningless games, how do you square your feelings with the possibility that the pats may have tanked a playoff game just to get to the free agent market? 

In addition, it is humorous that you were constant in your attempts to bait with the colts story, but now that a pats fan has posted a question that others have validated and which, if true, would make the pats look dreadful in comparison, you no longer bait, but infer that I am a troll.  What a baby.  You like to dish it out, but you sure don't like to take it, do ya fella?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Tas - I don't know if what the colts did was throwing a game.  It infers that the players who played did not try their best, and I believe they did.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Root - my opinion is that if people like you are apoplectic over the colts decision to get starters healthy for a playoff run in meaningless games, how do you square your feelings with the possibility that the pats may have tanked a playoff game just to get to the free agent market? 

Well, one that isn't an opinion. It is a question. I really wish you were smarter. 

Two, as I said before, you are trying to draw comparisons to what actually happened (the colts urinating on themselves in the face of history) and what obviously didn't happen. In the case of the actual, I know the colts wussed out. It turns out a lot of others know that, too. As the rest of what you are asking about didn't happen, that is really all I can say about it - it didn't happen. 

Are you going to stop this now or are you going to continue being an sfb for quite possibly the rest of your life?

Oh, by the way, I am not apoplectic about it. As usual, you are missing the point. I know the colts pussed. You seem to be confusing "apoplectic" with "crapping on you". You see, you are one of those excuse makers. You know, someone who makes apologies for everything the colts do. It is fun to bug the stuff out of you because I know that you know that they pussed out but can't admit it or you would lose your status as #1 excuse maker and might not be allowed in line to clean Manning's golf balls at his golf outing. Which will likely be next Tuesday.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Tas - I don't know if what the colts did was throwing a game.  It infers that the players who played did not try their best, and I believe they did.

Wrong. They did throw the game. While you are right in that those in the game likely gave their best, you are wrong because the colts had better players than those in the game. They did not use their best resources to win. It is called a "lay down".

Understand, I have no issue with teams resting their starters for the playoffs (unless of course it is for an undefeated season), but no one can say that the team gave their best when they kept their better players on the bench.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Wait - what have you done with MVP? When did MVP ever preface calling anyone a P*ssy with "no offense". First the Jets in the playoffs and now this? The world doesn't make sense anymore.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

The sky is falling MVP is being nice

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I'll give this thread one more day before it evolves into a thread entirely devoted to the Colts, Dungy, religion, abortion, and the general meaning of life.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Belichick to his players:  You guys suuck too bad to win a Super Bowl so I need you to tank this game so I can replace you guys with players who are way better.

Players:  Yeah, you're right we have no chance, we'll play terrible so you can replace us with better people.

25. This post has been removed.