Is the Pats' offense carrying the defense AGAIN?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

Is the Pats' offense carrying the defense AGAIN?

Remember in 2007 when the offense's explosiveness was able to disguise the ineptitude and serious flaws of our defense until very late, esp against the Giants?
    This time, it seems like the offense is doing it again, this time in a very different fashion. The Pats lead the entire league by a mile in total minutes possessing the ball. The defense is off the field a lot, making them a top 10 defense by default. Wonder if this is Belichick's way to minimize exposing the defense for what they really are. I must ask esp when everyday another lineman or linebacker is in and out of Foxboro for one reason or another.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: Is the Pats' offense carrying the defense AGAIN?

OK, I wanted to say you were crazy for even posting this.  However, I also noticed this stat brought up by Reiss and Bruschi.  My thoughts:

1. "Perhaps" we are jumping the gun a bit over our D, and its good start.  I don't think so, but I guess you can't rule it out.

2. Even if our offense has been helping our D with a very high time of possession, I can't say they are carrying the D unless they score more points.  Our defense has still had to play well in light of the offensive problems (red zone) we have had.  

3. I'm more inclined to say our D has carried the O.  That said, the high time of possession by our O can't be totally ignored.  I guess if we didn't have red zone problems we would have scored a lot more.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

The defense is carrying the offense right now.

This year's defense has been a great surprise so far.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Great point but didn't the D hold Turner to 50-something and kept them idle for the second half? Also, when the O starts punching it in instead of settling for three it may open up more flexibility with the calls made on D.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeonLucky. Show LeonLucky's posts

Your QB is old and the defense is non existent!

I can't wait for Sunday!I'll be watching very closely as the fickle fanbase of NE starts to question BB and Brady agin!Just like they did after the Jets spanked the pats.

Baltimore wins in a laugher!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

I don't care if he's old or young as long it says Brady above #12. 

I can't wait either, I'll be sitting right in the end zone but I'll have a better view of 68,000 (unless ravenmad really brings his army) fans blowing my ear drums out cheering after a Pats 38-10 romping.

That Jets game should have been over in the first half. Any Jet fan alive was wiping his forehead in the first half thinking how lucky they were. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

In Response to Re: Is the Pats' offense carrying the defense AGAIN?:
    [QUOTE]Your QB is old and the defense is non existent! I can't wait for Sunday!I'll be watching very closely as the fickle fanbase of NE starts to question BB and Brady agin!Just like they did after the Jets spanked the pats. Baltimore wins in a laugher!
    Posted by LeonLucky[/QUOTE]new name-same troll-drop dead loser

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NE-decade-of-my-dreams. Show NE-decade-of-my-dreams's posts

In Response to Is the Pats' offense carrying the defense AGAIN?:
    [QUOTE]Remember in 2007 when the offense's explosiveness was able to disguise the ineptitude and serious flaws of our defense until very late, esp against the Giants? This time, it seems like the offense is doing it again, this time in a very different fashion. The Pats lead the entire league by a mile in total minutes possessing the ball. The defense is off the field a lot, making them a top 10 defense by default. Wonder if this is Belichick's way to minimize exposing the defense for what they really are. I must ask esp when everyday another lineman or linebacker is in and out of Foxboro for one reason or another.
    Posted by bubbakilla[/QUOTE]

This question goes both ways, in order for the Patriots to hold a time of possesion edge, the defense must stop the opposing teams' offense. That theory must be looked at equally on the other side of the ball as well. I believe in order to be at the top of the league in time of possesion, both the "D" and  the "O" has got to be doing thier job.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The Giants hold on to the ball longer than the Patriots. Isn't that the point of Football? Isn't the offense suppose to hold onto the ball and score, while the defense gets off the field as soon as possible? The D isn't suppose to stay on the field for 30 minutes. 30 minutes of play means that the opposing offense is having it's way with our defense. 

Maybe, our defense is just that damn good. The best defense is a well balanced offense. The only time the defense has given up a TD when the Patriots needed a stop was in the first game against Buffalo, and they scored on a screen pass. Guyton picks those up much better now. Against the Jets, they stop them 3 times in the fourth quarter, and only allowed 3 points. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In order to maintain that TOP, the defense stopped them on consective 3 and outs. Moreover, the offense was given two chances to convert on 4th down, thus lengthening the time.

If the defense doesn't squash the Falcons' offense, and they keep driving, the TOP evens out.

The nitpicking is insane. If they did let the Falcons stay on the field, gain more yardage, and managed to score the same points, I suppose that would be a more dominant effort than simply forcing three and outs?

