Is There a Role for Willie McGinest?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Is There a Role for Willie McGinest?

The Pats have drafted not one, but two guys that have similar profiles to Willie McGinest and how they may be used by BB - Chandler Jones and Jake Bequette.

Do you think BB might invite Willie back?   Maybe just to the camp rather than a perrmanent role on the staff so he can "tutor" these guys under Pepper Johnson.

A lot of people on the board wanted to keep Faulk around in some capacity if/when he retires.   Why not bring back Willie?

BTW:  The recent twitter spat with WW is not of any consequence IMO.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Re: Is There a Role for Willie McGinest?

BB has generally been hesistant to enlist "recent" former players in that type of capacity, partly because I think alot of splits have ended rather unceremoniously, but also I think he is cognizant that every team has to build its own identity.  Bring back too much of the old guard and you'll just start living in the past again, I got love for Willie Mac but I don't think he's needed around the razor anymore.  Andre Carter has all the experience Willie had, I don't think bringing him back would unearth anything special that can't be coached up by BB and staff.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

IMO, if any of the former greats had any interest in seriously getting into coaching, BB would be happy to have them.  But, keep in mind, the job sucks, long hours and the players know it.  I'm not convinced many guys actually want to do it. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

seems big willie style has a good gig on the network

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

It would be nice to have the all time playoff sack leader on the side lines, but Big Willie looks happy with his 9-5er!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In Response to Re: Is There a Role for Willie McGinest?:
    [QUOTE]IMO, if any of the former greats had any interest in seriously getting into coaching, BB would be happy to have them.  But, keep in mind, the job sucks, long hours and the players know it.  I'm not convinced many guys actually want to do it. 
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  I see the opportunity more like spring training in baseball.  A lot of ex-players are not full-fledged coaches, but they can stop by for a week or two to help out.  I know in Boston Williams and Yaz did this. In basketball, Jabbar and Walton do this etc. etc.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

In Response to Re: Is There a Role for Willie McGinest?:
    [QUOTE]IMO, if any of the former greats had any interest in seriously getting into coaching, BB would be happy to have them.  But, keep in mind, the job sucks, long hours and the players know it.  I'm not convinced many guys actually want to do it. 
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]
    good point, absolutely brutal hours.  Willie is getting plenty of money on NFLNW and seems happily retired anyways.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from No-Mercy-Defence. Show No-Mercy-Defence's posts

couple months back I spoke with Rodney Harrison Via twitter and asked him if he would be willing to take a job with the patriots as a DB coach and he said he would but it all come's down to bill making the phone call. I'm pretty sure willie would love to come coach for the pat's but kraft or bill need to pick up the phone if they really think he/they could improve that area of the team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I agree with the overall thought stream here... They don't "need" any of these past players to come back but would probably entertain the thought if they had an interest and on top of that most players don't want to put in the grueling hours... however on a short term temporary coaching assignment for training camps lets say I think that is a possibility.
    And if that was the case I would want Willie Mac, Rodney Harrison, Teddy Bruschi on Defense and on Offense I would go with Kevin Faulk, Troy Brown, and how about bringing John Hannah back for some tutoring on technique for the young inside linemen?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think they may bring Carter back just to mentor these guys. Carter might have a very similar game and personality as Jones. Bequette to me is closer to a Vrable type.

But, in general BB never brings back former players he coached to be coaches. Faulk imo might be one of the only guys he might do that with, considering their relationship and the respect Faulk still carries with this team

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

I mean there is a lot that goes into a player being a coach. If Rodney, Willie or whoever were to come back to coach it would be I feel when Bill is gone and retired. 

Those are his players. His players when Bill is gone will come onto the staff and help out with the even newer group of Patriots. Till then I really don't see it. Unless someone asks which I doubt Rodney, Willie, Troy, Tedy or really any of them will go out of their way to ask.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from No-Mercy-Defence. Show No-Mercy-Defence's posts

In response to "Re: Is There a Role for Willie McGinest?": [QUOTE]I mean there is a lot that goes into a player being a coach. If Rodney, Willie or whoever were to come back to coach it would be I feel when Bill is gone and retired.  Those are his players. His players when Bill is gone will come onto the staff and help out with the even newer group of Patriots. Till then I really don't see it. Unless someone asks which I doubt Rodney, Willie, Troy, Tedy or really any of them will go out of their way to ask.   Posted by Pancakespwn[/QUOTE] Like what i mentioned earlier when i was tweeting back and forth with Rodney he told me that he would help coach the secondary but bill Has to pick up the phone and ask if rodney wants to help coach. No player Will offer to coach just to be told that they dont need him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Playing ability is not correlated with coaching ability.  We don't even know if Willie Mac is interested in giving up his cushy ESPN gig, but even if he was you can't assume he'd be some brilliant coach.

15. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts