Is the O-Line at fault?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Is the O-Line at fault?

It seems like there are 2 types of running games in the NFL.  There's the usual run or play action where the defense isn't sure whether it's a pass or run until the play is going.  Then there's the 3rd or 4th and short where there's a power formation out and everybody knows it's a run. 

The 2nd type of power running which is generally just to get a yard or two is mostly dependant on the offensive line getting some kind of push so the RB can follow.  It seems to me the power running is where the Pats are failing miserably, every time it's 3rd and 2, they got a run for zero yards.  It's why the Pats running game puts up decent stats (they do) but never gets it done when it counts.  So yes, I think the O-line is the problem.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I saw the o-line as mismatched this year. Mankins, Kaczur and Neal were better run blockers, yet Koppen, Light and Vollmer were better in pass protection. I think that the physical, run first attitude starts at center, and Koppen does not excel in that aspect. They need a bigger center that gets off the line better than Koppen to run effectively. The running game w/b much improved with different center.
    Of course, if the Pats prefer to throw 40 times a game, Koppen is fine...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

In Response to Re: Is the O-Line at fault?:
    Three games basically ended last season because of Brady getting sacked. Two of those involved Kazcur. The other was Koppen.
    Posted by zbellino

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

well put! Kaczur and Koppen are not athletic, strong or tough. They really aren't NFL caliber players. Neal is good but injury prone. Light was godd til '06 now he can't play. If the pats don't sign JP, they should draft 3 tough OL this year

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

by imporving our O-line we will also be able to use our TE as TE's rather than just additional blockers because of our inadequate line's ability to keep brady upright on their own. It will also help our run game and passing game giving brady more time to throw and more time for WR's to get open. This will make our Offense more unpredictable and thus improve our offensive game overall.

Come on Bill please pick Veldheer, he will be the perfect RT for our offense. Go Pats!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

It looks like we will resign Wilfork so I'd say the Pats needs are

#1 Draft a defensive end who can collapse the pocket.
    #2 Starting right Guard and depth on the interior O-line.
    #3 linebacker
    #4 A wide out to compliment Moss.
    #5 Kick returner to replace Welker.
    #6 Tight end.

Belichick has been hording players and draft pick for two years now.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of last year's inactive players suddenly emerge in 2010.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

mungomunro~

I'm VERY close in thought with ya man...  BUT I go like this:

#1 Draft a defensive end who can collapse the pocket
    ~Ummm, Y-E-S (praying for Odrick)

#2 Starting right Guard and depth on the interior O-line.
    ~EITHER: Best pass-rushing weakside OLB OR imo Biggest then Fastest RB (Dwyer should be gone, but I can alway's dream...still-A Dixon (maybe), R Matthews, M Hardesty)...  (ALSO, IF Odrick gone's by selection #1, I'm going Dwyer in 1st/OLB here). 

#3 linebacker
    ~I'm praying we secure Dansby as SOLB in FA and hope Guyton/Crable can pull of weakside OLB...IN Otherwords, I HATE all even potential weakside OLBs at his juncture of NE's Draft placement selection (unless somehow, someway with emergence of Brandon Graham/Jason Pierre Paul, THEN Jerry Hughes slips this unbelievably far down/OR as ILBs have been slipping on a whole, so too slips ILB Brandon Spikes)...  If NO to both guys, I'm ideally going WR (Eric Decker) or O-Line OT Jared Veldheer/Tony Washington/or maybe-Sam Young depending on what happens with our OGs in free agency (maybe-Mike Johnson/John Jerry).

#4 A wide out to compliment Moss.
    ~SEE above- I'd probably secure an excellent WR @ #3 pick (NE's second 2nd rder) THEN get that OT/OG here (but it's all dependant on how draft played out).

#5 Kick returner to replace Welker.
    #6 Tight end.
    ~I go Tight End (perhaps Dennis Pitta) unless NE sees a good CB slipping (doubtful)...by selection #6 of NEs-he!! I don't even care IF we use them on trade bait or QBs, as long as the first bunch play out close to my liking (seriously though: O-Linemen/Punter/D-Linemen (or BestPA).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

We are drafting at the wrong Line with our first pick. Fix the D-line, fix the pass-rush, then fix the O-line. We have a good offense with the bad play of the Oline, but our defense can't stop anyone on the ground or through the air.

1st round pick has to be a RE, then Pass-rush, then OT. Move Kaczur inside to replace Neal, trade Light for a 3rd round pick and address the TE position with that pick (Maybe Tebow, he would make a good TE).

We won SBs with Brady coming through in the clutch, Seymour playing like a man possed, Willie-Mac punching QBs in the neck, and Ty Law snatching everything in sight. We still have Brady, but we don't have the other guys.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

I agree but i feel that we can o both this draft, 1st round: Odrick (DE/DT), 2nd round#1: Hughes (OLB) #2 Kyle Wilson or Warren (CB) #3 Dwyer/gerhart (RB) 3rd round: (trade for) Jarde Veldheer (OT) round 4: (TE)  round 7:Zoltan Mesko (P) and a (FB)

as you can see with the higher pick we take defensive players and with the lower picks we take offensive weapons this way both lines are addressed as needed. The only thing is it would require that we trade for a 3rd round pick possibly for light/thomas or trading down.