Is running more the secret to the Pats' success?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Is running more the secret to the Pats' success?

In Response to Re: Is running more the secret to the Pats' success?:
    In Response to Re: Is running more the secret to the Pats' success? : They had that against the Ravens in 2009.  How did that one work out?
    Posted by Patsfansince1966

Welker wasn't there that game. 

The Raven's game was completely anomalous on the offensive side of the football. 

Brady had broken ribs, Moss was nursing a hammy and Welker was out.

It was also a vary different kind of offense from what they run now ... one that was predicated on moving top to bottom from  Moss to Welker. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Moss missed the Ravens playoff game?
    Posted by Patsfansince1966

He may as well have.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Is running more the secret to the Pats' success? : I've been posting this since last season. A lot of people still don't see it. It's alright.  What you are saying is the truth. Teams that have physical corners pose problems.  From press man, with a safety up any defense is in position to: Cover a TE man2man, stuff the run with extra bodies, push smallish WRs around and Woodhead, bracket Welker, and disguise blitzes.  Only a few teams have the personnel to do this consistently. And running the ball at it is not the answer. Nor are screens. Trying to synthetsize a working vertical game is the answer when people are clogging the middle of the feild from 15-10 yards in. 
    Posted by zbellino

Yeah, I remember you saying as much last season . . . talking about Tate not being good enough to give us that deep threat. 

The problem was really becoming obvious last year.  It popped up in the Ravens playoff game in 2009.  Then I noticed it in 2010 in the first Jets game in the Meadowlands, where Moss (despite his spectacular one-handed catch early in the game) was very ineffective at stretching the field and got beat really bad by Cromartie.  That game the Pats tried to run in the second half and got shut down completely.  I really believe that one reason the Pats didn't try to run against the Jets in the playoff game was because the run was so ineffective in that first Jets game.  Where it really became apparent, though, was in the Saints game in 2010.  The Saints brought a safety in close to spy on Welker and were able to hold the Pats offense to just 17 points.  I think those three games--Ravens, Jets, and Saints--really started to show the rest of the league the so-called "blueprint" for shutting the Pats down.  Defend the LOS and short zones--and take your chances deep, since the Pats really can't exploit the deep zones. Not every defense is good enough to pull that off, but the good ones give us problems. 

Sections
Shortcuts