Is it too much for me to expect close to a perfect season?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: Is it too much for me to expect close to a perfect season?

All teams have weaknesses in this division.  With the exception of Buffalo all have reason to be optimistic.

Miami - Cause for concerns: Lost their LB's.  Defensive backfield young and introducing youth to the DL.  Only have one WR.  I don't see how Henne can be a big time QB with the tools he presently has.
              Cause for high expectations:  Had a good draft to fill the holes and still have that running game.
               Overall: The defense is suspect and the offense will misfire at times.  Teams will defend against Miami like they did against New England last year.  Fill the box and double team the primary WR.

NYJets - Cause for concerns: Running game took a step backwards.  Ducasse fills a huge void that I don't think he can fill.  Injuries to Sanchez shows that people are getting to the QB.
                Cause for optimism: Great defense although the sack total is somewhat of a surprise to me.  Sanchez enters his 2nd year.
                Overall: The Jets will probably copy last years record or something close to it because it's basically the same team.  Great defense and so-so offense.

The Pats - Cause for concerns:  Pass rush, young defense and RB situation.
                   Cause for optimism: Good draft that filled a lot of holes.  Fixed the TE and WR spots that killed us last year.  McCourty and Spikes are huge pick ups for the Pats.  
                Overall: The offense should be more stable but the defense is going to be on a learning curve.  Getting to the QB is still a major issue.  Run defense should be solid.

The schedule for this division is about the same so losses should come pretty often.  It's no secret that the rivalries between these 3 teams are special and make for great games period.  Winning inside the division will be more important than usual because the outside schedule is just crazy tough.  All teams should have guarded optimism going into the season.  NE defense, Miami defense and the Jets offense will have to wait until mid-season to see what they really have.  If you don't have a pass rush by mid-season chance are you won't for the remainder of the season.  That's going to hurt.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: Is it too much for me to expect close to a perfect season?:
    Indy at home (finally!) should be a good game and hope it does not come down to 4th and 2 in the final seconds....
    Posted by Patriots1970

Don't we get the next 3 gamesvs. Indy at home?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Titletown, there is no way Bob Kraft, Tom Brady, Bill Belichick or the thousands of people who paid good money to see vengeance sit back and allow the Pats to lose to the Ravens. There is NO WAY!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

gary, miami losing taylor and porter is a plus at their age...and picking up karlos dansby as well as the depth they added with the draft as a bit of an upgrade, if not a huge improvement with mike nolan as the defensive coordinator

and while i do agree miami is still weak at WR overall, marshall is still a big-time player and didnt have a ton surrounding him in denver as far as other threats go, plus devon bess is pretty good, camarillo is average, meh...but hartline is worth watching and if he could turn into a poor man's joe jurevicis, then the WR corps is ok by me

but to ignore the run blocking ability and better than average pass blocking ability along with ronnie, ricky and co. is overlooking what makes the offense go

i agree that the secondary is shaky...but yeramiah bell is pretty good and vontae davis and sean smith showed flashes of their ability last year and i like their potential

i think the division race will be very close and a 10-6 year for the pats, jets and phins would be within the realm of possibility with splits of the series all the way around...the records wont be entirely indicative of the talent each roster has

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

Despite what some may think, the Pats don't have a solid running game.  Without a strong backfield no way can anyone say the Pats have any shot at a perfect season.  My expectations for this NE team would be no better than 10-6 or 11-5.  The only solid addition to this Pats team was Tory Holt, otherwise their pretty much the same team with unproven rookies..   Maroney is very average, faulk is not an every down back.  Morris and Taylor are injury prone.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

I think this team being infused with youth and a lot of rookies (including injured guys who really haven't played much) probably is going to need 5 or 6 games to get into the flow and become a dominating team. The beginning schedule looks decent though and we might come out okay in those games but I'm thinking we go 3-2 to start the year. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

gary, miami losing taylor and porter is a plus at their age...and picking up karlos dansby as well as the depth they added with the draft as a bit of an upgrade, if not a huge improvement with mike nolan as the defensive coordinator and while i do agree miami is still weak at WR overall, marshall is still a big-time player and didnt have a ton surrounding him in denver as far as other threats go, plus devon bess is pretty good, camarillo is average, meh...but hartline is worth watching and if he could turn into a poor man's joe jurevicis, then the WR corps is ok by me but to ignore the run blocking ability and better than average pass blocking ability along with ronnie, ricky and co. is overlooking what makes the offense go i agree that the secondary is shaky...but yeramiah bell is pretty good and vontae davis and sean smith showed flashes of their ability last year and i like their potential i think the division race will be very close and a 10-6 year for the pats, jets and phins would be within the realm of possibility with splits of the series all the way around...the records wont be entirely indicative of the talent each roster has
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0

I agree on you with Taylor and Porter.  The addition of Dansby is huge.  The 'fins draft was good.  You have the same problem NE has in that youth, although promising, is still youth.  Sometimes that big name you drafted is the stud you've been looking for.  Other times it's what the hell happened?  Also, if you read further I recommended that all three teams have reasons to be excited but it should be guarded until mid-season when you truly know what you have out there.

