Is there an explanation for this madness?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisSheehan. Show ChrisSheehan's posts

Donkey's who get mad about the draft are donkeys

In Response to Re: Is there an explanation for this madness?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is there an explanation for this madness? : Sorry man but the D was the biggest weakness last year and the OL is falling apart now. They didn't address any of those needs much like after 08 when people were crying for pass rush and 09 when people were crying for pass rush and after 10 when people were crying for pass rush. Solder is a solid pick and so is Vereen Ras has more missed games since HS then gams he's played. We only dress 3 RB's a game are you telling me Ridley will take Woodhead, BGE, or Vereens spot? Mallett might not even see a snap in the league if he can't grow up and get his act together. Face it, you take the 2010 draft out and the Pats haven't had a good draft from 06-09. The Jets trading up have had better drafts then us over the last 5 years. This is disturbing
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]
    Only a donkey or Mike Felger would claim anything the Jets do is superior to the Patriots.  Fact is the Jets draft big names.  Pats just keep winning. Revis a good deal? Sure if you want him to sit out a year and hold the team ransom for loot. Which is exactly why BB doesn't need or want him. Sanchez a good pick? Nope.You donkeys take the Jets. Im going with the P-A-T-S Patriots

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

Re: Is there an explanation for this madness?

[QUOTE]EXACTLY,  IF the PATRIOTS had DRAFTED even AVERAGE in 2006 and 2007, they would have won the freaking Super Bowl in one of those 2 years. Remember in 2006 they pooped out against the Colts in Indy in the second half. In Response to Re: Is there an explanation for this madness? :
    Posted by Benkarkis[/QUOTE]

To use you term, yes the Pats "pooped out" against the Colts.  But consider the following

1.  The Colts were also a very good team, playing at home with a franchise QB.  Everyone knew it would be a close game.
    2.  Despite having essentially no NFL quality WR's, if Washington catches the pass in the end zone, the Pats win
    3.  Despite the above, if the PI is call on the Pat's final drive, the Pats win (1st and goal at the 1 instead of FG and giving the ball to Manning with time on the clock)

I think any reasonable analyzer of football will admit that the Pats were the better team, but the Colts got the breaks and won (kinda like the Pats last two PO games where they lost to inferior teams.  But inferior teams win PO games all the time).

Winning the SB takes talent, skill, coaching and luck and breaks.  There are 31 other teams who are "on scholarship" and they too are trying to win the SB.  Sometimes you get the breaks and win (tuck rule) and sometimes you don't (no PI called).  So take a chill pill and be glad you don't have to root for most other NFL teams, say like the Texans who are the local team here.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from afsound. Show afsound's posts

In Response to Is there an explanation for this madness?:
    [QUOTE]I would like for ANYONE to defend Belichick right now. Please do. It is simply idiotic what the Pats are doing. Haven't we learned anything from past years?  This draft is a complete joke, one of the worst any team has had. How can one explain this? We all knew what the need was. A DE, OLB, WR.  Everyone knew we desperately needed a DE and a OLB. Yet BB doesnt know that?! You have got to be kidding me if you think it's alright to go into a season with such a weak D line. 1st round, 17th pick. can understand going with an OT. Could've taken Cameron Jordan. 28th pick- why trade it away if you can get Hayward, and he went to Steelers. Steelers know a thing or two about great LB's. Why pick a CB with 33th pick? We have McCourty and Bodden. Pretty Solid. What are they thinking drafting a RB? I thought we were fine with Ellis and Woohead. If they really want  a RB, why not take the best one in the draft, Ingram?! The 3rd round was simply a disgrace. So now we need a 2nd running back. He will be the 4th best running back on this team. That can be had in 6th round. Also wasted a pick on Mallett. So now a QB was our need? 3rd round pick who wont play in the next 4 years. I dare any of you to defend this nonsnece. Anyone remember wasting a 3rd round pick on Kevin O'Connell. Unbelievable. Belichick has simply lost his mind. Either he is not thinking straight or he has lost it when it comes to defense.  Apparently BB thinks its not neccesary  to have a defense like Packers, Steelers.Washington just selelcted Hankerson. How can anyone argue that this wouldn't be a better pick than Mallett or the 2nd rb we took?   Hope the Pats have fun with the marshmallow defense next year and midget WR's.
    Posted by Spetznaz24[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from afsound. Show afsound's posts

The defense for what the Pats did is simple.
    Belichick is more aware than any fan or "expert" on what is best for this franchise, for next year and beyond. The season doesnt start tomorrow, there are going to be a free agent pick up , probably, and lets wait until passing jugement. We are SO fortunate to have I believe the best football coach with the best football mind. Belichick will never take the popular pick if he doesnt feel right about it, for whatever reason. While others panic and take players who appease the fans and media, BB does whats best regardless of popularity in the short term. I firmy believe this. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Plluto29. Show Plluto29's posts

Could the Pats obtain, let's say Steve Smith from Carolina for a mid-round pick next year and perhaps an OLB who may help strengthen that area of need for the next couple of years?  In an ordinary  year, the Pats may have already accomplished this in Free-Agency and then this year's draft would look alot different in most peoples' minds then it does now.  There will be some free-agency before 2011 starts.  I would envision that the Pats will be interested in Steve Smith who seems destined to leave the Panthers before 2011.  A Steve Smith in our line-up along with getting back T. Warren, M.Wright, and I believe, an OLB to help our pass-rush, will definitely improve the talent level of an already talented Pats squad. 

Free-Agency and the draft were always viewed as two parts necessary to improve a  team's talent level in the off-season, this year will be no different.  The Pats will be in the market for help in the areas not addressed in the draft. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from coachgibby714. Show coachgibby714's posts

I am sooooooooooooo tired of reading and listening to the doomsayers who continually knock BB and his drafts and moves and whatever else---This man has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he knows how to build,maintain,and coach a championship winner or contender for a longer period of time than any coach in NFL history! They need new blood on the O-line with Light a Free Agent and aging,Neal retired,and who knows what with Mankins--BB might even wind up looking grand with the choice of Cannon if his treatments work out,along with Solder---If some of you gloom and doomers paid attention,Bodden just admitted recently that he is still not ready because of his shoulder problem,and Dowling is BIG and FAST,and since when can you have too many good DB's?----Green-Ellis is also a FA,and I love Faulk(but are we CERTAIN he will be healthy)?--The 2 draftees complement one another-one is a heavy hitter inside the tackles,the other goes outside well and can catch the ball(a la Faulk)----Mallett is an interesting choice,but BB sees the immense talent and Brady cannot play forever(and dont forget he is also not invulnerable to injury(2008)--As far as Pass rusher goes,the Pats already have a plethora of VERY YOUNG defenders from last year,and you also need veteran kind of guys to quickly master BB's intricate defenses---BB will probably address this in Free Agency or Trade when the labor mess allows!--IN short--If you whiners don't believe in this man by now,then move to Charlotte or Detroit or Cincinnati or some other Loserville USA and see how you like the situation there!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaPete. Show TampaPete's posts

theshinez writes,
    "So......what you're telling me is that On day one we turned two picks into....one offensive lineman."

It would be easier to take you seriously if you got your facts straight or at least didn't exaggerate like a woman detailing your shortcomings or a spinning pol.

BB turned two picks into Solder and Vereen plus a 1st round pick next year.

If you must fulminate, at least do it accurately.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rick8795. Show Rick8795's posts

Adding Steve Smith and maybe someone like Ray Edwards would make the draft look a lot better. Maybe Minn would not be too receptive towards NE after the last deal they got.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]I would like for ANYONE to defend Belichick right now. Please do. It is simply idiotic what the Pats are doing. Haven't we learned anything from past years?  This draft is a complete joke, one of the worst any team has had. How can one explain this? We all knew what the need was. A DE, OLB, WR.  Everyone knew we desperately needed a DE and a OLB. Yet BB doesnt know that?! You have got to be kidding me if you think it's alright to go into a season with such a weak D line. 1st round, 17th pick. can understand going with an OT. Could've taken Cameron Jordan. 28th pick- why trade it away if you can get Hayward, and he went to Steelers. Steelers know a thing or two about great LB's. Why pick a CB with 33th pick? We have McCourty and Bodden. Pretty Solid. What are they thinking drafting a RB? I thought we were fine with Ellis and Woohead. If they really want  a RB, why not take the best one in the draft, Ingram?! The 3rd round was simply a disgrace. So now we need a 2nd running back. He will be the 4th best running back on this team. That can be had in 6th round. Also wasted a pick on Mallett. So now a QB was our need? 3rd round pick who wont play in the next 4 years. I dare any of you to defend this nonsnece. Anyone remember wasting a 3rd round pick on Kevin O'Connell. Unbelievable. Belichick has simply lost his mind. Either he is not thinking straight or he has lost it when it comes to defense.  Apparently BB thinks its not neccesary  to have a defense like Packers, Steelers.Washington just selelcted Hankerson. How can anyone argue that this wouldn't be a better pick than Mallett or the 2nd rb we took?   Hope the Pats have fun with the marshmallow defense next year and midget WR's.

I dunno. I mean how many peeps in here actually correctly picked 50% of the same playser the Patriots picked this year? This is BB's MO. Predictably unpredictable.

It does not appear that our greatest need (pass rush) has been addressed for the second straight draft.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Or pass rush was a PERCEIVED need when in reality, though it is a need, is not as much of a need as OL, CB, RB and QB. Or the pass rushing talent just wasn't there when they picked? OR maybe the youngsters last year weren't set loose to get to the QB because BB wanted them to "do their job" and stay home and protect the run first. After they learn that responsibility then they can get after the QB when they recognize the pass. 

Lets face it, unless you are a member of the Pats scouting staff, you have no idea how anyone drafted by the Pats or any other team would fit with the Pats. None! That special teamer McCourty is a good case in point.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ender587. Show Ender587's posts

Anyone remember Laurence Maroney..?  You cant take one player Bill drafted and say "this player proves we should never question BB again!"  Maroney was a great prospect and even looked really good his first year.  He had this mean stiff arm and he would go after people with it.  You cant always for see lame ducks, but you have to put your team in the best possible percentages for success.  I think BB does that, but as fans we want to win now.  BB knows that this franchise 1. Is a business, and 2. Will exsist well after Tom Brady retires.  Its still hard as a fan though to see how we could win RIGHT NOW and then pass on the CHANCE because they are running a business and are looking at the long term.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnpanzer1. Show johnpanzer1's posts

Re: Is there an explanation for

Dude - how was your last draft? belichicks was pretty good. Ever hear of free agency? You can't meet every need in the draft. Ever notice we give up about 900 yards passing per game? Maybe lots of corners is a good idea. We have needed a break away running back for oh, i don't know, years?

He will add a DE and OLD that have a year or two of experience in free agency. I think this draft was better than the past two years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimyritz. Show jimyritz's posts

Well said....The deepest draft for some time when it came to DL/DE/OLB and the Pats don't do anything til round 6. He has an old, injury prone D-line and can't add any FA's due to the lock out. You want to take Solder at 17, fine...then why not take Mark Ingram at 28 and the best available DL or OLB at 33. Why trade out to a team that will be drafting between 25-30 in 2012? If you didn't like Ingram, then take the DL/OLB at 28...The drafting of Ryan Mallett was ridiculous. The guy isn't going to want to sit. Brady is signed til 2014 and Hoyer is a soldi back up. This is the type of draft you would typically see from other teams and laugh.You have 2, 1's, 2 2's and a 2 3's and this is what you come away with...Incomprehensible...

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoTorreUs. Show NoTorreUs's posts

Spetznaz24, didn't you write almost the exact same comments from last years draft too?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslee. Show pugslee's posts

if cameron jordan and mark ingram were cant miss picks how did they get out of the top 10.i will take the pats talent evaluators over mel kiper,mcshay and peter king.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mlgvt48. Show mlgvt48's posts

I like the Solder pick but think about what we got and what we could have gotten. Instead of 2 project RBS we could have had Ingram at 28 and then Da'Quan Bowers at 33. Yes Bowers knee may not be good but if it is he was a 1-5 pick. Decent risk in my mind.  Then we still could have added an OLB and Mallet. I like the Mallet pick but not in the context of what we got.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

If you hear BB's interviews before the draft he mentioned you don't only improve the team with the draft.

Bruschi explained why he preffers OLBs who have been in the league and can pickup the system which is sort of complex for LBs quicker than a rookie.  That's not to say Sheard (who Iwould had liked to see drafted) wouldn't end up a double digit sack person. 

With Light likely not returning, Katzur cut maybe TBC that frees up $$ to sign quality proven FAs.

I can tell you this, when the Pats had a running game and balanced attack they won a few SBs.  I love the RB picks, Dowling who did not have any injury problems prior to his senior season would had been a 1st round pick had he not had those injuries. 

Solder by many was considered the best LT prospect in the draft, he will start and help protect the aging brady.  Mallett, 1st and 3rd for him.  He will learn the system and clean his image.

Overall I like what BB did, did I want sheard yes but I also wanted Connor Barwin that hasn't worked out too good in houston.  Coach has a master plan.  Sit back and enjoy the ride, a 14-2 team who's fans are saying the coach doesn't know what he's doing just funny as hell.

For those who say bring back Pioli, well look at the last two drafts under Pioli and the two after he left what do you find?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]The Dowling pick strengthens a previous question spot because of the Wheatley miss and Butler struggles. You have to figure he'll get looks with Bodden and McCourty to see where 'play in case one of them (god forbid) goes down. Then, it's an Arrington/Dowling nickel competition, but after looking at Dowling's impressive film clips, he's clearly an outside CB to me.  Big, physical and rangy. He can hit and tackle, too. I never watched him play as I don't really watch much ACC stuff, but I can see why they are impressed. 
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

What dowling provides is flexibility to where you play DM, some plays you'll see DM come inside to cover those slot guys in 3 and 5. 

Dowling is an impressive CB, 6'2" 200 lbs, I agree he is an outside guy.  If he plays well it gives BB so much flexibility with his DBs.  He will also help in run support. Now you have 3 CBs who can take on a RB head on.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from War-Eagle. Show War-Eagle's posts

If the season started Today this post would have justification, but it doesn't start at least until September and after a Free Agent Period .

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Benkarkis. Show Benkarkis's posts

DUDES -

Have you actually looked at the 2006 - 2008 draft picks, that your god BB, was actively involved in.  Even the 2009 draft was hit and miss (Chung, Vollmer, Brace, and Butler). 

I admit, we all admit, that 2010 appears to be a GREAT draft.  But who knows - will Spikes improve, will Cunningham improve, they better. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

To the remark about having "old DL" : Wilfork is not yet old, Brace, Pryor, Moore, Wright not old. Ty Warren is getting up there. Gerrard Warren may not be back but he is up there. Those two are about it. Age is not the prblem on the DL. ANd I expect better play out of them.. I should say MORE CONSISTENT play as there were stretches where they were great.

As to the CONSTANT whining about OLB and pass rush: Let me ask everyone, what are the differences between a BB D and other Ds? Across the many and varied packages, which number more than most, it is critical to have the reads, roles and responsibilities down so that you can react rather than have to think. It is very much like a QB having to be able to quickly, automatically go through his progressions. In fact I would even suggest it is the development of the QB making in play adjustments that has forced Ds, especially BB type Ds to employ in play adjustments. This REQUIRES experience in the packages you are used in. So BB gets players comfortable with hand picked packages as they develop their repertoire.

Knowing this. realizing the impact of this, you should realize that there should be a significant difference between the play of units in most or all of their packages because they had so many young or new players on D last year. And at every level of the D (line , LBs, DBs). They should be expected to be better in every aspect of the game as a D just as a 2nd and 3rd year QB should be expected to be more polished, better with more experience.

Take the fact of all this into consideration when trying to assess where the Pats will be in week 1 and where they will be when the host the home playoff game after the have a by in the first round. And while you are considering this consider how the Jets will feel when they can't even back in to the playoffs this year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Benkarkis. Show Benkarkis's posts

How about Wide Receiver, there is NOBODY that strikes fear.  You are not winning a SB relying on your tight ends.

Gets back to 2006, when they tried winning without Givens and Branch.

You are trying to win a SB NOW! not make it to the playoffs and do 1 and out or 2 and out.

What's wrong with the JETS philosophy,  2 AFC finals in a row, and they still have an excellent team.  Look at the Steelers, since 2005, superior to the Patriots in all aspects.  Take the blinders off.

THEY NEED DRAFT HELP besides BB.

Sections
Shortcuts