Is Manning worth 2 First round picks?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

Is Manning worth 2 First round picks?

Manning exits this season at 35 years old with no contract in place. I don't know why the media has left this topic alone, if it was Brady they would not have let it rest a minute to try to create a distraction for the team, but that is another topic.  The Colts  only option is the franchise tag if they want to maintain any leverage, if it is still available with the new CBA, and it would only be good business sense for Manning to test the waters of free agency being that will most likely be his last big contract.  Also this will most likely be his biggest decision as to his legacy and last chances at any Super Bowl runs.  In his tenure at the colts he has been supplied with the best supporting cast , so he must start to relized it must be the system.  It would be easer to go to a new system than to expect there's to change. So, who is a Quarterback away from a strong playoff run, willing to put up 2 first round picks for the last 4 or 5 years of Mannings career, and willing to put up the big bucks to cement the deal?  I feel the choices will be limited to warm weather or domed teams, possibly Dallas, Arizona, or Sanfransisco. My guess, Arizona. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Is Manning worth 2 First round picks?

I think he uses free agency to leverage a big contract and return to the colts. 

But is he worth 2 1st round picks? 

Yes, no doubt.  I'm sure there are plenty of teams that would pay that.  Really any team without a decent franchise QB.  Redskins, Seahawks, Cards, Raiders, Jags, 49ers, Vikes... etc.

I don't believe he is a one man team like some, and his numbers are probably not so astronomical if he wasn't in a pass only offense but he would make many teams instantly better. 

Look at the Cardinals last year with Kurt Warner, they won 10 games and went to the AFC championship.  This year they won like 5 games.  That is the difference a franchise QB can make.  Even though Manning only has 4 or 5 years left I think many teams would sign him.....

But I really doubt he leaves.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

No. He's worth three. Manning still has at least three or four years left at a very high level.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

THREE??? REALLY??!! You are WAY too funny.....NOBODY would give up 3 & maybe only a few would give up 2....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

NO. I wouldn't be surprised if Manning shops around for another team though

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Absolutely. He is one of the best QB's of all time and can still play at a high level. Teams desperatw for QB's would make a deal like this

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

In Response to Re: Is Manning worth 2 First round picks?:
    [QUOTE]THREE??? REALLY??!! You are WAY too funny.....NOBODY would give up 3 & maybe only a few would give up 2....
    Posted by dmcpatsfan[/QUOTE]
    only team dumb enough to drop all those picks would be the Vikings, lol. Manning is going to be like Marino he thinks he needs to protect some BS legacy he thinks he has, but in reality should just go play somewhere else and actually try to win a positive amount of playoff games. Seriously, I would love to see Manning go to the NFC and watch all the INDY fans disappear. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

35 years old..No way he's worth 2 #1's. He'll be back with the Colts I'm sure.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I would imagine a few teams would give up 3 picks.  Name two QB's better than him.   There's only one....  The next best just got kicked out of the playoffs to a losing team. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I'm starting to wonder more and more about this.

Watching Manning's reaction when Caldwell called that assinine timeout with :30 left last night got me to wondering if he's really as enamored of the Colts' current regime as we automatically assume he is. Surely, it's difficult to imagine Peyton in another uniform. He's got to love that cozy little indoor stadium and the Punch-and-Judy opponents he faces in his division every year. But there are troubling signs in Indianopolis -- not the least of which is the apparent end of a long and storied love affair with the men in the striped jsereys. Even given the yellow-brick road to the playoffs the AFC South affords them, the Colts still struggled to make the playoffs this season. Caldwell is looking more and more clueless every time he makes a decision, and the team has let Peyton's protection deteriorate to a dangerous level.

All that said, any team giving up two first-round draft picks to secure his services would have to be not only right on the cusp of Super Bowl contention, but also in need of a quarterback. It would likely also need to be in a warm-weather or indoor situation, and sound enough from top to bottom to absorb two years of no #1 pick.

What team is that?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Age vs Greatness. 2 firsts? It would need to be a team that thinks adding Manning brings them at least one SB in the next few seasons.

Coming off his performance this year, his leverage is rather low though -- relative of course to his gaudy resume.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE] even 3 first round picks... Posted by auchhhhhhhhhhh[/QUOTE]

Huh? did you just start watching. LOL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]C´mon, don´t be a troll... of course he is worth 2, even 3 first round picks... You know it, you should know it, unless you started to watch football this season. He is our rival, the biggest one... but you have to admit that he is a great player... 

Posted by auchhhhhhhhhhh[/QUOTE]

But it's not about how great he is. He's not worth two (let alone three) first round picks if your team is not in a position to win already. He'll be 35 not 25. Three first rounders for four or maybe five years? No way. Two, yes if he's the final piece you need to contend for a SB. Otherwise you're better off using one of those picks on a QB prospect.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Is Manning worth 2 First round picks?:
    [QUOTE]Manning exits this season at 35 years old with no contract in place. I don't know why the media has left this topic alone,

RESPONSE: Sure you know why...because it's the Colts. If Brady was in the same position, we'd never hear the end of it.

if it was Brady they would not have let it rest a minute to try to create a distraction for the team, but that is another topic.

RESPONSE: That's the NY media at work. If the Jets beat the Pats, we'll never hear the end of it. It will be like the SB loss to the Giants, all over again. The Pats must win this this game, and go on and win the SB...to once and for all rid their players, franchise and fans of the memories of that damn SB.

