is it WRONG to be leaning against MARTIN?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Re: is it WRONG to be leaning against MARTIN?

What you suggest ignores the basic premises of Western civilization since the Magna Carta: the right of every individual to freedom and basic dignity.

The reason we have laws is so people are protected so they don't have to take matters into their own hands or respond back violently.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

The NFL is a private club, hence, if you don't like it you are free to go somewhere else. It's a hard locker room mentality, and has been from the beginning, with a group of players that can be rough around the edges. They all do it and many teams will even tell you TB himself is one of the biggest trash talkers during live action. Sure it's a rough way to make a living but if you’re a drama queen you picked the wrong way to make a living.

Martin could have simply said "this ain't for me" and moved on and left it behind. He's out to make a personal and political statement and intends to force the PC world into the private clubs that is the NFL.

If this is not his agenda then why is it he has kept all of the "evidence" regarding this "bullying" situation from day one as if he planned on building a case all along. He could have been learning the playbook, and how to be a better lineman, but he chose to build a "case" rather than accept the rookie treatment, become accepted, and move on.

This OMG PC mentality is why kids can't play dodge ball anymore and some little leagues don't keep score because losing hurts kids feelings.

The PC crowd is running amuck in this country and if it permeates the NFL then the game will be permanently harmed... and for what?

I know I have said I will leave my political views at the door here but I am making an exception here. Not trying to bruise feelings here but I’ve grown tired of some who say their views and beliefs trump what others believe to the point where they begin to control my life. I have no use for the thought police.

I suppose I have said enough.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I wouldn't want either of them on my team.

Incognito is a bad guy. I don't have a problem with locker room stuff, but he's basically extorting money from the guy.  

Martin, on the other hand, is a big baby. Handle your damn business, you're 6'5 300-something. Act like it. You get their respect, they'll leave you alone. I'd feel for him if he was a 185 lb punter, but he isn't.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

There are 51 other guys in that locker room that could have talked to incognito...they didn't.

It's a private club...to harsh for you...move on...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I would agree with the other posters on here but supposedly there were death threats. I grew up in the 60's and 70's and back then, if a white guy called you the N word and threatened your life, you were pretty much done for. Your family could be pretty much done for too. As for Martin being a big baby, I would say no he isn't. He removed himself from an abusive situation. He didn't call all the news agencies. He just left. He pretty much handled it like an intelligent, grown up adult should. 

I really can't see why anyone would defend Incognito. We had a guy in our unit that was like him. He picked on this one guy over and over and it got worse and worse. We eventually had to blanket party him. Needless to say we were glad to get rid of him because none of us could trust him to have our backs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Racial slurs, extortion and threats against his family goes a little beyond "rookie treatment."  These are federal crimes, since it carried across state lines.

It's ironic that the term "man up" used by so many in this situation is actually indicative of an incredibly childish attitude and world view.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

The NFL is a private club, hence, if you don't like it you are free to go somewhere else. It's a hard locker room mentality, and has been from the beginning, with a group of players that can be rough around the edges. They all do it and many teams will even tell you TB himself is one of the biggest trash talkers during live action. Sure it's a rough way to make a living but if you’re a drama queen you picked the wrong way to make a living.

Martin could have simply said "this ain't for me" and moved on and left it behind. He's out to make a personal and political statement and intends to force the PC world into the private clubs that is the NFL.

If this is not his agenda then why is it he has kept all of the "evidence" regarding this "bullying" situation from day one as if he planned on building a case all along. He could have been learning the playbook, and how to be a better lineman, but he chose to build a "case" rather than accept the rookie treatment, become accepted, and move on.

This OMG PC mentality is why kids can't play dodge ball anymore and some little leagues don't keep score because losing hurts kids feelings.

The PC crowd is running amuck in this country and if it permeates the NFL then the game will be permanently harmed... and for what?

I know I have said I will leave my political views at the door here but I am making an exception here. Not trying to bruise feelings here but I’ve grown tired of some who say their views and beliefs trump what others believe to the point where they begin to control my life. I have no use for the thought police.

People our age, assuming you are 50+, and our values, are losing relevance in this new age. We grew up believing in the school of hard knocks, with racism being acceptable for a period of our life, and with a philosophy of fierce self-reliance. Some of it was good and some of it was bad. The new generation has a different way of looking at life. Some good, some bad. There is more group think and less individuality in this brave new world. Look at Facebook. Everyone lets it all hang out on their Facebook pages. I could not imagine ever sharing my deepest thoughts (if I had any) and personal details with thousands of so-called "friends."

So we either adapt or we die out. That's natural selection.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

I don't buy the argument that Martin should have physically confronted Incognito.  Bottom line is that Martin is not an animal like many in the NFL.  (Incognito, for example.)  He is educated, and doesn't behave like that.  Just because they are playing a children's game, they don't necessarily have to behave so basely.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Yes, and probably racist. But then, you've been down that road before.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

Racial slurs, extortion and threats against his family goes a little beyond "rookie treatment."  These are federal crimes, since it carried across state lines.

It's ironic that the term "man up" used by so many in this situation is actually indicative of an incredibly childish attitude and world view.

+2000

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Should Martin have sat down with his head Coach to discuss this on-going issue before blowing it up?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

I personally feel Incognito is a tool and bad for team chemistry and camraderie.  These rooks can't be affording 30K bills.   The rookie cap is now in place. Also, this makes the union look bad yet again.

BOuntygate, not having a rookie cap in the last CBA, being selfish, etc, etc, etc.

Some of these Millennials are immature tools and just don't get it. He's one of them.  Also, after you make the team, this rookie hazing thing should pretty much be dead and buried.

