Is Jimmy Garoppolo the one that's actually on the trading block??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Is Jimmy Garoppolo the one that's actually on the trading block??

No I am not ready for the Nursing Home yet…..However, why showcase Garoppolo if Mallett is on the trading block? If Mallet is to be moved then play him for a look see. If it’s actually Garoppolo that’s being showcased for a trade then does it not make sense to start him Thursday?

Garoppolo was a second rounder that a lot of teams had an eye on. He has looked very good in preseason and has only helped his status. He’s worth an easy first rounder in the 2015 draft. So BB takes a 2nd and parlays it into a 1st and Mallett stays as the backup and BB revisits the heir to TB in the 2015 draft.

Is this a crazy thought?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Re: Is Jimmy Garoppolo the one that's actually on the trading block??

I read they're playing Jimmy G and sitting Mallet because if by chance he gets hurt they are on the hook for his salary without cutting him..

I could be wrong.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

I said this in another thread...

Perfect scenario

He plays the entire game Thursday and the Rams see enough in him to invest a 1.

He plays the entire year for the Rams going through the typical rookie maturation process and the Rams finish in the bottom 5.

The Pats position themselves to select Marcus Mariotta in the 2015 draft.

Brady plays for 4 more years until 2018 and Mariotta takes over similar to the Favre/Rodgers situation.

Highly unlikely and a crazy thought.... yup but that's my scenario and I'm going with it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

They are "showcasing " him so he can show if he is improving enough to work with and replace TB when it's time. We know Mallett is going .. This is the latest man up scenario .  Don't know about his abilities, but sure do like the way he throws the ball.

Always Right.....at least in my mind

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lioneljoe. Show lioneljoe's posts

From everything I have seen Jimmy G do and say he is a Patriot/BB kind of guy all the way. As they say, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. He's getting playing time because that is the best way to develop him because he's being groomed for the number 2 spot and Mallet is on the way out. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Jimmy G has played better than Mallet.  He has a sweet pass and quick release.  I think they are trying to see if he can manage an offense for the full game.  Best case will be that he can and Mallet is expendable.  I would love to see the Patriots trade Mallet to the Rams.  Maybe they could swap 3rd round picks and a rams 5th for Mallet.  This is better than waiting until 2016 for a compensation pick.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Perfect scenario

He plays the entire year for the Rams going through the typical rookie maturation process and the Rams finish in the bottom 5.

Brady plays for 4 more years until 2018 and Mariotta takes over similar to the Favre/Rodgers situation.

Highly unlikely and a crazy thought.... yup but that's my scenario and I'm going with it.

[/QUOTE]

I didn't see that, don't mean to steal your thunder. This came to me last evening. Would be quite clever if it happens. Mallet will be allowed to leave via FA BTW as the Pats will get a higher compensatory pick than one in a trade so he more valuable if allowed to leave at the end of the season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Perfect scenario

[/QUOTE]

I didn't see that, don't mean to steal your thunder. This came to me last evening. Would be quite clever if it happens. Mallet will be allowed to leave via FA BTW as the Pats will get a higher compensatory pick than one in a trade so he more valuable if allowed to leave at the end of the season.

[/QUOTE]
    No worries.... I was just adding some outlandish details to your scenario that I mentioned in another thread.

I think Mariotta is going to be a top NFL QB and would love to some how see him land here. My scenario is not plausible but hey a fan can dream.

The more likely scenario is that all 3 stay this year and as you said mallet leaves and they get compensatory pick. JG is here to fill the back-up role for the next 3-4 years. I don't remember the poster who said this but in another thread the poster said that the future QB of the Pats after Brady is most likely not on the team at the present moment and I tend to agree with that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I don't think he's going anywhere, and I don't think playing Mallett at this point is going to enhance his trade value...he's had 4 years to do that and it hasn't happened yet.

I just think he is the better quarterback and therefore getting the start.  As for Mallett, I don't think he is going to sit the entire game anyway...I'm sure they'd love to trade him, but we all know his value is at an all time low.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

I have watched mariotta and he plays a lot like RG3... Let's hope JG is the replacement ..2 years grooming and then see. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to fishers5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have watched mariotta and he plays a lot like RG3... Let's hope JG is the replacement ..2 years grooming and then see. 

[/QUOTE]

Go back and watch some tape of his games. Yes, he has the added running dimension that RGIII displayed in college which some of that is based on the offense Oregon runs. Watch the plays when he is in the pocket... he has the ability to make changes/decisions pre-snap  and he displays the ability go through multiple reads and check down during the play if needed. He has said publically that he stayed in school this year to work on his mechanics.

