Is there an explanation for this madness?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Re: Is there an explanation for this madness?

I'm sure you said that in 2008 when they went 11-5 without Brady. Are you arguing the level of talent in 2008 was better than now? 

Remember who the starting corners were for that team? Deltha O'Neal and Ellis Hobbs. I'd love you to argue about your 8-8 statement. 

In Response to Re: Is there an explanation for this madness?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is there an explanation for this madness? : I agree. Clearly this draft didn't unfold the way they had planned and were left reaching/scrambling when their pick was up. I think what killed them is when they traded back and thought their guy or guys would still be there and they weren't...of course any move or selection was lauded by the draft experts. When you go 14-2 you get a lot of slack, but take away Tom and we're 8-8...wonder how smart they'd look during the draft then?
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I don't understand why people can't accept BB likes the players he drafted last year and some of the other holdovers? The D was very good in the second half last year (including the playoff game where the offense completely screwed the pooch) but people want 3 new starters in the front 7 with their first three picks. Now BB is a moron again. Hopefully some of the people who are jumping off the bridge don't come back when they are lighting up the nfl.

[QUOTE]in bb itrust for NOW, since he knows hi steam better than me and has the track record. bb has said over and over including yesterday that he LOVES the guys already on the roster and the guys returning from injury injuriesincluding ty and tbc. he just feels that if all the other young guys perform and maturely progress fromlast year as expected that the defensive deficiencies should be negated. also he is clearly prioritizing upgrades at running back and even the offensive line OVER the pass rush. it is what he is , thats y he is the GM as well as the coach. if it backfires, lets roast the heck outta him, but give him a shot. grasp it from his rose-colored glasses.
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

Oh, oh, I have an explanation:

Like most schulb fans, you know absolutely nothing about football--you're barely able to tell when to cheer--and so you misinterpret everything about the Pats' organizational philosophy and structure.

There, I helped you!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, oh, I have an explanation: Like most schulb fans, you know absolutely nothing about football--you're barely able to tell when to cheer--and so you misinterpret everything about the Pats' organizational philosophy and structure. There, I helped you!
    Posted by USMCM1A1[/QUOTE]

Hear Hear!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Drafting the QB was simply a matter of tremendously talented player who slipped two rounds because of character questions.The talent is there they had and used two instances where they spoke with him.Perhaps found themselves in a position of believing that they could deal with this young man and even if they can't,the risk of selecting him in the middle of the third round was minimal compared to his potential value if they are right and can turn him into a Patriot.Mallett's physical skils and collegiate performance far exceeded O'Connell's so that comparison is nearly moot.If Dowling had not suffered a few nagging injuries(noine of which should have any bearing on his physical capacity going forward),he,too,would have gone first round.As far as the contention that the players they targetted were gone when their turn came up,other than Watt, the Jordans,Heywards,Brooks,Sheards,etc.were available but B.B.,obviously,had enough questions as to how they fit in the Pats defensive system to opt not to select them and we'll know later these valuations were correct,for those going into similar systems.Many of us felt that there were questions as to whether these players wouldn't be better suited to other defensive schemes.My one area of confusion came with the selection of two running backs who have very similar skill sets(and no,I wasn't one who felt Ingram should have been a Pats pick,and his injuries were a part of the reason I felt that way).Vereen and Ridley are gifted,versitile RB's who should add,and perhaps significantly,to the Pats ground game as they each can bring it between the tackles,have enough elusiveness to be effective in the secondary,catch the ball very well,are willing and efective blockers and can help on special teams.But why both of them?Solder is,in my opinion,was the second best LOT in the draft(and it pains me to say this because I am a B.C. grad)and Dowling finallky gives them a big,fast CB.If they had selected a guard or outside linebacker with their first pick in the third I would be content even though I really hoped they could make a deal to get Watt.As for the danger of having the draft abolished,I believe that even the NFLPA realizes that the draft is an outright necessity if there is even a hope to establish parity which has been significant in fueling the growth of the NFL through the years.I'm troubled only slightly that the will be no draft in 2012 and the Pats have again added a first and second rounder. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncursed. Show uncursed's posts

There is no madness.Genius only.Instead of explaining the whole thing to you and some reporters.To keep it short you all have no inkling as to what is going on.To me this is one of the best drafts so far and we are not even done yet!!!!WOW

