Is Sanchez another Leinhart?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Is Sanchez another Leinhart?

Will Sanchez prove to be another product of the USC system?  A QB surrounded by 1st round picks, I think so.  The Jets should have waited to draft a QB next season, because I see Sanchez taking the same road as Leinhart, a major bust.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Re: Is Sanchez another Leinhart?

There's something to be said for these guys being overrated due to the surrounding cast and the pimpernell schedule they played, but Leinart at least stuck around long enough to display a certain level of consistency. On one hand you could say this could indicate that Leinart is more of a known commodity and is less likely to improve, wherea Sanchez is more of a wildcard and could turn out to be a diamond in the rough. A more logical approach would be to assume that, because Sanchez will be getting his reps against competition he will not likely be able to handle, he is a prime candidate for shell shock. Leinart is on the Cards, who were a cute story last year but are still a 9-7 team in the middle of nowhere. Green New Jersey is a team whose fans think should be in the playoffs, smack dab in the middle of the worlds most rabid media market.

Short version: Sanchez will blow just as much as Leinart does, but you will hear A LOT more about it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

....or he could be Matt Cassel the other USC product that didn't play much.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Keep your eye on Cassell this year, Harley.

Watch closely.

I expect carnage, and lots of it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wpq3. Show wpq3's posts

Who knows. They are very different qb's.  The obvious is Sanchez has a gun for an arm.  He might be the next Favre, he might be the next Leinhart.  Just glad the Pat's ain't dumb enough to take a qb in the first 4 rounds.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Pmike, no doubt. Going from the Pats O with Moss,Welker,Faulk to the Chefs O... carnage indeed. But in two years I see MC playing decent ball once he has some help around him...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Will Sanchez prove to be another product of the USC system?  A QB surrounded by 1st round picks, I think so.  The Jets should have waited to draft a QB next season, because I see Sanchez taking the same road as Leinhart, a major bust.
    Posted by Grogan77

You couldn't be more wrong, sorry. Wishful on thinkin' on your part, me thinks.
    Linehart is not the athlete that Sanchez is. Linehart also has glaring character weaknesses that Sanchez does not. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

As with anything that happens with a New York sports team, the expectations will huge. Sanchez inherits a good O Line and a good running game (Jones and Washington) and mediocre receiving corps. I don't expect the Jets to make the playoffs and that is probably what the expectation is at this point. Kellen Clemons is not Kurt Warner. I think Sanchez has all the tools to succeed; I just think it'll be two or three years before that happens. I don't think he'll be as good as Ryan, but he'll be better than Leinhart. I could see O Brien type numbers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

I agree john-sanchez has no kurt warner on his team.if it wasnt for warner leinhart would be starting.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

Get a quarterback. Put a bunch (and I mean a BUNCH) of first rounds picks around him. Offense and defense. Then put that team in the Pac 10. Yea...I bet he'll look pretty good. But the NFL is a different animal. Does he have IT upstairs. That will be the determining factor in Sanchez. Just being an athlete is not enough. Not at quarterback.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Sanchez won't be that good.  Matt still has a chance to pull out of the tailspin he is in because he actually has the talent to... Sanchez will be a bust.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Matt Cassel would say that there's nothing wrong with USC, other than they done him wrong for four long years.

Cassel had no college game experience.  Then he sat at the feet of the masters for three long years, learning a playbook cold, memorizing the videotape of every player in the AFC East, taking 50,000 five step drops at pro speed, lifting the weights for thousands of cycles through the weight room.  When he took the field, the national press called him a rookie.  Not quite.

Shorty Sanchez had 16 whole games of college game experience.  Not much.  Now he's going to sit at the feet of defensive genius Rex Ryan (who didn't study offense that much) and at the feet of guru quarterback Kellen Clemens, for another 4 whole months.  Then he's going to step on that field and run his new NFL offense not at college speed, which he hasn't seen that much of, but at pro speed.  In week 2 he's going to meet over-height bull rushers Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Wilfork, Brace too in the 4-3 against NYJ's running game, and linebackers TBA, with the world's most complex defensive scheme fully in place.  And he's not going to have a prayer.  This isn't on-the-job learning, like Cassel got.  Sanchez will learn how to flinch week after week, how to get happy feet, how to pat the ball, how to telegraph where you're throwing.  I'd call him a poor sap but at least he'll be rich.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

Posted by Grogan77

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

None of us know how good or bad Sanchez will be at his point. They took their shot with him, and history shows that is about a 50-50 gamble on QBs.
    As for Cassel, he is very good and will mature. We did not get nearly what we should have for him in trade. Period. Let's not knock the guy now, simply because BB traded him away.
    Let's worry about our team and our guys.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

None of us know how good or bad Sanchez will be at his point. They took their shot with him, and history shows that is about a 50-50 gamble on QBs. As for Cassel, he is very good and will mature. We did not get nearly what we should have for him in trade. Period. Let's not knock the guy now, simply because BB traded him away. Let's worry about our team and our guys.
    Posted by BostonBobBlowhard

The only offer for Cassel was from the Chiefs, all Josh did was get rid of a young pro bowl QB, he never made a serious offer for Cassel.
    But be can agree that the Jets will stink next season, can't we Bob?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Sanchez has a rude awakening coming. He will be getting a huge contract, thus raising the expectations of fans and upper management alike. Ryan is a great defensive coach (when he doesn't call stupid timeouts), but he's always had free reign for his defense to win games...his QBs have merely had to be patient and careful. Everyone in NY will expect Sanchez to make a statement. With all that pressure (and a coach who wants him to simply manage the game), he's bound to make mistakes. Especially against teams run by BB and Parcells, who love to feast on inexperienced QBs. I won't predict how he will do, but he will certainly have some struggles. The best advice he's had was from Eli. If he can't shrug off the negative stuff he will be another Harrington or Leaf (that would be the perfect scenario for a Patriots fan). Time will tell, but he'll have to have a lot of mental toughness to succeed in this position.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

First, I don't mind if I am proven wrong, I hope he does well. 

But those of you singing Cassell's praises should be warned.  While it is no secret why he did not play for the pats, he certainly would have had his shots at SC and did not crack the starting line up.  there is a reason for that. 

For you who think his play was stellar last year, consider what your team did the previous year.  Even without Brady, the team should have won that many games.  In these days of quick turnarounds, it will be interesting to see how cassell does in KC.  I listened to a lot of radio who felt like Herm Edwards was doing a great job preparing the youngest team in the league for future success while knowing that he was going to fail immediately given the way the team was constructed last year.  

It is possible that the table is set much better for the chiefs to succeed this year.  With Denver down, Oakland always a question, San Diego may be the only thing standing in the way of KC success.  I think we will find out right away whether or not Cassell is good, servicable, or fortunate. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

In Sparano and Belichick Sanchez will go against two of the best defensive minds in the NFL. I haven't seen the Jets schedule (because I don't care about them)but if he has to face Jim Johnson or Dick Lebeau there could be trouble.

Sections
Shortcuts