Then again who knows... he could wash out like other highly rated QB's but from what I have seen the kid looks like the real deal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

They want Garoppolo to get practice time, pure and simple.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

THe Rams are actually a solid team if not for injuries. With any sort of reasonable QB they will win a fair number of games. They would not be picking in the top 5 with a decent QB.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

THe Rams are actually a solid team if not for injuries. With any sort of reasonable QB they will win a fair number of games. They would not be picking in the top 5 with a decent QB.

[/QUOTE]

Defensively yes, they are very good. The issue for them is the  O-line.... is a big problem for them right now. If they trot out a rookie QB in that division they could easily be in the top 5 drafting.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

I don' think any of the QBs are going away for the next season. At the end of the year, Mallett is more likely to be let go vs. trading Jimmy G.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Is there a precedent for a first year player -- esp. a QB -- being flipped for a higher draft pick in the same year he was drafted?  I agree that JG has shown flashes in preseason.  But enough that another team would give up a #1 pick?  As others have said, I agree that this is a chance for JG to get some run against 1st team defenders and to learn what it's like to come in after half time after starting the 1st half.  It's an extended practice time for a guy who looks like he's worth investing the time in.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

I think it's a test by BB to see if he can rely on Jimmy to be the #2.  If JG passes, Mallett gets cut which opens up a roster spot

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Someone named rusty called me this morning and said Brady is on the block. He said bb is trying to determine if jimmy g can go a full game before trading Brady to the jets. Apparently, this trade scenario would net the pats Kyle Wilson and a 2017 5th round pick. Rusty says its a fair trade.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

If BB is to be believed (always a tinge of doubt on his public statements on these kinds of things) Jimmy G is starting and most likely playing quite a bit to get him experience in preparing to start a game as an NFL quarterback.  

I don't see any way that BB trades Jimmy G; I just don't.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to fishers5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They are "showcasing " him so he can show if he is improving enough to work with and replace TB when it's time. We know Mallett is going .. This is the latest man up scenario .  Don't know about his abilities, but sure do like the way he throws the ball.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

^ This, they want to see if he can hold his own as confirmation he can be the only backup. Mallett's going to be expensive next year so why trade away a low cost player you have control over the next 4 years for a player you have no control over next year? If anything they want one last look to confirm they are making the right move prior to pulling the trigger. Besides, if a team wanted Garp they wouldn't want him to start a preseason game that could get him injured. You hold out players about to be traded you don't play them and risk a Bradford situation.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I'm with you on this one.

IF

BB thinks Brady has more than 4 years left...

AND 

He thinks Mallet is a serviceable backup this year...

AND

He thinks TG has turned out to play like a 1st round talent thus far...

THEN PERHAPS

He will gladly trade TG for a 1st round pick (if a suitor is there) and take his chance on drafting a backup and bringing in a vet for insurance next year.

Not sure that scenario is plausible, but I'm not quite buying the public explanation.  I should, but I'm not.

Fortunately the Giants will be playing their starters for quite a few snaps.  We get to see TG against starters.

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

cmon NMPL your better than this! Rex Ryan isn't coaching the pats so they are not going to risk injury in the 4th preseason game to an "asset" they are trying to trade (Mallet)

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

cmon NMPL your better than this! Rex Ryan isn't coaching the pats so they are not going to risk injury in the 4th preseason game to an "asset" they are trying to trade (Mallet)

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

[/QUOTE]
    That's a very reasonable and widely held viewpoint.

However, what would any coach do if a team inquired about trading a 1st round pick for TG but insisting they see more of him first?  I don't know if that isn't a plausible scenario.  Wouldn't you take the chance if the price was right?  After all, BB says that football players play football.

I think it's unlikely, but I wouldn't rule it out.  Ask yourself the question.  With what we know now, is it possible TG would have been picked a round higher?  If he plays well in the next game, would it be unreasonable to say we got a 1st round talent near the end of the 2nd round?

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Jimmy G stays and Mallett goes to O Brien & Houston for a #2 round pick.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

[/QUOTE]

Let's think it over....

Mallett has zero trade value so if you take a 6th or 7th rounder for him what's the point? You get that as a compensation pick anyway.

You put Mallet in and PLAY him hoping he increases his value.

UNLESS the parameters of a MALLETT deal are already in place then he doesn't play.

Let's say Brady plays this year and the next 2. What good is Jimmy G at that point.

If Brady is going to be here, and you can get into the top 10 spots in next years first...why not do it.

I wouldn't think twice.

Sections
Shortcuts