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Yes, a lot of people have favorite college players and get really upset when their opinion is not validated by being picked to play for the Pats. This is what causes all the madness on this board at this time of the year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

personally, having cooled off some and slept off last night's beer buzzed aggravation with this draft, i am kinda looking at it like the old adage "the truth generally lies somewhere in the middle". while i dont think this draft is utterly terrible, i also feel some of you homers that think it was some kinda slam dunk are delusional. if BB ever burned a first rounder on a one legged kicker with AIDS, you'd find a way to turn it into a "genius" pick.

i like the offensive line picks (cannon and solder), while there were other needs this was also a pretty glaring need to due mankins and lights status. i am not against the rb picks, although i think they couldve done better with who they chose considering that stiff from LSU probably wouldnt have gotten picked for another 2 rounds. not thrilled with ras-i dowling right there to start off the 2nd day...yeah i know i know homers, he finally hit on a corner with devin mccourtey last year after a decade of wasted cornerback picks. for this reason everyone is supposed to just assume dowling is another mccourtey right? watch him pull a hamstring while autographing his first pats mini helmet.

all in all, we know BB will coach up what he has to work with and they will continue to win plenty of games, enabling everyone to continue the whole "in bill we trust" mantra every draft day. but i cant help it if sometimes i get an inkling that the reason they win isnt because BB is some kinda draft wizard...it's because BB the coach is so damn good he still wins in spite of BB the GM.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from calchu7. Show calchu7's posts

I think BB wants to target the positions you listed through free agency.  Remember, the pats are pretty well below the cap and have room to sign a few FAs in the offseason.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

So......what you're telling me is that On day one we turned two picks into....one offensive lineman.  OK, we needed a Tackle. And on day two we drafted.... a dime CB who can't stay healthy!!  And them a small, 3rd down back, and then a slow RB!!! WOW BB is a genius guys!! You dudes are a bunch of HOMERS!! I agree with the Solder pick, but the rest of them are TRASH!!  And for all of you nerds who say" NO QB will be able to throw against all of our good CBs" know NOTHING about football.  If you can't get to the QB...... you'll never get off the field on 3rd down!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]So......what you're telling me is that On day one we turned two picks into....one offensive lineman.  OK, we needed a Tackle. And on day two we drafted.... a dime CB who can't stay healthy!!  And them a small, 3rd down back, and then a slow RB!!! WOW BB is a genius guys!! You dudes are a bunch of HOMERS!! I agree with the Solder pick, but the rest of them are TRASH!!  And for all of you nerds who say" NO QB will be able to throw against all of our good CBs" know NOTHING about football.  If you can't get to the QB...... you'll never get off the field on 3rd down!
    Posted by theshinez[/QUOTE]

You can spin it any way you want to. On paper they got a guy who could very well be an All Pro OLT for many years, A guard who could be a monster, a running back who is not JUST a third down back (the guy is strong and as big as the average feature backs in this league - bigger than some... he is 210, not a big back but in the range of 205-215 which is where most feature backs fall). A power runner (you call him slow. fine. most power runners are) who should be the best power rnner on the team since Coery (NOT Corey but the best power runner since Corey). Not a nickle back but a corner to cover big, tall WRs for which the Pats roster doesnt have a really good match up for.

No one argues that pass rush was not adressed. But remember this analogy: QBs usually take some time to develop. THey may play right away but they are better after 2 or 3 or even 4 years because they have (1) learned the system (2) developed chemistry with the offense, (3) learned how to read Ds, (4) developed confidence, (5) made the intellectual part of the game more automatic so they do not have to think it through during a play but simply react. This is not so different from what defensive players have to do in a BB D. Especially LBs. So I would expect  improved play from the lot and these young guys look good. Maybe not great excepting Mayo but good. And who knows. Look at Bruski, Vrabel etc. They BECAME excellent players. They were not All Pros in their first year or two. This group has SOME real players in it and maybe more than you think.

Also, take some heart in that the best pass rushing DL are coming back from injury. Not world class but solid pass rushers from a 3-4: Ty Warren and Mike Wright. And also TBC - I am not a big fan but he is a solid pass rusher (not great but solid when healthy which he was not at the end).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

[QUOTE]personally, having cooled off some and slept off last night's beer buzzed aggravation with this draft, i am kinda looking at it like the old adage "the truth generally lies somewhere in the middle". while i dont think this draft is utterly terrible, i also feel some of you homers that think it was some kinda slam dunk are delusional. if BB ever burned a first rounder on a one legged kicker with AIDS, you'd find a way to turn it into a "genius" pick. i like the offensive line picks (cannon and solder), while there were other needs this was also a pretty glaring need to due mankins and lights status. i am not against the rb picks, although i think they couldve done better with who they chose considering that stiff from LSU probably wouldnt have gotten picked for another 2 rounds. not thrilled with ras-i dowling right there to start off the 2nd day...yeah i know i know homers, he finally hit on a corner with devin mccourtey last year after a decade of wasted cornerback picks. for this reason everyone is supposed to just assume dowling is another mccourtey right? watch him pull a hamstring while autographing his first pats mini helmet. all in all, we know BB will coach up what he has to work with and they will continue to win plenty of games, enabling everyone to continue the whole "in bill we trust" mantra every draft day. but i cant help it if sometimes i get an inkling that the reason they win isnt because BB is some kinda draft wizard...it's because BB the coach is so damn good he still wins in spite of BB the GM.
    Posted by HOFFBURGER[/QUOTE]
    Good  post.  I  agree  there  are  a  lot  of  homers  on  this  board  who  lack  objectivity.  The  truth  is, except  for  last  year's  draft, we've  had  sub  par  drafts  the  past  five  years.  If  we  had  good  drafts, especially  on  the  defensive  side, the  PATS  would  have  won  atleast  one  Superbowl  in  the  past  6  years.  Reality  is  BB  is  a  very  good  coach  and  just  an  average  GM.  BB,  without  Brady, probably  would  never  have  won  a  superbowl.  If  BB  wins  another  Superbowl  with  Brady  and/or  wins  after  Brady  retires, then  I'll  certainly  stand  corrected.  Also, I  believe  if  Brady  had  been  drafted  by  Pittsburg  he'd  end  up  with  5  or  6  Superbowl  rings  b/c  they  always  put  out  a  good  defensive  team.  Rothlisberger  already  has  2  rings  and  he's  not  really  comparable  to  TB.   No  one  can  really  evaluate  a  draft  until  at  least  another  year.  I  like  the  Solder  pick  and  I  like  the  Mallett  pick  b/c  Mallett  seems  to  have  an  edge  to  him, like  Brady.  And  maybe  like  Brady, he'll  have  a  chip  on  his  shoulder.  The  other  picks  are  highly  questionable ...  but  we  will  see  how  they  work  out.  And  we  will  see  how  Ingram, Wilkerson, Jordan, Smith  and  Kerrigan  turn  out. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Let the whining begin!!!!!!!

Give it a rest people. Had they been able to trade up to above 10 you would have had your big name DE or OLB. If anything is shown by this draft it's pessimism toward the 2011 season being a full schedule of games if it's played at all.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

[QUOTE]So......what you're telling me is that On day one we turned two picks into....one offensive lineman.  OK, we needed a Tackle. And on day two we drafted.... a dime CB who can't stay healthy!!  And them a small, 3rd down back, and then a slow RB!!! WOW BB is a genius guys!! You dudes are a bunch of HOMERS!! I agree with the Solder pick, but the rest of them are TRASH!!  And for all of you nerds who say" NO QB will be able to throw against all of our good CBs" know NOTHING about football.  If you can't get to the QB...... you'll never get off the field on 3rd down!
    Posted by theshinez[/QUOTE]

Better a homer than a constant whiner

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from alexsdad94. Show alexsdad94's posts

Re: Is there an explanation for this madness? While I don't agree with what he did, it's obvious that he's trying to get youn...

[QUOTE]I agree with the above post. If you put aside your fantasy of getting a pass rusher, they got a solid list of guys.  We had needs at OL, Runningback, WR, OLB and DL.  Goodbye Fred Taylor , Faulk and Sammy Morris. I like the two running backs we got. We are going to get more productivity there.  We got a legit left tackle and a corner who could become a starter. In a passing league we have a very solid secondary core right now.  We need that monster OLB and a young impact d-line player but we filled all of our other needs except WR. I can live with that given the other needs we filled.  We will have to go to free agency to patch together what we can on the d-line. 
    Posted by Macrawn[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from alexsdad94. Show alexsdad94's posts

While I don't agree with what he did,it's obvious he's trying to get younger on offense just like he did with the defense last year. The offense needs to replace 3 older running backs and even if they bring Matt Light back, needs depth at tackle and guard. Also, other than Mccourty last year, we didn't have another corner worth a damn.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jh13. Show jh13's posts

read the first page and that was all I could stand.  For those of you who don't like what the professional NFL management picked, go cheer for the Jets and good riddence.

