Is it worth it to spend the picks to go get Larry Fitzgerald?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevinm32. Show kevinm32's posts

Is it worth it to spend the picks to go get Larry Fitzgerald?

I would prefer drafting a DE and OLB...but Fitzy is a game changer.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: Is it worth it to spend the picks to go get Larry Fitzgerald?

That he is!  He would come at a step price and I don't know if I'm willing to do that.  If the Pats didn't have so many missing pieces I would say go for it without question but we do have needs.  At this point I would have to say no.  The timing is just not right.

What good is it to bring in a stud and still have short comings on defense?  Even Fitz has games when things don't go right or where Brady gets rushed.  The team has to be built up right in order to have success.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In Response to Is it worth it to spend the picks to go get Larry Fitzgerald?:
    [QUOTE]I would prefer drafting a DE and OLB...but Fitzy is a game changer.
    Posted by kevinm32[/QUOTE]

He is a game changer, but he'd also be a salary cap changer, and you just can't put that much money in a WR when you have more pressing holes to fill. If we were solid on O-Line and defensive front-7, and still had cap room, maybe.  But we're not.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prophet76. Show Prophet76's posts

The guy wants premier QB money... There have been 8 million threads on the site about this and for the 8 millionth time I will say NO! 

The D gave up 28 against the Jets because they didn't have a pass rush... Remember when the Pats would win playoff games by putting 21 on the board and not have to put up 30 to win??? They need beast DL, OLB, and OL in this draft or via trade much more than a wideout and this upcoming draft is a good one for all of the positions of need. Playoff games are won and lost in the trenches and the Pats haven't had stout trenches in the last 3 playoff games. No protection for Brady in 07. Rice ran all over them last year, and this year Sanchez stayed clean. 

If the offense needs anything, it needs game breaking power back to complement Brady.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

In Response to Re: Is it worth it to spend the picks to go get Larry Fitzgerald?:
    [QUOTE]The guy wants premier QB money... There have been 8 million threads on the site about this and for the 8 millionth time I will say NO!  The D gave up 28 against the Jets because they didn't have a pass rush... Remember when the Pats would win playoff games by putting 21 on the board and not have to put up 30 to win??? They need beast DL, OLB, and OL in this draft or via trade much more than a wideout and this upcoming draft is a good one for all of the positions of need. Playoff games are won and lost in the trenches and the Pats haven't had stout trenches in the last 3 playoff games. No protection for Brady in 07. Rice ran all over them last year, and this year Sanchez stayed clean.  If the offense needs anything, it needs game breaking power back to complement Brady.  
    Posted by Prophet76[/QUOTE]

have to agree. The only positions I would not mind drafting in the first 3 rounds are OL and RB.

DL, OL, OLB, DL,  or some order therof in the first 2 rounds and then
    RB, WR in the third would be my preference

but BB stopped seeking my counsel recently !!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

It depends how many picks we have to give up. But he would take 2 DB's with him wherever he went. That would open up the middle of the field for Welker and Branch. The Jets wouldn't be able to clog the middle of the field with the success they had. Revis would need the safety over the top to help out with Fitzgerald. Defensive coordinators would have nightmares gameplanning for that offense. But it would never happen too much money and too many picks to give up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prophet76. Show Prophet76's posts

In Response to Re: Is it worth it to spend the picks to go get Larry Fitzgerald?:
    [QUOTE]It depends how many picks we have to give up. But he would take 2 DB's with him wherever he went. That would open up the middle of the field for Welker and Branch. The Jets wouldn't be able to clog the middle of the field with the success they had. Revis would need the safety over the top to help out with Fitzgerald. Defensive coordinators would have nightmares gameplanning for that offense. But it would never happen too much money and too many picks to give up.
    Posted by dfitzp[/QUOTE]

It really doesn't matter if he takes two DB's... Moss took two DB's with him in SB42 and Brady didn't have the time to get him the ball because he was getting knocked to the turf. In order for this team to win in the playoffs it needs more attitude... not more finesse. The Pats had finesse this year and in 07. Stout trenches on both noses of the ball is the only thing that's going to get them some playoff success.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

