Is Mankins' Coming to His Senses?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: Is Mankins' Coming to His Senses?

In Response to Re: Is Mankins' Coming to His Senses?:
    Interesting, but I am not sure if I am NE I touch his deal. In other words, that's the deal, Mr. Bauer, so there is nothing to negotiate. Your client has already publicly called out Kraft and now you think there is more room for you??? What planet is this guy on? They just offered you more than fair market for a Guard in 2010 and uncertain labor market and your client not only rejected it, but irrationally and immaturely called out Bob Kraft, one of the most respect owners and philanthropists in the country. Not cool. I would ask for an apology and hand Logan the pen.  But, that's it.  6.5 a year is a very high deal for a Guard. 
    Posted by russgriswold

Mankins' ego was bruised. But, I sense that he really doesn't want to leave. The Mankins' camp also is acutely aware that no team has inquired with the Pats about a trade, the way teams' have regarding San Diego RFA, Vincent Jackson. 

Truth be known, the Patriots really don't want to lose him. Although he is only a guard, he's the best offensive lineman that they have. Vince Wilfolk's endorsement of his abilities didn't hurt him, either. So, I think that they'll be some movement on the Pats part.

All of the above aside, the Mankins' negotiations will be affected by what Tom Brady wants. Though he'll never speak out about Mankins in the press the way Wilfolk did, he surely wants his big LG back. What Tom wants, Tom usually gets...especially since his contract negotiations loom on the horizon.    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Is Mankins' Coming to His Senses?:
         After insulting Patriots' owner Robert Kraft, threatening a lengthy hold-out, and demanding a trade, it appears that Logan Mankins' contractual stance may be softening. Judging from the comments made by Mankins' agent, Frank Bauer, it appears that the Mankins' team is anxious to get back to the bargaining table, and wants to hash out a deal: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/16/no-progress-between-patriots-and-logan-mankins/    
    Posted by TexasPat3

I hope they can kiss and make up. If we loose mankins we loose a good piece of our already mediocre running attack.

This seems to have come down to a "whose is bigger" thing between Kraft and Mankins. He should know that when you hang pork with a billionaire, you're always going to come up short.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

U forgot what happened in the SUPERBOWL, HE WAS HORRIABLE,HE GOT BRADY KILLED. Get rid of this bum, and see if any teams  want him close 2 the season start, maybe we could get a pick 4 him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

Don't sign this guy at all, HE'S VERY REPLACEABLE!!! DON'T GIVE HIM A DIME KRAFT.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

After insulting Patriots' owner Robert Kraft, threatening a lengthy hold-out, and demanding a trade, it appears that Logan Mankins' contractual stance may be softening. Judging from the comments made by Mankins' agent, Frank Bauer, it appears that the Mankins' team is anxious to get back to the bargaining table, and wants to hash out a deal: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/16/no-progress-between-patriots-and-logan-mankins/    
    Posted by TexasPat3

Talk about De'ja Vu. Can anybody say Ty Law. His agent should have known that the shoot your way out of town strategy doesn't work with the Pats. No Shock here. I'm not so sure he came to his senses but his bluff has been called and he's only holding Ace high.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

6.5 is a fair deal, i would up it to 6.75 so we can say that we are working with him and lock him up for the next 5 years. Our O-line needs him this season in order to protect brady with all his offensive weapons.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

Posted by TexasPat3

I think Bill wants him and I am sure all the veteran players want him in camp.  He has been a good kid and things get said in the heat of the moment that should have not been said but he can say, hey I was wrong and NE is my Team.  I don't see it as that big of a deal as the media likes to play it up.  To get to the level of player he is, he must have a pretty darn good ego and you know Bill has dealt with this type of thing for decades.  Get back to the table and get her done.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Putting on the straight shooter air and calling out Kraft, whether it's true or false, should cost Mankins half a mil.  Holding out should cost Mankins another half a mil, because already the Pats won't quite be ready to go this September, so Mankins's value is down somewhat.  After that it's just a bargaining game.  Mankins's agent thinks the Patriots will settle.  Jonathan Kraft thinks that Mankins will settle. 

My unique psychic abilities enable me to see inside the minds of both parties, and so I can tell you that one or both of the sides is making a big financial mistake.  They'd be happier settling this thing at a fair price.  They're stupid. 

