Is Peyton Manning Done?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Re: Is Peyton Manning Done?

In Response to Re: Is Peyton Manning Done?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Peyton Manning Done? : Pezz - I've had both of my ACL's reconstructed, and while the surgery itself may have been the same as a professional athlete, the rehab was not.  What may have been your decision and best for you may not be for Manning.  Further, the things they may do to rehab his condition may not be things that either you can afford or that your insurance may cover.  You may very well be right.  Manning may be done, b/c if these nerves to regenerate as they expect, then Manning's arm will never be the same.  That said, I am sure the colts and manning will spare no expense or time or effort trying to figure how to make those nerves work properly again.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Sorry about your knees but you have to realize ACLs and Disks are two different animals.
    Once you remove disk, it does not grow back.  It only becomes weaker and as I explained previously, it compromises the disks above and below due to the added stress.  Think soldered iron. 
    Nerve regeneration may or may not happen and if it does it can take years.
    There are also issues of muscle atrophies which may or may not come back.
    There is also an issue of being "frozen" which is a result of not using those muscles and nerves.  That would require another manipulation or surgery and may very well be what his issue is.  I know this because It happened in my shoulders.  They literally have to break everything free.
    I used to break horses and have had my share of them falling on me.  (Think 3 AHs at once)  Now I pay someone to do it for me.  I still do what I love but indirectly.  Time for Pm to think about that. Sorry
    Well it looks like he just had a second surgery, so I would think it's out of his hands now.  Too bad.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Is Peyton Manning Done? Sure sounds like he's going to miss more than 1 week...I haven't read anything to date that suggest that his career is in jeaporty, but if you read between th lines it's easy to reach a conclusion that his injury is more serious than the Colt's are letting on...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

My first post of the season.

W/o having yet read the other posts, based on my own neck injury from getting hit in a recent car accident, if he has nerve issues he very well may never again have a good feel for the football. No amount of determination would overcome that situation. When your hand is numb, you have trouble using a pencil (my problem last week), let alone blasting a ball 50 yards downfield into double-coverage.  And as a layperson, I also at least know that the more surgeries, the more scar tissue, the more complicated things can get.  I think it was Ed Reed this week who said that he never would have opted for surgery to resolve his own neck injury. 

It would suck if it plays out as stated, considering his talent and his field rivalry with Brady.  Reminds me exactly of when Bird retired with injury, leaving Magic without a suitable rival.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Peyton Manning Done? : Sorry about your knees but you have to realize ACLs and Disks are two different animals. Once you remove disk, it does not grow back.  It only becomes weaker and as I explained previously, it compromises the disks above and below due to the added stress.  Think soldered iron.  Nerve regeneration may or may not happen and if it does it can take years. There are also issues of muscle atrophies which may or may not come back. There is also an issue of being "frozen" which is a result of not using those muscles and nerves.  That would require another manipulation or surgery and may very well be what his issue is.  I know this because It happened in my shoulders.  They literally have to break everything free. I used to break horses and have had my share of them falling on me.  (Think 3 AHs at once)  Now I pay someone to do it for me.  I still do what I love but indirectly.  Time for Pm to think about that. Sorry Well it looks like he just had a second surgery, so I would think it's out of his hands now.  Too bad.
    Posted by pezz4pats[/QUOTE]
    Pezz - I am not at all trying to pass off what you are saying.  It makes complete sense and there may be no way to cure his ills.  We shall see. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]Is Peyton Manning Done? Sure sounds like he's going to miss more than 1 week...I haven't read anything to date that suggest that his career is in jeaporty, but if you read between th lines it's easy to reach a conclusion that his injury is more serious than the Colt's are letting on...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]
    Word out now is that he had spinal fusion surgery today.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Peyton Manning Done? : Pezz - I am not at all trying to pass off what you are saying.  It makes complete sense and there may be no way to cure his ills.  We shall see. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

My Dr told me with a fusion, it takes a minimum of 3 months just for the bone to begin to heal and probably 6 months to start feeling good.  That is for a normal lay person.  For what he does I imagine it would be much longer, if at all.
    Then you have to worry about re-injury with 350 lb guys landing on you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

Peyton is most likely out for the season.  Polian isn't so stupid as to let him play in week 17 when he's 3/4th healed.  Watch the Colts go 2-14 and land Andrew Luck in the draft.  Geesh.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Peyton Manning Done? : My Dr told me with a fusion, it takes a minimum of 3 months just for the bone to begin to heal and probably 6 months to start feeling good.  That is for a normal lay person.  For what he does I imagine it would be much longer, if at all. Then you have to worry about re-injury with 350 lb guys landing on you.
    Posted by pezz4pats[/QUOTE]

Yea - I've got to believe he is on the shelf for this year.  They've said 2-3 months, but I am really not buying it. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsrkillers. Show patsrkillers's posts

Heres a twist was just thinking with manning injury and on going problems does this make Brady think about retiring  earlier then what he planned on?He has indorsments and setting himself up good for the future.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

Wow...Crag Face No Neck is KAPUT! ... He's cooked, done, a finito burrito, over the falls without a barrel....At least his teammates will be able to sign his restrictive dog collar ...wether it's the plastic one or the foam rubber one, it SVCKS...your neck itches like hell, and it hurts to breath, at least for the first few weeks.....Fused bones not a good thing for this guy....he'll N-E-V-E-R be the same, never, never, never be the same.......he's crazy if he tries to play again....Pezz is absolutely right, why risk paralysis and lifelong pain, it's not worth it...he's as rich as he needs to be, has tons of records....sometimes, you just have to call it a day....I don't know anyone that had the same issues that I had with my discs that EVER was the same after the first truly painful, debilitating attack...I always thought of myself as a tough guy who could withstand a lot of pain without complaining, but the pain from my discs was mind boggling, and it continues for months...now when I swim (I need two knee replacements, also from playing football, so I walk, never jog anymore), when I get home and relax, my back spasms like heck for a couple of hours......you never fully escape the stuff it causes....I hope he hangs it up....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Now they're saying that Manning will be out 2-3 months!! They're also saying that the 2-3 month period is just an estimate!! Folks, he's gone for the year, regardless on how much "The Dog(gggg) may howl: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/08/manning-undergoes-cervical-fusion-surgery-out-2-3-months/

