Is Lloyd Really Capable Of Being A Deep Threat? Fantasy vs. Reality

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Is Lloyd Really Capable Of Being A Deep Threat? Fantasy vs. Reality

88 Lloyd, Brandon WR 6-0 18830 10 Illinois

I honestly can't say that I've seen him play much. I'm a little concerned that the media and fans have over-rated him; much like how we over-rated OchoStinko's abilities (or lack thereof).

Is he fast, quick, good route runner, high jumper, physical enough to fight for the ball, big/strong enough to use his body to shield defenders away from the ball?

Is he really a deep threat that can create separation or is he more of a sidelines guy?

Does he command double coverage, or does he wimp out if defenders are aggressive at the line of scrimmage.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1guy1sharp. Show 1guy1sharp's posts

Re: Is Lloyd Really Capable Of Being A Deep Threat? Fantasy vs. Reality

Do you watch football besides the pats? The guy has game changer ability. Lloyd reminds me a lot of Chad Johnson in his prime. I guy that can do a little bit of everything. He'll run quick outs/comebacks. Beat you on a post or double. He has great hands. I'd say he's both quick and fast. Top ten WR imho. He's gunna have a huge impact. Teams will have to prepare for another serious threat. Someone with number one qualities. Someone who is capable of demanding a double from time to time. Teams will be forced to cover every inch of the field.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from No-Mercy-Defence. Show No-Mercy-Defence's posts

go to youtube and type in Brandon Lloyd highlights.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Tell you what, if Lloyd was playing in the SB and was asked to make that catch that Welker dropped you would've been dazzled and amazed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Also, Ocho is very talented. He's just dumb, couldn't learn the playbook.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stommpper. Show Stommpper's posts

In Response to Re: Is Lloyd Really Capable Of Being A Deep Threat? Fantasy vs. Reality:
    Posted by 49Patriots

you are so right. Ocho has been a total head scratcher. But Lloyd if healthy should open doors the likes of when Randy Moss was in town for the Patriots,

you are going to have Welker lined up with Gronkowski, Hernandez, and Llyod.
    Now who do you double? Obviously it will be Llyod to take away the deep kill shot, so now you have the other 3 picking up 10 yeards almost every play.

If this offense clicks and remains healthy, they have the ability to blow the record books wide open, 40 points a game should be an easy proposition if all goes well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Agreed the issue isn't is he Randy Moss on a good day it is who is the defense going to key on. Pick your poison cause if you don't take him away he can beat you deep and has A+ hands and if you do take him away then how do you propose stopping Gronk, Hertnandes, Werlker if he is still here or Gonzales or edelman or Branch or ocho... this offense could be so explosive if everything comes together it could rewrite 2007 records

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81patsfan. Show 81patsfan's posts

In Response to Re: Is Lloyd Really Capable Of Being A Deep Threat? Fantasy vs. Reality:
    Posted by 49Patriots

How do you know that he's dumb and thats the reason he didnt learn the playbook? Have you seen the playbook? Do you know if you can learn the playbook in an abbreviated offseason? Pls stop making "dumb" assumptions.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

He keeps defences honest.  that is enough to help out this team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

In answer to your question--yes,he is a deep threat that has to be a concern to opposing defenses
       He also runs every route conceivable well,has terrific hands and wonderful body control.
       Keep him healthy and he is a major force for this team

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Whoa. Hold on. B Lloyd is everything said on this post, but he has yet to show it on the field. Lets face it, he has burned his bridges most every where, and has had ONE elite season, and 2-3 good seasons.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Whoa. Hold on. B Lloyd is everything said on this post, but he has yet to show it on the field. Lets face it, he has burned his bridges most every where, and has had ONE elite season, and 2-3 good seasons.
    Posted by rkarp

I think the reason to get excited and maybe reason to believe what is said can be shown on the field is because his 1 elite season was under McDaniels and last year before injury he was having another top end season with McDaniels again. Some players just mesh well with systems. This should mean that Lloyd should be much more success in a system that brought him to his highest levels then say Ocho coming from a completely different system.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Do you watch football besides the pats? The guy has game changer ability. Lloyd reminds me a lot of Chad Johnson in his prime. I guy that can do a little bit of everything. He'll run quick outs/comebacks. Beat you on a post or double. He has great hands. I'd say he's both quick and fast. Top ten WR imho. He's gunna have a huge impact. Teams will have to prepare for another serious threat. Someone with number one qualities. Someone who is capable of demanding a double from time to time. Teams will be forced to cover every inch of the field.
    Posted by 1guy1sharp

No, not really.  I'm pretty busy with things other than football. I figure I can commit to watch 1 game/week over a 20-21 week span Laughing

Highlights typically only show their good points, rarely the bad stuff. So, I figured i'd ask some fans who watch more football than I do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Agreed the issue isn't is he Randy Moss on a good day it is who is the defense going to key on. Pick your poison cause if you don't take him away he can beat you deep and has A+ hands and if you do take him away then how do you propose stopping Gronk, Hertnandes, Werlker if he is still here or Gonzales or edelman or Branch or ocho... this offense could be so explosive if everything comes together it could rewrite 2007 records
    Posted by DaBlade

well, yes and no.  If opponents can get to brady quickly and on a regular basis, it won't matter who we have as receivers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In Response to Re: Is Lloyd Really Capable Of Being A Deep Threat? Fantasy vs. Reality : you are so right. Ocho has been a total head scratcher. But Lloyd if healthy should open doors the likes of when Randy Moss was in town for the Patriots, you are going to have Welker lined up with Gronkowski, Hernandez, and Llyod. Now who do you double? Obviously it will be Llyod to take away the deep kill shot, so now you have the other 3 picking up 10 yeards almost every play. If this offense clicks and remains healthy, they have the ability to blow the record books wide open, 40 points a game should be an easy proposition if all goes well.
    Posted by Stommpper

ocho should be changed to cero

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Lloyds biggest contribution to being a deep threat will come in the way defenses will play us.  They won't be able to play up anymore like that have been doing, and that's huge for us as it will open up the middle of the field. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I can't wait to see Lloyd on the field with Welker, Gronk, Hernandez or Branch.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Lloyds biggest contribution to being a deep threat will come in the way defenses will play us.  They won't be able to play up anymore like that have been doing, and that's huge for us as it will open up the middle of the field. 
    Posted by agill1970

exactly
    i dont like having only one guy who can do this though. makes us vulnerable to injury

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Lloyd played well when he was the primary target. He was thrown the ball even if not open at Denver and St Louis. When he didn't get do many looks elsewhere, he was a problem. Pats don't tolerate problems.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Lloyd played well when he was the primary target. He was thrown the ball even if not open at Denver and St Louis. When he didn't get do many looks elsewhere, he was a problem. Pats don't tolerate problems.
    Posted by rkarp

I wrote something similar in one of the earlier Lloyd threads right after they signed him. I wish him all the luck in the world and I hope he has many wonderful years with the Pats. But the truth is he has been in the league the same number of years as Wes Welker, and has just about one third as many catches and yards. There are reasons he didn't have the trust of the coaches and QB's in the other places he played to get more looks. Hopefully that is all behind him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsGnome. Show PatsGnome's posts

In response to "Re: Is Lloyd Really Capable Of Being A Deep Threat? Fantasy vs. Reality":
    I can't wait to see Lloyd on the field with Welker, Gronk, Hernandez or Branch. Posted by TFB12
    Yes, three or four out of the five should start. With Brady getting older and the championship window fading, the Patriot's have to make sure at least one player is in the backfield with Brady. If there is no player is in the backfield, the defense will just tee off on the offensive line and try to sack Brady.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In Response to Re: Is Lloyd Really Capable Of Being A Deep Threat? Fantasy vs. Reality : I wrote something similar in one of the earlier Lloyd threads right after they signed him. I wish him all the luck in the world and I hope he has many wonderful years with the Pats. But the truth is he has been in the league the same number of years as Wes Welker, and has just about one third as many catches and yards. There are reasons he didn't have the trust of the coaches and QB's in the other places he played to get more looks. Hopefully that is all behind him.
    Posted by BostonSportsFan111

unless he can run crisp routes and create separation, he may not get many touches just based on the sheer number of good WRs and TEs. He'd better understand that he's a decoy....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

He keeps defences honest.  that is enough to help out this team.
    Posted by getdrunkstupit

^ This.  That two less defenders the opposition can leave in the box.  This opens things up for the RB's, GRONK, YAC Man and Welker.

GRONK will have 22 TD's this year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: Is Lloyd Really Capable Of Being A Deep Threat? Fantasy vs. Reality : No, not really.  I'm pretty busy with things other than football. I figure I can commit to watch 1 game/week over a 20-21 week span Highlights typically only show their good points, rarely the bad stuff. So, I figured i'd ask some fans who watch more football than I do.
    Posted by anonymis
    Before he was coached by Josh McD in Denver he was only a so-so WR as soon as he hooked up with Josh he became an above average receiver,this system fits him to a tee and that's just the facts. He's whats called a long strider in football jargon,he's not exceptionally fast but he is in and out of his breaks quickly and he does get separation. He should do really well with TB as the QB. The other guy who will benefit in this system is the returning Jabar Gaffney,he knows TB really well and he should never have left in the first place.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to "Re: Is Lloyd Really Capable Of Being A Deep Threat? Fantasy vs. Reality":
    In Response to Re: Is Lloyd Really Capable Of Being A Deep Threat? Fantasy vs. Reality : Before he was coached by Josh McD in Denver he was only a so-so WR as soon as he hooked up with Josh he became an above average receiver,this system fits him to a tee and that's just the facts. He's whats called a long strider in football jargon,he's not exceptionally fast but he is in and out of his breaks quickly and he does get separation. He should do really well with TB as the QB. The other guy who will benefit in this system is the returning Jabar Gaffney,he knows TB really well and he should never have left in the first place. Posted by sportsbozo1
    This system doesnt fit him to a T. This system throws to the open man, relies on the 2 TE set, and throws more pooch screens than most any other team. Apparently they also want to establish more of a running game. This leads to Lloyds targets down, and when Lloyd hasn't been targeted enough, he has been a distraction. Don't look at coach McD, look at the other WR's in Lloyd's big years and his targets. I am concerned if Lloyd isn't targeted enough he turns into the Raider Randy Moss

Sections
Shortcuts