Oh, but I didn't say which side was in the wrong.  Oops!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Call me prideful, but my next offer would be vastly lower than the first. 

I'm talking a 5 year 15 million dollar deal. 

That would be my way of tell Boykins "You fu*k with the Krafts, you get the shaft."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Robert Kraft has one of the best business minds in the NFL.  Both he and BB know what Mankins' value is both to the team and on the open market.  What was said was said and can't be unsaid but it was an emotional outburst and nothing more.  It won't stand in the way of the deal.

The deal will get done; Mankins will get paid (probably pretty close to what the offer was reported to be); the Pats will get their pro bowl left guard.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

true, pats need him and he needs pats (to make the most money). I think he was pissed off cauz he didn't get any guaranteed money.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

The Mankins' camp also is acutely aware that no team has inquired with the Pats about a trade, the way teams' have regarding San Diego RFA, Vincent Jackson

Wheres the link saying there was no trade intrest?the guys a ball player. The knock on him when drafted was durability. In my opinion he proved himself. He's worth 6.75-7M per. he never missed a game. the closest was when Flutie drop kicked that ball and Mankins got tossed for a nut punch. I bet he would generate a lot of trade intrest. washington, Oakland, the bills got a lot of coin to spend.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Mankins is a guard. He is very expendable. 

What he said about the Patriots organization and owner wasn't just a simple "outburst", it was how Mankins must've felt about Bob Kraft for a very long time. And when a child curses at a parent in public they should be reprimanded. Simply saying "you better not do that again" won't stop a child from doing it again. 

Mankins' attitude would just ruin the chemistry the Pats are trying to build. And what kind of example is that for the younger Patriots, especially when it's coming from one of the most seasoned Patriots? Act up and bad mouth the owner because you'll still get paid more money than you're worth? 5 million for a guard? 5 million should be the combined salary of both my starting LG and RG. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonbam. Show jonbam's posts

You can't trade him if he does not sign.  That would only leave a sign and trade deal.  And, I believe that his agent can only negotiate with other teams if the Pats grant him permission.  After the Asante Samuel incident I doubt that the Pats would give that permission.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

i dont think mankins isnt a bad apple at all say like adalieus was...  he was pissed and said some sh*t(notice he didnt say nothin about bill) but they wont hold it agianst him... hes a country boy and had his mind set.... now hes readjusting and will be welcomed back into the fold with open arms....at not one penny more than the original offer...

bill b has said these things have a way of working themselves out....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Mankins is a guard. He is very expendable.  What he said about the Patriots organization and owner wasn't just a simple "outburst", it was how Mankins must've felt about Bob Kraft for a very long time. And when a child curses at a parent in public they should be reprimanded. Simply saying "you better not do that again" won't stop a child from doing it again.  Mankins' attitude would just ruin the chemistry the Pats are trying to build. And what kind of example is that for the younger Patriots, especially when it's coming from one of the most seasoned Patriots? Act up and bad mouth the owner because you'll still get paid more money than you're worth? 5 million for a guard? 5 million should be the combined salary of both my starting LG and RG. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

Were we discussing child rearing and how one should approach dealing with a recalcitrant offspring I would agree.  However we are discussing a business deal involving Robert Kraft and one of his players.  I totally disagree that it was not an 'outburst'.  And if Mankins is a locker room problem then that's the first I've heard of it.

I stand by my original post on the matter.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

What about if the Pats don't want to trade him? Then that would squash the no trade intrest theory. I'm sure theres a lot more going on then anyone on this board knows. The difference between Asante and Mankins is that Mankins does a lot more then just jumping a pass route... If a guard is a dime a dozen and expendable then why did we take him in the first round? the guys an all pro all star player. you wont just replace him. The Pats need to start planning for replacing Matt Light, sewing up Mankins for 5 more would surely help Brady the rest of his career. The CBA and the union are to blame for Mankins problems. I'd imagine that when all said and done the salary cap will be a little higher and maybe the price he's asking wont be so far out of range. Brady is going to comand close to 20M per season, theres no way Stafford gets paid more then he does.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANDY-NE. Show ANDY-NE's posts

Sign him, trade him, forget him!