How much of a game changer has he been for Arizona since they lost the Super Bowl?  One elite receiver does not a team make.  We have good receivers and if we need to add another, there are other options available that can be had for decidedly less money, say Donte Stallworth, who knows the system and would compliment the existing receiver corps.  I say no, let him go to Balitmore and disappear or better yet, to some NFC team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOT2REGRET. Show NOT2REGRET's posts

Id love to get him but it would take 2 first rouders for them to part w/ him. And hes up for a contract soon , are you willing to pay him 10 + for 5-6 years. I would much rather pay Woodley. Plus our O/D lines need help. But anyone w/ thinks we can win w/ these WR's is fooling themselves. If were going to keep them we need to upgrade our D , big time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

If I had to pick any reciever in the league to play for the Pats it's him but honestly there is no way he's not going make signifigant money because he's unquestionably a great player. Therefore he won't be a Patriot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wildwillis. Show Wildwillis's posts

I can't see it happening, I would like to snag him but I think Donte is just as dangerous he's got stones to go over the middle, and he fly down the field and make people miss. 
    A lot less money and they will save the picks in the early rounds for OLB and OL.   Just saying.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I'd rather have a pass rush with our picks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PerryM. Show PerryM's posts

As so many others have said, with the price tag for Fitz it would be too much for our needs. And as others have also said a WR like this goes to a team not close to playoff caliber as the Pats to sell tickets.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

In Response to Is it worth it to spend the picks to go get Larry Fitzgerald?:
    [QUOTE]I would prefer drafting a DE and OLB...but Fitzy is a game changer.
    Posted by kevinm32[/QUOTE]

Can we just sign players who fit the roles we need to fill.

A DE, not the best or the most expensive one but @ least a top ten talent in the league through the draft.

An OLB, one that came on late Tamba Hali

rebuild the OL in the draft
    rebuild @ RB through the draft
    Find a burner like DeSean Jackson, Jacoby Ford

This years find may be Jernel Jernigan of troy as he is a prime time burner.

@ the moment I think our roster is SO talented that we need quality role players to fill the gaps SO our current 1st, 2nd and 3rd year players can become the game changers.

For example; a 1st round draft stud @ DE, plus a FA pick up like Tamba Hali would make players such as McCourty, Spikes, Cunningham, Chung, and Mayo that much better... As we all know a DE and a pass rusher would help improve our secondary concerns on 3rd down. The DE would also help Mayo and Spikes in the middle. A good pass rusher on the left side would help cunningham on the right side. It is all relative.

I am convinced BB can draft, problem is he waited too long to draft well because he had so many vets on the team. He will not make that mistake again.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rxmsg. Show rxmsg's posts

While I wouldn't object to acquring Fitzgerald...it would certainly be fun watching him and Brady shred opponents...I still believe that DEEFENSE wins championships.
    It's tried and true philospphy.  I much more enjoy watching a dominate denfense over a domintae offeense.  An you must admit...a dominate defense usually will beat a dominate offense. As much as I despise the Jests I have to give their defense their due.  Could you imagine if the 2010 Pats had that defense? If we want to see more Lombardi's it's the defense that needs to dominate.  BB really needs to load up on talent on the defensive side of the ball for 2011...then look out.  Great Patriots Offensive teams have won squat for championships.  We need to concentrate on building a smash mouth take no prisoners opportunisitc defense. An that is exaclty what I think BB will do this off season. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from elmatador1225. Show elmatador1225's posts

We will need a WR, and how awesome would it be to have Fitzgerald.  That said, he is going to command a large salary.  I say let's get pass rusher, and an O-line, then look to a free agent WR.  Maybe Sidney Rice?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rxmsg. Show rxmsg's posts

Just wanted to add:  The 2010 Pats offense scored over 500 points...jumping Jesus !!!  I don't think we need to add very much there ...smother me with a ton of D baby !!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

I say go for it...

First round

#17.- DE

#28.- OLB

Second round

#33.- Trade down and get a 3rd rounder

#48 & #60 = LARRY FITZ !!!

Third Round.- Draft OG, RB and trade one away to next years 2nd

This way we could have a better defense with bodden, warren and the two first rounders at DE and OLB

The offense could be almost unstoppable:

Welker (healthier than this year)

Branch (able to rest more)

Fitz, Gronk, Hernandez  (tons of TD´s yards and catches)... 

