Is Terrence Wheatley = bust?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

Re: Is Terrence Wheatley = bust?

It might be. He is stuck playing on special teams, if he's even activated, and I can't say that I've even seen his impact there. As critical as some have been of Wilhite (fourth round pick), at least he's getting some playing time on defense.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Hes on that path, but I wouldnt say bust just yet. Think back to 'Saunte , I mean the things that people would say 'bout him..some were true. Corner is very hard to translate from college to the pros, I think wheatley still has a chance. I like his skill set, I like the quick, agile type of guys who play corner. Dont get me wrong, guys like prime, that are just flat out speed and more speed are great, but it takes more then those qualities to become a good pro. Which brings me back to Wheatley, I say go the 'Saunte route. He became who he is today through playing and learning zone. There was a point in time where he looked like he was going to be a glorified nickelback, and thats it. Some guys come in the league and tear it up from jump, like 81. Others it takes time. Also, one of the points I made earlier was that different positions, like R.B.'s/W.R.'s, have different time tables. R.B's can come in and run wild. Most rec. take time to develop, Moss and Q-B from Zona came in right away and, well, tore up the league. I mean 81 just ruined everyone that was across from him, 1313yrds and 17 td's, as a rookie, thats just stupid. And Q had maybe his best season, 1377 and 8 td's with a 101 catches is crazy. Corner is very different, the speed and size of pro rec.'s is redonkulis, imagine having to line up across from Fitz, Andre Johnson, Marshell, Moss, Q, all have size n speed. Then guys like D-Jack, Welker, who bring a different skill-set, just think 'bout how many actual cover guys there are in the NFL, and even the guys that you think of first Revis, Asomugha, Woodsen, Champ, Harris, all of them need help. None can take a guy one on one the whole game. Not even Nnamdi and the Raiders play man to man. I try and wait at least 3yrs before making a hard judgement. Ill wait til' next year and see what happens w/ him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

He's a late 2nd rounder, he's on the team that's about what you can expect from a pick like that.  Every draft pick can't be a star.  In fact it's mathematically impossible for them all to be starters.  A few guys a year will make the team and stay on for a while.  One or 2 guys a year will get starter spots.  It's not like he was a top 5 guy.  The expectations for a 2nd rounder are too low for them too ever become a bust.  I would guess BB thinks he is performing as expected, not better, not worse.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Again i would have to disagree, 2nd rders can mosdef be busts. In fact I would go as far as to say 3rd rders can be bust, after that no. But 2nd rd, mosdef, you have big expectations from those guys. 33 to say 65 are suppose to be very good players. Those guys are suppose to be the top 65 players coming from college. I mean if Chung or Brace fall off the map that would be terrible, not for us because of how many picks we have and the talent that we usually have on the team. Maybe its just me but 2nd and 3rd rders are a big, big key to developing and building a team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I would estimate the success of finding a starter(not necessarily starting as rookies but within 3 years) in the draft like this:  Starting at 100% for a 1st rounder and dropping by half for every round after that.  So a 50% chance for 2nd rounders, than 25% chance for third etc.  So I would expect the Pats to find 2 starters from thier 4 2nd rounders this year, but I wouldn't expect them to all be starters. 

And I would think at least one other guy from the late rounds starts at some point the next few years.  So I guess you could say they are busts but I sort of think some failures are expected just not too many.  Wheatley is not necessarily a failure yet, but he appears to be on his way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Perhaps, if the shoe fits.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Too many guys ahead of him now. If he works out on special teams he does have a little value should they get a rash of injuries at corner and could pull him in for dime package or something. I doubt he will ever be a starter on this team. 

Wilhite was the guy who showed a lot more potential last year. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

i disagree shenanigan, 
    second rounders (especially in BB's eyes) are no less valuable than first rounders.  if that were the case, the draft would only be one round...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

If Wilhite can't cover a bed with a bed-sheet and this guy was drafted ahead of him and Wilhite is ahead of him in the depth chart, what does that make Wheatley? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Murghkor=bust

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

posted at 1/1/2010 4:08 AM EST
    First: 8/23/2009
    Last: 1/1/2010
    If Wilhite can't cover a bed with a bed-sheet and this guy was drafted ahead of him and Wilhite is ahead of him in the depth chart, what does that make Wheatley? 

Funny but I was thinking a similar thought.  Just because Wilhite plays couldn't we still consider him a bust since he really really *sucks.Laughing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

Wilhite is a good Nickel back corner.  perfect in his current role.  Wheatley looked good last year, but got burned in preseason all the time this year.  basically a bust until he does something good

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Wheatley may be playing injured.  If so, he might get better next year.  Or maybe not, we'll see.

Anyone playing on an 11-5 or on a 10-6 team for two years gets an asterisk next to the "bust" label.  Last week 7-7 Jacksonville scored 0 points until the score was 35-0 and the Patriots' prevent tactics came out.  The week before, 5-8 Buffalo scored 3 points until the score was 17-3 late in the fourth quarter.  This implies that some pretty good defensive players have beaten Wheatley out for the job, and so maybe Wheatley could have started on Jacksonville's team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Funny but I was thinking a similar thought.  Just because Wilhite plays couldn't we still consider him a bust since he really really *sucks.

I can see why some think this way. What you don't seem to remember is Wilhite is not playing in a Rex Ryan high pressure D. So before we all anoint Revis or kill Wilhite let's look at what their been ask to do. As for Wilhite / Wheatly draft spots. Wheatly was coming back from surgery while he tried to make the leap to the pro's. Then he got hurt and went to IR. Wilhite played that time. But this is still basically his 1st year. I know as much as we all want to forget Hobbs and O'Neil played here last year.  It happened.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

No contribution after 2 years?

Yeah....he's a bust.

Wheatley is signed for 4 years.

How many good years should we expect from a 2nd rounder? If we only get 1 out of 4 years out of a 2nd roudner, then why bother. Just slide all our choices into the later rounds.

Asante was a good player from the start. You could easily see that he had an eye for the ball. I remember Rodney saying that after the rookie camp.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Wilhite has played well. Much better than Hobbs. I suppose most of you can't see the difference but Wilhite has had very good position and some great throws his way that you can't fault the coverage. Hobbs just outright got burned- often. Wilhite will develop into a decent starter but might be a few years away. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Hard to really tell as of now, but he does remind me of another sawed-off corner that was shipped to another team (Philly I think). When will BB stop drafting these dwarfs that can't cover their own shadow and draft some real corners?

Sections
Shortcuts