I like the guy as a football player. However, he'll never be a "happy" player with the Patriots, again. Too bad, he's a good fit of talent with the Pats.

The Pats can fill the hole at guard and he'll bring either a good draft pick or a fine player or two, in trade. Besides, the Pats coaching staff always seems to build these players up to a greater point with the Pats... Yet when they leave the team, they just aren't as good as they were with the Pats (See Damien Woody)!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonbam. Show jonbam's posts

I believe that he will end up signing with the Pats unless Kraft is real bitter about the personal comments made by Mankins.  BTW, if I was a billionaire I'd probably have a "behind the scene" screw you attitude towards Mankins.

I agree that Mankins has no or little leverage.  All he can really do is to without his services until week 10.  He can hold out for the year but he wouldn't know how a new CBA would/could cover this situation.  With a potential lockout year coming up, he could be without football income for 2 years.  Also, I don't think that big, fat uglies (said affectionately) hold up very well with all of that inactivity.

All told it seems to make much more sense for him to sign.  He may want to negotiate a shorter term deal so that he may get to free agency in a couple of years.  That would still be a question mark without knowing the provisions of a new CBA and a possibly reduced/changed salary cap.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Alfie, 49ers, Tex...These guys have hit-upon what by far and away, IS the Most Critical aspect of this situation as it stands currently: 

UPON, EVERYone (Kraft, Mankins, Fans an anyone else for that matter)-Coming to the obvious conclusion that: New England needs Logan Mankins AND Logan Mankins needs New England (good offer, good money, no other club counter-offer, good fit, best o-lineman...and on and on and on).  Again, AFTER EVERYone comes to terms with this somewhat obvious conclusion (in hindsight), BY leaps and bounds-The largest and hardest aspect of this Mankin's Situation, IS and WILL BE:   Saving Face... 

Big egos butting & smashing head's together for the prize; Unfortuantely, neither Ram has become aware that the female has long wandered off...and they smash and bash on and on...  How each and every party involved s#cks it up, makes amends, swallows some pride and to what degree and somehow and some way-STILL feels victorious inevitably...  How this is resolved, becomes the last and largest hurdle.  Until then, Noone wins.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I don't really think he's that ticked off. I think its all a game that the agents play with the teams. He's a rancher. He is probably used to speaking his mind when he has something to say. I bet he could get that 8M if the CBA agrees on something. Wilfork got is coin, my guess is Mankins gets his.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Sign him, trade him, forget him! I like the guy as a football player. However, he'll never be a "happy" player with the Patriots, again. Too bad, he's a good fit of talent with the Pats. The Pats can fill the hole at guard and he'll bring either a good draft pick or a fine player or two, in trade. Besides, the Pats coaching staff always seems to build these players up to a greater point with the Pats... Yet when they leave the team, they just aren't as good as they were with the Pats (See Damien Woody)!
    Posted by ANDY-NE

What if he was never unhappy at all? What if his agent told him that was the only way he was going to get top dollar because the Pats weren't going to pay him what he wanted? That's what I think happened. After reading the quotes from Mankins about the Pats being Liars and not holding true their word That's what it looks like to me. When you look at all the facts the Pats did exactly what they told him they were going to do. I think this was one big show orchestrated by his agent. Unfortunately their playing poker with the NFL's Version of Doyle Brunson.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonbam. Show jonbam's posts

Laz, I agree that "saving face" will be the biggest obstacle in this situation.  Somehow Mankins and Kraft must come out of this situation holding hands.  Throwing the agent under the bus may be the solution.  I'm sure that some story about miscommunication could be invoked.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

All he needs to do is say "I miss spoke"  works all the time in washington.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

He called into question Kraft's manhood. What can he do to show contrition? He could publicly apologize or give money to a Kraft charity but its not like Kraft is the guy who's going to say he was wrong. I'd still like this guy to play but it seems like he backed himself in a corner with those comments. He's not Deion Branch coming off of a SB MVP. Who really wants this guy? Would Washington send us Haynesworth for Mankins? I know it would be a sign and trade but it could happen. Is there any other team who a chip we really want that would want Mankins? Maybe he just can't paid here but Kraft and BB can find willing trade partners and it gets done.

Sections
Shortcuts