Is Patrick Chung getting a free Pass?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Is Patrick Chung getting a free Pass?

A good safety is in position to breakup that 38 yard reception not two steps away.  Please don't get bent out of shape.......Just saying.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Is Patrick Chung getting a free Pass?

Yes Chung was out of position but that's why he's a SS and not a FS. He played well all game making some hard hits breaking up passes. I'll give him a free pass on this one but you're right he should have been in better position. Even still though that was a perfect pass and an amazing catch so can't be to mad at Chung for being 2 steps away.

What it does highlight though is the fact that we don't have a FS who can stand back there and either be in the right position to make the play or have the speed/ability to make up the distance in time to cover for his mistake. It's pretty amazing how far this team came without any real FS patrolling the deep part of the field.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

It was a perfect pass. It was cover 2 and that pass isnt supposed to work.

Here is the thing. Good Qb's will look you off before they throw it to the sideline so I give Chung credit for getting there at all. Eli looked right the whole time which forced Chung to cheat in that direction and then had to run back to the sideline.

The defense was perfect that was called, but it was "great" execution from Eli and Mario. The same Execution that was not present for us on a far less difficult throw and catch by Brady and Wes.

Thats it. Like B.B. always sais. They made the plays when they had to, and we didnt.

I can live with that. Can Wes?...IDK, oh well.  Thats the downside to being a proffesional athlete. Im sure the other perks weigh out...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In Response to Re: Is Patrick Chung getting a free Pass?:
    No.  Textbook throw and catch into man/bracketed coverage. 10 tries and they hit it that 1 time.  That's sports. Is Tom Brady getting a free pass?
    Posted by RustyGriswold

No.  He's actually getting torched.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

No.  Textbook throw and catch into man/bracketed coverage. 10 tries and they hit it that 1 time.  That's sports. Is Tom Brady getting a free pass?
    Posted by RustyGriswold

Ummmmm....  No.  But please continue.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

I vote Rusty for OC.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I thought the Mannigham catch was played about as well as it could have been played by Moore and Chung.  It was a pinpoint throw and as good a catch as you'll see in an NFL game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[Q Brady threw a mindnumblingly ridiculous pick with 10 yards to run on 1st down in Giants territory and Welker dropped a very catchable pass with no one around him. And this INT came 1 game later where he said he sucked and he threw a pick, an almost indentical pick (!!) in the same kind of situation. Ball game. 
    Posted by RustyGriswold[/QUOTE]

Sorry to disagree Rusty. Yes the pass should not have been thrown, but I've looked at the replay a number of times and Brady didn't have ten yeard to run. He would have been lucky to make 3-4 yards at best. 

Just like the safety to start the game. Yes he could have thrown the ball away to a better location then letting it air out, but had he not let the ball go he would have been sacked for a safety. If you want to lay blame equelly for the safety let the offensive line take part of the blame as well. Plus it was a cheap call by the officials. A number of commentators after the game questoned such a cheap call in such a big game. 

Hetchinspete. 

Hetchinspete. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Is Patrick Chung getting a free Pass?:
    A good safety is in position to breakup that 38 yard reception not two steps away.  Please don't get bent out of shape.......Just saying.
    Posted by tcal2-

I'm still not sold on Chung.  But it's hard to say for sure because the rest of the secondary is such a mess and who knows who's suppossed to be covering whom.  Most of the time, no one seems to be covering anyone . . .

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Belichick says he doesn't really buy into the strong safety/free safety thing.  He wants both safeties to be versatile.  So in this scheme I'm not sure you can say Chung should be playing closer to the LOS as a strong safety and it's someone else's responsibility to be covering passes deep.  I think BB wants both safeties to do both. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

A break here for a second, if you forgive me, But the funniest play of the game, was the 1st TD by Cruz, just watched it again. If Mayo did absolutely nothing, I mean nothing, ball would have hit him in the numbers. Manning said this after the game that he lost sight on the LB. Like to ask him where was he running to. Anyway just starting to get over the game, long season and hard to let go.
    Posted by bobbysu

He was running to the outside receiver. I say outside meaning just outside the inside receiver. Seemed like the Giants messed that up as both receivers were in almost the same spot.

