Is the preseason too long?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Is the preseason too long?

Wouldnt it be better if each team had 2 scrimages followed by a game like the Pats have done this year? If they go to an 18 game season I can't see any other way. 4 games IMHO is too many. Its just asking for injurys to happen, or paying top rate to see a game where the starters hardly play, if at all.

I like the scrimage idea, I think it gives the practice an added level of intensity.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: Is the preseason too long?

I think eventually they'll change to the 18 games. They seem to be hinting at it every year. They can get more cash that way from TV and other outlets and that's what it's all about. They will probably want to start playing more games over in Europe and maybe Japan too.
    I don't know whether it's good or not. On one hand I wish they would start the season in August, but on the other hand will Players actually be ready or does that mean they will extend training camp too?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

In Response to Is the preseason too long?:
    [QUOTE]Wouldnt it be better if each team had 2 scrimages followed by a game like the Pats have done this year? If they go to an 18 game season I can't see any other way. 4 games IMHO is too many. Its just asking for injurys to happen, or paying top rate to see a game where the starters hardly play, if at all. I like the scrimage idea, I think it gives the practice an added level of intensity.
    Posted by Philskiw[/QUOTE]

"Follow the Money!" 8 games will hurt the NFL. Players hurt at end of season, shorter careers, blows out any comparison to old records, are just a few of the points. But, if the league, (Read Owners) makes more money, it will be an 18 game season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Is the preseason too long?:
    [QUOTE]Well I am not on the same page with you at all Ewhite, I know whether its good or bad and its BAD 100%. People have it good with the 16 game schedule and the play-offs and you just watch, WHEN they switch to the 18 game schedule which they will do very soon injury's will go up and good teams will miss the super bowl because someone went down late in the season. Its a very stupid move and the only people who like the idea are greedy fans and greedy owners. The players hate it and most of the media think its a horrible idea.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

Not disagreeing with you because I don't particularly care but just out of curiousity, Who are the greedy fans? The fans don't get any money out of it.

BTW- I didn't take a position one way or the other so I'm trying to figure out why  You disagree with me one way or the other.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]My bad I just meant I knew were i stood on the subject my bad bro. And by greedy fans I just mean there are people who will say "More football give me more football" and not even think about it and that is greedy. It will ruin the game and anyone who has sat down and thought about it agrees its a bad idea. That is all I meant.

NP..I don't even disagree. Most of the changes the NFL makes skkrew the fans. I despise all the night games because I have to get up around 4 -4:30 every morning and it usually F#$cks up my day the next day. The overseas games mess with the teams that have to go over and play and the money you have to pay for parking and seats priced me out of my season tickets a while back. I have no love for these guys I just like watching the games.I actually wish they would start the season a week or 2 earlier like they used to but I know it's about dragging the season out as long as they can because they have figured out how to turn money on exhibition games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecodwilly. Show capecodwilly's posts

Why not just add one game to the regular season? The third preseason game is usually like the dress rehearsal for the starters and the fourth game is usually just the scrubs game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I like it the way it is. Teams need time to evaluate players.

If they add regular season games and shorten the preseason then they should expand the rosters, at least for the first few games.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Well . . .  they're already playing 20 games and, unless I'm mistaken, season-ticket holders pay full admission to the "exhibitions," so the fans and the players are already getting jobbed. I'm actually in favor of the longer season, if the rosters are expanded. Established players keep coming up with new and better ways to avoid camp anyway, and the last preseason game is a "cool-down" in any case. I wouldn't be a bit suprised if the 18-game season is used as a bargaining chip against a rookie wage scale (which veteran players and owners both want) and some kind of guarantee that a percentage of revenue will be used on players' salaries, and probably some species of pension reform, as well.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not versed on all the issues involved or the machinations of the collective bargaining agreement, but the owners want the 18-game season, and they want it soon . . .  and in my experience, cabals of millionaires tend to get what they want.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I wish there were football year round, but I realize that unless they find a way to decrease injuries this will be a tough sell to the players. 

What I'm afraid would happen is that the NFL would increase safety by adding more rules about how and when and what is a clean hit.  We would have a bunch of sort of contact judgement calls like the NBA where the validity of the calls and outcome of the game are left to the abstract judgement of the officials. 

