is pete carroll worth 7 million a year as a NFL coach?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

is pete carroll worth 7 million a year as a NFL coach?

I dont think he is.you have a coach that is proven in cowher to where he is looking for the 7 million range and teams dont want to pay it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/08/report-carroll-close-to-five-year-35m-deal/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

Re: is pete carroll worth 7 million a year as a NFL coach?

let them pay him..............he had a near perfect team given to him hand to mouth here in New England and he screwed it all up.............Bobby Grier didn't help much .........he was the old GM for those of you who didn't know that........Some people are great cordinators and awful head coaches and Carroll is one of them...........AT the pro level that is........

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rick8795. Show Rick8795's posts

Pete Carroll? Would the third time as an NFL head coach be the charm?

Kraft should have sued the 49ers for recommending this clown. He jumped around on the sidelines more than the cheerleaders did all while he ran the team into the ground. After the losses started to mount he admits publicly that he's not that good with offenses, his expertise is in defenses. I was so glad to see him leave NE.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Anyone have a clue why he seems to do good at the college level but maybe not at the PRO?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KUL00. Show KUL00's posts

No way. The Pro Levels requires coaches handling men. College is still 18-22 years old more or less young adult. Big difference in attitude, management style & the fact the NFL is probably the most competitive league in the world does not help. 

Good example is Lou Holtz. He was a great coach at ND, but his time coaching the Jets (late 70's I believe) was a joke.

Stay in college Pete!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

I can't figure it out either but telling grown men to get ..."amped".... "jacked"  and "lit" up doesn't work.........he drove me crazy while he was here......think about it .......Parcells gave him a team with Bledsoe , Coates, Martin , Glenn , McGinnest, Teddy and so on and he drove them into the ground ...........I don't know him to hate him but I never cared for his pro coaching.........throw Bobby Grier in there and its a recipe for early retirement.........

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

Pete Carroll's NFL teams have been undisciplined under achievers. He is a "Ra Ra" coach, which is perfect for the NCAA. He should stay there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marcus1973. Show Marcus1973's posts

I am surprised that Carroll would want to come to the NFL.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Not only is he better with the kids on an interpersonal level, but also he's a great recruiter. And in the NCAA you can have as many guys as you want. Being limited to 53 guys makes for a lot tougher job for a coach. Unlike Spurrier, who I think was unable to relate to his players "man-to-man", Pete is unable to motivate and command enough respect at the pro level. And I don't know why he'd even consider leaving USC. That job has to have ten times the security, and is obviously going to have more success. If he goes to Seattle I think he'll do so to prove he can succeed in the NFL. History is against him, though. But I suppose if he gets canned up there he would have no problem getting a job with a college who would pay through the nose!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thor7. Show thor7's posts

It's easy to see what went wrong for Pete in the NFL, so maybe he has learned what it will take for him to be successful at the pro level. Unfortunately, at the same time  his program at USC is beginning to show some vulnerability Pete is packing it in.  I can't really blame him, his stock will never be higher.  Good luck getting the Seahawks jacked and amped.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

College coaching and NFL coaching aren't anywhere near the same job.

A college coach is a salesman. His hardest job is getting kids' parents to buy his bullsh*t, which probably isn't hard to do at USC.

NFL coaching is about X's and O's.

I liked Carroll's enthusiasm when he was with the Pats, but he simply didn't get the job done. There is probably a mathematical term for the kind of equation this makes, but an NFL general manager would be retarded to offer this guy that kind of money to do a job he's already failed at, and he would be retarded to leave the Xanadu that is USC -- unless he gets jettisoned, which he will if he loses to Stanford again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

Supposedly Paul Allen wants a "name" coach and he certainly can afford what he wants. Carroll's prominence gets magnified here because of the Pac 10 relationship. With the legal issues facing USC, it might be a good time to get off the hot seat.

Seattle is great and money certainly talks, but why he would want to re-enter the NFL at the helm of the Seahawks is bewildering. That team is a disaster.

The interesting question is if Carroll is worth $7 million, what's BB worth? $25?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

I'm surprised he would leave USC for a team that needs a lot of work.  Seattle is at the same level as the Browns and Rams...QB on his last legs, weak O-line losing a HOF player, and a mish-mash of WRs who can't stay healthy.  The only encouraging thing on the Offense is the young RB Forsett.