The Colts  only option is the franchise tag if they want to maintain any leverage, if it is still available with the new CBA, and it would only be good business sense for Manning to test the waters of free agency being that will most likely be his last big contract.

RESPONSE: Despite the non-coverage, I really think that Manning is contemplating leaving. Indy really doesn't have much leverage. If Peyton wants to leave, he will. They'll be plenty of suitors for him, even at age 35. For example, if the Jets lose to the Pats, I can see them scrapping the Sanchize, and making a run at Peyton. Losing two #1 draft choices means nothing to them...compared to the huge upgrade at QB. Dallas, and Miami too. might go all in on Peyton.

Also this will most likely be his biggest decision as to his legacy and last chances at any Super Bowl runs.  In his tenure at the colts he has been supplied with the best supporting cast , so he must start to relized it must be the system.  It would be easer to go to a new system than to expect there's to change. So, who is a Quarterback away from a strong playoff run, willing to put up 2 first round picks for the last 4 or 5 years of Mannings career, and willing to put up the big bucks to cement the deal?  I feel the choices will be limited to warm weather or domed teams, possibly Dallas, Arizona, or Sanfransisco. My guess, Arizona.

RESPONSE: I can't see Peyton putting on that ridiculous red Cardinal uniform. As stated above, I can see the Jets, Cowboys, and Dolphins making a move. Also, don't count out the 49ers, or the Minnesota Vikings, who may be LA bound.
    Posted by part-timer[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Manning worth 2 First round picks? : But it's not about how great he is. He's not worth two (let alone three) first round picks if your team is not in a position to win already. He'll be 35 not 25. Three first rounders for four or maybe five years? No way. Two, yes if he's the final piece you need to contend for a SB. Otherwise you're better off using one of those picks on a QB prospect.
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

Good post Muz..The Age is very relevant. He's at the Point where he is one bad hit away from Grabbing the Golf clubs for a living. Joe Montana got traded at the age of 36 with a Safety and a 3rd round pick. They received a mid first rounder.That's what Manning is worth.

SANTA CLARA, Calif., April 20— Joe Montana, who helped the 49ers win four Super Bowls and was urged by fans to run for mayor, is officially leaving San Francisco.

Tonight, the 49ers traded the 36-year-old quarterback -- along with safety David Whitmore and a 1994 third-round draft pick -- to Kansas City for the Chiefs' first-round selection (the 18th over all) in the National Football League draft on Sunday.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

Of course he's worth 2 first round picks. He's probably worth more. This offseason, I bet he's worth Joe Flacco and a bundle of draft picks...

About a month ago I predicted Manning would retire this offseason, and I still have confidence in that prediction, although I'm starting to think Baltimore gets booted out of the playoffs by Pittsburgh and the Ravens push for Peyton Manning. A swap of Joe Flacco and draft picks for.... Manning? I could see it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I think that's the problem with Petyon, when you have him on your team you can't build a team around him. You have to bring in all-stars at the receiving position or he'll be less than stellar, you can't build a defense around him because he takes 15 mill, his two WRs are 20 mill a pair. By the time you get him a dominant offense, your screwed. 

I'd rather have Tom who works with the guys he has. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

YES!!!!!

I ask all these Pats fans who said "No" the following question:  If Brady had not signed his contract, and being almost 34 next season, would YOU give up two or even three first round picks for him?  I say, ABSOLUTELY!

Four years is forever in the NFL.  It is PLENTY of time to groom a replacement -- and as Brady has shown, that doesn't have to come from a first round pick.  In fact, isn't the QB position the most dangerous one to pick on the first round and being confident of them making it?

So, in short, YES -- just not here.  We have no need for him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

[QUOTE]I think that's the problem with Petyon, when you have him on your team you can't build a team around him. You have to bring in all-stars at the receiving position or he'll be less than stellar, you can't build a defense around him because he takes 15 mill, his two WRs are 20 mill a pair. By the time you get him a dominant offense, your screwed.  I'd rather have Tom who works with the guys he has. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

That's more of a front office issue than a Manning issue.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Not even close....Brady would be worth 2 picks as he has had basically a new recieving core how many times in his career with a carousel of QB coaches, while goober has had the same QB coach, recievers, and a dome all his career. Brady could go to another team and immediately compete for a champinship where goober would need a year or two to adjust, especially if he had to play in a REAL stadium without the dome....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

Why would you want Manning?  He is a terrible playoff QB, one of the biggest chokes in NFL history, especially considering he is excellent in the regular season, having one of the highest scoring offenses in history.

But in the playoffs he is 9 - 10 lifetime, and in those 10 losses, his offense has averaged a whole 12 points in each of those 10 losses, and then their organization blames the defense.  Their offense and our Moss offense are similar, which was why we got Moss, and in the last 2 playoff losses vs the Giants and Ravens, they averaged a whole 14 points in those 2 losses.

I felt from day one of the 07 season that our offense wouldn't translate into the playoffs, and they didn't.

Even more to show how inept that offense was, we made the trade for Moss and Welker after we scored only "34" points in our loss to the Colts in the 06 AFC title game. 

It goes to show you that just having great talent means little sometimes!

This offense is far more ready, and much more of a playoff style offense; solid, tough, good running game, and just great in the trenches.

Forget Manning!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Mannings worth 2 #1's if you have already spent 6 #1's on your OLine, WR's, TE's, and RB

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Why would anyone want an old, Chicken sh*t QB who has proven over and over again he doesn't have what it takes to win playoff games in this league.  He's worth a conditional 5th at best.

Sections
Shortcuts