Is Peyton Manning Done?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Re: Is Peyton Manning Done?

I for one am sad if his career ends this way.  He is a gifted quarterback.  I do not know of another quarterback that can sit on the side lines, look at photos of the defense and make changes to exploit their weaknesses.  He has made the Colts a contender for many years.  He is good for the NFL.  As much as I hate when he has beaten the Patriots over the years, I do repect him as a player and a person.  The Colts will not be the same without him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

For what ever the reasons, if he is done, does he settle in Indiana or does he buy that Island for 40M guaranteed and start the "Peyton Nation"?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dastardly. Show dastardly's posts

I think he's getting $23 million this year, so I think he'd be ok financially.  If there's anyone to feel sorry for it's the Colts organization, they just paid $23 million for a lemon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In Response to Re: Is Peyton Manning Done?:
    In Response to Re: Is Peyton Manning Done? : Same can be said for Rusty w/ the Jets , No He had updated evry day as to every little injury they incurred and hoped that the train would be derailed for every setback... And thats his opinion too, but I get tired of watching Russ put up all this Jets inof and he gets no slack for it, and turns a lot of good threads into pissing contests w/trolls he claims not to like but cant resist going back and forth. and yes, I agree w/Texas pats it is big news..not sure about multiple threads, but since when is that new?  We have stupid Randy MOss posts because of a comment made about something not going to happen...they will moce to next page if ignored....stop whining and move on or dont read like Tex suggested
    Posted by JayShizzle45

Agree totally.  I don't think I can stand one more stinkin' Moss thread.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Is Peyton Manning Done?:
      The following excerpts are from an article in the IndyStar entitled, "Nothing is Certain When Dealing With Nerve Injuries":  "Peyton Manning's pain not go away any time soon."
    Posted by TexasPat3

Cool

Dude . . .  I hope that's a straight cut-and-paste.

Good ol' Indy Star.

Keeping the world safe from decipherable grammar since 1903.

Who was the source, Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer?

Tongue out

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Is Peyton Manning Done? : Speaking of UD6, anyone notice he hasn't been around here much lately?
    Posted by dastardly

The purpose of this thread is not to poke fun at "The Dog(gggg), but to raise awareness as to just how serious Manning's condition is. It is career threatening. 

As to why The Dog(gggg) is not here commenting, I expect that he knows what I'm saying is true.

Heck, he's such a Peyton worshipper...he's probably on a suicide watch in some psyche ward.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

Has anyone here had nerve damage? I pinched my sciatic a few years ago and it was humbling. The most painful, shooting pain imaginable.  Literally dropped me to my knees. Nothing I did made it better, then it slowly started to go away. - I know Peyton's situation is much different than mine, but only time will tell.  I wish Peyton the best. He's a dork, but he's a class dork.     

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from brady-is-clutch. Show brady-is-clutch's posts

Heck, he's such a Peyton worshipper...he's probably on a suicide watch in some psyche ward.  

WE can only hope, as for playtex (i have not liked him since his tennesse days) and im not a UT fan either, just that i do not think he is the greatest of all time, right now i believe that joe "cool" montana is the g.o.a.t. and brady is not far behind, but i do hope he does come back in time for 12-4-11 because i love that "pouty" face at the end of the day when he has "nightmares" at the razor, so get well soon playtex because the pats/colts game will not be the same without you (as in the 2008 game was not the same without brady) as for UD6, im glad he is not on here, (ol robby is at home crying or he is on suicide watch as of now) and the dog(ggggg) will not be missed on this forum

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I'm going to ignore the back and forth and just jump in and say.. I think he is mostly done.  Necks are nothing to mess with, he has a new contract with guaranteed money, and they can draft and have him mentor for a year and see how it goes, neck wise.  He will get back on the field, but he will be rusty and I don't think that bodes well for his success.  And at some point he will get hit hard and his neck is weaker than before, and I just don't see him risking permanent injury once the record for consecutive games is blown.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Manning will play again. But it would take an incredible amount of luck for something like this, at his age especially, to not be the beginning of the end. 

So he'll come in after a big chunk of the season has gone ... with zero practice, while the rest of the NFL is in midseason form ... and play. But he'll take hits, and his neck will take hits. 

I don't really feel bad though. 1.) He played for a long time, walked out of college into a huge rookie contract, and walked onto a team with a handful of first roun picks all devoted to giving him weapons to play with. He has had a 'dream' career, and I wonder how many other QBs might have looked better had they been given that situation. 2.) I think the Favre saga has severly skewed how people view the position ... QBs who play well into their late 30's are anomalous. They are the exception ... not the rule.  

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

I'm going to ignore the back and forth and just jump in and say.. I think he is mostly done.  Necks are nothing to mess with, he has a new contract with guaranteed money, and they can draft and have him mentor for a year and see how it goes, neck wise.  He will get back on the field, but he will be rusty and I don't think that bodes well for his success.  And at some point he will get hit hard and his neck is weaker than before, and I just don't see him risking permanent injury once the record for consecutive games is blown.
    Posted by Davedsone

I know that Manning feels obligated to continue playing after signing that mega-deal a couple of months ago. But, why risk further injury? He's won a championship (albeit a tainted one), and has solidified his place as one of the all-time greats. For his own good, he should negotiate a settlement with the Colts, and retire.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I think he thinks he still can.  And remember, he has sponsorship deals to complete.  I guess he is smart enough to know when to call it a day, and he certainly has enough money, so I guess when he either can't throw or gets hurt again he will quit.  I'm predicting he gets hurt this year around game 12, gets more surgery, sees how it goes into training camp, retires.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from vpindi. Show vpindi's posts

Looks like he had another surgery on this past sunday and he is likely done for the season. I hate to see him go down like this. We are in a great run to see two great QB's fight it out year in year out. I used to hate him, but started appreciating by looking at some of the moron qb's around the league. Hopefully Rodgers will be that good again.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

vpinidi,

That tweet can't be true.  Manning just spoke to the media today and made no mention of a 3rd surgery.  Not sure where that guy got his info.  Maybe from the speculative Indy radio host who said Manning was going to undergo a 3rd surgery.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

vpinidi, That tweet can't be true.  Manning just spoke to the media today and made no mention of a 3rd surgery.  Not sure where that guy got his info.  Maybe from the speculative Indy radio host who said Manning was going to undergo a 3rd surgery.
    Posted by DoNotSleepOnThePats

Reports are beginning to circulate that Manning will undergo another neck procedure, and will miss the entire season: http://www.thepigskinreport.com/2011/09/another-report-surfaces-peyton-manning-will-be-out-for-the-entire-2011-season/; and http://lockersmash.com/2011/09/peyton-manning-out-for-the-season/

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

This from Howie Long: "Neck injuries are a "different breed"...and he hints that Peyton should retire: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Howie-Long-8216-Peyton-should-do-what-8217-s?urn=nfl-wp6594

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Wow.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Jesus!  Not good.  Thanks TexasPat.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Angel-of-Light. Show Angel-of-Light's posts

I've also heard on WEEI that Manning underwent a medical procedure this week and is done for the season. Sad, really.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

It is hard for me to believe that he is done. I expect he will be playing sometime this season. Probably sooner rather than later or the Colts would have taken action sooner.

And I hope he is not done. Especially not done losing to the Pats. It is much sweeter to beat Manning than almost anyone else - Jets excepted. And that is in large part because he is SO GOOD. Like him or not he is.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

ProFootballTalk.com has now picked up the story that Manning is done for the season...and...depending on how this new neck procedure goes...could be done permanently: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/07/indy-radio-host-says-manning-will-miss-entire-season/

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Is Peyton Manning Done?:
         As the Peyton neck injury drama lingers, more detailed information is coming out regarding the nature of his injury. For football fans and, especially Colts' fans, the news is not good. The following excerpts are from an article in the IndyStar entitled, "Nothing is Certain When Dealing With Nerve Injuries":  "Peyton Manning's pain not go away any time soon. A doctor familiar with neck surgeries said there isn't a clear-cut timetable for recovery from such procedures and it's not a given the damaged nerve will ever heal. That the Indianapolis Colts four-time NFL MVP quarterback is experiencing weakness in his throwing arm so far removed from a May 23 surgery suggests the nerve hasn't healed, said Dr. Neel Anand, director of Orthopedic Spine Surgery at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. "The nerve was injured in some fashion, he has some weakness and now you're waiting for that nerve to recover," Anand said Tuesday. "Depending on the extent of the injury, it could take six weeks, it could take two years. And there's no guarantee it will come back...  Manning, 35, had what was described as a "minimally invasive" surgery in Chicago to remove part of a bulging disk. He had a similar surgery in March 2010 to alleviate pain from a different pinched nerve. But his latest recovery hasn't been as smooth as the first. "If all things went well with the (recent) surgery, he should be very much healed," Anand said. "So if he hasn't, I'd think that particular condition has gotten worse or he has a new condition, he's got a new disk (problem) elsewhere. That would make the most sense. "But we really don't know how bad (the damaged nerve) was to begin with." It's also more common for an athlete with one neck problem to develop another. "I always tell patients it's like having four tires on the car," the doctor said. "If your one tire went bad, you know the other three aren't that good. They all are around the same number of miles and took the same hits. http://www.indystar.com/article/20110907/SPORTS03/109070334/Unnerving-development      The bottom line appears to be that Peyton's neck problems are dissimilar to a sprained ankle, or a torn ACL. With time, a QB can return to health. But this, especially for a 35 year old QB, may be something that lingers indefinitely.    
    Posted by TexasPat3

Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed. Gonna be a long season in Indy.

Sections
Shortcuts