Enough is enough.

Agree.  That stuff was way beyond being forced to stand up on a chair and sing your alma mater in front of everyone.   As far as the other team members are concerned, I think that most of them didn't have the courage to stand up to "Richie".  Just because somebody is big, it doesn't mean that they can fight.   OTOH, guys like Seymour did have the courage to swing at him at least on the field.  But when you stand up to them, you also have to be prepared for a beat down, fine or worse.

Unfortunately, there have always been and will always be bullies.   There were bullies back when I was in High School.   I was of average height but was very skinny back then.   This bully came up to me and demanded my lunch money.  I think he was more shocked than hurt after I hauled off and punched him in the eye.  The funny part was this guy couldn't fight.  He was just big and nasty.  OTOH, there were a couple of times that I tried this same strategy when I was in the military and got my A Kicked both times.  :)

The point is that Martin chose to fight back in his own way and that's fine.  Physical altercation is one way to deal with this but not the only way.  Regardless, people should not be forced to live in fear under any circumstances.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mpb2008. Show mpb2008's posts

When I read the Miami locker room is behind Richie Incog, it makes me wonder what the real story is.

Also, if I was as big as Martin, no way I put up with that, if what is reported is true.  I don't care how you were brought up, there will be a time when you just have to man up.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Whether you agree with the way Martin handled the situation or not, to lean against him is wrong. 

If he decided to come shoot the locker room, would that make you lean with Martin? Incognito is a punk and a bully.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Look at this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW9C4qi5Y80

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

I don't like incognito but Martin is a big dude and should've stood up for himself.  Martin did what I would do  and I'm a wimp

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

In response to neinmd's comment:

People our age, assuming you are 50+, and our values, are losing relevance in this new age. We grew up believing in the school of hard knocks, with racism being acceptable for a period of our life, and with a philosophy of fierce self-reliance. Some of it was good and some of it was bad. The new generation has a different way of looking at life. Some good, some bad. There is more group think and less individuality in this brave new world. Look at Facebook. Everyone lets it all hang out on their Facebook pages. I could not imagine ever sharing my deepest thoughts (if I had any) and personal details with thousands of so-called "friends."

So we either adapt or we die out. That's natural selection.

Good post. Good points.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Technically I suppose it's a "workplace," but it's not an ordinary workplace. There is a lot of stuff that goes on there that doesn't in other workplaces. I don't think you can apply the same rules. If they start doing that, you may as well close it down.

Incognito is crap, evil, racist, you name it. A blanket party (as someone mentioned) would be in order, or stone the guy if you prefer. I have no sympathy or use for the guy.

Martin is probably a very nice person. But do you seriously want him on your team, in the second most important position? Personally, I want a tough guy in that spot not a nice guy. I don't want a guy who's in touch with his feminine side, I want an animal. I guess that makes me old fashioned. Whatever, that's not an insult to me. 

If you're OK with a guy who runs away when the going gets tough, that's fine. I just don't know how you could trust him. The NFL isn't for everybody and maybe it just isn't for him. Could be that's more of a comment on the NFL than on Martin, but either way, it is what it is.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Really? Yes.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Should Martin have sat down with his head Coach to discuss this on-going issue before blowing it up?

Martin didn't blow it up, all he did was leave the team! Matter of FACT, and I mean a real FACT not the speculations you put out as fact, Martin hasn't said anything.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

There's no place for hazing and harrassment in the workplace . . . or really anywhere else.  Anyone who tries to justify or defend that kind of regressed behaviour is regressed himself. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to CHAMPSXLVIII's comment:

I don't like incognito but Martin is a big dude and should've stood up for himself.  Martin did what I would do  and I'm a wimp

Well, if there is truth to what mpb is saying above, that the locker room is behind Incognito, do you think smashing his mouth would get Marting far? If nobody is showing support for him, it would have been ahrd for him to know who to trust. Unless he was willing to take on the risk of getting beaten up by 2-3 linemen, it would be stupid to "stand up for himself", especially when threats are made. 

It's a bunch of boneheads wanting to be led by an uber bonehead. Who knows how far they'd go. After the AH incident, I would not want to find out.

Also, if it's the whole locker room behind Incognito, it's natural that Martin thought that it's the organizational culture, that the coach is behind. It does not matter if the coach was in fact behind that culture. It is reasonable for him to think that.

He was smart enough to assess the situation and see that chances of finding anyone being trustworthy within that organization is slim. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

Sorry to disagree."Private club" in the NFL, a multibillion dollar FOR-proft industry with guys who earn in the top 1 percent to "entertain" people does not apply.  Yeah, it's a bunch of big guys in a room.  But, this is not the military, the police, or the fire department - in those organizations you are talking about people who are putting their lives on the line so the pressure to "bully" and the "mass mentality" and the "silence" can somehwat be justfied because of what's at stake.

Martin was called a racial slur, likely more than once.  Inexcusable and digusting.  Could he have gone upstairs in the org to deal with it privately?  Sure.  Why didn't other players step in and tell the idiot Incognito to tone it down?  I think we all need to see all the facts as they come out before we rush to any kind of conclusions.  It certainly can be that Martin feels it's necessary to expose an undercurrent of racism in the league by going public.  I don't know.  It's one thing to rib a rookie and make him pay for meals and carry your equipment, another to call him racial or ethnic or religious slurs.  

What I'm hoping to hear is what other African-American players on Miami have to say about this.  I think we'll get closer to what's really going on here.  

I know what you mean about a hyper-aware PC culture we live in, but we surely can past blatant racial attacks.  That's one thing that American society must be above.

Sections
Shortcuts