Frankly...I see this injury as career ending.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Stick a fork in him. Why come back after all that guarenteed money

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

[QUOTE]     Now they're saying that Manning will be out 2-3 months !! They're also saying that the 2-3 month period is just an estimate!! Folks, he's gone for the year, regardless on how much "The Dog(gggg) may howl: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/08/manning-undergoes-cervical-fusion-surgery-out-2-3-months/
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

I'd go further and say there's better than 50 50 that his career is over. He's definately done for this season and he'll probably realize sometime before next year's training camp that life in a wheelchair isn't worth it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Manning underwent his 3rd neck surgery today. Again, folks...I think his career is over. If he tries to come back from this...he's crazy: http://www.indystar.com/article/20110908/SPORTS03/110908020/Colts-QB-Manning-has-third-neck-surgery-today

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Peyton Manning Done? : I'd go further and say there's better than 50 50 that his career is over. He's definately done for this season and he'll probably realize sometime before next year's training camp that life in a wheelchair isn't worth it.
    Posted by Evil2012[/QUOTE]

Having been there, I'd go even further and say there's a 75% chance he's done.
    You are forced to put things into perspective here as a fusion is always a last resort procedure.
    If he's smart, he retires, coaches or goes fishing every day.
    Lemme see; have sex with wife, bounce your baby girl on your knees, play ball with your son, go to a concert or movie, go to the restroom unassisted, or play Football.  It sux, but that is the reality of it.
    Have to say, I don't care for Manning or the Colts but I really feel for them and the fans right now.  I remember how I felt when TB went down and it was really awful. So, sorry dogggggg.
    Also remember too clearly the pain of going through that crap.  Still am.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here is a cross-section of what Colt fans are saying after word went out that Manning is having a third neck surgery:

1.) So begins the first chapter in the story of the LA Colts: Peyton has to retire in '11; the franchise goes back to mediocrity or worse; that big stadium is half-empty when the so-called fans bail; and Irsay Jr. calls Mayflower in about '18 to move into that nice new stadium across the street from Staple Center. Indy can go back to treating the Bengals as their hometown team.

2.) Looking back, that was some sweet contract negotiating Manning did. We could almost laugh about him sticking it to Irsay, but we all know it's the taxpayers that will end up footing the bill in the end.

3.) I am afraid that there will not be a good prognosis on this one. The first question will be loss of motion. The second question will be the possibility of whiplash when hit from behind. I see retirement. He had a good run - walk away.

4.) So let me get this straight.. Manning signs the 90 million deal a month ago after having surgery in May and then he has another surgery today??? Hey Peyton where was the pain in the neck when you signed your big fat contract that just put the Colts in the toilet??? Had no problem taking 90 million even though he was hurt?? Get this guy out of here. This guy is finished.

5.) People were making fun of me the other day on this site for saying that the doctor may have ruined his career or that his career is over. Mark my words, he is never stepping onto the field again. PLEASE MANNING, give your money back from your contract so the Colts could move forward. I wonder if he knew he was never going to play again and signed the contract just to get more money. So much for playing for the SB at home:(

6.) It is time to thank Peyton for being great for many years.....time for him to retire , so he can walk the rest of his life.....and , most importantly , time for Irsay to get his head out of his___ and start finding a young replacement , like he should have been doing years ago !!!

7.) How are you season ticket holders feeling today? Not too good I bet. Oh well, there's always IU football. This season is over before it begins.

8.) Lose all games on purpose, get first round draft pick, draft Andrew Luck....problem solved.

9.) The media keeps lying about this. He has had SPINAL surgery. No football after SPINAL surgery.

10.) Turn out the liiiiights the party's over.....

http://www.indystar.com/comments/article/20110908/SPORTS03/110908020/Colts-QB-Peyton-Manning-underwent-neck-surgery-today

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Thanks #18 for all the memories!

Inline

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Sh*t I've hated your commercials, hated your image as a cyborg, hated that nothing could take you down. But I've always admired your leadership and ability to be an on field OC/Coach. Anyways, sorry to see you go...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think Manning is done for the season.

My prediction is Carson Palmer ends up in Indy. I see this as their only real option for this year, otherwise, they might as well throw the towel in. Gerrard and Collins ain't going to cut it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Now "experts" are saying that it will be at least 3 months before Manning "recovers" from surgery. In other words...he's done for the season: http://www.indystar.com/article/20110909/SPORTS03/109090340/Experts-Manning-will-need-least-3-months-recover-from-surgery

Again...I don't see him ever playing again. If, at age 36, he tries to come back next year with this condition, he's crazy. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

I agree TP...the dude should take care of himself and his family first...he's done enough for Indy, he shouldn't risk his health and well being to play another down in the NFL.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I hated it when the Manning-led Colts beat us and gloated when we won. Through it all Manning and Brady were both usually terrific and each accepted victory and defeat with class. I wish him well and I'll try not to call him horse-face anymore.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Peyton Manning Done? : But if I believe you are an idiot, it would be disingenuous for me to stop referring to you as such.  Capiche?
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Pot, this is kettle.  Blah, blah, blah.  I don't have to "believe" you're an idiot, you prove it with every post child.