Is NFL fines going over the line?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from profootball. Show profootball's posts

Is NFL fines going over the line?

Wes Welker got fined by the NFL because he wear his hat after the game.
    I think this is ridiculous. Will they fine any players in the locker room with topless interview in the future too. I think after the game, the players can wear whatever they want and that is their freedom after the game.  NFL should not interfere their privacy.  Is there the privacy Acts 's law still exits?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

Re: Is NFL fines going over the line?

pasty pilgram...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I'll post what someone else wrote on another thread. "It's really not that complicated. Reebok paid millions of dollars for the exculusive rights to have their brand visible on game days. That deal is 10yrs old, the contract expires this year and Nike has the rights starting next season. A portion of those profits goes to the NFLPA and player's pensions. So if Wes has an issue it's with his union, not the Commish. But it's not a new rule." So he was wearing a hat from an energy bar he invested in. You'd think common sense would apply and they would simply tell him not to wear the hat before fining him, especially since he's been doing it all season. But basically the Union negotiated the contract on his behalf and he sees the benefits so he can't accept money for advertising reebok and then advertise his own agenda. At least not in the place he was doing it. Funny thing is though, nobody noticed the hat before, and now everyone is looking so fining him was probably the biggest advertisement boost the company ever got.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

$10,000 fine for a hat is absurd. I agree with Wes that a warning on contract violation is the reasonable approach. That said,  I do hope Wes's investment in this
    company has seen a boost.  I did not notice the hat ,but will now check out the
    energy bars. Wes plays like the energizer bunny. I'll have some of that!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Technically, the NFL should not have fined him since he has been wearing this hat during inteviews for weeks.  When you allow someone to do something continually which is not allowed, we are not talking about breaking a law, but some sort of understanding, you are essentially giving them "implied consent" to conduct that activity against the understanding.  This "implied consent" would nullify a later decision to arbitrarily enforce this understanding.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

I'm a big fan of Wes.

I think the fine is excessive.

That said, rules are rules.  The fact that he was not fined in previous situations is his good luck.  Kinda like getting caught for speeding once, when you do it every day.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

Wes did this deliberately; the NFL properties guys go over the rules each pre-season, like the officials do.  Wes knew the rules and decided not to follow them.  He is a high-profile player who is usually interviewed, so the exposure is not insignificant from the NFLP standpoint.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Gluten free?  I'm going to try them.  I'm happy to see Wes's company getting it's foot in the door.  Maybe getting a toe-hold on the energy bar business.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Is NFL fines going over the line?:
    [QUOTE]Wes Welker got fined by the NFL because he wear his hat after the game. I think this is ridiculous. Will they fine any players in the locker room with topless interview in the future too. I think after the game, the players can wear whatever they want and that is their freedom after the game.  NFL should not interfere their privacy.  Is there the privacy Acts 's law still exits?
    Posted by profootball[/QUOTE]

Welker and the Patriots got off light. I'm surprised that Goodell didn't dock the Patriots their 2012 #1 draft choice for not maintaining institutional control over the wily Welker.

This is just another example of why Goodell must go.         

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: Is NFL fines going over the line?:
    [QUOTE]Technically, the NFL should not have fined him since he has been wearing this hat during inteviews for weeks.  When you allow someone to do something continually which is not allowed, we are not talking about breaking a law, but some sort of understanding, you are essentially giving them "implied consent" to conduct that activity against the understanding.  This "implied consent" would nullify a later decision to arbitrarily enforce this understanding.
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. If they allowed it for so long, then, as Welker sttes, they should have given him a warning first.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

Get your Bonk Breaker hats right here fans...

http://www.bonkbreakerstore.com/bonkbreakerhat.html

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

In Response to Re: Is NFL fines going over the line?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is NFL fines going over the line? : I agree with this. If they allowed it for so long, then, as Welker sttes, they should have given him a warning first.
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

First of all this is not that long in legal or contract terms;  do you realize how long something must go on in order to abrogate the contract terms?  In property, the concept of adverse possession (using land that belongs to someone else) is about 20 years.  I doubt that this very short a period of time would allow that to be obviated.

Second the NFL has protected its rights this year by fining others who did not wear approved garments.  The only way that there would even be a case is if they did not enforce it across the league.

Third, do you know that this is not a cumulative penalty for what he has deliberately done all year?  The $10 K could take. all of those instances into account.

The NFL needs to protect its brand and branding agreements.  WW is high profile.  I doubt this would have been assessed against a backup offesnive lineman.

As I said before, Wes did this deliberately to promote a product he was getting paid to promote.  He did this with forethought; what he needs to do is sign a big contract so that $10 K is a business expense.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

They are turning into the Gestapo