Is it too much for me to expect close to a perfect season?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

Is it too much for me to expect close to a perfect season?

Just looking over the schedule...

Cincinnati - Win
    @New York - Win
    Buffalo - Win
    @Miami - Tough win
    BYE
    Baltimore - Win
    @San Diego - Good win
    Minnesota - Win
    @Cleveland - Win
    @Pittsburgh - Good win
    Indianapolis - Win?
    @Detroit - Win
    New York - Close win?
    @Chicago - Win
    Green Bay - Upsetting loss
    @Buffalo - Win
    Miami - Unfulfilling loss

Hey, would you be surprised with 14-2 record?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapi61. Show BigPapi61's posts

Re: Is it too much for me to expect close to a perfect season?

Nope, I'm on board.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ONE-TIME. Show ONE-TIME's posts

I actually have big expectations for this year , while I see most on here and everywhere else see this as a " rebuilding " year. I say " retooling " and that wont be the reason we win or lose. I really believe that we have enough of a corp group of guys and enough talent to make a seious run. If we do end up going 12-4 or 13-3 then theres no reason we shouldnt be considered a serious contender , especially w/ that schedule.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

A young defense and a tough schedule aren't a real good combo.  The pass rush hasn't been fixed yet.  I'll stay guarded on this and hope for the best.  Although the home/away works out pretty well for us.  Getting Green Bay, Minnesota and Indy at home gives us a fighting chance. 

Belichick will be in a coaching zone this year as he'll be required to coach a lot of these players up.  This team is pretty young so it should be a physical camp.  We'll see. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapi61. Show BigPapi61's posts

I know they are older, but every time I say Randy Moss lining up across from Tory Holt with Tom Brady throwing to them....I have to smile. IMHO this is going to be a kicka$$ season. The guys we drafted step up on defense, and dynasty part two is ready to roll. YUP I said it Jerry, now get off my forum.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I don't expect a near perfect season but I can easily see them with a 12-4 record during the regular season and I could see them competing for the Lombardi..The only reason why I don't see more regular season wins is the infusion of youth on defense. Big Papi 61,I love Tory Holt opposite Moss and I too think that they are both like fine wine,getting better with age. In Tory's case he must feel like he died and went to WR heaven! Not only is he in an offense with arguably one of the finest QB to ever play the game in Tom Terrific but he also will be blessed not to have to carry the load for a whole season,his relief receiver will arrive after week six! I am even more excited about Crumpler,Gronkowski and Hernandez as for the first time in Tom's career he will have more options out of the TE position then ever before,everyone seems to be thinking Crumpler will be just a blocking TE.I have a different opinion as I think he went and got into H-back shape like he was in his early days with Atlanta,so don't be surprised if Crumpler catches more passes this season than all of the TE's who were on the team last year combined. Yes the rookies will be exciting to watch but count out Alge Crumpler TE possessed...Now if only Maroney loses his dancing shoes this will be an offense worth watching in it's entirity..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I expect to win the division, but us to go 11-5.  Still too much youth learning at key spots.  Until the people step up and some rookies start to help the team, we will struggle against the better team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

What I like about this schedule is we get all the top teams from last year at home (Indy, Green Bay, Minnesota, and Baltimore). Our toughest two road games are probably San Diego (can see finishing first but very beatable) and Pittsburgh (a team Tom Brady has owned throughout his career). Dolphins IMO will provide us our best competition within the division, I like the fact we get the Jets early again in NY, I really think the Pats will win that game, and then the next time we face them in Foxboro this team is going to have extra rest coming off the Thanksgiving game so a probable sweep there. The Bills are the Bills so not worried there. If this team plays really well at home against the big boys of the NFL this team could end up 15-1 or 14-2. This season really depends on a lot of young guys stepping up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

I think we will split w the Jersey Jests. Baltimore, even after the bye week, will be a tough tough battle now that they have Boldin. Minnesota concerns me as well with their big defensive line and improvement in the passing game w the WRs (even w/wout Farve...)

Indy at home (finally!) should be a good game and hope it does not come down to 4th and 2 in the final seconds....

So the Pats could easily be 11-5, whereas some analysts think it the Pats will be 10-6 or at worst 8-8.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I've previously predicted a 14-2 record. 

Furthermore, I agree with you that Green Bay is quite underestimated.  My "how well have you done lately" point-differential power rankings have GB up at #4.  GB is a home game, though.

A good team punting its final game of the season is also pretty true to form.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: Is it too much for me to expect close to a perfect season?:
    A young defense and a tough schedule aren't a real good combo.  The pass rush hasn't been fixed yet.  I'll stay guarded on this and hope for the best.  Although the home/away works out pretty well for us.  Getting Green Bay, Minnesota and Indy at home gives us a fighting chance.  Belichick will be in a coaching zone this year as he'll be required to coach a lot of these players up.  This team is pretty young so it should be a physical camp.  We'll see. 
    Posted by garytx

Well said.  I think pre-draft - I thought the Patriots would be 10-6...mebbe 11-5. As long as they improve over the season and make the playoffs...they'll be fun to watch.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

we lose to San Diego and Pittsburgh, thats it

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Not at all! WE should expect them to go out there and win every game.  This is how the Pats approach every week.   I know the chances of it happening are tough for sure, but why not!  If we can get as close as perfect as possible - maybe just we'll find ourselves back in the big game -taking SB #4.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Probably overly optimistic but if you're going to be a fan you may as well be fanatical.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