We are definitely not set at RB so picking two works.  CB is a definite need as we only have 2 solid CBs and a couple so-so CBs.  Just having two solid CBs is NOT being set at that position.  Taking a gamble on a top QB in the third round could pay huge dividends.

As far as not picking a DE....maybe BB didn't like the DEs or OLBs.  Everyone was clamoring for Hughes last year because he was "perfect" for the Pats.  Yeah, he flamed out big time.  So BB missed on Matthews, he's hit on many more than he's missed.

I'll defend BB since he is the professional and everyone else go cheer for the team who gets the "A" grade from Kiper.  Your not needed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATyler85. Show ATyler85's posts

I think Bill just saw that when their picks rolled around, the pass rusher he wanted just wasn't there.  So, what do you do?  You draft the best available guy, especially ones in positions that will open up due to free agency, and then you use the money saved from not re-signing some of these guys to go out and hand pick who you want on defense through free-agency.... they also have picks next year they can use to trade for whomever they want.

The draft is just a part of forming a team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soh378. Show soh378's posts

[QUOTE]This is all the the whining about McCourty all over again. How did that turn out? Didn't he pick off 7 passes and go to the Pro Bowl in his rookie year? My point being, judging a draft before a single one of its players have stepped onto the field is asanine and immature. - I think Soldier will be a staple at Tackle for the next decade, the second most important position on the offense. - Vareen should have an immediate impact on the running game. We now have a very young, very fresh 4-headed monster in the backfield, in case you babies who were crying about having no running game didn't notice. - Dowling has a great skillset and would have gone much higher if not for injuries. With him, McCourty, and Bodden it will be tough to throw it against this secondary. People riped the McCourty pick, imagine if we hadn't had him when Bodden went down... - I'll admit I am skeptical on Mallet but we shall see. Being around a true pro like Brady should help his attitude, if not he will be shown the door. Maybe they drafted because they are receiving inquires about Hoyer...who knows?
    Posted by FishTaco64[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Benkarkis. Show Benkarkis's posts

EXACTLY,  IF the PATRIOTS had DRAFTED even AVERAGE in 2006 and 2007, they would have won the freaking Super Bowl in one of those 2 years.

Remember in 2006 they pooped out against the Colts in Indy in the second half.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is there an explanation for this madness? : Good  post.  I  agree  there  are  a  lot  of  homers  on  this  board  who  lack  objectivity.  The  truth  is, except  for  last  year's  draft, we've  had  sub  par  drafts  the  past  five  years.  If  we  had  good  drafts, especially  on  the  defensive  side, the  PATS  would  have  won  atleast  one  Superbowl  in  the  past  6  years.  Reality  is  BB  is  a  very  good  coach  and  just  an  average  GM.  BB,  without  Brady, probably  would  never  have  won  a  superbowl.  If  BB  wins  another  Superbowl  with  Brady  and/or  wins  after  Brady  retires, then  I'll  certainly  stand  corrected.  Also, I  believe  if  Brady  had  been  drafted  by  Pittsburg  he'd  end  up  with  5  or  6  Superbowl  rings  b/c  they  always  put  out  a  good  defensive  team.  Rothlisberger  already  has  2  rings  and  he's  not  really  comparable  to  TB.   No  one  can  really  evaluate  a  draft  until  at  least  another  year.  I  like  the  Solder  pick  and  I  like  the  Mallett  pick  b/c  Mallett  seems  to  have  an  edge  to  him, like  Brady.  And  maybe  like  Brady, he'll  have  a  chip  on  his  shoulder.  The  other  picks  are  highly  questionable ...  but  we  will  see  how  they  work  out.  And  we  will  see  how  Ingram, Wilkerson, Jordan, Smith  and  Kerrigan  turn  out. 
    Posted by zeitgeist49[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Benkarkis. Show Benkarkis's posts

Homers versus Whiners  -  I love it.

We all want the Patriots to win and with Brady aging time is running short.

The point is --  if they had good drafts in 06 or 07, or even 08 another Super Bowl victory or two might have happened.  Yes, Brady injury in 08 was a killer. Understood.

Now it is slipping further away.

They need some studs.  Look at Green Bay, Pittsburgh, etc;  you need some stand outs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Benkarkis. Show Benkarkis's posts

Yes, BB is a great coach.  14 - 2 amazing, 11 -5 with Cassell, amazing.

It's the drafting that is very, very suspect. 