Tate, Edelman and Pryce (improving and letting branch rest)...

Running backs

BJGE, Woody, round 3 rookie, Veteran FA & Clayton.

Oline: Light (very good year), Mankins (great year), Koppen (fair year), 3rd round rookie (+ this year rotation), vollmer

go pats !!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I agree that we should fill our most pressing needs first, which are clearly on the defensive side of the ball and the offensive line. While I don't want to be trigger-happy and get a vertical threat just because of the Jets game, we did score plenty of points with our "nobody's."

If Brady doesn't throw that pick and if Alge hangs on to that TD catch, we're looking at a 14-point lead and all of this vertical threat stuff is moot point.

I've still be advocating for Fitz but when I heard that he wanted Tom Brady like guaranteed money, I kissed that idea goodbye. Not worth it at that price.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]I say go for it... First round #17.- DE #28.- OLB Second round #33.- Trade down and get a 3rd rounder #48 & #60 = LARRY FITZ !!! Third Round.- Draft OG, RB and trade one away to next years 2nd This way we could have a better defense with bodden, warren and the two first rounders at DE and OLB The offense could be almost unstoppable: Welker (healthier than this year) Branch (able to rest more) Fitz, Gronk, Hernandez  (tons of TD´s yards and catches)...  Tate, Edelman and Pryce (improving and letting branch rest)... Running backs BJGE, Woody, round 3 rookie, Veteran FA & Clayton.   Oline: Light (very good year), Mankins (great year), Koppen (fair year), 3rd round rookie (+ this year rotation), vollmer   go pats !!!    
    Posted by auchhhhhhhhhhh[/QUOTE]

Why not trade the two 3rd rounders for DeMarcus Ware while we're at it?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prophet76. Show Prophet76's posts

[QUOTE]I say go for it... First round #17.- DE #28.- OLB Second round #33.- Trade down and get a 3rd rounder #48 & #60 = LARRY FITZ !!! Third Round.- Draft OG, RB and trade one away to next years 2nd This way we could have a better defense with bodden, warren and the two first rounders at DE and OLB The offense could be almost unstoppable: Welker (healthier than this year) Branch (able to rest more) Fitz, Gronk, Hernandez  (tons of TD´s yards and catches)...  Tate, Edelman and Pryce (improving and letting branch rest)... Running backs BJGE, Woody, round 3 rookie, Veteran FA & Clayton.   Oline: Light (very good year), Mankins (great year), Koppen (fair year), 3rd round rookie (+ this year rotation), vollmer   go pats !!!    
    Posted by auchhhhhhhhhhh[/QUOTE]

I'll smoke what you're smoking... two 2nd rounders for Fitz? If you really think two second rounders is enough to get that done then you're crazy!

PLUS THE GUY WANTS 10 MILLION PLUS A YEAR!!! STOP IT!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Depends. If Mankins leaves, no.  If he stays, it's something to consider.  Maybe 28 and a 3rd.

The reason why these guys don't have higher trade value is due to their price tags.

The 2  2nd rounder idea or a 1st and a higher 3rd are also not bad offers for a team that is rebuilding.

The question is, are the Cardinals in denial? Probably so.  Their owner blows and their GM is very questionable.

If Arizona was smart, they would unload him, keep Breaston and the Early Doucet and move on with it. Sign a cheap veteran FA WR and draft one early.

Some of the teams in weaker markets need the chip players like Fitzgerald to sell tickets.  This is what happened to Carolina and Peppers.

Everyone scoffed at 2 2nd rders or a 1st for Peppers, but now what does Carolina have?

Nothing.

If Arizona wants to put all that cash into one basket with holes everywhere else, that's a failed ideology.

They lost their QB and hence, lost their edge.  They are in rebuild mode and need to admit it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

I was thinking we could give all the Detroit Lion season ticket holders a BB Hoody for Calvin Johnson and call it day.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'd rather go after a 2nd tier guy like Steve Smith (NYG), assuming he'll be recovered from off season knee surgery.  He fits NE's offense well (good quicks, hands and RAC ability and runs solid routes) and would only cost money.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

maybe if we gave them out 1st and 2nd rounders for 2012. if we picked him up goodbye Tate