Is running more the secret to the Pats' success?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Is running more the secret to the Pats' success?

From Bill O'Brien in his post-game: "It (the run) definitely goes hand in hand in our opinion. In order to have a decent play action game, you’ve got to be able to run the ball and do the best you can to make those two things to look alike. I think our guys really work on it a lot and our guys really believe in it. … It all works together and I believe that’s something we did a pretty good job of last night. … At the end of the day, you’ve got to be able to run the ball to make that as effective as you want it to be."

Can anybody sanely argue that the adjustment to more running last night fixed the stalled offense?  Sure, few yards to start, but that changed as the game progressed.  And soon the scores came flowing. KC couldn't double cover Gronk, Welker and Branch on every play if they had to worry about a running play.  Totally changed the game thereafter.

Also, have you noticed that Woodhead is a better choice at RB to start the game (and maybe Vereen will good in that role, too), with his darting and weaving, only to bring in The Law Firm to pound it downhill later in the game as the D starts to run low of gas?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Re: Is running more the secret to the Pats' success?

I am not claiming that the run was making major headway in and of itself.  My assertion, as is O'Brien's, is that the running game opens up the field.  So they may not beable to rip-off three straight running plays to start their 1st possession.  But maybe on second down, when less expected.  Second down again.  First down.  Third down.  Keep the D off-kiklter, guessing. 

Before they started running more last night, I watch the replays from Brady's perspective and each time his receivers were covered with Magic Shell, i.e., super-tight coverage. He was coverage-scaked.  So they started running, and lo' and behold, KC couldn't double-cover Brady';s three targets anymore and he starts completeing passes.  And then the runs start getting some nice gains, and voila', the O gets traction.

That's what I saw.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

If you pass every time, as the Pats did virtually in all of their losses, you will not have Gronk open down the field. It's a pretty simple concept.  If you do not run, you lose.  Your receivers will never be open and your QB will eventually get hurt.  

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Alright, you are one of those guys.  You know - the kind of bully that is ruining this format because you don't know how to disagree without getting personal.  Take a bow.

Just totally disregard what the O-coordinator is saying, and what just about every coach says needs to be done, even when the running plays are not getting many yards.  You are much wiser and smarter than all of them put together.

In the past, I would put up with your type.  But life is too short.  Nowadays, I just "ignore" you.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Rusty, I don't get why so many posters here are vehemently rejecting Football 101.  They don't get that a running game's success is not judged solely on yards averaged, nor break-away TD runs.  

In this day of high-flying pass games, you and I know that teams only need the running game to keep the D honest and to run out the clock.  How hard is that to grasp?  And if you can run it as well as Denver and pass it it as well as GB, well, then you have it made in the shade.  But you will never run it effectively if you don't even try.  And you will never pass effectively if you pass 70+% of the time...at least as the rules are today.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

We should pass 2.5-1 run every game. 47 passes to 17 runs is about right. This way we let up 3-4 sacks per game, 7-8 Qb hits. It guarantees us 14 points in the next playoff game, then we can blame the worst defense in NFL history for everything.(Sarcasm intended)

We have 5 RB's lets use at least 2 of them and have some balance. It usually leads to our largest margin of victory every time. Just like yesterday.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I would like ot see more running wide to keep the middle of the field open.  Teams are blitzing up the middle becouse they know that is how to rattle Brady.  Run the ball wide or use a few reverses.  This would for teams to spread out a little and keep the middle open.  I cannot blame the OL when they are getting bull rushed by a team of player up the middle.  The sidelines are open.  Throw a quick slant or a reverse or run wide.   Widen the field of play.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

In Response to Re: Is running more the secret to the Pats' success?:
    We should pass 2.5-1 run every game. 47 passes to 17 runs is about right. This way we let up 3-4 sacks per game, 7-8 Qb hits. It guarantees us 14 points in the next playoff game, then we can blame the worst defense in NFL history for everything.(Sarcasm intended) We have 5 RB's lets use at least 2 of them and have some balance. It usually leads to our largest margin of victory every time. Just like yesterday.
    Posted by TrueChamp

In the words of Tebow, "AMEN!"

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts