Is the release of drafted veterans an indictment of the people doing the drafting?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Is the release of drafted veterans an indictment of the people doing the drafting?

Or, is it an indictment of the talent level of the draft classes themselves?

I read here, on this message board, how certain years the Pats drafted all busts and those guys are no longer on the team. Then I read other places that a lot of the teams that drafted around the same rounds as the Pats have also let all the guys they drafted that year go. Should we really be looking at the talent level present in each years draft before we villify the folks doing the drafting? I think it should be taken into consideration but I never really read about it here on this message board.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Re: Is the release of drafted veterans an indictment of the people doing the drafting?

I think the problem some of the draftniks have is that BB does whatever he wants.  There are times when it seems he takes a player at a high spot that he could have let drop and got lower or waited for them to be UDFA.  I think it is more of the spot than the player.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Re: Is the release of drafted veterans an indictment of the people doing the drafting?

In response to csylvia79's comment:

I think the problem some of the draftniks have is that BB does whatever he wants.  There are times when it seems he takes a player at a high spot that he could have let drop and got lower or waited for them to be UDFA.  I think it is more of the spot than the player.

I know what you mean and agree with you. I also like your avatar. But I was refering to the guys that list all the players drafted by the pats by the year they were drafted and noting that all thos players are gone. One that I remember was the 2006 draft. yeah we got rid of all those guys. But the Colts got rid of all the guys they drafted that year too only they got rid of them a year earlier than the Pats. I think I read that Green Bay did the same thing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Well 2006 is a fair bit off when considering average length of a football career. 17 of the first round became probowlers. Greenbay got A.J. Hawk and Colts got Joseph Addai. I guess its all semantics but DeAngelo Williams, MJD, Addai... and others were available. would have could have should of... but there was plenty of talent in various rounds in that draft that are still in the NFL.

I guess it comes down to... Do you think the Pats could have drafted better in a given year which then changes the needs for future draft and so... nobody can be right or wrong it is all conjector. 

Sections
Shortcuts