This is the same as people complaining about a lack of turnovers. If they let the Falcons walk all over them, but manage an INT, that is better than just shutting em' down 3 and out over and over?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J109. Show J109's posts

[QUOTE]Remember in 2007 when the offense's explosiveness was able to disguise the ineptitude and serious flaws of our defense until very late, esp against the Giants? This time, it seems like the offense is doing it again, this time in a very different fashion. The Pats lead the entire league by a mile in total minutes possessing the ball. The defense is off the field a lot, making them a top 10 defense by default. Wonder if this is Belichick's way to minimize exposing the defense for what they really are. I must ask esp when everyday another lineman or linebacker is in and out of Foxboro for one reason or another.
    ridiculous question

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joeycee. Show Joeycee's posts

dude the d is much better than the o

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MudCityManglers. Show MudCityManglers's posts

[QUOTE]Your QB is old and the defense is non existent! I can't wait for Sunday!I'll be watching very closely as the fickle fanbase of NE starts to question BB and Brady agin!Just like they did after the Jets spanked the pats. Baltimore wins in a laugher!
    Posted by LeonLucky[/QUOTE]

Leon, if I may say this here, you couldn't get lucky in a Hoe House with a fistfull of Fifties!  It's quite obvious you are a troll and have no life but I will answer your rediculous statements!
    The New England Fan base as you call it is not fickle, you cannot have such a large group of fan base whose team's (Notice I said Team's, thats more than one for you !) win so much and so often be fickle. The term your looking for is called concern. When you have a product that is the best it can be, then you do not wish for the quality to drop off, and the fans here voice their concern's because they still HUNGER TO WIN!   As for Baltimore I will say this, Big Bill B. (The Real Grand Wizzard) will not be burnt twice, no no! You will see Mr. Taylor in some dump off screens slam run the football up your mighty Baltimore's GUTZ!  And the NEW no name defense will beging to throw it's unknown weight around. Please return after your Sunday losse's so that I may tell you that we told you so! Now go along and play or your gonna get a time out!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgolden13. Show mgolden13's posts

Its pretty simple guys...Third down defense.  The Pats have allowed only 9 of 30 third downs to be converted into first downs.  Now I am not going to deny that the offensive TOP has helped our D, but lets give the D some credit for getting off the field on 3rd down.  We are ranked 7th (30% converted) in the league on 3rd down conversion % this season as oppossed to 26th (44.4% converted) last season.  So far this is a huge improvement over last season. 

What I would like see shrink is the 5.9 yd/play we give up on defense.  Which I think will happen when the D has time to gel.  The coaches need to get a feel for what each player is fully capable of doing so we can begin to utilize the aggressive schemes we all miss watching each Sunday. 

Remember the season is a marathon and not a sprint.  You want to be playing your best football starting in November.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is the Pats' offense carrying the defense AGAIN? : Leon, if I may say this here, you couldn't get lucky in a Hoe House with a fistfull of Fifties!  It's quite obvious you are a troll and have no life but I will answer your rediculous statements! The New England Fan base as you call it is not fickle, you cannot have such a large group of fan base whose team's (Notice I said Team's, thats more than one for you !) win so much and so often be fickle. The term your looking for is called concern. When you have a product that is the best it can be, then you do not wish for the quality to drop off, and the fans here voice their concern's because they still HUNGER TO WIN!   As for Baltimore I will say this, Big Bill B. (The Real Grand Wizzard) will not be burnt twice, no no! You will see Mr. Taylor in some dump off screens slam run the football up your mighty Baltimore's GUTZ!  And the NEW no name defense will beging to throw it's unknown weight around. Please return after your Sunday losse's so that I may tell you that we told you so! Now go along and play or your gonna get a time out!
    Posted by MudCityManglers[/QUOTE]

Nice try, but i'm afraid that is way over Leon's head.  He is like a parrot who can only repeat words and has no ability to reason.  Maybe we should start calling him "Polly".

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Or maybe bmorecityboy

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]Or maybe bmorecityboy
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

Nah, Polly is just a DUMMY, but that guy is SICK!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Has anyone splashed a Raven site? Is there anyone over there that can use stats to speak for their team or are they all just going to take it off the field?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

If you consider that the Pats' most recent epic failures have been at least partially the result of defenses that could not make one crucial stop in the final minute of a conference championship and a Super Bowl -- which could be attributed to some degree to conditioning issues (which is in turn the result of a lack of depth at certain positions) -- the value of time-of-possession cannot be underestimated. Whether the offense is actually carrying the defense or the other way around doesn't really matter. I look at it this way -- it is impossible for you to defeat me if I have the ball.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

With the Red Zone offense scoring TDs in 4 of 13 tries....not so good. Our defense, although not as good or bad as extremists is holding its own for now - but it would be nice for the offense to score some early TDs (not field goals) to take some of the pressure off so that we have time to get better.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PurpleKoolaid. Show PurpleKoolaid's posts

We're talking about a team that was handed a gift against the Bills. If they lose that game, everyone would have the Ravens favorite by 10 points.