Except for 2010 which was excellent, I get that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]I think Bill just saw that when their picks rolled around, the pass rusher he wanted just wasn't there.  So, what do you do?  You draft the best available guy, especially ones in positions that will open up due to free agency, and then you use the money saved from not re-signing some of these guys to go out and hand pick who you want on defense through free-agency.... they also have picks next year they can use to trade for whomever they want. The draft is just a part of forming a team.
    Posted by ATyler85[/QUOTE]

Are you telling us that the RB's drafted back to back in rounds 2 & 3 are BETTER than Ingraham? Do you think ANY RB currently on the roster is better than Ingraham? If you're serious, I have to ask if you are under the influence.

It was Stud Time,a nd they came out Dud Time... again.

I'm tired of double digit wins and then One And Dones in the post season. elent can get you there, but STUDS win it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Is there an explanation for this madness?:
    [QUOTE]I would like for ANYONE to defend Belichick right now. Please do. It is simply idiotic what the Pats are doing. Haven't we learned anything from past years?  This draft is a complete joke, one of the worst any team has had. How can one explain this? We all knew what the need was. A DE, OLB, WR.  Everyone knew we desperately needed a DE and a OLB. Yet BB doesnt know that?! You have got to be kidding me if you think it's alright to go into a season with such a weak D line. 1st round, 17th pick. can understand going with an OT. Could've taken Cameron Jordan. 28th pick- why trade it away if you can get Hayward, and he went to Steelers. Steelers know a thing or two about great LB's. Why pick a CB with 33th pick? We have McCourty and Bodden. Pretty Solid. What are they thinking drafting a RB? I thought we were fine with Ellis and Woohead. If they really want  a RB, why not take the best one in the draft, Ingram?! The 3rd round was simply a disgrace. So now we need a 2nd running back. He will be the 4th best running back on this team. That can be had in 6th round. Also wasted a pick on Mallett. So now a QB was our need? 3rd round pick who wont play in the next 4 years. I dare any of you to defend this nonsnece. Anyone remember wasting a 3rd round pick on Kevin O'Connell. Unbelievable. Belichick has simply lost his mind. Either he is not thinking straight or he has lost it when it comes to defense.  Apparently BB thinks its not neccesary  to have a defense like Packers, Steelers.Washington just selelcted Hankerson. How can anyone argue that this wouldn't be a better pick than Mallett or the 2nd rb we took?   Hope the Pats have fun with the marshmallow defense next year and midget WR's.
    Posted by Spetznaz24[/QUOTE]

I'll defend BB to a degree. If he thought that Heyward and Wilkerson were more valuable to the Pats than the 56th overall pick and the Saints' #1 pick in 2012, he would have taken them. Obviously, he did not. It remains to be seen whether or not he was right.

I didn't like the Dowling pick either, because the guy is injury prone. He has great physical tools. But he sounds like the type of guy who will get up in the middle of the night to get a glass of water, and pull a hamstring in the process. The Dowling selection also tells me that BB thought this to be a very weak draft...and that he didn't think too much of potential pass-rushers, Jabaal Sheard and Brooks Reed. Again, time will tell as to whether he's right.

Like you, I'm unhappy about what BB did with the 56th and 60th selections. To me, this all but ruined the Pats' draft...as I expanded on in great detail in my Report Card post.

The trade of the 60th pick netted BB the 73rd and the 138th overall selections. I hated the Ridley pick...because I felt that he could have been had in round 4 or 5. But, kudos to BB for the Marcus Cannon selection. If not for healthg issues, Cannon likely would have been selected in the mid 2nd-3rd round. He's a mountain of a man, and the RG of the future for the Patriots.

I totally disagree with you on the Mallett pick. I felt that he was the best QB prospect in this draft. He's accurate, got a cannon for an arm, and has Roethlisburger-like size, standing 6'7", and weighing in at 255 pounds. The guy is either going to flop, or become a star QB. Tom Brady is 34 years old, and can't go on forever. If the Pats hit the jackpot on this guy, they have their franchise QB for the next decade! Or...they have a bargaining chip that will net them a first round draft choice, in the future. That's well worth the risk of the 74th overall pick, in a weak draft class.

Yes...the draft could have gone better, But...it's not nearly as bad as you let on. If Solder and Dowling end up being good players, it's a success. If anybody other than them produce, it's gravy. Those two guys are the key to this draft.    

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bramrok. Show bramrok's posts

Bellichick has become an offensive coach football and offensive in a moral sense to the fan base; his defense cant stop anyone and he does not care. he likes to outscore opponents in the regular season and lose in the first round in the playofffs. he lost his mind a few years ago and this is the continuance.