Haha good point. ^

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

I'm a fan too but your expectations of 14-2 with no pash rush, a leaky line line, aging running backs, new rookie tight ends and against this schedule are way out there!
    For me being a fan means understanding the game, the team, coaching strategy, the competition from the other 31 teams and team preparation.  The exciting part is gaining the knowledge, not engaging in fantasy that is not grounded in what happening on the field and in coaching sessions.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I'm a fan too but your expectations of 14-2 with no pash rush, a leaky line line, aging running backs, new rookie tight ends and against this schedule are way out there! For me being a fan means understanding the game, the team, coaching strategy, the competition from the other 31 teams and team preparation.  The exciting part is gaining the knowledge, not engaging in fantasy that is not grounded in what happening on the field and in coaching sessions.
    Posted by NYC

Good point but I always like to go in being overly optimistic and let reality beat me down to the points you just outlined above. You make a lot of sense and ultimately, I'm the same way but I can't say that I didn't dream about a perfect season in 2008 (I thought, "boy, it'd be nice to rebound from 18-1 to finish 19-0 the following year). Reality hit that year, and it hit before I even know what to do with it, so then my goal was to just win the Super Bowl with Cassel at the helm. When Brady came back last year, I expected perfection again just because I thought, "Brady's coming back healthy with the same offense; he, Moss and Welker have had two years under their belts together, etc." Obviously, the glaring weaknesses on the team brought me back down to Earth.

I would love to see nothing more than a 19-0 season but I'm also realistic to know that things will play far from that, which is ok. Ultimately, I just want Brady to finish with 5-6 rings.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from timsandra. Show timsandra's posts

In Response to Is it too much for me to expect close to a perfect season?:
    Just looking over the schedule... Cincinnati - Win @New York - Loss Buffalo - Win @Miami - Tough win BYE Baltimore - Loss @San Diego - Loss Minnesota - Win @Cleveland - Win @Pittsburgh - Good win Indianapolis - Loss @Detroit - Win New York -  Loss    @Chicago - Win Green Bay - win @Buffalo - Win Miami - win Hey, would you be surprised with 14-2 record?
    Posted by Brendon-Patrick

more realistic results above. i think it may take a few weeks early to get a good cohesive unit. 11-5 on a roll going into playoffs. thoughts?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

overly optimistic, given we have not seen the players on the field. i guess any fan can be that optimistic. some fan over in nj may be thinking the same thing.

i am guessing 12-4.

i think though that if there's no lockout in 2011, and a rookie salary cap is put in place so that bb changes his drafting philosophy, then you could expect that the pats' record then will be better than in 2010. then i think they could come really close to a perfect season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

i think a 10-6 record with this team would be quite a feat

and the lack of a pass rush will be their un-doing

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

Aren't you in a for a rude awakening. I would have argued Miami doing 10-6 and getting a wildcard would be quite the feat. Chad Henne is not better than Tom Brady no matter how many times you say that in your head. You talk about me being irrational?  Come again?
    Posted by russgriswold

And i wouldnt have argued for the phins having that record in a thread about the pats approaching a hypothetical perfect season

but i think 10-6 is quite doable for the phins since you mentioned it crusty

but you will have to qoute for me where i have ever said that chad henne is better than tom brady, because im quite sure...that its just not there chief

and irrational? that would assume that you ever thought logically...which you clearly havent...anything else tiger? or are you going back to worship at your BB throne and lick the toe jam he had back in the 01' superbowl for your taste of untainted victory

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

14-2 against this level of competition would mean that the Pats are the clear cut team to beat in the Playoffs. I have them at 13-3 because I can see them splitting their series' with the Jets and 'Phins. I also have them losing against Greenbay because Bay is a better New England Patriot team.

SB would be a rematch between future QB12 of the Packers vs. HOF QB12 of the Pats. Belichick doesn't lose to the same team twice. Brady gets ring 4. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

Wow!  You got me there!  How do I ever try to come back with that little nugget you just dropped on the table??! Whoa. You specifically stated Henne will ascend to an upper eschelon QB this season. This is a QB driven league.  Let's it put it this way: If NE is "lucky" to do 10-6 with Tom Brady, what is Miami doing with Chad Henne? 11-5?  12-4? Please enlighten us. Brady is going to lead this team to 10-6, BARE MINIMUM.
    Posted by russgriswold

i said if henne has a good year, he could move himself into the TOP 5 QB's of the AFC(brady, manning, rivers, palmer, schaub)...i dont know, call me crazy but he could definitely end up with a better career than the last two guys i mentioned but i dont think what im saying is a terribly un-reasonable prediction

and what was the pats record this past season? were they lucky to get that far? damn right they were, unless you think the pats pummeled the bills on opening night this past year

and hey, with the way your offensive line has aged, the lack of a real running back and not some greek myth of the dreaded 4 headed running back, and the lack of a pass rush will keep your defense on the field for longer stretches...brady will be lucky to play in all 16...which means you better pray hoyer is half as good as cassell

anything else chief?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from paddypatriot83. Show paddypatriot83's posts

In response to the general question - yes.

The breakdown at the start seems overly optimistic as I do not see the team running 9-0 / 10-0 to begin the season, with the incorporation of some rookies in important places as think the team will need some time to gel.

However, is it too much to hope for a successful SB season? - I think no.

I can see this team gelling and hopefully getting on a 9-0 / 10-0 run to finish the season - not 'expecting', but same is viable and would be hopeful for it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Cincinnati - Win
    @New York - Loss
    Buffalo - Win
    @Miami - Win
    BYE
    Baltimore - Loss
    @San Diego - Loss
    Minnesota - Win
    @Cleveland - Win
    @Pittsburgh -Win
    Indianapolis - Win
    @Detroit - Win
    New York - Win
    @Chicago - Win
    Green Bay - Win
    @Buffalo - Win
    Miami - Loss (unless they feel like winning)

12-4 (1st in AFC East, Lose in AFC Championship Game)