Is Slater the key to the game?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Is Slater the key to the game?

I think the Pats have one of the best special teams in football. Unfortunately the one team that I think is better is the Ravens. 

Granted, the Pats defense is much improved, but does anyone think the Pats hold the Ravens under 25 points? Special teams cannot allow any points on the board, and they must make the Ravens use an 80 yard field to score. Can't give the Ravens short fields. This game is going to come down to the oline and field position. If the Pats can win the LOS and field position they win the game. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: Is Slater the key to the game?

On the importance scale,Slater is listed slightly below clean Jocks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

one would think that if they put zero thought into it, like you. Do you think Flacco has so many 80 yard drives in him with out turnovers? Do you really think this secondary can keep the Ravens under 25 points? It is imperative that the Ravens do not score on special teams, and play on an 80 yard field. Keeping Brady clean is priority #1, field position is priority #2

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

Turnovers are the key to the game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

I think McCourtey at safety limiting the big pass plays will be a key

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Slater the key?  For ST play, yes. He's always around the ball.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I agree that special teams cannot be a deciding factor in this game, if it is we are probably on the losing end. I can't remember the last time that unit did something big for us - I'm sure I'm just forgetting, but all I can remember are those big returns from the Texans and 49ers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Dude, Slater is an important player, but your post is some funny $hit!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I think the Pats have one of the best special teams in football. Unfortunately the one team that I think is better is the Ravens. 

Granted, the Pats defense is much improved, but does anyone think the Pats hold the Ravens under 25 points? Special teams cannot allow any points on the board, and they must make the Ravens use an 80 yard field to score. Can't give the Ravens short fields. This game is going to come down to the oline and field position. If the Pats can win the LOS and field position they win the game. 

I do. In fact, I think they will hold them to 17 points or fewer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

As far as Special Teams go, Ghost is far more important than Slater.  If he has wind at his back or even a crosswind he needs to put his KOs to the back of (or thru) the endzone.

And he needs to make every FG within 50 yards.  Probably a moot point over 50 because I doubt BB would trust him at 50+.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Which team was worse on special teams last week? The Pats gave up 3 big KO returns, but the Ravens gave up punt and KO  returns for touchdowns. Not sure I'd consider either of them elite right now. Pats need to do better covering kickoffs. Can't give the Ravens short fields after the Pats score, they need to make the Ravens earn every yard.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

From WEEI.com:

FOXBORO — Bill Belichick looks for leadership from his players in various ways. He looks for it on the practice field. He looks for it in the classroom and off the field.

He also looks for it when things don’t go well.

For the Patriots’ special teams unit, that would be last week. AndMatthew Slater is the captain of that unit. Slater was seen yelling and getting after his team after allowing several big plays last week in the 41-28 win over the Texans. It was about the only area of the game that didn’t go as planned.

They allowed a 94-yard kickoff return to Danieal Manning to open the game and another big return in the second quarter as the Texans scored a touchdown that gave them new life and momentum to cut the lead to 17-13 at the half.

The way Slater has handled himself in the five years he’s been with the Patriots hasn’t gone unnoticed by Belichick. He was voted special teams captain last year and earned the honor again this year. Slater, says Belichick, is the perfect candidate to stabilize the unit on the field.

“Matt has done a great job for us,” Belichick said on Friday. “He’s taken that role…in my time here I’ve been very fortunate to have two outstanding, I mean exemplary, players at leadership positions on special teams with Larry Izzo and Matt Slater. I thought that really when we had Larry that that was, there’d never be another one like that, that that was so rare and Matt’s different than Larry but I think in his own way equally effective. Matt’s really, he’s tremendous. His attitude, his work ethic, the example that he sets, the way he interacts with his teammates in a really good way.

“I don’t know that a player could do anymore than what he’s done for us in that role for the last several years, probably since after his second year. He’s embraced his role on the team, he’s been very good at it and he e makes other players around him better. I think that’s a great compliment to him and the job he does. He’s smart, he’s well prepared, he works hard, he has good skill, good talent, he’s tough, he’s a good playmaker for us. I could go on about him all day. We’re lucky to have him on this football team. He does a tremendous job for us.”

Slater’s attitude about putting the past in the past and keeping it there, after a game like last week, is exactly what Belichick is looking for.

“We’ve put that behind us,” Slater said of the two big returns by the Texans. “Once we got in here and watched the tape, we understand we didn’t perform the way we wanted to. We are fortunate enough to have an opportunity to go out and get that fixed. There’s no time to hang our head now going against arguably the best returner in the league after the year he had this year and a good special teams unit all around. We’ve been working hard to correct the issues that we had and hopefully we’ve got them fixed and we can go out and perform well on Sunday.”

This week, the special teams unit has no choice but to focus on this week with the dangerous Jacoby Jones and Ravens up next on Sunday. Jones not only caught the 70-yard game-tying touchdown at the end of regulation against the Broncos, he is one of the most explosive kick returners in the game. He had two kickoff returns for touchdowns this season and one punt return for a TD. He returned 38 kicks this season and averaged 30.7 yards.

“Obviously his speed, he’s got tremendous speed. Jacoby’s actually a taller, bigger guy for a returner,” Slater said. “He breaks a lot of tackles. He has a great feel for their scheme and what they’re trying to do. He runs hard, there’s no hesitation, when he sees something he goes. He’s very aggressive. He takes chances but they pay off. He does a lot of things well. He handles things well; handles situations great. We’ll have our hands full trying to cover him.

“The guys have been working hard all week to kind of give us a look at him. But I think a guy like that, he’s so unique that it’s hard to really know what it’s going to be like until we get in the game. We’ve watched a ton of film on him and the guys on the scout team have done a good job of giving us a good look. Like I said, Jacoby, his skill set is really unique. I don’t really think there’s a returner in the league with his physical presence because he’s such a big guy and the speed that he has. It’s tough to simulate but hopefully we’re getting a good look at it in practice and we’ll be ready on Sunday.”

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to nyjoseph's comment:

As far as Special Teams go, Ghost is far more important than Slater.  If he has wind at his back or even a crosswind he needs to put his KOs to the back of (or thru) the endzone.

And he needs to make every FG within 50 yards.  Probably a moot point over 50 because I doubt BB would trust him at 50+.

If the wind is at Ghost's back, that's fair. But if there are crosswinds of 25+ mph, I doubt BB will let Ghost even attempt a FG of beyond 35 yards.

In the Miami game, the Pats drove to the Miami 24 on the opening drive, then went for it on 4th and 6. Then, in the 2nd quarter, Kaeding of Miami tried a 41-yarder, that started out wide of the right goal post but ended up being blown wide left by the wind.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Wes needs to channel his Phil McConkey

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

No. And by the way our STs looked terrible last week