I know the D had injuries to a few key players, but they remind me of the Pats...disappointing on the road.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Pete Carroll almost single handedly destroyed the rest of Willie McGinest's career by switching him to defensive end and changing the 3/4 defense to a 4/3.  It was dumb considering we had one of the best D's in the league built around 3 defensive linemen and four linebackers, Willie was always an outside linebacker and Carroll was supposed to be a defensive genius..?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Carroll will no longer be able to recruit and/or buy the best HS prospects in America.  How is he going to create the same competitive advantage that he has at USC with the Seahawks?  Simply, he won't be able to........

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Pete Carroll was a complete failure 2 different times with 2 different teams. The 2nd time around he inherited a Superbowl team and destroyed it. I would say he is worth about as much as Herm Edwards and I'd be happy to see him Coach anywhere for any amount with his track record....As long as it isn't here.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

I would hire Stanford's Jim Harbaugh before I would hire Carroll.
    West Coast offense guy. He has done more with less, but is also a bit rah rah and might have to tone it down a bit in the NFL.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

NO.

Seahawks and Redskins have made bad choices for HCs. Doesn't make sense 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

USC is filled with NFL players.  Seattle is not.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

No.  Been there, done that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

This appears to be an out of date list but it shows the Seahawks aren't afraid to spend money on head coaches. To answer the poster obviously no is Pete Carroll worth 7 million a year.

#       Coach Name       Team     Age    Conf/Div      Compensation*

1        Mike Holmgren  Seahawks 60     NFC West     $8,000,000
    2        Mike Shanahan Broncos    56     AFC West     $6,000,000
    3        Jeff Fisher       Titans      50     AFC South     $5,500,000
    4        Lovie Smith      Bears      50     NFC North     $5,500,000
    5        Bill Billichick      Patriots   56     AFC East       $5,000,000
    6        Tony Dungy     Colts       53     AFC South     $5,000,000
    7        Tom Coughlin   Giants      62     NFC East       $4,250,000
    8        Jon Gruden      Bucs        45     NFC South     $4,000,000
    9        Andy Reid        Eagles     50     NFC East        $3,500,000
    10      John Fox          Panthers  53     NFC South     $3,000,000
    11      Gary Kubiak      Texans     47     AFC South     $3,000,000
    12      Norv Turner      Chargers   49     AFC West     $3,000,000
    13      Sean Payton     Saints      46     NFC South     $3,000,000
    14      Mike Smith        Falcons    50     NFC South     $3,000,000
    15      Mike McCarthy   Packers    45     NFC North     $3,000,000
    16      Wade Phillips     Cowboys   61     NFC East       $3,000,000
    17      Tony Sparano    Dolphins    48     NFC East      $3,000,000
    18      John Harbaugh   Ravens     47     AFC North     $3,000,000
    19      Jim Zorn            Redskins   56     NFC East      $3,000,000
    20      Marvin Lewis      Bengals    50     AFC North     $2,750,000
    21      Mike Nolan        49ers        49     NFC West     $2,500,000
    22      Eric Mangini       Jets         37     AFC East       $2,500,000
    23      Ken Whisenhunt  Cardinals   46     NFC West     $2,500,000
    24      Jack Del Rio       Jaguars     45     AFC South     $2,500,000
    25      Mike Tomlin        Steelers    36     AFC North     $2,500,000
    26      Scott Linehan     Rams        44     NFC West     $2,000,000
    27      Herm Edwards     Chiefs       56     AFC West     $2,000,000
    28      Romeo Crennell    Browns     61     AFC North     $1,750,000
    29      Rod Marinelli        Lions       55     NFC North     $1,500,000
    30      Dick Jauron         Bills         61     AFC East       $1,500,000
    31      Brad Childress     Vikings     52     NFC North     $1,250,000
    32      Lane Kiffin          Raiders     33     AFC West     $1,250,000

*Compensation is estimated

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

This was a case of the "perfect storm". Carroll was getting heat on several fronts at USC...and was not getting along with athletic diector, Mike Garrett. Seattle offered him $7mil. per year, plus POWER. 

As for those who criticize Carroll for his two years in New England, Bobby Grier screwed up that team with some poor draft picks...and by undermining Carroll with the players. I wish him luck. 

Job one for Pete is to find a young QB (Jimmy Claussen, Sam Bradford?) to build his team around.      

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Is Pete Carroll worth $7mil. per year? That question is thoroughly discussed in the following article: http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/seahawks/story/1023016.html

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I guess Seattle didn't know about all the football genius' on this board who were available for much less.

Sections
Shortcuts