As you said though, if he is simply watching for the football it's at a minimum a potential pick. Bruschi would have made it. Didn't he make one almost exactly like it in a very big post season game against the Colts?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Belichick says he doesn't really buy into the strong safety/free safety thing.  He wants both safeties to be versatile.  So in this scheme I'm not sure you can say Chung should be playing closer to the LOS as a strong safety and it's someone else's responsibility to be covering passes deep.  I think BB wants both safeties to do both. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

That's not entirely true. He likes them to have the versatility to be able to play either position to better weather the storm of inevitable season injuries.

However he plays them with very specific FS and SS roles.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Chung is just ok. Better than a street scrub. His durability so far is a big if. No prizes will be handed out for drafting him high.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Nothing he really could hae done, guy just made a ridiculous grab. It happens.

Chung made one of the plays of the game IMO when he lit up Nicks. That was awesome.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Unlike the pass Welker catches 999 times out of a 1000, Manningham drops the one he caught 999 times out of a thousand.  Karma was with the Giants sunday.  Every little thing went their way.  Other than that it was an even game.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattman1447. Show mattman1447's posts

The coverage was pretty tight...Manningham made a heck of a catch and from a heck of a throw from Eli. Bottom line: Giants made the plays when they needed to and the Pats did not.

Welker is taking a beating because of a poorly thrown ball from Brady...somewhat catchable but still poorly thrown.

You can't expect to spot a good hot team like the Giants nine points off the bat and not have it come back to bite you. The safety that Brady gave them set the tone for the rest of the game. And who was the 12th man on the field when the Pats forced a fumble/recovery? That's nine points that shouldn't have been....mistakes and blame aplenty to go around.

Overall the Pats played a fairly good tight game and were just beat by a better team....it happens.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Posted by RustyGriswold

Agree. That was an amazing throw and catch. Hard to do anything about that. FRom what I recall however, Eli did look off Manningham, and that look off probably cost Chung a step or two.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In Response to Re: Is Patrick Chung getting a free Pass? : [Q Brady threw a mindnumblingly ridiculous pick with 10 yards to run on 1st down in Giants territory and Welker dropped a very catchable pass with no one around him. And this INT came 1 game later where he said he sucked and he threw a pick, an almost indentical pick (!!) in the same kind of situation. Ball game.  Posted by RustyGriswold
    Sorry to disagree Rusty. Yes the pass should not have been thrown, but I've looked at the replay a number of times and Brady didn't have ten yeard to run. He would have been lucky to make 3-4 yards at best.  Just like the safety to start the game. Yes he could have thrown the ball away to a better location then letting it air out, but had he not let the ball go he would have been sacked for a safety. If you want to lay blame equelly for the safety let the offensive line take part of the blame as well. Plus it was a cheap call by the officials. A number of commentators after the game questoned such a cheap call in such a big game.  Hetchinspete.  Hetchinspete. 
    Posted by Hetchinspete

Brady was close to getting sacked because he stood there so long. When no one was open he still had plenty of time and room to do one of two things..

There was a clear lane right up the middle that he could have used to run back across the goal line and slide.

When it was evident no one was immediately open he could have slid to the opposite side of the pressure and been out of the QB box then he could have thrown the ball away.

Instead he just stood there staring down field

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

It was a bad play by Chung. He cannot let the receiver be downfield behind him. Manning even mentioned in his post-game press conference that he saw Chung take a step towards the other side of the field and thought there might be a window to get the pass in there.

In Chung's defense, pass coverage is not his strength. That is one of the problems with our defensive backfield. It is nice to be a good tackler back there, but we were bad against the pass all year!

• Sections
    Shortcuts