IS NEW ENGLAND CHEAP?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3839316. Show user_3839316's posts

IS NEW ENGLAND CHEAP?

I know we only pay so much for a player so we can pay the other players a decent salary unlike say washington .But with a cap and NE spending near it every year how come half the posts are we don't spend and if you take into account this and that we really don't come close to the cap.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: IS NEW ENGLAND CHEAP?

We're not cheap, we're just frugal. LOL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nightrider495. Show nightrider495's posts

In Response to IS NEW ENGLAND CHEAP?:
     I know we only pay so much for a player so we can pay the other players a decent salary unlike say washington .But with a cap and NE spending near it every year how come half the posts are we don't spend and if you take into account this and that we really don't come close to the cap.
    Posted by james355

The Pats don't overspend, that's for sure, but with certain players whom fit their mold, they aren't too cheap. They are just not a team that will offer guys the most money on the market. They offer a chance to win each year, which works for some guys but not all. Take the Moss situation for example. He got 27 million for three years, but there was talk that the Eagles had offered him more money, in which he declined to take in order to stay with Brady. I'm sure the Eagles offer wasn't overwhelmingly more than the Pats, or I think anyone would have a hard time not taking the money. So back to my point, which was that the Pats offer to Moss was competitive to what his best offer was. So they aren't so much cheap, just not the BIGGEST spenders.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

No we are not cheap. the idiots post that we are.  They cannot grasp the concept of a cap.  They are stuck on playing Madden.  They fail to see or just plain ignore when teams like Wash sign many players, BUT also cut many too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

NE is definately not cheap......over the past 9 years we have had atleast 1 player being paid in the top 4 of their position each year.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

The issue is does New England have 3-4 players being paid at the top of their position with the ballance of the team being minimum contracts? Obviously not. I tend to believe the Patriots do it right for the most part. They try to have a ballanced team with one or two top paid players and a whole lot of mid range players and some rookie deals maing up the ballance. This will lead to the opportunity to always be able to go out if needed and get a high priced player if that is what your team needs thus keeping the team in the hunt for championships year in and year out.
    Now individually has there been some mistakes made by letting guys go and not paying them? Sure Assante Samuel was one of them but at the time I thought as much as I like his play he takes a lot of chances and gets burnt at times and was asking for too much. Turned out we probably should have paid him. But there have also been times that the Patriots were proven right, McGinnest, Milloy and to a lesser degree Law.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I said this on another post, but the Pats usually buy low sell high.  So a player like Brandon Marshall who because of age and production will likely become the highest paid receiver in the NFL this year won't get signed by the Pats.  Brandon Marshall is at maximum value, whatever he gets paid it's likely he won't be worth more in a few years, he'll be worth less.  In five years he will be older and probably his production will be down and then he will have little value in a trade, so whatever team has him will have paid for the best reciever in football for 5 years or so but only got the best reciever for one or two years. 

The Pats can spend wisely by getting guys like Welker, or Bodden who went unnoticed on bad teams and value was down.  They then pay for a mediocre guy but get a top 10 or 15 position player.  So, the Pats rarely pay guys huge money which creates this perception of cheapness.  Reality is they spend the Max they just spend it more wisely, their roster is full of players worth more than they are getting paid.  They have forked out for players at their max value like Adalius and Seymour but it hasn't worked out very well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

This has been discussed many times on this board.  Last season, 20 teams had more available cap space than the Pats.  So for all the constant talk about the Pats being cheap, nearly 2/3 of the league was cheaper last year if you judge by cap space.

I think the reason we don't seem to be able to sign enough of our top guys is because we overpay some of our middle-tier players, such as Kaczur.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Too many people think it`s fantasy football (draft Mc Fadden, sign Ocho Cinco); they real NFL is not like that at all. The Pats are trying to field the best team and acquire players that fit their schemes. It`s not Madden football, you can`t trade Maroney for Adrian Peterson and assemble the greatest football team in the history of the world. What some people (media pundits and some players ) call cheap, I call fiscally responsible. We have three rings and were darn close to 4th by being fiscally responsible and we don`t let players hold the team hostage for a huge contract we feel they don`t deserve (Asante, Milloy, Seymour). This is why Adalius will be cut or traded. If a player  underperforms on a contract he will be traded or cut.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

No .....just smart in how they spend................

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

Every loser team wants to over pay former Patriots because it gives the loser team instant cred with their fans.
     Fan cred equals ticket sales that can in turn justify paying exPatriots more then they might be worth on the field.

This situation has created a cap problem for Kraft because not paying for over hyped players is part of Belichicks successful stratagy.

It is something we Pats fans have to except. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

It's not my money so the answer is yes.

It amazes me how the Jets have gotten every high priced FA the last 2 years all while moving up in the draft....you know for those expensive picks.  They appear to be in good position moving forward.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

I also agree it's not fair to label the Pats as cheap.  Many teams spend alot less than the Pats for their roster.  The Problems I see for the Pats is that they spend too much on small group of players, and then have a big drop off in pay for the rest of the players.  Brady is certainly worth every penny.  But the Pats have gone after top FA players like Colvin and A.D. for big money at the expense of spreading the wealth around at other key positions.  Add in the very poor FA pickups and poor draft picks, and you have a problem.  This is exactly the reason I don't want too see the Pats make a move for Peppers.  Hopefully the Pats see the light and build around Brady with some solid big name players, because that's the only way they will ever win a championship again.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: IS NEW ENGLAND CHEAP?:
    It's not my money so the answer is yes. It amazes me how the Jets have gotten every high priced FA the last 2 years all while moving up in the draft....you know for those expensive picks.  They appear to be in good position moving forward.
    Posted by Tcal2

What?  This makes no sense.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

The team's payroll is at the cap every year! How is that cheap? You can't give every/as many as you might like starting player(s)  the maximum contract and maintain the cap stucture.  The NFL/NBA systems (I know there are differences) are different then baseball.  Don't confuse the two paradigms. The debate could be/might be are the Pat's spending their money well, but they are NOT cheap!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

In Response to Re: IS NEW ENGLAND CHEAP?:
    In Response to Re: IS NEW ENGLAND CHEAP? : What?  This makes no sense.....
    Posted by m1021us

Sorry, what I was trying to show is that it's OK to take those high draft picks (not trade down) and spend top money on top available talent (not the value/low budget player).  Both of these are things we have not been doing resently.  Other teams are doing it without any cap violations. There are creative accounting ways to work things out but they involve up front money and bonuses.  Something a cheap owner may not want to do.  Either way I won't lose any sleep over it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

No, you'll spend more than you want on a date, mostly because of the bar tab, then go home buzzed and alone, questioning your judgement of women...

well...that's what I've heard.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00chief00. Show 00chief00's posts

The pats try to load thier team with more "B" players instead of a few superstars and the rest "C" players.......every once in awhile they'll spend, but overall they like a well rounded team. They are not cheap for sure, they always spend to the cap, just not the way other teams do it......

cheap is definetely the wrong term to use.

Sections
Shortcuts