On the 'fins offense Marshall will command attention as Moss does.  I have to admit that I don't know that much about Miami's WRs and there you perhaps have me.  On the other hand I can't remember one or can remember a WR torching us like Welker use to.  Doesn't that mean something?  As a NE fan I'm high on Brandon Tate.  But does he scare you?  Most likely not.  This is just to give you an idea of where I was trying to come from on all fronts.  I did mention Miami's running game.  It's my fault for not expressing it a bit more because I think everyone on this forum knows that by default.  You play against Miami and that's the #1 concern.

Thanks Jimmy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

15-1

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

15-1
    Posted by Tcal2

Do you think we're going to go 15-0 and then tank the last game of the season to rest up for the playoffs?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapi61. Show BigPapi61's posts

Do I think 15-1 is ambitious? Yep! Do I think it's possible? Hell yes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Welker's running routes today. 

Judging by who's on the field today, both Spikes and Hernandez are apparently going to be like first round starters in September.  Spikes wants to be the defense's leader.  They both just fell through the 2010 NFL draft to the Patriots.

I'll continue with 14-2.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

even having welker healthy doesnt help the pass rush and defense in general and i still fully expect the pats to PuP welker just to make sure that knee is ok...im sticking with 10-6

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

even having welker healthy doesnt help the pass rush ...
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0

Banta-Cain was a highly regarded 10 sack guy last year.  Burgess was picking up steam as the season wore on.  Crable is good and realistically, he's healthy now.  Spikes is half a step quick to the ball these days and may rush/drop back ahead of Cunningham, who has the physical tools and comes from a Patriots-style offense in Florida. 

All of a sudden we have a crowd of sack artists putting up a fight.  Someone is going to win the camp competition, and the top backup could probably start elsewhere.  I expect that the only Patriots' pass rush problems will be various imaginary ones starting right now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Is it too much for me to expect close to a perfect season? : Banta-Cain was a highly regarded 10 sack guy last year.  Burgess was picking up steam as the season wore on.  Crable is good and realistically, he's healthy now.  Spikes is half a step quick to the ball these days and may rush/drop back ahead of Cunningham, who has the physical tools and comes from a Patriots-style offense in Florida.  All of a sudden we have a crowd of sack artists putting up a fight.  Someone is going to win the camp competition, and the top backup could probably start elsewhere.  I expect that the only Patriots' pass rush problems will be various imaginary ones starting right now.
    Posted by Paul_K

see i dont know, to me, it seems as if banta cain had his career year last year...because he is a bit older and only put it together last year? i dont mean to knock the guy's talent...but i think depending on him to be your # 1 pass rusher is a scary proposition

i dont know enough abot crable either way to say anything of use, so i wont...but his injury history has be very concerning(as would ronnie brown's since i figure its only a matter of time before someone used that argument on me)

i cant see spikes being in the game in known passing situations very often...he just isnt fast enough for it...

and if the pats arent going to get a pass rush, you better hope that offense can put up 35 on everyone

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Try not aproaching the season with expectations.  You might enjoy the season more.  The bottom line: the team must be healthy and clicking 2-3 before the tournament; ready to go from there.  Hopefully, they will use the time productively well along the way.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Is it too much for me to expect close to a perfect season?:
    Just looking over the schedule... Cincinnati - Win @New York - Win Buffalo - Win @Miami - Tough win BYE Baltimore - Win @San Diego - Good win Minnesota - Win @Cleveland - Win @Pittsburgh - Good win Indianapolis - Win? @Detroit - Win New York - Close win? @Chicago - Win Green Bay - Upsetting loss @Buffalo - Win Miami - Unfulfilling loss Hey, would you be surprised with 14-2 record?
    Posted by Brendon-Patrick

I'd see 14-2 as very optimistic given this schedule and 12-4 is more realistic. Detroit, buffalo and maybe Cleveland are the only cupcakes on the schedule. That leaves 13 weeks worth of very tough games. Both jets games will be World Wars and Miami won't be far behind on the intensity scale. At least the colts are coming here this year. That's going to be the game of the year!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

All Dreamers-- no leader on the D,  D improvements?? on paper. Still no pass rush, additions? draft choices, 2nd year players, still unproven, lb and secondary ???, no name D line additions.  O, a year older O line, ball carriers, and WOs. And the schedule includes 8 teams with great O's and qbs. San Diego, Pittsburgh, Cinci, Ravens, Vikings, Bears, Colts and Packers. All will be a test to the Pat D. Break even against them would be a success. 5 and 3 against the other 8, 9-7 season, also a success considering, plus BB's vanilla, no surprise O. BB in the twilight of a great career. Way too many questions that cannot be answered until the games are for real.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

[b]Try not aproaching the season with expectations.  You might enjoy the season more.[/b]  The bottom line: the team must be healthy and clicking 2-3 before the tournament; ready to go from there.  Hopefully, they will use the time productively well along the way.
    Posted by BTownExpress

Thanks for reminding me, this is something everyone should be told.