So if more football actually  leads to less football, than I am not in favor of it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

i think they need to dump a game, help reduce injuries. 3 games shouold be enough to assess the talent nowadays

heck i remember when preason was 6 games-that was too long

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

[QUOTE]Well I am not on the same page with you at all Ewhite, I know whether its good or bad and its BAD 100%. People have it good with the 16 game schedule and the play-offs and you just watch, WHEN they switch to the 18 game schedule which they will do very soon injury's will go up and good teams will miss the super bowl because someone went down late in the season. Its a very stupid move and the only people who like the idea are greedy fans and greedy owners. The players hate it and most of the media think its a horrible idea.

So Killa,  Your not for the extra games because they may affect the quality of the Super Bowl but your OK with the Super Bowl being played in snow......which will affect the quality of the game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]18 games is stupid and will only hurt the game. More players will be hurt come playoff time and the playoffs will start to s*ck just wait and see.Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

i don't like 18 games either. i could buy into 17 with a couple exhibitions

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Don't let Goodell mess it up further, leave not well enough alone.

The coaches need that 4th game to assess the rookies, who stays /who goes,cuts, practice squad, etc., Most coaches would tell you 4 games is barely enough.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

A few thoughts here...
     1. I don't know any Head Coaches or Personel Chiefs who have said they need more then two games to evaluate the team.
     2. I would think they would have to expand the roster a little to account for the injury and other issues like making sure they can "spell or rest" players a bit more due to lengthening the season.
    3. It means more money for the owners and thus more available for the players so I don't think this is a bad deal. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

[QUOTE]Tcal playing the game in the snow to me is old school and i love it. All it does is make p*ssy dome teams step up their game and be less of a p*ssy. A longer schedule will bring more injury's, how would you feel if Brady got hurt in one of the last 3 games of an 18 game schedule and missed the play-offs because he got hurt playing in a game that should have been a playoff game? I would be *pissed. What if the Pats went the whole year only losing 2 games and were clearly the best team in the league and then in one of the new late season games a few players got hurt and the Pats got bounced from the play-offs? I would be *pissed. 18 games is not necessary at all it is only being considered because the owners want more money and F*CK THEM AND THEIR WALLETS. 18 games is BAD FOR FOOTBALL plain and simple. A snow game in the super bowl is not bad for football, people will talk about the snow super bowl for years to come and in no way is bad for the sport. People who dont like watching low scoring defensive football and s*ck my small Irish c*ck cause that is the way the game should be played, and was played before they added all these puss puss rules so that the offense could rule the sport.

Great post, except for the small irish c*ck part,  the rest was great though lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]18 games is stupid and will only hurt the game. More players will be hurt come playoff time and the playoffs will start to s*ck just wait and see. And no the pre season is not too long, the NFL has no minor league there is no farm system so the pre season is the on place most guys get a chance to make the team. It gives coaches a chance to make a choice on bubble players and they need that. The only thing wrong with pre season games is that the greedy owners still charge full price for tickets to pre season games.

And expanded roster equals diluted talent pool. Add that to the injuries and you get more and more players who couldn't make teams today playing for some team during an 18 game season. It dilutes the product.

And just who is complaining that the pre-season games don't have the same energy that regular season games do as the NFL claims in its argument? The only fans I see complaining are the season ticket holders who are forced to pay full price for games that aren't the calibre of regular season games. The obvious solution to that is to 1. lower pre-season ticket prices and/or don't make them mandatory for season ticket holders. Problem solved.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I'll say the pre-season is only too long for the fans. For the coaches and players especially those trying to prove themselves 4 games is just right. Anyone remember back when there were 6 preseason games?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]Wouldnt it be better if each team had 2 scrimages followed by a game like the Pats have done this year? If they go to an 18 game season I can't see any other way. 4 games IMHO is too many. Its just asking for injurys to happen, or paying top rate to see a game where the starters hardly play, if at all. I like the scrimage idea, I think it gives the practice an added level of intensity.
    I do NOT want an 18 game schedule.  I think we are going to get one, but I don't see how this will make things better.  I guess you would need 60 players, and at least 54 active to do this, and yes, you get more money, but you must spend more also.  I like things the way they are.  Hard enough to make it through to the playoffs in one piece.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I don't think it's easy to evaluate players with just two or three games.

Troy Brown pointed out that he wouldn't have made the team if it hadn't been for the 3rd & 4th preseason games, where he finally impressed Parcells.

Don't be greedy, NFL.  I don't want to watch the playoffs where half of the players are backups because all of the starters are hurt.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

If you have some scrimages then your not going against your own guys which is an evaluation. You can do a lot of situational work and different packages.