Is Patrick Chung getting a free Pass?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Is Patrick Chung getting a free Pass?

In Response to Re: Is Patrick Chung getting a free Pass?:
    It was a bad play by Chung. He cannot let the receiver be downfield behind him. Manning even mentioned in his post-game press conference that he saw Chung take a step towards the other side of the field and thought there might be a window to get the pass in there. In Chung's defense, pass coverage is not his strength. That is one of the problems with our defensive backfield. It is nice to be a good tackler back there, but we were bad against the pass all year!
    Posted by FrnkBnhm

Manning looked him off, the only safety that would've made a play on the ball is Ed Reed. Chung made a great play to make it back to Manningham and hit him. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

i thought chung played great...the pass was perfect by manning, i dont know of many safeties that would make a play on that

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Exactly. Troy Polamalu, everyone's favorite long haired All Pro wouldn't have even been in the picture, let alone close enough to try to make a play. It's amazing what people will try to do to blame people on the D.
    Posted by RustyGriswold

I agree about Polamalu, his strength is not coverage either. Chung is more in the Polamalu mold then he is an Ed Reed or Rodney Harrison. You cannot get "looked off" in that situation. They were playing two deep and that was Chung's half of the field. If Manning got him to cheat over by looking right first then that is an undisciplined play by Chung.

I do not blame the defense because of that one play. I blame them because they let the Giants move the ball everytime the touched it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

If we want to go back and look at individual plays and blame somebody we have a lot to choose from, Mayo not getting his head around on the TD, Branch and Hernandez both had drops on that same drive that Welker whiffed on his, Brady's safety and INT throw/punt where he just lobbed it up, in fact he was off on a lot of throws... no, the real mistake was the game plan going in.  

The Giants got exactly what they wanted, a low scoring, grind it out game.  Plays get made during games, great players get beat all the time. No one player is to blame.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJUKIEFAN. Show CTJUKIEFAN's posts

If you are gaurding the sideline the CB should take outside position and force the rec into the safety, as he(the safety) work be 10 yards away as oppsosed to 15 yds away.  Moore make some plays but he is not all work yet.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Chung isn't getting a free pass because hes been unhealthy for a large chunk of the year. Stuff like that is the reason why we finished so far behind in terms of yards and why a play like that is able to happen.

If your not on the field how are you suppose to get reps especially a young player like Chung who rarely played his first year, on and off his second and on and off for his third? Next year and the year after for him is going to be huge. Hes a good run support guy and thats good but he is way too much of a average safety for my liking. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Next year and the year after for him is going to be huge. Hes a good run support guy and thats good but he is way too much of a average safety for my liking. 
    Posted by Pancakespwn

Agreed he has to stay healthy, with a little more experience he could be an All Pro, the talent is evident.  He should pay out of pocket to fly wherever Rodney Harrison is and beg him to teach the art of "being where the ball is going to be, not where it's at."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I like Chung compared to our other safeties - I was glad they drafted him, however after watching him for 3 years I know that coverage is not his strong suit. He lets guys get behind him and the space between him and where the ball ends up going is always nowhere near tight enough. I hope he develops into a complete all around player, but with his tendency to get injured, I worry it may be hard. I'm rooting for him, because god knows we need help in the secondary.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

No one expects anything out of the Patriots secondary but to blow it big time. They did it the first time they played the Giants. They did it against the Ravens, and got bailed out by a kicker who missed a chipshot. They did it against the Bills. They almost did it against the Colts, the worst offense in the NFL, the Redskins the second worst.

It's what they do. They are mediocre. Everyone knows that the offense has to be a.) at full strength, and b.) nearly perfect, for this team to win. 

It's been the book for the last three seasons. They are an offensive ball club. 

If Gronk is healthy, or even if Welker hangs onto a pass that is right in his hands, then that is enough. 

NE's record in games where the offense scores less than 23 points is 1-11 at this point. 

And half of those losses were ended on last minute drives. 

It is, what it is. 

NE needs a real FS so Chung can play in position. They also need real corners, who are not toast on every 3rd down. 

Why would anyone expect anything less than a Giant's TD on that last drive. That IS what this defense does .... it gives up leads, and waits for the offense to come back for it. Sometimes, the offense runs out of time. Those are most of the losses. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

1)  Chung:
    It was a great play by the Giants

But .... Herm Edwards said that Chung was lined up
    just inside the hash marks instead of just out side-
    If he were outside the pass would have been incomplete

the question is - in the D scheme called, was he
    lined up wrong? did eli see where Chung was lined up
    and new he had a chance to complete it??
    or would he have tried a differnt play???

2) Mayo:
    just experience

3) Brady Safety
    He threw it right over a Pats head
    albeit closer to the line but very high -
    ticky tack call

Personally I thought the Pats were a little
    but jittery at the beginning

Not having a full speed Gronk hurt
    badly in both runninga and passing
    You just cannotytake away the number 1 receiver
      blocker and not be teh same
    ( on the INT should Gronk have been coming back
    to the ball? instead of going down field?
    and should he have commited O PI?)

I see the potentional for a great team
    but I want to see some studs in this draft

Offense
    qb- no worry for at least 3 yrs
    rb - we need some speed -ridley? vereen?
            How much should we really see woody?
    wr's - need some speed and size - we have smurfs
    TE - no worry for along time
    Oline- They did good in SB- when is Light gone?
      is Mankins good against elite pass rushers?
    Cannon and Waters are great - Center ??
    I keep hoping for Jeff Saturday for 1 yr

Overall - we need speed and size in RB's WR's
    the margin of error for the QB is very small with
    all these small guys - if Welker is 6 ft that
    pass is much easier to catch and it would
    really help the running game

Defense'
    Dline- Wilfork= great, Carter =good back? Deadrick good
       Love ?, Brace ? Anderson good, Warren - soliD
    LB - Mayo/ Ninko/ Spikes - are all keepers
    Db - Chung can be elite, Mccourty is just fine (safety?
        the guys who played are good enough for depth-
        the question - can we get a stud corner
        and is I-ras it?

Special Teams - winners

Given that the SB42 team is largely gone
    BB deserves alot of credit for getting to the
    SB this year - i thought a year ahead of schedule

We should make the playoffs next year.

In games agaisnt the best Defenses
    there are less possessions
    Means less points, closer games and less room for error
    I think the nucleus is there - this draft / free agency is important
    We are in excellent Cap space shape

just my take

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

It was a perfect pass. It was cover 2 and that pass isnt supposed to work. Here is the thing. Good Qb's will look you off before they throw it to the sideline so I give Chung credit for getting there at all. Eli looked right the whole time which forced Chung to cheat in that direction and then had to run back to the sideline. The defense was perfect that was called, but it was "great" execution from Eli and Mario. The same Execution that was not present for us on a far less difficult throw and catch by Brady and Wes. Thats it. Like B.B. always sais. They made the plays when they had to, and we didnt. I can live with that. Can Wes?...IDK, oh well.  Thats the downside to being a proffesional athlete. Im sure the other perks weigh out...
    Posted by JayShizzle45

Spot on. That pass was a safe throw for Eli. Very slim chance it gets completed. Very very slim chance it gets intercepted. If they get really lucky and complete it, it's a huge play. The Giants simply had the Gods on their side and luck was in their favor.

The next 10 times they try it, it will probably be incomplete. We just don't have very good luck in New England.

It's just flat out stupid that some fans on here expect perfection on every single play for an entire 60 minutes. This is sports folks.....it doesn't happen. And when it doesn't, you cry@ss looking for people to blame. Sometimes you just get beat by a better play or player. Sometimes you can be in the perfect spot and play it perfectly and still get beat. Sometimes luck beats you.

If you (Not directed towards you Jay) have ever played sports at all, you'd know that. Get off the couch, put down the joystick, and get educated on what really happens.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In Response to Re: Is Patrick Chung getting a free Pass? : Spot on. That pass was a safe throw for Eli. Very slim chance it gets completed. Very very slim chance it gets intercepted. If they get really lucky and complete it, it's a huge play. The Giants simply had the Gods on their side and luck was in their favor. The next 10 times they try it, it will probably be incomplete. We just don't have very good luck in New England. It's just flat out stupid that some fans on here expect perfection on every single play for an entire 60 minutes. This is sports folks.....it doesn't happen. And when it doesn't, you cry@ss looking for people to blame. Sometimes you just get beat by a better play or player. Sometimes you can be in the perfect spot and play it perfectly and still get beat. Sometimes luck beats you. If you (Not directed towards you Jay) have ever played sports at all, you'd know that. Get off the couch, put down the joystick, and get educated on what really happens.
    Posted by 4Adam13

I do not think it is about expecting a team to be perfect on every play. It is about wanting a defense that when the other team has the ball, is trailing and is deep in their own territory late in the game steps up and makes their best plays of the game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

No one expects anything out of the Patriots secondary but to blow it big time. They did it the first time they played the Giants. They did it against the Ravens, and got bailed out by a kicker who missed a chipshot. They did it against the Bills. They almost did it against the Colts, the worst offense in the NFL, the Redskins the second worst. It's what they do. They are mediocre. Everyone knows that the offense has to be a.) at full strength, and b.) nearly perfect, for this team to win.  It's been the book for the last three seasons. They are an offensive ball club.  If Gronk is healthy, or even if Welker hangs onto a pass that is right in his hands, then that is enough.  NE's record in games where the offense scores less than 23 points is 1-11 at this point.  And half of those losses were ended on last minute drives.  It is, what it is.  NE needs a real FS so Chung can play in position. They also need real corners, who are not toast on every 3rd down.  Why would anyone expect anything less than a Giant's TD on that last drive. That IS what this defense does .... it gives up leads, and waits for the offense to come back for it. Sometimes, the offense runs out of time. Those are most of the losses. 
    Posted by zbellino

I agree - the thing is this defense did improve - it improved to a mediocre defense, from a horrible one. That's not going to be enough to win you a Super Bowl and you're right....despite this, they almost did win it.

I think the things that kill this defense is obvious - you can't be bad at safety and average at best at corner and expect this not to get exposed without a pass rush. We really need a high quality defensive lineman (for whatever scheme we decide we're going to be). I don't want to watch Kyle Love get tossed around like a rag doll next season. I don't want to watch them have Deadrick try to take a decent left tackle wide on a rush again - when the guy is not made for that. This team had a very good defense when we were able to roll out three first round picks that were in their prime...I'd settle for two now. 

When Welker dropped that ball you knew the game was over right there, this defense was never going to stop someone when it really mattered. It didn't matter that we had the lead and the Giants had to drive 80 yards to score...they weren't going to stop them. In reality this defense hadn't faced a potent offense in the playoffs until this game and yet a guy like Flacco had his way with it, it's no wonder we lost this game.

16. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts