Is there an explanation for this madness?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Re: Is there an explanation for this madness?

In Response to Re: Is there an explanation for this madness?:
    How about Wide Receiver, there is NOBODY that strikes fear.  You are not winning a SB relying on your tight ends. Gets back to 2006, when they tried winning without Givens and Branch. You are trying to win a SB NOW! not make it to the playoffs and do 1 and out or 2 and out. What's wrong with the JETS philosophy,  2 AFC finals in a row, and they still have an excellent team.  Look at the Steelers, since 2005, superior to the Patriots in all aspects.  Take the blinders off. THEY NEED DRAFT HELP besides BB.
    Posted by Benkarkis

The last time they won the SB they had Branch. Branch is comparable to what he was then. They have Welker now, not then. Their 3 young WR are at least decent and Endleman had injuries and Price looked good when he finally got on the field.

NOTE that Price needed experience (college O was limited) and Julian only first played WR in his rookie year (and hurt last year). SO they look OK and DO have an upside. May or may not be the answer but decent players.

You DO NOT need to have the best WR anymore than you have to have the best RB.

You need a good passing game. The Pats have one of the best.

If you want to complain about anything complain about not having a running game that can dominate... and they are trying to address that. - the film on Vereen looks really good. Not scary but reallllly good.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm sure you said that in 2008 when they went 11-5 without Brady. Are you arguing the level of talent in 2008 was better than now?  Remember who the starting corners were for that team? Deltha O'Neal and Ellis Hobbs. I'd love you to argue about your 8-8 statement.  In Response to Re: Is there an explanation for this madness? :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

Oh yeah!! I remember that year, it was the year...we didn't make the playoffs. It was also the year that everyone took a nap when they played us, because they knew they didn't have to face Brady. And if you don't like Hobbs or O'Neil...blame Bill, he drafted one of them and happily signed the other and sang his praise while he did it. Nooow I remember.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

How much experience as an NFL personnel analyst or GM does the OP have? How many hours did he spend actually evaluating these players with the tools and film available to an NFL Coach and staff? He must also be clairvoyant, since he apparently already knows how each of these players will work out.
    He does seem to have a great foundation in one point he made. He definitely knows something about being idiotic.
    Just read the signature...it explains why we read posts like this.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

How about Wide Receiver, there is NOBODY that strikes fear.  You are not winning a SB relying on your tight ends. Gets back to 2006, when they tried winning without Givens and Branch. You are trying to win a SB NOW! not make it to the playoffs and do 1 and out or 2 and out. What's wrong with the JETS philosophy,  2 AFC finals in a row, and they still have an excellent team.  Look at the Steelers, since 2005, superior to the Patriots in all aspects.  Take the blinders off. THEY NEED DRAFT HELP besides BB.
    Posted by Benkarkis

Ask that question after the CBA is in place and they cannot sign all the FAs they have.  They do not have the cap to keep all those "super stars" they hired last season to win the SB which oppsss they didn't do.

They are taking a step back this season.  What Pats young and talented, Jets old and not depth on the roster.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Boston fans....  Nothing's any good.....

This draft like any other cannot be assessed until they make the roster and play.

No we did not draft a stud OLB...  Oh well.  What should we do? Stop watching the PATS because some here project that they will not make the S.B.?  That seems to be negative consensus but I am certain that as the season comes on , the complainers will be here posting, game by game.

The negativity is ludicrous.  Boston fans...  Nothing's any good.  Must be the winters.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from N2thaIzzo. Show N2thaIzzo's posts

THE FREAKING TEAM WENT 14-2 LAST SEASON!!! 

The way you sound, its as if we went 2-14.  So what, we lost to the Jets in the playoffs,  (We'll maybe not so what, but you know what I mean) as most will point to the absence of any offense as the reason for losing that game. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PiBoy. Show PiBoy's posts

not going to defense BB. He didnt like the guy either because personal reasons or not fitting the system. He did the math for value and went with what they can get. Period. 

No offense, but if you think you know more about football than BB, why dont you apply for his job. We can all talk about football here, but actually coach one is different.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from coldburrito. Show coldburrito's posts

In Response to Re: Is there an explanation for this madness? : What dowling provides is flexibility to where you play DM, some plays you'll see DM come inside to cover those slot guys in 3 and 5.  Dowling is an impressive CB, 6'2" 200 lbs, I agree he is an outside guy.  If he plays well it gives BB so much flexibility with his DBs.  He will also help in run support. Now you have 3 CBs who can take on a RB head on.
    Posted by Pats7393

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Dowling move to FS, which would make Meriweather somewhat expendable.  I'll take a secondary of Bodden, McCourty, Chung, and Dowling any day.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from extrapoint. Show extrapoint's posts

In Re

I am going provide you some data and input for you to review. Now 2 years ago we needed a middle linebacker for replacing Teddy, we drafted Mayo worked out well, Last year we needed a true cornerback we drafted Devin worked out well for us, also an other middle linebacker in Spikes has a lot of promise along with Jermaine also has a lot of promise.

Now with that said, promise is the key word here.

Now the data:

In Our first super bowl team of 2001 we had these players Teddy Bruschi, Willie McGinest, Ty law, Mike Vrabel Lawyer Milloy, Richard Seymour, Ted Johnson, Bobby Hamiton to name a few. This Defense was ranked #6 in points given up that year. 

Ok here is the interesting stats people ALWAYS FORGET ABOUT .  Rookie years and first couple years :  Teddy (3rd pick)started  0 games, next year: 1 game started, next year: 7 games started: next year14,  Willie (1st rd pick) started 7 games, 16 the next year, Ty Law (1st rd pick) started 7 games, next year started 12 games,  Mike Vrabel (3rd pick Steelers) 0 games started, next year 0 games started, next year 0 games started, next year 0 games started, then went to NE started 12 games, Lawyer Milloy, (2nd rd pick) started 10 games, Richard Seymour, (1st rd #6 pick) started 10 games, Bobby Hamiton (undrafted) started 11 games next year 0 games started, next year 1 game, next year 0 games started, then came to NE started 16 games, Ted Johnson (2nd rd pick)started 12 games.

So all that data says is that most players don’t hit their FULL stride the first year, in fact it may take 3 or more years to make it. Just Ask Teddy, Vrabel,  it shows that you can’t count out a player, and the players drafted last year and the year before that for our defense , they are getting better, and while this isn’t a top 10 defense yet, the talent is there to grow into a good solid top 10 defense.

You down play the 2 year jump and I show you facts on great players who did just that for this team. Couple that with free agent signing, Cory, Rodney a to name a few, this young defense we have now has GREAT promise.

Coach Bill Drafted to fill POTENTIAL ISSUES in 2011  Depth at RB, OT, TE, OG he knows what he has talent wise on defense, and he know his weakness in his offence….Protect Brady, sure up another blocker in the TE and OT and OG spots

With Neal (OG) retired, Taylor retired (RB), Morris (RB) on his last legs and hasn’t played a full season in 2 years, Alge (Blocking TE) not getting any younger, Matt Light (LT free agent) and Kazar OG with back problems, Seems Coach Bill drafted for the potential needs on the league leading scoring Offense in the NFL and to protect the League MVP

In Bill We trust!

sponse to Is there an explanation for this madness? :
    Posted by extrapoint

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamchampy. Show iamchampy's posts

you spoiled brat fans, get over yourself, bb is so much smarter then you evern will be in football and that includes the so called draft pundits.  so shut up and enjoy the great season we are about to have oh, and lets wait to see what happehns in free agency for the pass rush you cry babbies. 
    Posted by hagen910

x2. Reading this thread has been like listening to WEEI in early April, miserable people complaining about absolutely nothing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Noonan72. Show Noonan72's posts

"x2. Reading this thread has been like listening to WEEI in early April, miserable people complaining about absolutely nothing."

(knodding in agreement)

Belichick is paid millions of dollars to sit about 18 hours a day and think about nothing but how to win a championship for the Pats.  The guys has a huge staff that does exactly the same thing.  He's regularly mentioned as one of the all time greatest coaches and yet, some random dude on a message board decides to take six minutes out of his day and whine because HE doesn't understand Belichick's plan.  

LOL 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

"x2. Reading this thread has been like listening to WEEI in early April, miserable people complaining about absolutely nothing." (knodding in agreement) Belichick is paid millions of dollars to sit about 18 hours a day and think about nothing but how to win a championship for the Pats.  The guys has a huge staff that does exactly the same thing.  He's regularly mentioned as one of the all time greatest coaches and yet, some random dude on a message board decides to take six minutes out of his day and whine because HE doesn't understand Belichick's plan.   LOL 
    Posted by Noonan72

Well said!  I love how BB is so horrible at drafting and all he does is trade picks, he doesn't draft for "need", yet some how, by miracle I suppose, he is currently in a decade long run of owning the AFC East.

If the guy who started this thread can't handle winning any longer he should become a Bengels fan, I'm sure they could use some "smart" fans.....

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

well lets see what happens in FA..... why grab a younger guy to develop when you already have Price, Tate and Edelman still ahsnt been consistent (more getting on the field and not getting the opportunity).

FA may bring in a vet - like Moss! kidding if a vet someone that can stretch the field and teach the youngsters

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TMoody11. Show TMoody11's posts

While I was a bit confused (and disappointed by them passing on Ingram) on what Bill was doing during the draft, but I remembered something that he said a while back that he likes veterans in the LB positions because they've been in the league and have seen various schemes...which makes it easer for them to pick up his defense.  My guess is that he will work the FA market once it is available.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zippy9. Show Zippy9's posts

No doubt, spetznaz, you know more about football than Bill Belichick.  How's things at the Walmart?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Yeah, let's not talk football. Doing that would be just plain nuts. Let's just worship at the alter of the genius and consecrte his every move as perfection.

So, don't ever let me catch any of you clowns criticizing anybody that is in the NFL or has ever been in the NFL because they obviously know more about football than you ever will.

And all your attaboys for BB are out of line too because you don't know enough about football to know if they were good decisions or not.

So let's keep it simple so even us unknowing fans can understand it. How many SBs has BB won in the last 6 years? Even an idiot understands what zero is.

Now go kiss Matt Millen's dupa because he is a football genius compared to you.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

I was always supportive of every pick last year. This year is another story. Really think BB needs to be stripped of his picking. I feel BB really doesnt know how to build the team he needs. Hes turning the Pats into the Browns when he coached them.
    Posted by VirginiaBostonFan

"Really think BB needs to be stripped of his picking." finaly one other person says it!  great coach; barely average( to blow average) at drafting. if kraft were wise, he'd have a real gm likeall th better tamsin the leagu do. the majority of people on thisboard see with rose colored glasses. thanks for starting this thread.

many teams did very well. pats were a little ho hum "c" maybe, we'll see how they do.

many teams had some of the same top needs and most didnt have 9 picks
    lets look at a few:

-houston: watt, reed and harris and keo. thats a haul
    -detroit: failey, titus young, mikel leshoure
    -washington: kerrigan, jenkins, hankerson, helu and niles paul
    -new orleans: jorrdan, ingram, martez wilson, johnny patrick AND GREG ROMEUS
    -colts got 2 top tier offensive lineman for manning, and carter and nevis
    -packers won the sb and still got a top tackle and cobb, maybe the best all around receiver/playmaker in the draft
    -jets: wilkerson, ellis, powel, kerley, mcelroy
    -browns: phil taylor, sheard, greg little (de, olb, beast huge wr who can catch)
    -kc: baldwin, hudson, houston, bailey, jalil brown, ricky stanzi, etc their draft team could help us a lot.
    -dolphins did good with pouncey, thomas and gates
    -pittsburgh did ok wiht heyward, gilbert, brown and carter
    -arizona did well: peterson, williams housler adn acho
    - falcons also got Jacquizz Rodgers and dent, along with julio jones
    -even the cowboys improved with smith, brice carter and demarco murray
    -giants look good with prince, austin and jernigan
    -rams will be much better with quinn, salas and pettis

the only other team that looked like a "d" grade might be seattle, and us if these "risks" and free agency dont turn out well fopr us.

what did we get; some 'potential' at t and g, a good, but often injured tall cb that we did need, but maybe 5th or 6th on our list of needs, a change of pace back some are optimistically calling a 3 down back, a big, not fast short yardage back who could have been had 2 rounds later, ryan malet, hardly one of our team needs (so bill can trade him for a higher than 3rd round pick (maybe) later,  to continue his addiction to more picks over drafting game changers when they are needed), a te who can block, a flyer on a de, and a db who couldnt start for his college team.

some of these guys could be good, but as walter football, one of THE most respected sources on draft and draft evaluation said, every pick was a very risky choice/player. they would have given us a "d" except for the future picks we got. so we got a "c" and didnt take players we could have at our positions of need (at de, olb, wr, rb-higher rated and all purpose backs) instead of trading and also instead of picking less needed riskier players.

a little anti-belichick in the atlanta hawks trading several picks for a piece they absolutely need to compete both in their division and for the super bowl. if hes the stud that puts them over the top, no one can call their move wrong even though they trades from 27 to 6 in round 1.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

The "whining" here is justified. Tom Brady and VW should be pizzed off. Tom has 3 years left and they are being pizzed away by stockpiling drafts like some kind of miser ... cripes Atlanta is trying to win NOW with a 26 year old QB and Pats are focused on the future with a 35 year old QB ... Poor old VW has been left to fend for himself AGAIN for 2011 - he's probably praying th elockout does not get resolved this year ... his career is going ot be shortened by 5 years having to cover every position on the D-Line due to lack of depth and talent. R1 28 ... Why not Heyward? Wilkerson? 2012 New Orleans pick? Big deal. 2nd R - They coud have gotten Vereen in the 3rd R, no problem.  The pass rushgers were still there Sheard, Reed, Houston The 3rd Round? Pizzed away. Cripes of the present Defense personnel is so good, why not an O Guard? Boling, Rackley, Moffit????? R3 I can live with Mallet (well not really ...) But Ridley??? He was rated the 26 RB ....26th!!!!! Solder probably had a better 40 than him ... He would have been an UDFA. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. Clearly 2010 was the anomaly .... Another year of TBC and no-name DE's getting run over by the f'n Jests.
    Posted by CanadianPat

WOW! where the heck have you guys been for the last 3 months.
    i've been largely on mb's mock thread marathon. i am one of the few on there who said it like it is like several of you on this thread have. jeesh, i thought i was the only one. thanks for being the voice (s) of reason!
    someone had to say it, "the emperor has no clothes!"

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: Is there an explanation for this madness? : How many other teams havent won a SB in the last 6 years? How can you be a NE sports fan and make a comment lke this? Boston teams have gone decades without wining anything and when they finally do win a couple everybody feels entitled to win every year. I'll agree that BB makes draft day moves that make you scratch your head and everybody piles on until the dust settles. During the draft everybody trashes all the trading of picks but when its said and done almost everybody marvels at how BB walked away with the most value for his draft. I dont allways agree either but we clearly dont have all the info on players that he does. Another line of thought is maybe BB doesnt want to add any more youth to an already young Defense right now. Maybe a veteran DE/OLB will be added to give the young guys more leadership. With that mindset, I expect that the Pats are going to be players in the FA market this year. There are several DL/OLB's I could see them going after. Jenkins(GB), Kiwanuka(NYG), C.Johnson(CAR), Woodley(Pitt), or Hali(KC) are just a few names off the top of my head that would more than fill the pass rush roles needed by the Pats. For WR I'd like to see Sidney Rice(MIN) or even James Jones(GB) put on the Pats jersey. WR isnt a huge area of need for them yet, but its not far away. Go Pats!
    Posted by wonderdrums

" Is there an explanation for this madness? : How many other teams havent won a SB in the last 6 years? How can you be a NE sports fan and make a comment lke this? Boston teams have gone decades without wining anything and when they finally do win a couple everybody feels entitled to win every year. "
    missing the point.
    we have a qb and a coach with surrounding decent players where we could win the super bowl if we just got a pass rush, including in the past few years and this year, instead of wasting the opportunity of one of the better qb's of all time and a great coach who should be winning more super bowls and maybe retire with n.e having the most in history and brady and belichick with the most for a coach and most for a qb respectively. its a waste. all because kraft is afraid bb will walk if he doesnt "buy the groceries".
    great coach, not great director of the draft.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: Is there an explanation for this madness? : I think we're a top team for one reason only...Tom Brady. We are winning in spite of our lack luster drafts and poor decisions and lack of agressiveness during free agency. If this guy has even the slightest bad game we lose. You give him a defense and we don't get punched in the mouth in the playoffs at home...at home!! I've been saying this for four years; I don't care about the regular season, when things matter (playoffs) we are not built to play with the tough guys of the league. The QB's on other teams have nothing to worry about, the running backs know they will have a decent game and god forbid we fall behind and the other team can play a balanced offensive game. 
    Posted by mthurl

"I think we're a top team for one reason only...Tom Brady."

there! you said it!

" You give him a defense and we don't get punched in the mouth in the playoffs at home...at home!! I've been saying this for four years; I don't care about the regular season, when things matter (playoffs) we are not built to play with the tough guys of the league."

been saying this too  for  3 months on the mb draft thread, just about everybody refutes or is speechless (varying between) (crickets).

thanks for the post! and the difficult truth.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Yes, a lot of people have favorite college players and get really upset when their opinion is not validated by being picked to play for the Pats. This is what causes all the madness on this board at this time of the year.
    Posted by rtuinila

that and having the team minus a couple defensive studs to win several superbowls, but being too stubborn or set in draft pick acquiring ways to do so, and this wasting brady and belichick opportunities before they are gone.

Sections
Shortcuts