The Pats are done, stick a fork in 'em. Belli-cheat luck ran out ever since the Giants changed their play calling in the Superbowl.

The Ravens have a prolific offense. No reason to belive that an old and shaky NE defense can stop them. 2 years ago in Baltimore McGahee ran for over 100 yards in the first half. Look for that happening again. If you have McGahee on your fantasy team, start him.

The Ravens defense steps up big when it has to. The book is out on Brady. The Jets aka Ravens North put out the blueprint.

Ravens 31 - Patriots 17 (10 Pats points in junk time)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

A.  The Pats' offense is deliberately beating the tar out of other teams' defenses, especially Atlanta's last week, just grinding them up like cute baby peep peeps in a clandestinely filmed PETA movie.  Atlanta's defense enjoyed going backwards for a monster 81 plays.  Ouch!  Where else in the NFL does a completely pass-happy team love 10, 15 and 20 play drives? 

B.  With all of those quality defensive players recently pouring into the lineup from the drafts, and with all of those defensive free agents, the defense will jell when it gets good and ready. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]We're talking about a team that was handed a gift against the Bills. If they lose that game, everyone would have the Ravens favorite by 10 points. The Pats are done, stick a fork in 'em. Belli-cheat luck ran out ever since the Giants changed their play calling in the Superbowl. The Ravens have a prolific offense. No reason to belive that an old and shaky NE defense can stop them. 2 years ago in Baltimore McGahee ran for over 100 yards in the first half. Look for that happening again. If you have McGahee on your fantasy team, start him. The Ravens defense steps up big when it has to. The book is out on Brady. The Jets aka Ravens North put out the blueprint. Ravens 31 - Patriots 17 (10 Pats points in junk time)
    Posted by PurpleKoolaid[/QUOTE]

1.) A FF isn't a hand wrapped win. Skills are required to force a fumble. 
    2.) The Ravens don't have a prolific offense. They just haven't faced a good team this season. 
    3.) We don't have an old defense, haven't you heard the pundits? We allegedly, got rid off all our older players. Now we've lost too much. 
    4.) Two years ago, Mcghaee ran on the 32 year old LB corps. This is a new, younger defense. They shutdown Michael Turner, Leon Washington, and Thomas Jones who are all better RBs than Willis. 
    5.) The Jets put the blueprint out on how to beat Tom Brady, not the New England Patriots. We are becoming a balanced offense. Your Ravens have a weak secondary, the Pats have an incendiary pass offense. Look for Brady to expose such a weakness.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

It would be nice to see more touchdowns than fieldgoals for sure, but the defense looks stought and the offense seems to be getting better every week.. Leon is obviously scared of the patriots and he knows it.. how is being 32 years old as a quarterback OLD exactly leon if tom brady is old then  peyton manning is old shut up leon and watch the pats beat the ravens to a bloody pile of what use to look like joe flacco..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MudCityManglers. Show MudCityManglers's posts

[QUOTE]We're talking about a team that was handed a gift against the Bills. If they lose that game, everyone would have the Ravens favorite by 10 points. The Pats are done, stick a fork in 'em. Belli-cheat luck ran out ever since the Giants changed their play calling in the Superbowl. The Ravens have a prolific offense. No reason to belive that an old and shaky NE defense can stop them. 2 years ago in Baltimore McGahee ran for over 100 yards in the first half. Look for that happening again. If you have McGahee on your fantasy team, start him. The Ravens defense steps up big when it has to. The book is out on Brady. The Jets aka Ravens North put out the blueprint. Ravens 31 - Patriots 17 (10 Pats points in junk time)
    Posted by PurpleKoolaid[/QUOTE]

Wow, Hey Koolaids..... lol!
    Ahhh, I don't recall the Bill's just letting Brady throw not 1 but 2 Touchdown passes, and the Special Teams getting the ball by Hitting Hard and taking the ball away. You must have watched a different game than we did. If it had been Pittsburgh or the Ravens that had done this, you would have said how wonderful the quaterback was to throw 2 touchdown passses so quickly and what a special teams you had. Talk is cheap, and so is someone as yourself running your fingers in here when you more than likely never played a game of tackle football in your life, and now your a Las-Vegas Sports Bookie telling us what will be? LOL! Hey can you tell us the Lotto numbers for this week?

Sections
Shortcuts