Is there a Revis or Asomugha in the next draft?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

Is there a Revis or Asomugha in the next draft?

I havent been following college football this year. Are there any shutdown corners available in this years draft.   If there is, Belichick needs to trade the OAK 2011 pick and move up in the draft to take that guy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: Is there a Revis or Asomugha in the next draft?

This is projected to be a very very weak CB draft. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

Should have resigned Asante Samuel.   Bill Belichick seems to think that he can replace any quality player with a guy drafted in the 5th round.  Samuel was a great find in the later round but that doesnt mean a player like that can be found in the draft every year.

Why isnt Springs seeing more action this year? What was the point of giving him a 3 year contract.  He couldnt possibly play worse than Butler in  the last game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

In Response to Re: Is there a Revis or Asomugha in the next draft?:
    Should have resigned Asante Samuel.   Bill Belichick seems to think that he can replace any quality player with a guy drafted in the 5th round.  Samuel was a great find in the later round but that doesnt mean a player like that can be found in the draft every year. Why isnt Springs seeing more action this year? What was the point of giving him a 3 year contract.  He couldnt possibly play worse than Butler in  the last game.
    Posted by Spetznaz24

The Patriots, like every other team, have to operate under the constraints of the salary cap.  If they signed Samuel, they would have to let someone else go.  They made a difficult decision to let him go.  They can't sign every player they want. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Asomugha may be traded at some point if he ever wants a championship (although everything I read about him describes him as a humble player and person who'd never ask to be traded - ).  He showed up in the Rumor mill columns even after signing his mega-contract.  If the future of the NFL is uncapped, then the Patriots might be able to take on his $15 million / year, but right now they'd have to make a lot of sacrifices elsewhere for him to fit under the cap.  I can dream about the Pats acquiring him anyway...  Here's some good reading on Asomugha:

I like Sean Mays, the safety from USC.  He's 6'3" and 240, but still runs with 4.4-4.5 speed, but is expected to be a top 5 pick.

Otherwise, it's a strong draft for defensive linemen at the top, and a deep crop of quarterbacks from what I can tell (especially if Bradford declares, too).

Maybe someone will fall to them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Springs is ancient. Weak CB draft unless you get a safety you can convert to RCB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Irkillendem. Show Irkillendem's posts

We have some good CBs, we just need some pash rush. As much as I'd like us to get Rolando McClain to put alongside Mayo we need an edge rusher.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoLaN87. Show NoLaN87's posts

Sorry to get OT, but that Bradford being a good quarterback comment makes me laugh. I have no idea why everyone thinks he is so good. Did you watch him in the Championship game last year? He did not call any plays or point out any blitz pickups at all at the line, instead he went to the line, then had three coaches on the sidelines telling him what he should do. He put up good numbers last year, but he also had the best recieving corp of any school.

Like everyone else said, no great projections coming out at CB, but you never know... maybe BB will grab a QB or a wrestler and convert him to a shutdown RCB

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Sorry to get OT, but that Bradford being a good quarterback comment makes me laugh. I have no idea why everyone thinks he is so good. Did you watch him in the Championship game last year? He did not call any plays or point out any blitz pickups at all at the line, instead he went to the line, then had three coaches on the sidelines telling him what he should do. He put up good numbers last year, but he also had the best recieving corp of any school. Like everyone else said, no great projections coming out at CB, but you never know... maybe BB will grab a QB or a wrestler and convert him to a shutdown RCB
    Posted by NoLaN87

I barely watch college football.  I don't waste my time on f*cktarded "leagues" where three undefeated teams won't get to play for a championship and two of them who "major" programs wouldn't schedule because they were afraid to get embarrassed (and who would rather play the likes of Chattanooga) get exiled to play each other because yet again the "major" programs won't play them.  I also think you could teach f*ck*ng monkeys to run the option.

My point wasn't that he was good - it was that he would be picked high and that would mean that another player might slip down the draft board for the Patriots.

That is all.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I think we should focus on OLBs before we get any CBs. I bet our secondary would look a lot better if the QB didn't have 10 seconds to throw every play.

Are there any big name CBs expected to hit free agency? We should resign Bodden to an extension. He's been good enough to keep around and I wouldn't want to be forced to start Wilhite and Butler together yet. Too bad Wheatley is looking like a bust.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

Bodden has been okay but got burned badly in the last game. When the Phins were in the red zone, the wide reciever ran to the back of the red zone and Bodden left him to get to the QB.  He was lucky to tip the ball or it would've been a touchdown.  But the 2nd time again he got caught in the front of the red zone while the reciever ran behind him and caught the touchdown.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

I think we should focus on OLBs before we get any CBs. I bet our secondary would look a lot better if the QB didn't have 10 seconds to throw every play. Are there any big name CBs expected to hit free agency? We should resign Bodden to an extension. He's been good enough to keep around and I wouldn't want to be forced to start Wilhite and Butler together yet. Too bad Wheatley is looking like a bust.
    Posted by magicalhobo

I agree... build up the DB's to stop the run and improve the pass rush (hell at this point I'll take ANY pass rush) and that will help out the secondary in a big, big way.

Sections
Shortcuts